Farmville updates Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Farmville updates Part II

By Mark Divver The ninth weekend of the season was a tremendous one for the Providence Bruins as they won all three games on the road. The shootout win in Hershey on Sunday evening was especially satisfying considering that the team didn't arrive from Norfolk until 4 o'clock on Sunday morning. My take on the good, the bad and the ugly:

Good

*** Grabbing six points on the weekend moved the P-Bruins up to sixth place in the Eastern Conference.

*** David Warsofsky continues to shine. His setup for Alex Khokhlachev on Sunday was a thing of beauty, then he won the game with a shootout goal. Game in and game out, he's arguably been Providence's best player so far.

*** Solid weekend for Bobby Robins with a goal and four shots on Friday, a fight on Saturday, and an assist on Sunday.

*** With 12 goals in 21 games, Matt Fraser is on pace to crack the 40-goal plateau. The only P-Bruin in history to do that was Tim Sweeney, who had 41 in 192-93.

*** Nick Johnson, who missed Sunday's game with the stomach flu, has 7 points, including 4 goals, in his last 7 games.

*** With 11 points in his last 12 games, including a pretty finish on Sunday, Alex Khokhlachev is playing his best hockey of the season.

*** Somewhat quietly, Seth Griffith continues to produce. His four-game point streak was snapped in Hershey, but he chipped in with a shootout goal.

*** Providence received steady goaltending from both Nik Svedberg and Malcolm Subban.

*** Another goal for Anthony Camara this weekend, and he scored in the shootout on Sunday, too.

*** Joe Morrow was credited with 9 shots on goal on Saturday night.

*** Zach Trotman was plus-5 for the weekend. His plus-10 is the best on the team.

Bad

*** Kevan Miller had an excellent three-game stint in Boston, but his minus-8 is Providence's worst.

*** Only Rockford (84) and Bridgeport (73) have given up more goals than the P-Bruins (71).

Ugly

*** The penalty kill is still last in the league. On the bright side, the P-Bruins were shorthanded just once on Saturday and once on Sunday."

The Snicker bars worked!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"And the Providence Bruins pull out a win here today vs the Manchester Monarchs! The final score was 7-2 with the Bruins leading in shots 33-27. The Bruins had a huge third period scoring 5 goals in the last period. They were scored by Cunningham, Fraser (2), Khokhlachev and Cross. Matt Fraser had a hat-trick on the night. David Warsofsky recorded a goal and two assists."

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/video/providence-bruins-vs-manchester-monarchs/8885?cmp=share

Tommy Cross with a blast from the point. You can only hope too contain the Baby Bs!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Great video, alot of good talent there and the passing was excellent, along with a couple of nice rushes out of there own end.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

A win over Manchester?!?! 

I think they're 1-6 against the Monarchs now.  Talk about breaking out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm going tonight to see them tonight, yah going to miss the Pens game...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Would like to see some of them get a chance in Boston,this season to see what they got,unfortunetly Bruin forwards have to get hurt before any call ups,really don't like that rule if players called up to many times,they have to pass waivers to go back down,To me that just prevents them from getting better chance to play in NHL,seems like teams are reluctant to call guys up unless there is an injury.Think teams should be able to call guys up whenever they want or send them down as often as they want.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Hey can you get me Tommy Cross's autograph ?

Tongue Out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Hey can you get me Tommy Cross's autograph ?

Tongue Out

I ended up sitting right behind the bench.  And somehow or other I got into a stare down with Cross.  It was weird.

Cross's game has improved some, he's a reliable 3rd d pair in the AHL and consistent.  However, no spark in his game that I see that would bring him to the NHL level.  He was a -1 tonight.

Koko.  He scored in the shootout.  His skating is so much improved over the last few years.  Weird thing is that he seems to have lost his quick hands.  It's like the skill got transfered from his hands to his feet which all adds up to a typical career ahl type player.  He was much more interesting as a prospect.  I don't like the way his game developed, all of a sudden he seems to have peaked.

Subban keeps growing and maturing, he seems to be progressing nicely.

Spooner looking really good, crisp passing - best on the team IMO.  Matter of fact a lot of things he does I think are the best on the ream.  He got the first goal for Providence tonight and scored in the shootout.  I think he deserves to be in the NHL.

Otherwise there's tons of talent in Providence.  Fun to watch.

It was bobble head night at Worcester 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Obstructed view ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I ended up sitting right behind the bench.  And somehow or other I got into a stare down with Cross.  It was weird.

Cross's game has improved some, he's a reliable 3rd d pair in the AHL and consistent.  However, no spark in his game that I see that would bring him to the NHL level.  He was a -1 tonight.

