Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate

Interesting to gauge the various opinions in the hockey world on  Andrew Ference ,after the Paille hit , and his comments that were seen by some as refreshing ( mostly media types ) that a player would be critical of a fellow team mate's hit and stand up for it and speak about it publicly to the media.

Both Don Cherry and Mike Milbury on HNIC tonite came down hard on Ference for throwing a team mate basically under the bus with his comments...

I have also heard and read  from guys who have played/ coached in the League recently like Brad May, Nick Kypreos, Doug MacLean who have taken exception with Ference's remarks as well on air .. also some other players around the league have shared their opinions .. Reading some of Paille's quotes today and clearly he is not happy with comments coming from his own team mate,  and said he would not be focusing on those players in the room who criticize him for the hit.. That is troublesome!

Does anyone else see this as a potentially disturbing set of events that can possibly cause dissention in the locker room?  Can this team be a house divided going forward ? Does PC get rid of Ference immediately for the good of team unity.. I believe this bears ( sorry for the pun ) watching in the near future...

I have played a few different sports in my lifetime and the one common denominator in all aspects of team sports to be successful is to gain the trust of your team mates..without that you have no team.. I think Ference has lost trust with his comments about a fellow team mate regardless of his status on the team, he is a brother, a team mate,  and a guy you go to battle with every night , he has your back and you have his..... As Julien said after the game.." You support your player"  Ference clearly did not in this instance.. He became judge and jury immediately and probably helped in the increase of games suspension to Paille with those comments.. It wasn't that bad a hit, I have seen worse with less games..

What  bothers me  is that  Ference has proved in the uniform of the B's that he backs his team mates  , always one of the first to go in and defend a team mate just like he did in Dallas game and other games as well... But on the other hand he also was the leading NHLPA rep to backstab Paul Kelly and help in his ouster... I don't get it!

Fire away!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate

It could be the exact opposite - sometimes leadership includes admitting faults. I don't think he threw him uner the bus, he was just honest, and he did it publicly. It could be that he was being a leader and making it clear what type of play was expected from the guys in that locker room, and if you don't abide by it then yes, you should be suspended. By going public it could be a statement as to the character of the Bruins. If we make mistakes, we're not politicians, so we own up to them. It could do more good than harm for the team.
    And don't give me "it's against the code." Leaders lead, the code be damned - you use what you think could work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Sorry Red, but Ference could've said a 100 different things without making it sound that Paille was totally in the wrong. YOU JUST DON'T DO THAT TO A TEAMMATE like Paille. He's not known for this & Ference could've went down that road instead of saying, "were not going to be hypocrytes!" I'm totally against what Ference said!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I would say actions speak louder than words.  Ference has three scraps this year, all in defense of teammates. 
    - fights Backes after a hit on Recchi
    - jumps in on Meyer after he hits Lucic, fights Stewart
    - fights Burish after shot after the whistle

I wish his comments acknowledged that Paille is not a dirty player, something like..."it's fast game, Paille was working hard to get back on Sawada and help support the D.  I understand the call, but Danny's not a dirty player.  Sawada had the puck and had his head down, but unfortunately, these things happen sometimes."

I am not a Ference fan, I think he is a marginal d-man, no better than a 5-6, but he has had his teammates back this year.  I totally respect that about him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

When Cooke hit Savard, Bill Guerin called Matt Cooke out.....no backlash.

Opinions on Ference stem from the way the Paul Kelly incident was handled last year by the NHLPA

