Fire Coach --> ?? --> Cup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Re: Fire Coach --> ?? --> Cup

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to Klaas's comment:

On the flip side, does Keeping Championship Coach --> ?? --> Cup. In the semi-modern era, other than the greatest coach of all-time Scotty Bowman, Sather of the Oilers dynasty, and Al Arbour of the Islanders dynasty, the answer is a BIG NO!

No, but the point is shouldn't you make a move because you know what you need rather than just because you want a change?  To me, getting rid of a coach who's winning but not winning the Cup every year in favour of an unknown who may not fit the personnel is flailing.

But Books , according to the laws of average (outside of a few cases that I mentioned), it behoves the Bruins to make a coaching change. I have faith that PC will figure out what kind of coach the Bruins will need in the future.

There is much to like in Julien's coaching system. My viewpoint is that Julien is most effective in a scenario where a team has no structure along with not much offensive talent, thus a defensive system will springboard such a team forward.

However, the Bruins now have many offensive players in their system, thus a new approach could be more effective. Basically you try to win games other than just with scores of 2-1.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:

However, the Bruins now have many offensive players in their system, thus a new approach could be more effective. Basically you try to win games other than just with scores of 2-1.

So playing with a more offensive-minded coach will somehow magically make the Bruins offensive juggernaut players stop shooting the puck into the glass or trying to shoot the puck through the goalie's chest?
    I hate to break this to you, regardless of coach...

Steven Stamkos isn't walking through that door.

Pavel Datsyuk isn't walking through that door.

Alex Ovechkin isn't walking through that door.

I think there is this unproven belief that this team is littered with closet-snipers. Guess what Phil Kessel had 36 goals under Julien, was "unchained" from the system and had a whopping one-goal improvement.

Let's just have another win tonight!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

In response to Klaas' comment:

So playing with a more offensive-minded coach will somehow magically make the Bruins offensive juggernaut players stop shooting the puck into the glass or trying to shoot the puck through the goalie's chest?

I think there is this unproven belief that this team is littered with closet-snipers. Guess what Phil Kessel had 36 goals under Julien, was "unchained" from the system and had a whopping one-goal improvement.

Nutty, I've just realized that you don't post anywhere near often enough. I sincerely think you're at 344 quality posts in a row. Well done! Keep it rolling!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

You very well may be right, but I don't think the Kessel logic really holds;

Bergeron got 31 under Sullivan

Paille got 19 under Ruff

Peverly got 22 under Anderson

All of them with their career best under another coach.  Kelly equaled his previous best under Julien.  The rest are career Bruins so you can't really say, and of course I left out Recchi and Jagr as it would be unfair to play their career high stats into this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"as you don't know how a new coach is going to work with the existing roster.  Some people have picked their poison, though for the most part, the guys being mentioned are employed.  But even then, you just don't know how the team will mesh with the system."

If a new coach were to be brought in then the partial rebuild would take place and there would be no concern for what a former coach wants.

I still say Julien survives an early exit anyways and PC will have take what he gets in salary dumps. This will need to be done to get more depth in scoring.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Some really good points here, for both sides.. this is the best thread in a while..

One thing I have noticed, last night, I watched the Canucks-Hawks game, Sunday night I watched the Sharks-Blue Jackets game. I saw a significant amount of players doing creative stuff in the offensive zone. Both games. I actually noticed it a while back watching other games and now I just look for it. Bruins seem to be almost robotic when it comes to this stuff.

Next time your watching another game, look for it, then compare it to what you see the Bruins do.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Some really good points here, for both sides.. this is the best thread in a while..

One thing I have noticed, last night, I watched the Canucks-Hawks game, Sunday night I watched the Sharks-Blue Jackets game. I saw a significant amount of players doing creative stuff in the offensive zone. Both games. I actually noticed it a while back watching other games and now I just look for it. Bruins seem to be almost robotic when it comes to this stuff.

Next time your watching another game, look for it, then compare it to what you see the Bruins do.

I wish I saw that match, two highly skilled teams going at it.. or to touch all the bases.. maybe two highly skilled "systems" going at it lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

The team's leading goal scorers are just over the 17 minute mark.  If they were just over the 20 minute mark, like many top players, they'd have an extra three minutes on the ice a game.  In this shortened season, that's an extra 144 minutes, or 8.4 more games at 17 minutes per game.

That's significant.

