Favorite B's over the years

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Re: Favorite B's over the years

After my 3 least favorite, it kind of fell off a cliff as I don't remember the players I didn't like (block it out, block it out!). When the NHL lockout occurred, I was on strike from hockey so didn't know Raycroft tried to play. And for some reason, I never liked Iafrate and didn't like it when he came to the Bs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years:
    [QUOTE]Darn I wish I was alive to see the 70's bruins. anyways I'm gonna fire off some B's goalies from 80's on let me know if I miss some Moog Peeters Lemelin bailey Blue Tallas Moffatt Riggins Carey Keans Lacher Ranford Billington McDonald Thomas Rask Raycroft Hackett Dafoe Potvin Grahame Just off the top of my head sure i missed some obvious ones.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Steve shields?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fred-Stanfield. Show Fred-Stanfield's posts

My handle says it all

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

No.1 ...........Bobby Orr
    No.2............Bobby Orr
    No.3............Bobby Orr
    No.4............Bobby Orr

No 5 all even : Tim Thomas, Ray Bourque, Cam Neely, Terry O'Reilly, Adam Oates, Rick Middleton, Phil Esposito, Wayne Cashman, Ray Sheppard, Stan Jonathan, Jean Ratelle, Zdeno Chara, Milan Lucic, David Krejci, Patrice Bergeron, Ken Hodge, Peter McNab

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Favorite B's over the years : My #1 is #4... the TRUE Great One. I was a huge fan of those hard working and hard luck mid to late 70's teams, so, in no particular order: Rick Middleton. In my alternate fantasy reality, his goal against the Habs in game 7 stands as the game-winner. Gilles Gilbert .  Not the best Bruins goalie (not even close), but I LOVED the stand-up style, the crazy 20-feet out from the crease wanderings, the acrobatics, and always will I remember how brilliantly he played in the infamous 1979 Habs series. Again, in my alternate reality, he emerges victorious. Brad Park . Kind of a strange pick, but I loved that he never tried to fill Bobby's skates (how could he?), yet gave it his all even when his best days were behind him. Also: The Game 7 OT winner vs. Buffalo, 1983. After that: Ray Bourque . The talent. The toughness. The passion. The humility. Cam Neely: Other than #4, is there any player who needs less explanation? Honorable mentions: Craig Janney : Somehow an underrated and almost forgotten, yet brilliant player. Best passer until Adam Oates came along, and arguably as good or better. His game winner in game 7 1988 vs. NJ is a thing of absolute beauty. Adam Oates: I love playmakers. I loved watching this guy play. He and Neely were insane together. The off-the-face-off game winner in the Buffalo playoff. The short blade on the stick to make his passes more accurate. And calling out Harry Sinden for being the skin-flint lackey for Jacobs that he was in the early days of the decline of the empire. Rosie Ruscizca: Because I like saying Rosie Ruscizca. (and he was just fun to watch.) Patrice Bergeron. No flash, just smart, aggressive, hard-checking, never-say-die 2-way hockey. If there's any justice in the hockey universe, he gets to hoist the Cup as a Boston Bruin.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

How are Middleton and Oates not in the HOF?  Especially Oates. 

I am not sure I saw a better passer other than Gretzky.  Oates was that good.

And the intelligence, great defense and always in the right place at the right time.  Not to mention, he had this knack of absorbing body checks, where he was hard to hit.

In my lifetime, I am not sure I saw a smarter Bruins player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years : How are Middleton and Oates not in the HOF?  Especially Oates.  I am not sure I saw a better passer other than Gretzky.  Oates was that good. And the intelligence, great defense and always in the right place at the right time.  Not to mention, he had this knack of absorbing body checks, where he was hard to hit. In my lifetime, I am not sure I saw a smarter Bruins player.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

It is perhaps easy, though unfortunate, to forget these two when talking about the HOF. Neither won any individual awards or cups and they were overshadowed by the superstars of their era.

I am not saying it is fair, just anderstandable....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I would only argue that lesser players are in AND the NHL is actually the easiest HOF to gain entry into for players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years : How are Middleton and Oates not in the HOF?  Especially Oates.  I am not sure I saw a better passer other than Gretzky.  Oates was that good. And the intelligence, great defense and always in the right place at the right time.  Not to mention, he had this knack of absorbing body checks, where he was hard to hit. In my lifetime, I am not sure I saw a smarter Bruins player.

I had no idea Oates was NOT in the HOF...I always just assumed he was. Ridiculous. Even before coming to the B's you'd think his "Hull & Oates" career would be enough. That's just stupid that he isn't there. Excellent point also about his being able to absorb checks. Not a big guy at all, not a hitter, not the fastest skater by any means, but VERY hard to knock off the puck. Helluvaplayer.

Nifty? I don't know why. Maybe he didn;'t  have the stats? I really can't figure out the HOF criteria in hockey. All I know is Nifty made some of the sickest moves I've ever seen on ice, and was a total joy to watch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Clark Gilles is in the HOF, for example.  Many players are in the HOF who are more borderline than Rick Middleton.

Middleton was basically a top tier winger who was as lethal as any winger of that era.

Check his career numbers. He has 400+ goals for crying out loud.

Barring injuries, he was a bona fide 30 goal scorer+ every year.

"In 1987-88 Middleton played his last of his twelve seasons with the Bruins. He retired from the game after recording 448 goals, 540 assists for 988 in 1005 games. "

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13727

Good piece here on the travesty that is Oates not being in the HOF:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/409223-adam-oates-the-best-player-who-wont-make-the-hall-of-fame

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]Clark Gilles is in the HOF, for example.  Many players are in the HOF who are more borderline than Rick Middleton. Middleton was basically a top tier winger who was as lethal as any winger of that era. Check his career numbers. He has 400+ goals for crying out loud. Barring injuries, he was a bona fide 30 goal scorer+ every year. "In 1987-88 Middleton played his last of his twelve seasons with the Bruins. He retired from the game after recording 448 goals, 540 assists for 988 in 1005 games. " http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13727 Good piece here on the travesty that is Oates not being in the HOF: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/409223-adam-oates-the-best-player-who-wont-make-the-hall-of-fame

I'm a pretty big Bruins fans, and I had no idea Middleton was quite this good.  I was always him during Street Hockey, so I definitely liked him but that's almost a point a game, I just don't remember that volume of production.  Good post BB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Oates was such a great passer, he would make it look like he made passes by accident, when they were really by design.

Gretzky did this. That's about as great as a compliment as I could give Oates.

He also was a GREAT faceoff man. Over 60% for his career, I believe.

I still could not believe St. Louis traded him here.  I had no idea why a struggling Detroit organization in the 1980s allowed him to go.

One of the dumbest trades in NHL history, in my opinion.  Oates was a player who, for some reason, really never made it onto a legit SC team.

His best team was probably the 90/91 Blues, the 1997/98 Caps or obviously his Ducks team that lost in 7 to NJ in 2003 . BY that time, he was old, though.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=11216