Fedun's leg

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Fedun's leg

In Response to Re: Fedun's leg:
    [QUOTE]If we cant have touch icing, lets just not have icing.  No touch icing is a joke, and Kelvanas post on the first page sums it up well.  I HATE all these people who want to change hockey to "make it safer".  ITS A DANGEROUS SPORT!  When you take all the danger out, it isnt hockey.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

It is a very dangerous sport, but that doesn't mean it has to be stupid also.  Two players racing full speed who will be stopping no less than 11 feet from a wall is dumb.

Touch up icing doesn't make hockey fun, exciting, faster or more interesting.  It's a rule, no different than two line passes or the trapezoid.  Those who are calling for an end to the wussification are off the mark here.  This is just a bandwagon phrase of those who don't want it to change, but cannot come up with any reason why.  "Hey Erv, ja see the game last night?"  "Yeah, Mikey, what  job by #15 to eliminate that icing!"

I do not think I have ever had that conversation, and I talk about hockey just about every day of my life.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Touch up icing slows the game down period. And if you want to see a race, nothing about no touch icing says that a player can't race to prevent it crossing the goal line.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Correct.  There will still be the odd scramble, but the amount of them will be cut down significantly.  If the players are close enough stop it from crossing the line, more often than not, the refs will wave it off anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Fedun's leg : So there's something more potentially "fatal" about an icing touch -up injury than other hockey plays? I remember Stamkos getting hit directly in the face with a shot against the Bruins in the semi's Game 7.  Coulda been "fatal."   Time to outlaw slap shots and shots over the shoulder. Oh, and that awful checking and fighting stuff. The pussification trend continues.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

How different is the game of NHL hockey if touch up icing is eliminated?  Will masses stop watching?  With the scores change dramatically?

You're on quite a crusade here with some impressively unrelated statements, so let's get down to the brass tacks. 

If the NHL were to go with touch up icing, what about your experience as an NHL fan would be different?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I really like the hybrid icing idea. It still has the race to the puck with less chance of injury. I don't care for automatic icing and the present icing rule is causing unnecessary injuries.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=536137

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ok, reading this thread is a bit crugel battle of one aspect of the game, ie. icing.  I will accept Badhab's etc. agrument that competition for the puck can be reached before the boards.  As Red indicated the injury or PCS potential in icing is the best reason for the no touch icing change.  My point along with some of the others is where does Shanahan etc. "draw the line" on embellishing an injury and reestablishing these basic rules in hockey (ie. boarding and charging).  Sequentially speaking, the number of fake or embellished acts along the boards (hitting from behind) compared to the actual incidents like Bergeron's (PCS) hit are becoming more and more observed the past few seasons.

Now if you agree with that premise,  then the game of hockey is going to change as more and more players will seek to embellish to gain power play advantages.  Logically, Shanahan will then be giving out fines and suspensions for those fine acts of game "larceny".  Crazy! Once you start to legislate change then more legislation is necessary.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Isla,

What does Shanahan have to do with no touch icing? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fedun's leg : I disagree. As long as he keeps the puck moving there'd be no penalty called. It's the same way that it's always been in that regard. Even in the 70's, you couldn't just hold the puck against the boards without moving or you'd get a delay of game call. I don't know what era you're remembering because the hockey I grew up watching had lots of whistles for pucks being tied up along the boards.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

But the point is that it was a tactic commonly used by defenseman - and 4th line forwards then to try to get a face off in the offensive zone for the first line. 

When was the last time you saw a defenseman look to tie the puck up like that and get a whistle?

By calling it a penalty for delay of game, those stoppages in play - and slow play disappeared from the game completely.

Your saying whistles slow the game down, but so what if there are fewer whistles - and what happens in between the whistles is boring.

Somwhere over 90% of the time, 95%, maybe even 97% it's a simple touch up.

There is absolutely nothing exciting about watching a defenseman skate back and touch the puck.

And it's over non-contested, making it even more pointless.

Almost all of the time it accomplishes nothing - other than delaying the whistle being blown and taking time off the clock.

And fans - unwittingly - don't care for touch up icing either.  Search you-tube for hockey hightlights, you will see goals, fights, hits, saves, and all kinds of stuff.  It's hard to find clips of icings, you can even find more offsides clips than icings.  When they show abbreviated games - lots of icings get cut out and the next thing you see is the face off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Fedun's leg:[QUOTE]So Olympic hockey isn't any good?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

It's real good but some hockey fans want blood when they go to a game and those same fans don't want change for good so they can say "I'm ol school" then beat their chest.

