Favorite B's over the years

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Favorite B's over the years

I've been looking through the new book my Wife got me, Black and Gold - 4 Decades of the Boston Bruins in Phototgraphs. It's a picture book (insert jokes here) by the Team's Photog, Steve Babineau. It covers from early the 70s, when Orr had longer hair, so my era of players.
    So it got me thinking of who my favs were.

Here's my list.
    Bobby  - No explaination necessary
    Reggie Lemelin - The goalie who did it. HE Beat Them!
    Cam Neely - Again no explaination necessary, but he used Pat Roy as his personal bytch goalie, and for that alone he gets my vote. 50 in 44 works too.
    Milan Lucic - I know this is an early pick, and he might not end up with his number raised to the Rafters, but I don't go for a beer when he's on the ice.
    Stan Jonathan - Just one of those things. After he dusted Moose Dupont, he made the list.

I'm not going with an Honourable Mention List. You other made the Top 5 or didn't.

Your turn.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Favorite B's over the years

I am predominantly from the Neely/Bourque 80's era. I did love the brief PK dominance of Poulin/Reid and have always been a Rick Middleton fan...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Hopefully you've seen the DVD History of the bruins..It was great.
    A couple of my favorites:

Bourque--like Bobby no explanation needed
    Neely--Man, was he fun to watch
    Ruzicka- for years every kid playing street hockey tried the pass over the net from behind it.
    Juneau- Finally, we had a rookie to be excited about, should have never been traded but "yodeled" his way out.
    Oates--If he ever had a healthy Neely, but the "Bonanza" line was great

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

In Response to Favorite B's over the years:

BATESIE!!! Kid threw like 150 pitches to beat Andover in the tournament. Tall Paul Mattatall had to shave the moustache. Dude looked weird without it.

Nifty was my favorite early on but then came Cam and Oates.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years:
    Hopefully you've seen the DVD History of the bruins..It was great. A couple of my favorites: Bourque--like Bobby no explanation needed Neely--Man, was he fun to watch Ruzicka- for years every kid playing street hockey tried the pass over the net from behind it. Juneau- Finally, we had a rookie to be excited about, should have never been traded but "yodeled" his way out. Oates--If he ever had a healthy Neely, but the "Bonanza" line was great
    Posted by kelvana33

So true about Oates. He played with no one and got 142 points one year, Absolutely sick....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Hopefully you've seen the DVD History of the bruins..It was great. A couple of my favorites: Bourque--like Bobby no explanation needed Neely--Man, was he fun to watch Ruzicka- for years every kid playing street hockey tried the pass over the net from behind it. Juneau- Finally, we had a rookie to be excited about, should have never been traded but "yodeled" his way out. Oates--If he ever had a healthy Neely, but the "Bonanza" line was great
    Posted by kelvana33

I will look for it. Thaks for the heads up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Bobby Carpenter
    Ted Green
    Cam Neely
    Terry O'Reilly
    Jamie Huscroft

I don't know if they're my favorites (any list should include Orr and Bourque) but they're all guys with great character who I enjoyed immensely.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Oh man, i just might have to start a thread naming "hard" to remember Bruins...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Byron Dafoe
    Cam Neely
    Terry O
    Bobby Orr
    Oates
    Ray Bourque
    John Wensink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Byron Dafoe Cam Neely Terry O Bobby Orr Oates Ray Bourque John Wensink
    Posted by callodthedom19

I should have put down Wensink too. Anyone with a fro like his deserves some props.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mangler. Show Mangler's posts

The lunchpail Bruins of the mid-70's were my favourite. They were a very tough team. Jonathan, Wensink, Cashman, O'Reilly, Secord, Schmautz and they had talent with Middleton, McNab, Park, Ratelle. If Ray Bourque was with them in 79 instead of the following year they would have beat Montreal in the semi's and won the Cup. 32 years later I still hate that game 7 loss.

