Fedun's leg

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Fedun's leg

*** material offensive to some viewers deleted  ***

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Fedun's leg:
    [QUOTE]Like I asked before, do any posters here who still play, play in a league that still has touch-up icing? You can talk about it being important for the toughness of the game, that not having it is "pussification" (what a crappy term). Do any of you practice what you preach?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

No.  To be fair, touch up iceing seems like an absurd concept for my men's league, where guys have crashed into the end boards with no-touch iceing because their gut to skate surface ratio prevented them from stopping after the whistle blew.

How about just having a race to the goal line to determine?  Much safer because, a) you're not racing to the exact same point -- you can cross the goal line anywhere, and b) instead of reaching forward to touch the puck, you are already slowing/stopping at the goal line.

And anyone who plays the man, instead of the puck, on an iceing race gets a game suspension.  That means you Edler.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

fletch...i proposed this type of no-touch icing last year. first player's stick to cross the goal line is judged. d-man's stick crosses first...icing. attacking forwards' stick crosses first...fight for the puck. judged by the linesman, whose job doesn't change at all, you know...judging whether something crosses a line or not at high speeds. using the stick and the goal line as a buffer gives 16-18 feet to a) stop or b) start a chase for the puck. i got laughed off the forum for this suggestion last season. i have no personal agenda concerning this rule change, just offering it as an effective alternative. BTW red, my men's league plays no touch. i have NO PROBLEM with that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fedun's leg : No.  To be fair, touch up iceing seems like an absurd concept for my men's league, where guys have crashed into the end boards with no-touch iceing because their gut to skate surface ratio prevented them from stopping after the whistle blew. How about just having a race to the goal line to determine?  Much safer because, a) you're not racing to the exact same point -- you can cross the goal line anywhere, and b) instead of reaching forward to touch the puck, you are already slowing/stopping at the goal line. And anyone who plays the man, instead of the puck, on an iceing race gets a game suspension.  That means you Edler.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

What happens when the offensive side reaches the goal line first?
    Do they then get to play it?
    If so, when it's close, I believe they will still skate to the same point - where the puck is so that if the forward gets to it first, the defenseman will be right on top of him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

You sound like a complete racist douchenozzle trying to "type" like the way you think an American Indian speaks.  Ill tell you what since youre so ignorant:  Im American Indian and I dont know ANY American Indians who sound like that. Jacka$$

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]You sound like a complete racist douchenozzle trying to "type" like the way you think an American Indian speaks.  Ill tell you what since youre so ignorant:  Im American Indian and I dont know ANY American Indians who sound like that. Jacka$$
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

caveman, not indian.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Cavemen took scalps?  Nice try.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

bigvig, you no like, eh?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Um yes they did. I took it as caveman too (some evidence that early cro-mangnon were actually cannibaistic, and scalps have been found in both cro magnon and homoneanderthalus archeological sites)

(and i had to type that as one word, because boston.cm flagged it - guess it doesn't judge on context)

Bigvig, you know I'll usually be the first to call out someone here on bigotry or racism, but in this case I think you're totally reading something into it that was not anywhere near what was intended.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fedun's leg : I love watching O hockey, but in no way is it even close to playoff hockey.  We give the Japanese and Icelanders a drubbin then have a hangover game in the quarters and semis and hope to pull it out in the finals.  The hockey as far as hockey goes really does suck, but because of the prize, it keeps you on the edge of your seat.  You get together with your pals and celebrate with many many many brewskies and have stories to tell til the next one, but in no way will an O game even come close to the NHL playoffs!!!!!!!!! Yes that was more than 1 !, Just in case some of you did not get it.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

I can't agree.  Yes there are some laughers in the round robin games, but once the Olympics gets to the "medal round" it IS playoff hockey.  USA/CAN (both games) in 2010 Games was some of the finest hockey I've seen.  The pace was incredible.  Even the SWE/FIN gold medal game a few years back was great.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Cavemen took scalps?  Nice try.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

ok already, I deleted those posts.  I promise not to do it again.

