Final Grades: Regular season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Final Grades: Regular season

Grades are based on production compared to expectations

Tuukka Rask - A-. He'll likely win the Vezina, I think most people in the hockey world would consider him the best goalie in the world. The reason he doesn't get an A is a couple moments of inconsistency. I think he can take his game to another level. 

Chad Johnson - A+. what more could you want. 

Zdeno Chara - A+. Added a big of a mean streak this year. Rejuvinated the PP, great leadership, great season. 

Dennis Seidenberg - incomplete 

Johnny Boychuk - A. Career highs in goals (although he's scored 5 twice before), assists, points, plus minus, shooting percentage, and hits. Phenomenal year for him. really picked it up.

Dougie Hamilton - A-/B+. Great season from him. good on the powerplay, good for the transition game, good production, and a very respectable plus minus. Really happy with Dougie's progress. 

Torey Krug - B. - 40 points, over .5 points per game for a rookie d man is great. Awesome on the PP and a +19 is great for a guy who put up half his points on the PP.

Andrej Meszaros - D. I expected more. 

Matt Bartkowski - B-. Inconsistent. but pretty good production from a rookie 7th d man. I expected more, but perhaps my expectations were unreasonably high. 

Adam McQuaid - D. Might seem unfair, and maybe he should get an incomplete, but c'mon McQuaid get healthy. 

Kevan Miller - A. Who expected this guy to play this well? you did? no, you're a liar. 

Patrice Bergeron - A++. I said a couple weeks ago that he's not a hart finalist quality player. I take that back. Crosby should still win, but 30-32-62 for a guy that plays 17:59 per game, with a ton of short handed time, and a league leading plus minus is unreal. 7 PP goals to lead the team? That's more like it Bergy.

Brad Marchand - C+/B-. I was hoping he would take the next step in terms of goal scoring, but he regressed a bit in terms of production this year. I'm hoping he becomes a 30-35 guy, not a 25-30 guy. 

Reilly Smith - A-. It's unfortunate that he hit that cold streak, but I don't think anyone expected a 20 goal season out of him. Great fit with this team. 

David Krejci - A. Pretty darn close to a career year for him, and a plus 39 doesn't hurt things. 

Jarome Iginla - B. Iginla was Iginla, I hope he stays. 

Milan Lucic - C+/B-. A good year, but I would like to see more than 24 goals out of him. Still love what he brings on the forecheck. 

Carl Soderberg - A (at center) B (at wing). Thrilled with him. He really made that third line go. 

Chris Kelly - C-. Was definitely hoping for more offensively, but he plays the system and certainly hasn't hurt that third line. 

Loui Eriksson - Incomplete/C. He's definitely started to come around, but the injuries and a rough start wasn't what I was hoping for. 

Gregory Campbell - C+. Just a pretty standard year for a good fourth line center. 

Daniel Paille - C-. Didn't produce nearly as much as last year. 

Shawn Thornton - F. If he can't win fights what good is he?

Jordan Caron - F-------. He might be the most overpaid human being on the planet. Let's demote him to the federal league. I hear the danbury Whalers need a third line RW. 

Matt Fraser - D. I expected way more from him. I was hoping he could take over the fourth line RW and we wouldn't have to see 22 in the playoffs. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Final Grades: Regular season

"Gregory Campbell - C+. Just a pretty standard year for a good fourth line center. 

Daniel Paille - C-. Didn't produce nearly as much as last year."

Everything else looks good except these two. I just will never understand why some hockey fans look at offensive stats when looking at 4th line players like Paille. His real skill is the PK, since he arrived the Bruins PK remains at the top pf the league.

"Matt Fraser - D. I expected way more from him. I was hoping he could take over the fourth line RW and we wouldn't have to see 22 in the playoffs."

I was disappointed in his offensive output but he was never even in the running for what Julien wants from a 4th line player. Fraser can really only play on the 3rd line with the Bruins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gregory Campbell - C+. Just a pretty standard year for a good fourth line center. 

