Fire All Coaches

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Fire All Coaches

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

If this is true, why are the sitting in the basement for PPs?  Fewest in the league with a bullet. 

Because they're easy to get the puck from?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I have no patience for fire the coach when the players are squeezing the stick too tightly, nor do I buy for one second that Thomas made an average system look good.  We'll see what happens when he plays for the Isles, and the results will be tainted by the fact that he'll be coming back after a year, but there's a better than average chance the system and Thomas were made for each other - the system leads to long shots and aims to minimize lateral passes and rebound opportunities.  Thomas likes to come out and challenge aggressively, then, on the occasions where the D drops the ball on the lateral passes or rebounds, make athletic plays to recover.  Perfect fit.

The players are thinking. That's never a good idea.  Firing Julien and trying to install a new system at this point doesn't get them to stop thinking.

Don't fire him because of one loss.  Fire him because the team hasn't returned from Deadsville.  I've defended this team up and down the river for six weeks in hopes that they would shake the funk. 

They haven't.

Fire him because there is no accountability.

Fire him because the team doesn't play for him.

Fire him because he thinks the goon should be on the ice with 80 seconds left.

Fire him for putting Jagr with Campbell and Paille.

Fire him for putting Jagr at the point on the powerplay.

Fire him for putting Greg Campbell out when they pull the goalie.

Fire him for putting Thornton in the box for bench minors.

The list goes on and on and on.  As I stated in the first post, this isn't a knee jerk reaction.  He's been pushing me to this for quite a while.  Enough is enough.  I don't want the season to end after five first round games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I can imagine the opposite just as easily, though, and it would be more consistent with the way they seem to operate on the PP generally.  "Get the puck to the net.  Get bodies to the net.  Move it side to side to create a shooting lane, but when you have a clear shot, take it."  The only thing I could see being different in that situation is "remember - empty net, so if you take the shot, make sure it's not going to be blocked back out of the zone or ring around the boards".  And yea, maybe some version of "we have a full minute - don't panic".

And in any case, when there are 10 seconds left, I would hope a player recognizes that "wait for an empty net" is no longer viable advice.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to readsocks' comment:

so Lucic and Horton deserved to be out there? no one is scoring goals.. Lucic is a turnover machine, and Horton plain stinks the place up nightly... 

Hello.  Let me introduce myself.  We've never met.  I'm a stat sheet.

(Horton had goals in four of five games going into last night, ya boner.  Back to Fenway.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Firing Julien at this point might work and it might not - it would certainly send a message to the League that this team is unstable, fragile, ripe for the pickin'. I think the solutions are simpler, easier and wouldn't betray any insecurity.

Get Kelly back.

Get Bergeron back.

Try Krejci and Jagr together next practice (and fill the other spot on that line with ______. )

I'm sure there is a meeting taking place between the GM, the President and The Coach right now.

No way Claude isn't aware that his 'performance' last night wasn't his best.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:

Julien has me starting to think warm thoughts, about the coaching abilities of...Steve Kasper!

Maybe it's the result of watching yet another boring, emotionless, lackluster game, performed by this boring, emotionless, lackluster team, or maybe it's losing another $50 to 2 Hab fans at work...again, but I would have no problem seeing this entire coaching crew, kicked to the curb.

I have no idea how this team has managed to play so poorly for the majority of this season, and achieve such a good record. I guess, if a team has enough talent in the watered down cap friendly NHL,it can get by with little effort.

Sure isn't fun to watch.

This is it biggskye, look no further, i'm in the same boat as you and there is nothing worse than having to fork over money to a smiling,gloating, rub it in your face Scab fan, believe me i know this feeling all too well. What makes it worse is when the B's put in a performance like that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

If this is true, why are the sitting in the basement for PPs?  Fewest in the league with a bullet. 

Because they're easy to get the puck from?