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate:
    [QUOTE]It could be the exact opposite - sometimes leadership includes admitting faults. I don't think he threw him uner the bus, he was just honest, and he did it publicly. It could be that he was being a leader and making it clear what type of play was expected from the guys in that locker room, and if you don't abide by it then yes, you should be suspended. By going public it could be a statement as to the character of the Bruins. If we make mistakes, we're not politicians, so we own up to them. It could do more good than harm for the team. And don't give me "it's against the code." Leaders lead, the code be damned - you use what you think could work.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Well, I will admit that I have never heard/ read  of a player on another team come out and speak outwordly against one of his own in the media.. And there have been doozies..I recall the Lemieux hit on Draper , and as reputable and respected guy as Joe Sakic was , I didn't hear him come out and publicly chastise his own team mate in public... You just don't do that..  Right now there is more dissection of this situation going on around in hockey circles  and people are weighing in on the impact this will have on team unity.... I just think those things stay behind close doors and are addressed within the team... I didn't hear the captain come out and voice his opinion and IF anyone has the right to speak on team's behalf it is him,  and not Andrew Ference!!  Big Z for all we know might have addressed this behind close doors.. wouldn't be surprised...he plays the game the right way..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]When Cooke hit Savard, Bill Guerin called Matt Cooke out.....no backlash. Opinions on Ference stem from the way the Paul Kelly incident was handled last year by the NHLPA
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Beg to differ...What happened to Guerin? and his future with the club.?. he was jettisoned out of Pittsburgh awfully fast.. think management might not have appreciated the comments ?  I would not be surprised if the same thing happened with Ference at the trade deadline or sooner.. I think this bears watching..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

So guerin was not given a contract because he said there was no place in the game for hits like that?
    Nothing to do with his age?
    Shipped out fast? he finished out his contract with the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]Mike Modano was none too happy with the behavior of Ott and Avery after that game against the Bruins 2 years ago and didn't hesitate to make his displeasure known while talking to media after the game. Damn I'm good.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Hey, what ever happened to Mike Modano!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinBuff. Show BruinBuff's posts

Ference is Poison in our locker room and has been since the B.S. With players union last season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

If he was so poison he never would have gotten a contract extension.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I don't think Ference is a poison at all & I like his play this year! i just think that there's so many other things that he could've said. As far as what Guerin said about Cooke? How many times has Cooke been suspended for cheapshots! Let's keep the comparisions apples to apples here. Cooke still needs his teammates to protect his stupidity because he DOESN'T LEARN BECAUSE THE LEAGUE PROTECTS THOSE IDOTS! The game against the Isles a prime example that this guy will never change his ways!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Nitemare,

It is apples to apples.You obviously didn't read all the posts. I was using the Guerin/Cooke in response to a post above how Joe Sakic never called out Claude lemieux publicly and to one who said he never heard of a teammate calling out another one publicly.
    Oh, and Dipietro hit Cooke, who by the way from what I understand is pretty well liked in his locker room. Some these guys who toe or cross the line  might not be well liked or respected around the league but are very well liked in their own locker room.Look at guys like Linseman,Darcy Tucker and Matthew Barnaby. All revered in their own locker rooms, in fact considered leaders. Chris Nilan gave Middleton one of the biggest cheap shots around which led to an all out brawl and his teammates swore by him.Claude lemeiux was very well respected.You remember the reaction from the colorado bench after he switched wings on the opening face off so he could challenge McCarty?..Sean Avery, thats a different story..I heard he was purposley not invited to a teammates Christmas party and still showed up...with an entourage of outsiders...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I would have to agree with red and Crowls -- sometimes being a stand-up guy involves being honest.  I also wish he had said that Paille is a clean player and whatever, but from what I have seen this year Ference is a good leader, a good teammate, and a honest guy.  Sometimes to be those things you have to say things that aren't popular, just like Guerin and Crosby last year after the Cooke hit.  I don't think it really affected the situation anyhow and is now being blown out of proportion.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

A dressing room is like a family.  You don't throw your family under the bus.  If Ference disagreed he could have talked with him like a family member should. Why answer the question, especially with the media.  Just say its stays in the locker room.  Dumb on Ference. 
    Now that dumb dumb did answer it, it is getting major air play by the media.

Idiot. 

Crowls, 3 fights are his actions?  I would hope there is more to his stink-o contract than that.  Oh wait, his bad play and personal ambulance speak a lot louder to me.  If he was a respected leader he would have kept his yap shut. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You know what you don't do?

Give someone a blindside hit to the head.