[/QUOTE]

This what the best 4th line in hockey gets???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thornton had a horrible year, and the other two were much better last year, I expected more

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thornton had a horrible year, and the other two were much better last year, I expected more

[/QUOTE]

Did you expect 20 goals from Thornton... in his 7 years with Boston, he's averaged about 5 goals per season and that's what he had. This was his second best season with Boston in terms of +/- if you prefer that stat. Second fewest penalty minutes. Respectable hits. So what did you want?

Campbell was coming back from a broken leg... and his point totals are up over the last 2 seasons. Hits are way up, shots are up and penalty minutes down. Another plus season. So what did you want?

Paille had 2 concussions this season... and still his point totals are up, hits are up, shots are up and penalty minutes down. This season ties his best +/- in the NHL. So, again, what did you want?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How much more can you really expect from a 4th line? They all play hard, can chip in a goal or two, and two of them are very good penalty killers as well. Thornton, at this point of his career (really the end), certainly isn't much of a fighter anymore, but is a part of the chemistry that makes them pretty effective for 8-9 minutes a game. There's not a coach in the league that wouldn't want what they bring each night.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did you expect 20 goals from Thornton... in his 7 years with Boston, he's averaged about 5 goals per season and that's what he had. This was his second best season with Boston in terms of +/- if you prefer that stat. Second fewest penalty minutes. Respectable hits. So what did you want?

Campbell was coming back from a broken leg... and his point totals are up over the last 2 seasons. Hits are way up, shots are up and penalty minutes down. Another plus season. So what did you want?

Paille had 2 concussions this season... and still his point totals are up, hits are up, shots are up and penalty minutes down. This season ties his best +/- in the NHL. So, again, what did you want?

[/QUOTE]

Thornton is a fighter. He doesn't win fights anymore.

Paille had 10 goals and 7 assists last season. 9 and 9 this year. So ya. Point totals are up. However last season was 48 games. This season was 82. 

I might adjust Campbell's grade. But not by much

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Team grades:

Kelly:  D

Caron:  F (you!)

Everyone else:  A+

Let's go Bruins.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Team grades:

Kelly:  D

Caron:  F (you!)

Everyone else:  A+

Let's go Bruins.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much.  Everyone did as much or better than could be expected of them, and deserve high grades.  Even Kelly was decent once he fit into the role of 3rd line LW.  Not $3 million decent, but a solid player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think even Kelly deserves better.  He's been a perfect third wheel retrieving pucks, keeping the play moving, extending zone time and getting the puck to Soderberg and Eriksson so they can do something with it.  That's his job on that line.  He's done it pretty well, I think.

The Paille thing is a bit silly.  Last season is a total outlier among his years in Boston.  He usually comes in between 15 and 10 points, 7-10 goals.  Now, if he was 23-24 you might look at last year and think he's maturing/progressing/developing, but Paille turns 30 tomorrow.  This is the player - at least as long as his role remains the same.  Ditto Campbell, really.  His point production was right in the wheelhouse.  That 4th line continues to be a plus and chew up minutes.  I don't know what more you can expect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A subjective fair assessment for the most part. Have no idea why so hard on Thornton though. He plays his position to a T. Plays the boards and goes for the net one way or another and is ready for whatever. He had to endure a long suspension and then pick up game pace a little. I see no degradation in his game. He did what was expected.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Marchand's grade is way too low as well at C+/B-.  The guy puts up 20+ and doesn't play a lick of PP time.   Plus, he gets all those shorties.    I don't see Bergeron's (or Smith's) production being as high without the skillset of Marchand.  He is one of the most creative wingers in the league (which often gets overlooked)--not too many wingers can skate it into the zone 1-on-2, delay, do a button hook, and hit the trailer in Boychuk, Chara, Krug for a great chance.   His work and moves during the cycle to create chances are also amongst the best for wingers in the entire NHL.  He is an A-/A for me.    

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A subjective fair assessment for the most part. Have no idea why so hard on Thornton though. He plays his position to a T. Plays the boards and goes for the net one way or another and is ready for whatever. He had to endure a long suspension and then pick up game pace a little. I see no degradation in his game. He did what was expected.