Sure, but that says nothing about "teams aren't afraid of the Bruin PP."  If that were true, I'd expect to see teams taking flagrant fouls every time the Bruins started to gain some momentum just to shut them down and kill their momentum.  People keep bringing this up, but there's no evidence that it's true other than "it makes sense."  Maybe it does, but karma being what karma is, you won't see a team in any hurry to take a penalty because they think they can afford it.  That happens once, and they get burned, and it doesn't happen again.  I kind of wish it were true - they might ahve a better sense of what to do on the PP if they actually implemented one more than once or twice a game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Sure, but that says nothing about "teams aren't afraid of the Bruin PP."  If that were true, I'd expect to see teams taking flagrant fouls every time the Bruins started to gain some momentum just to shut them down and kill their momentum.  People keep bringing this up, but there's no evidence that it's true other than "it makes sense."  Maybe it does, but karma being what karma is, you won't see a team in any hurry to take a penalty because they think they can afford it.  That happens once, and they get burned, and it doesn't happen again.  I kind of wish it were true - they might ahve a better sense of what to do on the PP if they actually implemented one more than once or twice a game.

Sorry.  I misunderstood.  Yeah, the theory of "teams take liberties with the B's because the powerplay is a joke" is stupid.  I've missed very few games over the past few years.  I can't remember one time that this could even be suggested.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

excelant post!!

I have no patience for fire the coach when the players are squeezing the stick too tightly, nor do I buy for one second that Thomas made an average system look good.  We'll see what happens when he plays for the Isles, and the results will be tainted by the fact that he'll be coming back after a year, but there's a better than average chance the system and Thomas were made for each other - the system leads to long shots and aims to minimize lateral passes and rebound opportunities.  Thomas likes to come out and challenge aggressively, then, on the occasions where the D drops the ball on the lateral passes or rebounds, make athletic plays to recover.  Perfect fit.

The players are thinking. That's never a good idea.  Firing Julien and trying to install a new system at this point doesn't get them to stop thinking.

Don't fire him because of one loss.  Fire him because the team hasn't returned from Deadsville.  I've defended this team up and down the river for six weeks in hopes that they would shake the funk. 

They haven't.

The list goes on and on and on.  As I stated in the first post, this isn't a knee jerk reaction.  He's been pushing me to this for quite a while.  Enough is enough.  I don't want the season to end after five first round games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

In response to paulbking's comment:

excelant post!!

They haven't.

and you know they will lose in the 1st round   you can just feel it!....and so do the bruins!  HOW TO FIX IT ? THE MILLION DOLAR QUESTION

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Its hard not to share NAS's disbelief about a number of these coaching decisions. But firing  the coaching staff isn't the answer. And if for some wild reason Julien was included in the pot to go then who could he replaced by?

I've struggled with a number of Bruin losses this season but we're not quite at the firing stage yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Win three of four, lose a one goal game to the Scabs on two fluke goals, one kicked in by a rookie injury fill-in who probably gets replaced by a veteran in the next week: Fire the Coach.

Nobody is going to say with a straight face that they played well last night, and that PP was the most bizarre thing I've seen in a long time.  But is it Julien's fault, or Ward's fault, that when Lucic makes a pass from behind the net to a guy in perfect position to bury the equalizer, he chooses to cycle the puck back to the point rather than shoot?  They kept looking for pretty rather than effective.  I guarantee you that is not what Ward is coaching them to do.

Alleluia!

This is good stuff. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I can imagine the opposite just as easily, though, and it would be more consistent with the way they seem to operate on the PP generally.  "Get the puck to the net.  Get bodies to the netMove it side to side to create a shooting lane, but when you have a clear shot, take it."  The only thing I could see being different in that situation is "remember - empty net, so if you take the shot, make sure it's not going to be blocked back out of the zone or ring around the boards".  And yea, maybe some version of "we have a full minute - don't panic".