Future coaching material maybe?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Obstructed view ?

Unreal.  7 bucks more per seat and we were right behind the bench.  Didn't like the seats tho, I don't like being that close.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Thanks for the update!

How did Cunningham, Morrow and Fraser look ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Future coaching material maybe?

Actually he seems like the coaching type.  I hear a lot about the character he has and he seems like he's tactic smart on the ice, but hockey sense and instinct wise not good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Thanks for the update!

How did Cunningham, Morrow and Fraser look ?

Morrow and Fraser registered some smart looking plays, Cunningham was 'average', but that's still good.

Being right where we were I was struck by how little the coaching staff interacted with the players, practically not at all.  I saw 2 conversations between players and coaches all night.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Farmhands going on the ice tonight in Toronto to put it too the test.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/video/providence-bruins-vs-portland-pirates/8932

PBruins D still providing a lot of the offense with the call ups. Svedberg shuts the door during the shootout.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Looks like at least one of the AHL fill-ins was ECHL player of the week Andrew Cherniwchan.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to neely66's comment:

There's nothing great In the farm. Nothing to get real excited about

Of course there isn't.  What did you expect?  That the Bruins would be hiding the rookie of the year down there?  There are adequate call ups down there as recent evidence has generally proven.  Yes, they lost vs. Vancouver, but the problem wasn't their call ups.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Mark Divver Decimated by callups and injuries, the Providence Bruins managed to keep their heads above water by pulling out three of a possible six points in the 11th weekend of the season (plus a rare midweek game). My take on the good, the bad and the ugly:

Good

*** With 3-15-18 in 26 games, Joe Morrow now leads the P-Bruins in points and is sixth in scoring among AHL defensemen. Morrow, who just turned 21, had a six-game point streak (1-5-6) snapped on Saturday night.

*** Matt Lindblad had a season-best 1-2-3 and was plus-two on Wednesday in Portland.

*** Alex Fallstrom tied the game in the final minute on Friday, then scored the only goal in the shootout to beat the Pirates. He added an assist, too.

*** Bobby Robins assisted on two goals and was a beast on the forecheck in Friday night's shootout win.

*** Just up from South Carolina, Andrew Cherniwchan scored a goal and was plus-two on Friday night.

*** After a solid 16-save showing in relief of Nik Svedberg on Saturday, Malcom Subban's goals-against average continues to fall. He's down to 2.53, which is good for 20th in the AHL.

Bad

*** David Warsofsky left Saturday night's game late in the first period after taking a high, unpenalized hit from Bridgeport's Mike Halmo. He is questionable for Friday night's game.

*** Four of Providence's top players are up with Boston - Miller, Spooner, Fraser, Johnson - and Bruce Cassidy said he doesn't expect anyone to return before Christmas. Four players are injured - Warsofsky, Khokhlachev, Camara and Randell.

*** With 10 wins, Nik Svedberg is one of just nine AHL goalies who are in double figures in victories. It's the rest of his numbers that could be better. His 3.16 goals-against average is 41st in the league and his save percentage is .897.

*** After a standout night on Friday, the line of Robins-Fallstrom-Cherniwchan was on the ice for both Bridgeport goals on Saturday.

Ugly

*** The P-Bruins squandered a two-goal lead in Portland on Wednesday and lost in a shootout.

*** Providence paid the price for a slow start on Saturday. They gave up 16 shots and two goals in the first period of their 2-1 loss at Bridgeport.

*** Jared Knight's goal-less drought stands at 13 games, and one in 23."

Warsofsky was playing so well as of late. Svedberg with some sophomore blues.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

re: The ugly, Knight just one goal.  ugh.  Bitter pill to swallow there.

(just to show I'm an honest guy, I had Craig McFarland picked over Knight, who's even doing worse)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

John.  You had John McFarland.  Guy has incredible hands, creativity, hockey sense.  He is sadly fragile, it seems, and was never a terrific skater.  One of those guys who, like Jason Allison coming out of Junior, could have been drafted much higher if the shoes were made of lighter material.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Back to back SO losses for the P-Bruins.  They've really been living and dying in the SO, haven't they?

Interesting things from a gamesheet p.o.v.: Florek with goals in back to back games.  And Knight 2/2 on SO attempts.  Still expecting Knight to be the kind of player who gets better with pro seasoning.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Haven't lived in Hershey for a while so I don't get to see AHL hockey much anymore... Spooner, Miller and Warsofsky have been solid call-ups so far. Thanks for the updates.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Going to see Providence & Worcester tonight.

Not sure what I can report given that you've all seen most of the Providence lineup playing in the NHL in the last few weeks.

Sections
Shortcuts