Fans of the Loser Point?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Fans of the Loser Point?

So the B's have 5 more wins than Ottawa yet are only 3 points ahead. The main cause of this ridiculousness is the loser point thanks to the implementation of the shootout.

When the shootout was first introduced it was exciting to watch, although stressful to the goalies no doubt. The question is; has it run its course? Is it time to revert back to the old system?

Any comments are appreciated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: Fans of the Loser Point?

I honestly hate the shootout. Why completely stop the momentum of a game to have a skills competition that doesn't reflect how the game was played at all.

Ex: the Bruins out play the Red Wings for most of the game, including overtime. Then, the flow of the game abruptly ends to play a shooting game and the Red Wings get the W, and an extra point. 

Ottawa is a .500 team if you count their OTL's as Loses, yet are on the Bruins tail somehow. Make no sense to me. 

Hockey is a team sport, and the shoot out is not. Would love to see them get rid of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

I tend to agree with you Biss. However, I was talking hockey with a hardcore NYR friend of mine on the weekend, over a few beverages of course, and he stated that the worth of the shootout can be seen by the fans in the stands who still get off their seats and go crazy during it. Ultimately, so his argument went, it is the fans who pay the big bucks to be there and they tend to love it.

Not sure where I stand on this issue.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point?:
    [QUOTE]I tend to agree with you Biss. However, I was talking hockey with a hardcore NYR friend of mine on the weekend, over a few beverages of course, and he stated that the worth of the shootout can be seen by the fans in the stands who still get off their seats and go crazy during it. Ultimately, so his argument went, it is the fans who pay the big bucks to be there and they tend to love it. Not sure where I stand on this issue.....
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

The question is whether or not those same fans would buy more tickets if the game ended in a tie instead of a skills competition.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from burythehabs. Show burythehabs's posts

Ottawa has the same number of regulation losses as the Bruins, with 2 more games played. So I find it accurate that they are not far behind. It is Boston's success in overtime/shoot out that separates them

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point? : The question is whether or not those same fans would buy more tickets if the game ended in a tie instead of a skills competition.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Very good question. What are your thoughts?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I would prefer to see games decided by open play, rather than a shootout.  I would recommend the current 5 min OT extended with 3-on-3 play for an additional 5 minutes, and if the game is still tied, then it ends that way, with each team getting a point.  The team losing in OT does not receive a point.

I would recommend the same for playoff games, with the "5 min" replaced by "20-minute period";  i.e. 1st OT period 4-on-4, then 3-on-3 thereafter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point? : Very good question. What are your thoughts? Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

The question was answered it was a great marketing ploy by the NHL. Maybe concession boy JJ came up with the idea. Next time watch the end of an OT the exits get flooded with fans running for another round before the shootout starts...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I would prefer to see games decided by open play, rather than a shootout.  I would recommend the current 5 min OT extended with 3-on-3 play for an additional 5 minutes, and if the game is still tied, then it ends that way, with each team getting a point.  The team losing in OT does not receive a point. I would recommend the same for playoff games, with the "5 min" replaced by "20-minute period";  i.e. 1st OT period 4-on-4, then 3-on-3 thereafter.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    That's still too gimmicky for my liking. I'll admit though, I've never seen a problem with ties.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point? : That's still too gimmicky for my liking. I'll admit though, I've never seen a problem with ties.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

dez - It was part of the NHL for decades.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point? : The question was answered it was a great marketing ploy by the NHL. Maybe concession boy JJ came up with the idea. Next time watch the end of an OT the exits get flooded with fans running for another round before the shootout starts...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Well, if tonight goes to a shootout I will make sure to watch all the fans rush to the exits...lol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I hate ties, I hate the shootout, and I hate the loser point.