And in any case, when there are 10 seconds left, I would hope a player recognizes that "wait for an empty net" is no longer viable advice.

with Chara as the sole point man this ^^^^^^^ will never, never happen. Like I stated on my PP thread, their system has 4 players playing the perimeters .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"And yea, maybe some version of "we have a full minute - don't panic".

That is what coaching is supposed to instill "confidence". It isn'y happenong at all now, Bruins are playing with panic like a bunch of 4th liners with an open look on the net.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

It doesn't look like they're being coached at all.  I don't see anything clicking at all.

What didn't he like about Seguin playing center?

OK, so Seguin is a problem at center.

So Peverly - who's been playing awful - gets 'rewarded' by going to the 2nd line.

No 'punishment' for Seguin.

Jagr who has been playing well gets demoted to 3rd line.

Explain this to me.  I'm open minded.  Make sense of this to me.

I didn't think Seguin was that bad, but I don't have Julien's eye for defense.  Why was a Bartkowski pairing out there with that line?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Strictly curious - not making to plant the seeds of an excuse....like I said just curious - How often do you think they practice 6-on-4? 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Claud Julien is mocking the Bruin fans with his stubborn play to lose attitude. In the mean time he is destroying seguin. Thanks for the cup dumbo but its time to move on

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from doodles444s. Show doodles444s's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"And yea, maybe some version of "we have a full minute - don't panic".

That is what coaching is supposed to instill "confidence". It isn'y happenong at all now, Bruins are playing with panic like a bunch of 4th liners with an open look on the net.

I feel like they were looking for the perfect shot because they were also concerned of losing the puck if deflected or on the rebound... afraid getting scored on. (and lost track of time)

Julien should be happy they were still thinking defense :)

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They haven't.

Some of these things are mysterious, I agree, but I don't think I'd call them firing offenses.  Plenty of coaches put the goon in the box for bench minors.  I imagine the thinking is that if the calls even up, you don't want one of your better 4 on 4 skaters sitting cooling his heels.  Campbell is better than a lot of the top six forwards at puck retrieval and is willing to stand there and risk getting caved in by Chara's shot.  Late in a one goal game, you're looking for a couple of things - one of them is a face-off in the offensive zone so you can call time-out and get the goalie out.  You give that mission to the "energy line" and follow up with rested skilled players if they succeed.  These might not be your preferences, but I can see a logic to them.  That is, I don't think they're blindly stupid in a "fire stupid" sort of way.

The handling of Jagr has been a bit bizarre, but since he arrived, the team has two goals.  You can see his immense talent handling the puck, but he hasn't fit into the system yet - that is, I don't think he's moving the puck at the right time to the right guy in transition, and he's been slow to get it to guys who are open.  That's just adjustment.  Claude has to figure out how to use him, and I can't fathom that impromptu line will remain for long.  I also can't imagine he won't be down low on the PP very soon as they experiment with him. 

Really, this comes down to the first two: no accountability (they are being allowed to continue to play without any fire) and they aren't playing for Julien.  Really, isn't that just one thing?  What would accountability look like?  Seguin and Marchand were floundering last night.  Without Bergeron to run things through, they didn't know how to play off of each other or who that other guy was.  How do you hold them accountable for that other than by giving the third and fourth lines more ice?  Horton should have buried three separate golden chances - one I was unable to believe he missed on.  Accountability there would be to put Jagr in Horton's spot, I guess, and thereby break up the last remaining line with any chemistry.  I'd love them to bench someone and play Spooner or Caron - but those guys haven't done squat to show they can help pull the team out of its slump. 

I'm not trying to be a Julien apologist here - I love to see them play a more aggressive, physical, high tempo game - but I still see this team as more than the sum of its parts because of the framework they play within - especially the D.  I'm not convinced Julien's time is done here, and I change, either now or in the off-season, is going to be a real risk. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Coaches haven't been doing their job but the players haven't been doing their job either.

Can't fire all the players but I'm not putting the lack of effort on the coaches.

Sections
Shortcuts