[/QUOTE]

Ya a fair assessment if his facts weren't completely wrong. Pailles and Campbell's point production is down. Pailles way way down compared to last year

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Marchand's grade is way too low as well at C+/B-.  The guy puts up 20+ and doesn't play a lick of PP time.   Plus, he gets all those shorties.    I don't see Bergeron's (or Smith's) production being as high without the skillset of Marchand.  He is one of the most creative wingers in the league (which often gets overlooked)--not too many wingers can skate it into the zone 1-on-2, delay, do a button hook, and hit the trailer in Boychuk, Chara, Krug for a great chance.   His work and moves during the cycle to create chances are also amongst the best for wingers in the entire NHL.  He is an A-/A for me.    

[/QUOTE]

as I said it reflects performance compares to expectation. Marchand produced at a higher clip the last two seasons 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from btrentor. Show btrentor's posts

Coaches - A

Integrated several young players.

Taught the system and rewarded those who followed it.

Changed and vastly improved the power play.

Kept things positive (at least what we saw) and helped build confidence in tough times.

Backed slumping players when others ripped them.

I'm sure more can be added.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Compare this then...

Just changed my grade for Marchand to an A+.  See below... It's not his fault, he's not on the PP...just saying.  

Top 10   Non Powerplay Goal scorers in the NHL (Shorties goals in parenthesis)

1) Perry 35 (1)

2) Pacioretti 29 (1)

3) Kessell 29 (0)

4) Ovechkin 27 (0)...Rocket Richard Winner

5) Seguin 26 (0)

6) Pavelski 25 (0)...Hart Candidate

7) Crosby 25 (0)...Hart Candidate

8) Marchand 24 (5)

9) Don't care

10) Point made

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Compare this then...

Just changed my grade for Marchand to an A+.  See below... It's not his fault, he's not on the PP...just saying.  

Top 10   5-on-5 scorers in the NHL (Shorties goals in parenthesis)

1) Perry 35 (1)

2) Pacioretti 29 (1)

3) Kessell 29 (0)

4) Ovechkin 27 (0)

5) Seguin 26 (0)

6) Pavelski 25 (0)

7) Crosby 25 (0)

8) Marchand 24 (5)

9) Don't care

10) Don't care

[/QUOTE]

So are doing five on five? Or short handed? 

He scored 18 in 45gp last year, a full season pace of 33 goals. He scored 28 in 76 the year before. 25 in 82 this year. I expected more. Why didn't you?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

I edited my previous post...I did nonpowerplay goals so I added  5-on-5 plus  4-on-5.  Sorry for the confusion.

I don't look at sheer goals scored as the measure.  If that is your criteria, then I can see your reasoning, and Kessell and Ovi (with his -40) would also get an A+.    I looked deeper into the statistics.  Most of the guys in the Top 30 are on their team's respective powerplays...so their goal totals are typically padded by +7 goals or more.  I'm quite certain Marchand would have had his totals padded similarly had he been put on one of the PP units.  What makes the Bruins so good is their ability to play 5-on-5 and Marchand is one of the best on the Bruins and in the entire league in that category.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

It's not like I gave him an f. He Had a average or slightly below average season by his standards

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

Ya a fair assessment if his facts weren't completely wrong. Pailles and Campbell's point production is down. Pailles way way down compared to last year

[/QUOTE]

So are yours.  Expectations should be based on a baseline, not on elevated numbers in a lockout shortened season, especially where players are mature veterans beyond the stage where you expect them to suddenly become something they haven't been.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How does Seidenberg get an incomplete and Meszaros gets a D?

Seidenberg 34 games played.

Meszaros 14 games played.

I've heard this proffessor grades on looks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Still not seeing how a player like Marchand could be in a C+ range.

Maybe the disagreement on the 4th line individual grades is that that maybe they arent the best 4th line in hockey any more.  They do a great job, but its unfair to ask Thornton to do much more than he did offensively. Agreed, if he's not going to win fights, his usefulness is diminished.  And Paille is excellent when healthy, but 2 concussions...

Not sure how a goalie referred to as the "best in the world" is an A-.  He's either the best in the world, or he could be.

I can't find a grade low enough for Caron.