Watching two players race to down the ice with the possibility of getting injured so they can determine where a faceoff will be, should a thing of the past as should letting players get away with head hunting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Did they not test no-touch in Shanahan's summer school? I thought the potential rule was to blow icing if the lead player was well in front of the pursuing player, but not to blow if they were close to even. Am I wrong?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Did they not test no-touch in Shanahan's summer school? I thought the potential rule was to blow icing if the lead player was well in front of the pursuing player, but not to blow if they were close to even. Am I wrong?
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Yes they tried this. That's the hybrid rule. They've put it on the shelf till summer school starts again next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just curious, out of those of us here who still play, who plays in a league that still uses touch-up icing? Like I said, mine got rid of it six seasons ago (first practice is tonight, after not playing last year - pretty excited) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

NAS you are correct, the thread topic is no touch icing.  My brain is not thinking one issue but a larger trend in the NHL rule book.  If in fact no touch icing was legislated then Shanahan would be the one to enforce the competition to the puck up to the goal line ala Badhabs explaination. That would be mostly consisting of the standard holding, hooking, and ocassional boarding and charging while pursing a puck to the goal line in a icing situation.  Again the larger issue is the amount of change to correct the PCS medical knowlege present in today, 2011.  Now the Shanahan (NHL) clarifications on boarding and charging are of the same ilk and kind to the thread proposal at least to this fan.  In other words, eliminate circumstances whereby a player would receive a concussion, btw the NFL is doing the same.  If those clarifications, and the proposed no touch icing (reduce injuries including concussions), are legislated then imo the game begins to change.  I am not in favor of Olympic sized rinks, nor am I in favor of less contact.  The question then becomes where does the league, Shanahan, draw the line.  I am just saying a player is responsible for his behavior on ice including icing.  If the league legislates to a larger degree, I can almost guarantee more tangible "embellishments" will incur to gain pp advantages.  I truly believe the players do the best at metting out justice, not "frontier" justice either.  For instance the actions of an "Avery" type player would be dealt with by the opposing team(s).  His career would be shorten, without NHL jurisprudence.  The game changes if the rules are more defined in other words.  Now words are not clear enough in these spaces, but the larger view of trends in the NHL indicate more legislation by the likes of Shanahan in the current new definitions of the rules, and in this discussion of no touch icing.  I guess I am talking to myself here.  Oh well, I tried to explain.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

When u r pusi fyinf the league why have someone like Shan enforce the rules, why not bring in someone like Grets who never thru a hit nor a true punch.

Pretty sure when pacifiers like him take over, I will be done and the new gen will have taken over. I will take the 70's over this any day, bigger, faster hockey, I don't think so, bigger pusses maybe. Pretty sure every D man in the  70's could skate better forward and backward than Chara in the 70's and he is far from the worst.

Leave the hitting in the game and when someone crosses the line suspend them they will feel it in their pocket books sooner than later, but suspend them every freakin time when an 'illegal' hit is made, not a perceived illegal hit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]So Olympic hockey isn't any good?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I love watching O hockey, but in no way is it even close to playoff hockey.  We give the Japanese and Icelanders a drubbin then have a hangover game in the quarters and semis and hope to pull it out in the finals.  The hockey as far as hockey goes really does suck, but because of the prize, it keeps you on the edge of your seat.  You get together with your pals and celebrate with many many many brewskies and have stories to tell til the next one, but in no way will an O game even come close to the NHL playoffs!!!!!!!!!

Yes that was more than 1 !, Just in case some of you did not get it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]When u r pusi fyinf the league why have someone like Shan enforce the rules, why not bring in someone like Grets who never thru a hit nor a true punch. Pretty sure when pacifiers like him take over, I will be done and the new gen will have taken over. I will take the 70's over this any day, bigger, faster hockey, I don't think so, bigger pusses maybe. Pretty sure every D man in the  70's could skate better forward and backward than Chara in the 70's and he is far from the worst. Leave the hitting in the game and when someone crosses the line suspend them they will feel it in their pocket books sooner than later, but suspend them every freakin time when an 'illegal' hit is made, not a perceived illegal hit.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

pus frying?
    pacification?

