Final Minute Line-up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Final Minute Line-up?

Was anyone else struck by the line-up choices made by CJ for the final minute or so of the game?

Pushing for the tying goal, which they almost got, was the likes of: Seidenberg, Campbell & Ference?

Hamilton, who finished 1-1-2 +1 for the game did not play over the final 1:25. 

Krejci, Lucic & Horton didn't play in the final 2:10.

Looks like CJ went Kelly line, then finished with the Bergeron line and added Campbell after pulling Rask.  Can't imagine Krejci line was benched, especially since it was the Kelly line that was on the ice for both of the Habs 3rd period goals.

I don't understand why he does this?  I would think you want your best offensive guys on the ice to scramble to get that tying goal.  Seems like Hamilton would be very good in that situation and if given the choice between the Kelly vs Krejci lines? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Final Minute Line-up?

The Krejci line sukked last night.  No reward for poor performance, despite your referencing the Kelly line as a  (-) line.  I thought the Campbell insertion was odd.  But he went on to win the puck in the corner.  Seguin almost scored, I was hopeful of a goal like the Canadien received during the game.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Campbell is generally the guy who replaces Rask at the end of the game.

The extra forward while still remaining defensively responsible, maybe? 

I agree, Crowls.  Go for it.  Don't kind of go for it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

CJ was sending messages.

I'm sure those that he intended them for got it loud and clear.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

For all to see, Kreji and his linemates did not play very well. Kreji caused the first Habs goal with a dumb short pass in the feet of Boychuck; Lucic was just so-so; and horton took the night off for most of the game. Thornton and Bourque are equally inept; and the Kelly line is sputtering with a revolving left wing. the Defense is another story since both Ference and Seidenberg are fading in speed and coverage; McQuaid is erratic; and, it appears that Claude has zero confidence in Johnson. Time for Peter to improve the mix, and for both Bourque and Thornton to be replaced permanently.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bogie, do you have a function key set to paste "Ference and Seidenberg"?  You have written their names in complaint about 50 times in the last two days.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Wheatskins' comment:

CJ was sending messages.

I'm sure those that he intended them for got it loud and clear.

What was the intended message for Hamilton?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

In response to Wheatskins' comment:

What was the intended message for Hamilton?

I would rather have seen Hamilton and Chara out for that last minute rather than Seidenberg and Chara

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I need to correct the record, Hamilton did not have a helper last night; so 1-0-1 +1.

Still, think he shoud have been out there over Seidenberg & Ference.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

The top line was out of gas at the 10 minute mark of the Third. As we dither, wither Bourque? Wither Thornton? The 4th Line has become a hodge-podge, a repository for guys Julien doesn't know what else to do with and ultimately one he doesn't have a whole lotta faith in. Thornton and Pandolfo played 6 minutes each last night.

With games every other night for the next 4 months (assuming the B's make the Final) - games that will only increase in importance and intensity - the Bruins need to be able to roll 4 solid lines. And the 4th line needs to be dependable - even if for no other reason than to give your scoring forwards proper rest within the game. There is no time or space to be wasted on 'good guys in the room' or slow one-skill veterans, there is no point in a 4th line the Coach doesn't have complete confidence in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I was shocked also to see the final lineup when pulling Rask but then I went back and Krejci line almost scored (Horton) with less than 3mis to go,  they were on the ice so maybe that's why he had another set of players ?  Ference that one I don't get it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I didn't have a problem with Campbell.  Campbell was on for Rask when they got two 6 on 5 goals against Lundqvist.  He's there to retrieve pucks and cause havoc in front when he can.  You don't need every guy out there to be a great shooter,

I am more and more convinced that the problem with the third line is Kelly. He's a consummate pro, but he is in a deep, dark hole right now in a lot of ways.  Shouldn't he have been the guy to box out the opposition C on the game winner?  The great defensive player with hands of stone has to do that. He looked brutal on the second PPG by the Lightning on Saturday, too.  I've been saying the problem with the 3rd line isn't that they aren't scoring, it's that they are neither scoring nor defending up to their rep.  On both sides of that ledger, the guy I see causing the circuit break is Chris Kelly.  Peverley is charging around and creating chances, Paille was a useful addition of sorts...but Kelly is the constant in their struggles.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The Krejci line was out there with 3 mins left, so I wouldn't read much into it. Campbell is always the extra guy because they want him to go straight to the front of the net (and need another center to take the FO if needed). He's good in those two roles, so no big whoop.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I'm surprised at those that are comfortable with Kelly, Paille & Peverley skating the 2nd to last shift of the game, down by 1.   Seidenberg/Ference over Hamilton?