Now can't we just gather round and smoke a pea...  no wait, strike that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fedun's leg : What happens when the offensive side reaches the goal line first? Do they then get to play it? If so, when it's close, I believe they will still skate to the same point - where the puck is so that if the forward gets to it first, the defenseman will be right on top of him.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Agreed, it is not going to be perfectly safe in all cases.  In the scenario you describe though both guys will be playing it more like any other play behind the net instead of just reaching/leaning forward 5 feet from the glass at 30 mph.  I think it is better, not perfect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Those in favor of no-touch icing only have to remember the Cup Finals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S89o1E_S1I4

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Good article from yesterday's Montreal Gazette on this
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Icing+injury+stirs+debate+frustration/5492043/story.html

A quote in it from Shawn Horcoff:

"I don't know of any players who aren't for changing the rule (to notouch icing). They know our stance on this. We don't have control over this, but don't you have to protect your assets?

"We're not talking little injuries here. We're talking broken legs and ankles. These can be career-threatening injuries. For me, there's no place for (races on icing plays). The league has to look at this again. Unfortunately, it has to be another incident like this. Hopefully, they make the right decision."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fedun's leg : Agreed, it is not going to be perfectly safe in all cases.  In the scenario you describe though both guys will be playing it more like any other play behind the net instead of just reaching/leaning forward 5 feet from the glass at 30 mph.  I think it is better, not perfect.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much the trapezoid is contributing to the problem? 

I can't remember back that far (old age), but I would think the safe play is for the goalie to play it rather than even risk a possible take away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Listen, Im the last one to be PC so Im probably being a hypocrite here, but honestly, Im not having a good day, I feel like absolute crap and Ive had people speak like that to me my whole life.  Ive been put in the clink for punching people in the face for that crap, so it struck a nerve with me.  Sorry.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Listen, Im the last one to be PC so Im probably being a hypocrite here, but honestly, Im not having a good day, I feel like absolute crap and Ive had people speak like that to me my whole life.  Ive been put in the clink for punching people in the face for that crap, so it struck a nerve with me.  Sorry.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    BigV, you don't need to apologize for finding something offensive. I've also crossed some lines before and I certainly appreciate it if someone let's me know I've gone too far. I often need to be reigned in. Cheers!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Listen, Im the last one to be PC so Im probably being a hypocrite here, but honestly, Im not having a good day, I feel like absolute crap and Ive had people speak like that to me my whole life.  Ive been put in the clink for punching people in the face for that crap, so it struck a nerve with me.  Sorry.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you're not Italian like Milan Lucic?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Fedun's leg:[QUOTE]Those in favor of no-touch icing only have to remember the Cup Finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S89o1E_S1I4 Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

^Good example!

BadHab, You generalizing again ? Milan like the city or big nose, dark hair means Italian ? You know if Bruins Genius were here he'd straighten this out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

The only part of me that isnt American Indian (great-great grandfather on my moms side) is German.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In his first tweet, Wilson (Toronto)  made his opinion on the icing-rules debate crystal clear: "Need hybrid icing rule change! Have seen too many horrific injuries."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The only part of me that isnt American Indian (great-great grandfather on my moms side) is German.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

That's worth knowing.

Thanks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

So whats the difference between icing the puck from a couple feet before the red line and Dumping and chasing the puck from 2 feet closer at the red line. One's icing and ones dump and chase but the exact same situation is created.
    It's stupid, we don't have a safe work enviroment. Never have, never will, Deal with it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]So whats the difference between icing the puck from a couple feet before the red line and Dumping and chasing the puck from 2 feet closer at the red line. One's icing and ones dump and chase but the exact same situation is created. It's stupid, we don't have a safe work enviroment. Never have, never will, Deal with it.
    Posted by savybergy77[/QUOTE]

Not true at all for a couple of reasons.

-With dump and chase the players are usually much closer as the puck is dumped at the blueline, not from way down the ice.  Less speed, less distance, less of a race.

-Neither guy is reaching/lunging forward to touch the puck first on a dump and chase.  They actually both slow down, brace, and position themselves for a puck battle instead.  Leaning forward to nudge the puck with your stick does you no good except for touching first on icing.  That's what is so dangerous on icing plays.

-The horrific injuries we are seeing  are frequently from icing touch-up races, rarely from dump and chase battles.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]So whats the difference between icing the puck from a couple feet before the red line and Dumping and chasing the puck from 2 feet closer at the red line. One's icing and ones dump and chase but the exact same situation is created. It's stupid, we don't have a safe work enviroment. Never have, never will, Deal with it.
    Posted by savybergy77[/QUOTE]

I have a safe work environment.