[/QUOTE]

These are 2 yutes, they are perfect physical specimens, over 99 days they play an extra 144mins not 8.4 games all in one day.  I am pretty sure they can handle it.  We have an overweight 41 year old playing more mins and he is handling it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

In response to No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's comment:

Total    last 10           last 10 games  136  283

Camp 13:42        17:57       15:42 14:38 18:32 19:24 22:00 21:12 15:29 19:31 13:53 18:06

Pail     12:41         14:30      14:14 14:09 13:24 11:06 12:54 14:19 15:08 17:50 14:52 12:47

B's record 5-4-1

Seg 17:03           16:05       16:02 17:24 14:49 16:11 15:50 14:14 14:56 16:15 19:08 16:04

March 17:04        16:08       15:29 16:25 15:30                       8:25 16:08 15:40  16:22 17:01

Camp Pail mins up, top 2 goal scorers mins down

I'll take Seg and March any time

Next dipshiite comment

I'll take a stab at that next dipshite comment by suggesting you're missing the obvious again Goat.  The Bruins have "never" ever played through a schedule as rigorous as March and April of this year.  It's absolutely unheard of.  Basically, a game every other day.  If you want your big guns fresh, and ready to go, when the big season(playoffs)starts, you don't wear them out in meaningless games leading up to that point.

The only way to do that...is redistribute some minutes.

If they games in the season are meaningless, then sorry by all means rest them 2-3 games at atime- sheeesh.  In a shortened season there has not been 1 game meaningless yet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I believe I'm looking at a team that is less than the sum of it's parts.

I can only attribute that to coaching.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I believe I'm looking at a team that is less than the sum of it's parts.

I can only attribute that to coaching.

I don't know how anyone could argue the first part.  When you break down the issues though, using last night as a routine example...it seems to go outside the realm of coaching.  If turning the puck over, was being coached, or allowing terrible goals, or losing faceoffs, or missing the net.....I'd agree.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

[/QUOTE]
    Sportsnutty. That trying to shoot the puck through a goalie's chest is a result of players trying to adher to Julien's offensive philosophy ... keep it simple, shoot the puck on net, etc. Regarding the lame-brain offensive plays you see under a Julien offensive system, that likely is a result of players having engrained in the back of their minds that it is more important to not have a turnover than to make a creative offensive play (one sees that manifest in the Bruins PP in particular).

Oh, and Datsyuk has walked through that door. OV and Stamkos, well they play on loser teams. More appropriate examples could have been Crosby and Malkin, seeing they usually win scoring titles anyways.

It is no wonder why a player like Morrow, most likely after consulting with Ryder in Dallas (remember him and note how he has been unchained from Julien's system), chose a team other than a Julien coached team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Ryder went to a non-playoff team where he promptly missed the playoffs regardless of how many goals he scored.  He was then deemed not worth keeping and ditched to the Shabs, another team that once decided he wasn't worth keeping.

Blaming the bad shooting on the coaching is giving the players a huge get out of jail free card.  We're talking about an inability to finish on great creative plays, not guys shooting from outside the circles.  Lucic on Jagr's feed last night.  Bergeron twice from the low slot.  Seguin at least twice missing high by more than a foot standing inside the dot. Every defenseman on the team with every shot from every conceivable spot on the ice - except Hamilton.  Julien's system is 90% defensive responsibility and "puck management" - players are encouraged to go make it happen on offense.  This isn't basketball where the coach is calling set plays from the bench.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Books. Are you talking about that Ryder who has 3 GW goals for the Habs (Bruins could be ahead of Habs by 3 points if not for that), and also 11 PP points while in only 25 games for Montreal this year (almost twice as many as any Bruin has in almost 20 more games).

And note Bookboy, I hope I'm wrong, but sometimes when players tune out a coach, they start playing like zombies and make lame-brain decisions. Juliens system isn't the easiest or most natural for many players to play under. I have friends who are familiar with Julien as they are big time Habs fans. They told me a few years ago to watch out for Julien because eventually players will tune him out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

This analysis isn't perfect - I'm not sure if the information needed is readily available anywhere, but I think it will do.

For every minute of PP time Ryder is getting this season, he gets 6 points.

For every minute of PP time Ryder got his last season in Boston, he got 7 points.

In other words, the numbers he has may be a result of being on a team that draws far more penalties as the Bruins, rather than him being better able to produce elsewhere.

Sections
Shortcuts