Basic situational awareness at work here.  Either this was CJ's plan of attack or he lost himself in the moment.  Either explanation is worthy of some critcism. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

I'm surprised at those that are comfortable with Kelly, Paille & Peverley skating the 2nd to last shift of the game, down by 1.   Seidenberg/Ference over Hamilton?

Basic situational awareness at work here.  Either this was CJ's plan of attack or he lost himself in the moment.  Either explanation is worthy of some critcism. 

Kelly's line created more scoring chances last night than Krejci's did. Perhaps that's all it was about. I'm not saying CJ was right or wrong. I'm only trying to figure out his mind set.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

I was shocked also to see the final lineup when pulling Rask but then I went back and Krejci line almost scored (Horton) with less than 3mis to go,  they were on the ice so maybe that's why he had another set of players ?  Ference that one I don't get it.

CJ had him out the last time the B's pulled their goalie also so this was no accident. Not sure of the logic here especially considering his play so far this season. Even McQuaid had more scoring opportunities than Ference last night and isn't that the point of pulling your goalie, as a last ditch effort to scoring and tying up the game?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

This is what happens when all 4 lines aren't clicking for a coach that rolls 4. Send a message to your top 3 forwards when your battling for 1st place in a tight game ?

Keep those flier miles up PC, keep looking cause your bottom 6 forwards aren't picking it up like thye have the past two years. When you're down a goal, tied or up a goal with 5 minutes left in any of the 3 periods, your best players should be on the ice. 

You have to give the midgets some credit as well though, they kept coming. Todays headline in all the hocley sections of New England should read what I used to read in the 70s n 80s. "Boston wins the fight but lose the game to Montreal".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He went 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd with the forwards.  I'm not sure that's indefensible.  Sometimes the goal of that line before the final push is to get a faceoff in the offensive zone so you can set up the final push.

If Hamilton came off with 1:25 to go, it's not like he was benched.  I think Ference over Hamilton was about sheltering Hamilton from a situation where he might not have the best chance to succeed - short rest on back to back days for a kid adjusting to the NHL grind, pretty much a double shift in a game that was one more hack away from getting out of hand, home ice against a division rival with first place on the line etc..  I'm not saying this is the way to go, but it's a way to go if you are, like CJ, a coach who is cautious in the way he exposes his rookies.

That might be putting the need of the rookie over the team goal of winning the game in the short term, but over the course of the year, they will need Hamilton to have as much energy, confidence and track record as possible.  Bruins still have three games in hand on the Scabs and are down two points.  They've split the season series so far.  As for Seidenberg and Ference, here's the line on the two goals vs. the Rangers:

Horton from Lucic and Ference.

Marchand from Bergeron and Seidenberg.

Looks like CJ went with what worked last time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"He went 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd with the forwards.  I'm not sure that's indefensible.  Sometimes the goal of that line before the final push is to get a faceoff in the offensive zone so you can set up the final push."

It actually is defensible because the hindsight shoot-from-the-hip would quip "Well why the 3rd line before the 2nd line went out ? why not the 1st ?" Julien could have been planning a timeout to insert Horton and Krejci but decided not to becuase the 2nd line generated most of the offense all night and/or "he went with a previous plan".

I can live with that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I didn't have a problem with Campbell.  Campbell was on for Rask when they got two 6 on 5 goals against Lundqvist.  He's there to retrieve pucks and cause havoc in front when he can.  You don't need every guy out there to be a great shooter,

I am more and more convinced that the problem with the third line is Kelly. He's a consummate pro, but he is in a deep, dark hole right now in a lot of ways.  Shouldn't he have been the guy to box out the opposition C on the game winner?  The great defensive player with hands of stone has to do that. He looked brutal on the second PPG by the Lightning on Saturday, too.  I've been saying the problem with the 3rd line isn't that they aren't scoring, it's that they are neither scoring nor defending up to their rep.  On both sides of that ledger, the guy I see causing the circuit break is Chris Kelly.  Peverley is charging around and creating chances, Paille was a useful addition of sorts...but Kelly is the constant in their struggles.

Everyone knows the problem all year has been Chris Bourque.  Right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Everyone knows the problem all year has been Chris Bourque.  Right?

You're giving Bourque too much credit. He's the biggest reason the 3rd line has been weak but he's not the only reason. Put down the rest of the line all you'd like. That still won't make Bourque any less of a bust. Just let him go. It'll feel better.

Sections
Shortcuts