None of the above, I never mentioned injury and it isn't any part of my argument.  Touch up icing primarily does one thing: takes seconds off the clock.

And relevant to this violence/non violence thing - who wants to see third man in penalties removed, and penalties for leaving the bench removed??

Who wants to go back to good old fashioned line brawls and bench clearing brawls?

Was it because of "pansies" ??

NO.

More than anything all of those stupid fights slowed down the game and contributed nothing else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

While we are at it lets take the sharp blades off the skate. That will make it safer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, if you can't beat them, join them.

You are all right.

Total sissies with no touch up icing.

And let's get REAL MEN playing again!

No protective equipment worn by anyone at any time.  Soccer shorts only and play shirts and skins.  Home team gets to be skins.  No stoppage in play for medical attention.  Somebody gets hurt make the medical guys go out there during play - 100% positive you won't have any diving.  No offsides, no icings, no penalties at all, no goal judges no  replays and no refs.  Clock starts and game lasts one hour and over and done with.

Old school.  Out on a pond in the western territories with no refs and no long arm of the law complaining about sissy things like this "manslaughter".

"Shoot outs"  none of this girly crap they have now, pass out real guns and ammo and have a real shoot out.

After the ammunition is spent and their are players left standing, then simply release hungry lions onto the ice.  Last player standing (or alive) is declared the winner.

Think I'm kidding?  No!  Of course the sport would have to move to some country where the government would support such a thing like North Korea utterly lawless place like Somalia or Vancouver.

Disagree with me?  Then you are an utterly un-manly girl child.  And if you still disagree with me, then let's settle this the way real men do, NOT WITH WORDS, but with bricks and bottles and bare knuckles.  I'll be in city hall plaza waiting for you 6 pm sharp, bare chested and bleeding because my rule is that my knife cannot be unsheathed without drawing blood.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Good one, BHab.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Look, argue all you want of the legitimacy of the changes in rule changes. Actually just enforce the rules as originally created.  I think Shanahan is in fact trying define those old rules like boarding or charging.  I agree with the proposed no touch icing.  All I am trying to say Badhab, is the consequences will be embelishment by the players.  There are two schools of thought, one define the rules, jurisdiction.  The other school is let the players met out the justice.  I for one do not want soccor (european football) on ice.  I also do not want the game of hockey go the way of boxing.  I would agree with no touch icing, I would also agree with redefining boarding and charging as mandated recently by the NHL. The mere fact you make rules though does not make the play better!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Look, argue all you want of the legitimacy of the changes in rule changes. Actually just enforce the rules as originally created.  I think Shanahan is in fact trying define those old rules like boarding or charging.  I agree with the proposed no touch icing.  All I am trying to say Badhab, is the consequences will be embelishment by the players.  There are two schools of thought, one define the rules, jurisdiction.  The other school is let the players met out the justice.  I for one do not want soccor (european football) on ice.  I also do not want the game of hockey go the way of boxing.  I would agree with no touch icing, I would also agree with redefining boarding and charging as mandated recently by the NHL. The mere fact you make rules though does not make the play better!
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

*** material offensive to some viewers deleted  ***

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Whatever blog boy, you win, but mark the words in an archive.  I explained myself, you play the "monty python" word game. Cheers.  Go Bruins. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Touch icing adds nothing to the game.  As BadHab has said, all it does is give the icing team extra seconds to get their wind after they use icing to break up the opposing team's offensive pressure.  I like offensive pressure, I don't know about the rest of you. The injury consequences are so severe that it seems like a no-brainer to take it out of the game.  I have never played in a league with touch icing, it was my understanding that the NHL is the only league using it and has been for some time. I have never missed it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Like I asked before, do any posters here who still play, play in a league that still has touch-up icing? You can talk about it being important for the toughness of the game, that not having it is "pussification" (what a crappy term). Do any of you practice what you preach?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Like I asked before, do any posters here who still play, play in a league that still has touch-up icing? You can talk about it being important for the toughness of the game, that not having it is "pussification" (what a crappy term). Do any of you practice what you preach?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

*** material offensive to some viewers deleted  ***

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Red the word is undefined, but a long term word "pusillanimous" means lacking courage or determination.  I will use the slang term in that sense nothing else. Although wikipedia will say alot more of the slang word.  Cheers, I now agree on the no touch rule because of the thread.  

Sections
Shortcuts