If Press-Box-Paille is unhappy about the absolute truth being told, he can ask for a trade. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I wish it were Press Box Ference.  But that wish will come when Mr. Bandaid gets hurt again. 

You don't go to the media...a dressing room is like a bubble and you keep all the dirty/clean laundry inside.  If ference had an issue he should have went to him face to face.   Ference has been in the league long enough to know this.  His tell it like it is to the media is worst than the actual media. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

ference would've been the 1st one to jump in if paille would've been on the recieving end of a blindside hit. actions speak louder than words.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I'm not concerned about what Ference does off the ice... he's been pretty reliable on the ice and that is all that matters (and he is one of the few guys that always sticks up for his teammates!) I wouldn't make too much of this unless we see a big drop in the standings...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

When did Ference become the everyday hero and leader on here. 

Actions over words....yeah well keep your trap shut from the media.  Would you like it if your brother bashed you in the media?

Was the hit dirty? Yes, but everyone can see that.  Why does he need to talk with the media about something we already know.  He is such hero telling the truth to the media.  And what a warrior he has been for the Bruins.  Wheeler and Ryder plan stink and I wish they were gone, but at least they stay quiet, Ference stinks and is a chatter box. 

He wins one fight and now he is the best thing since...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Personally I like the comments.  I hate to see guys get hit like that and their teammates act like it was perfectly legal.  I'm pretty sure last year after the Cooke incident Crosby said nothing.  I liked what Guerin did, and most of you that are hating on Ference for this liked that Guerin called Cooke out too.  After all that's happened to this team with consussions (Savard, Bergeron, Krejci), it'd be awfully hypocritical to say "I thought it was a clean hit" when it was clearly not. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I will go as far as to say not only is Ference NOT a bad team mate, he is well-respected by the team and has evolved into a team leader. Unless Paille is in denial and thinks his hit was clean, he should have no problem with what was said by Ference. The BS about "keeping it on the locker room" is idiotic in this circumstance.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]Personally I like the comments.  I hate to see guys get hit like that and their teammates act like it was perfectly legal.  I'm pretty sure last year after the Cooke incident Crosby said nothing.  I liked what Guerin did, and most of you that are hating on Ference for this liked that Guerin called Cooke out too.  After all that's happened to this team with consussions (Savard, Bergeron, Krejci), it'd be awfully hypocritical to say "I thought it was a clean hit" when it was clearly not. 
    Posted by beantowngm15[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it is better to say nothing... I don't think the issue is with Ference saying what he believes ..The real issue is the platform he chose to stand on and how he delivered it...I actually think it hurt Paille's case.. I agree with shup... Keep it in house and deal with it... All Ference did was open this up to the rest of the league and pundits  to ponder if there is fracture in the B's dressing room, is this a team united?, etc... B's are in the stretch drive to the playoffs and don't need this added attention and scrutiny.. for those who mentioned about other players who called out their own team mates for their actions in the past, is it a surprise they are no longer with those teams.. Co-incidence , maybe? maybe not ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Walk,

where are your insider sources?  YOU know he is well respected.  and is a leader? Of what, most games missed on the IR.  I don't mind debating but when you throw an idiotic comment like that out there you better back it up. 

If what he did was so patriotic why are former players and coaches calling him out.  Sure the media types who never played a minute of hockey like it...but bad news sells. 

Put youself in Paille's shoes.  A so called leader goes to the media and throws you under the bus.  What are the other guys gonna say.  Sure maybe 5% of the guys would back up AF's words.  But I don't think the majority agree with going to the media or they would have, they just found a guy that wanted his 5 minutes of fame and in the process turned on a team mate.  Think AF does this if Lucic or Chara hammered someone.   He could have worded what he said a lot better.  and for that I would give him a little space. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE] Put youself in Paille's shoes.  A so called leader goes to the media and throws you under the bus. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I'd think, "Jeez, I can't believe I did that.  This team has been crippled by brutal and illegal hits and then I go and throw one?  After Crosby got taken out, all the hockey world is talking about is hits to the head and what do I do?  Blindside headshot.  Boy, am I stupid."

Sections
Shortcuts