Do 4 on 4, then 3 on 3, 2 on 2 until someone wins.  At least it's hockey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]I hate ties, I hate the shootout, and I hate the loser point. Do 4 on 4, then 3 on 3, 2 on 2 until someone wins.  At least it's hockey.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of 3 on 3 hockey and i think NHLPA would have  problem with it. Theyre be injured hamstrings and groins. I dont think it would ever get to 2 on 2 and if it did it would be rare. i don't like ties, dont like games decided by shootouts and hate a losing team getting a point. Not sure if there is a right answer to this but in the regular season I guess the right answer is the one with the most entertainment value.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

I'd be open to losing the loser point or the shootout, but not both. Watching teams shut down in OT so they could hang on to the tie point they had was awful.

For what it's worth I don't mind seeing the Bruins get an extra point for the mentioned Detroit game versus the efforts they put forth in their last FL swing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

I should also mention I would be a big fan of cutting the schedule in half, making teams play no more than twice a week and with the lighter schedule making them play hockey until an end comes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point? : Well, if tonight goes to a shootout I will make sure to watch all the fans rush to the exits...lol. Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

You don't understand money and marketing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

If you look at ROW (since shootout wins barely qualify, as far as I am concerned) the Bruins are only two wins up on the Senators, so them being close isn't that big of an issue in my mind.

Perhaps a shootout should only be for one point.  Looser gets none.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

I hated ties. Shoot out is pretty fun to watch. But I agree with Blaze, some teams are shuting down during overtime to ensure their 1 point.

But over all, I don't mind the point to the loosers, because, anyway, with ties, both teams had one point too. You get an extra with a skill comptetition, yes, but at least, skill is the raw expression of the player's talent, both shooters and goalies, no ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point? : You don't understand money and marketing.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right in that regard. No argument from me there.

When the shootout first came to be I was intrigued by the process but now I am getting more annoyed with it. The fact that some teams can possibly make the playoffs off of what is an obvious gimmick makes me shake my head. I hope that the time will come in the near future to revisit its viability but I am not holding my breath.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point? : You are absolutely right in that regard. No argument from me there. When the shootout first came to be I was intrigued by the process but now I am getting more annoyed with it. The fact that some teams can possibly make the playoffs off of what is an obvious gimmick makes me shake my head. I hope that the time will come in the near future to revisit its viability but I am not holding my breath.

I think it's tough to make a policy decision based on something that may or may not be a one-year anomaly.  Over time, wouldn't one expect that things would even out?  A team which gains points from the shootout in one year may lose them next year. Unless you're absolutely horrible in the shootout, in which case it won't make that much difference, because you're getting the one point from what would have been a tie anyways.

That being said, I stand by my previous post, advocating for a 4-on-4, moving to a 3-on-3.  I don't advocate going to 2-on-2. I would add one additional thing, though -- I would suggest that teams change ends before OT, because the "long change" sets up a greater likelihood of a goal being scored, especially when you only have 4 or 3 players on the ice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

If they ever move to a longer 4-on-4 session or even 3-on-3, that's when it would make sense to eliminate the loser point. In order to have winner take all points, it has to be some semblance of team play until the end.

DO NOT change any rules for playoffs. That's absurd. Play until a goal is scored.

I would stick with 4-on-4 for 10 minutes. Winner gets 2 points. Loser gets none. If tied after 10 extra minutes, end in a tie with both teams getting 1 point.

I understand teams locked it down in the old 5-on-5 five minute to protect the one point in the past, but extending the time and going 4-on-4 will help that problem. No shootout.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point? : Very good question. What are your thoughts?

I think the ticket count remains exactly the same.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fans of the Loser Point? : I think the ticket count remains exactly the same.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Yep. Teams like TO will still sell out regardless. Other teams like Carolina and Phoenix will still have trouble selling out. No difference. Time to revisit the rationale for the shootout?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Just saw that Florida has 15 points from losing in OT.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]I should also mention I would be a big fan of cutting the schedule in half, making teams play no more than twice a week and with the lighter schedule making them play hockey until an end comes.
    Posted by BlazeTrailer[/QUOTE]

And you call my idea rubbish??!!

Sections
Shortcuts