Good teams with Bourque and Neely as well and I know we got Neely for him but Barry Pederson had a couple of awesome years for the Bruins.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years : I should have put down Wensink too. Anyone with a fro like his deserves some props.....
    Posted by jmwalters

It was gorgeous. Especially when he was challenging another teams benches to fights.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Eddie Shack
    Dallas Smith
    Bobby Schmautz
    Bruce Shoebottom

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years : It was gorgeous. Especially when he was challenging another teams benches to fights.
    Posted by callodthedom19

hehehe...I wonder if he ever left a backcomb in his birdsnest when playing....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Fun Post lots of great memories:
    Orr, Espo, Cashman, Hodge, Cheevers
    Nifty,Pederson, Lemelin,Neely,Ray
    O'Reily, Park, Ratelle and of course Don Cheery!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years : hehehe...I wonder if he ever left a backcomb in his birdsnest when playing....
    Posted by jmwalters

That's a great question. I'm sure from time to time he'd find a couple things in his hair.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Tricky question.  There were THE guys and then there were MY guys - players who weren't franchise defining players but who I really liked when they were in Boston.  I loved watching Dave Poulin.  I think Linseman was one of the smartest players I've ever seen.  Leo Boivin was one of the first guys I singled out.  Pie.  In the 70s and for much of the 80s, there was no distinction - it was O'Reilly, Cash, Park, Nifty, Bourque, Neely.

But if it was pick 5 it would have to be Orr, Espo, O'Reilly, Bourque, Neely, wouldn't it?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Two guys that didn't make it from my brain to my fingers - Schmautz and Wensink.

I was never one for the goalies.  Loved Cheevers's mask, but otherwise I had a fairly traditional take goalies - they were the weird kid with the gland problem.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Darn I wish I was alive to see the 70's bruins. anyways I'm gonna fire off some B's goalies from 80's on let me know if I miss some

Moog
    Peeters
    Lemelin
    bailey
    Blue
    Tallas
    Moffatt
    Riggins
    Carey
    Keans
    Lacher
    Ranford
    Billington
    McDonald
    Thomas
    Rask
    Raycroft
    Hackett
    Dafoe
    Potvin
    Grahame

Just off the top of my head sure i missed some obvious ones.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The preferences seem to be weighted pretty heavily towards the fighters here.

I'd go with:
    Orr
    Middleton
    McNab
    Bourque
    O'Reilly

An honorable mention to Milt Schmidt, who I never saw play, but by all accounts was a classic Bruins player.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from darrenryan. Show darrenryan's posts

Oates
    Neely
    Jumbo Joe
    Ken Hodge Jr....random i know
    Linesman
    Janney
    Bergeron....maybe my favorite of all time

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownbliss. Show btownbliss's posts

Darn I wish I was alive to see the 70's bruins. anyways I'm gonna fire off some B's goalies from 80's on let me know if I miss some Moog Peeters Lemelin bailey Blue Tallas Moffatt Riggins Carey Keans Lacher Ranford Billington McDonald Thomas Rask Raycroft Hackett Dafoe Potvin Grahame Just off the top of my head sure i missed some obvious ones.
    Posted by kelvana33

Jon Casey
    Alex Auld

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

Randy Burridge would be somewhere on my list for sure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

My first born's first words was "Bruins". Before that if someone said "Boston Bruins" She'd put her hands in the air & clap. If someone said "Montreal" she'd go Pwwwwtttt! (the raspberry)
    When she was finally able to say words better. This was her list (because it was mine). 
    1)Cam Neely
    2)Bobby Orr
    3)Ray Bourque
    4)Adam Oates
    5)Andy Moog

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years : Jon Casey
    Posted by btownbliss

I had season tickets to the Worcester Icecats in the mid 90's.  Jon Casey got sent down for a conditioning stint after coming off the IR, which luckily happened to fall on autograph night.  I still have the few cards I had him sign around somewhere.

Sections
Shortcuts