B for Iginla with his hustle, physical play and 30 goals?  I'll take 5 more Bs like that please.  (pun intended)

Definitely an A for Claude.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe the disagreement on the 4th line individual grades is that that maybe they arent the best 4th line in hockey any more.  They do a great job, but its unfair to ask Thornton to do much more than he did offensively. Agreed, if he's not going to win fights, his usefulness is diminished.  And Paille is excellent when healthy, but 2 concussions...

Not sure how a goalie referred to as the "best in the world" is an A-.  He's either the best in the world, or he could be.

B for Iginla with his hustle, physical play and 30 goals?  I'll take 5 more Bs like that please.  (pun intended)

[/QUOTE]

Technically it could be true if every other goalie is an A or lower.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand the Thornton hate from some corners. First off, I disagree that "losing" a fight diminishes your usefulness to a team. A hockey fight isn't about winning as much as it is about firing up your team and possibly making a statement -- i.e. "you can't get away with that stuff with us." Thornton does his job in both regards. He isn't out there to fight just for the heck of it.

And who would you rather have? A guy who wins a lot of fights but costs your team goals and games?? Do you want Colton Orr and his 0-0-0 -3 line (in 54 games) or maybe Chris Neil with his 8-6-14 -10 line (in 76 games)? Most of the "best fighters" in the NHL are at home now... the remainders may not play more than a couple minutes a game in the playoffs, if that. Put a different way, who within the Bruins' organization would be a better option for 6-8 minutes a game on the 4th line??

I'm in no way arguing that Thornton is "the best" but he's a valuable part of arguably the best and most effective 4th line in the NHL. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

It's tough to put yourself out there to give grades for Individual Players and not expect some serious scrutiny.  

Here are my grades:  

Line 1a

Iginla A+    30+ goals, tough play, great fit for the Bruins...also excellent timing in terms of replacing the injured Horton.

DK  A+  One of the best two way centers in the game

Lucic  A+  Only comparison in the league is Backes... and Lucic is more feared

Line 1b

Marchand A+  Give this guy PP time and he finished over 30 goals.  8th in the league in non-PP goals per game right behind Pavelski and Crosby.  The most creative Bruins winger.

Bergeron A+  Hart candidate

Smith A    Love to see him shoot more on the PP when he is at the top; otherwise, great fit for B's

Line 3

Kelly      A- as a winger / C as a centerman.  Having Kelly at center in years past created problems for Bruins previously as they got little secondary scoring.  He adjusted very well as a gritty, smart winger.  Overall B

Soderberg  A+   I'd love to see an analysis done on the Top 3rd line centers in the game.  

Ericcson   B-/B   His finish to the season moved him up a bit.  A bit injury prone....like his versatility to play anywhere in the Top 9 and on special teams.  

4th line...  Before you disagree, please find me another 4th line that is better.  I'd be wiling to change my grade.

Paille A   Great 4th liner and penalty killer.  Knocked off the plus due to injury

Campbell A+   Great 4th liner and penalty killer.

Thornton A    Those who knock this guy do not understand what a role player is that gets very little time on the ice...but yet still manges to chip in with some goals...plays well with Paille and Campbell

Caron, Spooner ---Incomplete

Defense

Chara A+ ----On the ice all the time...occasional makes fatigue errors---I like him in the new look PP.

Boychuk  A+ ----Great shot, solid, steady

Miller A   ----Guy is a powerhouse.  Biggest surprise for the B's in my eyes.  I don't miss McQuaid as much because of him.   Needs to work on defending quick, smaller players.

Krug A-----  Rookie of Year Candidate.  A threat from the point. He is what we wanted in Kaberle (but never got) when they traded for a D-man

Bartkowski---- C+/B-  Great skater but makes the most mistakes (either postionally or mentally) out of the group.  

Hamilton----A    7th player last year  will hopefully not be the 7th D-man in this year's playoffs.  

Mezaros----C+/B-   Like his shot and the fact he loves to shoot.  A good depth move in case one of the above gets hurt.  Also prone to mistakes but cannot skate as well as Bart

Harry Potter/Trotman/McQuaid/Seids--- Incomplete

Goalies

Tuuka  A+   Shutouts galore  

Chad Johnson  A+   Great backup

Coaches ---A ...  almost an A+ had Julien worn sun block in Florida.  ---A+ 

Sections
Shortcuts