First Round: Ottawa or Florida?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

First Round: Ottawa or Florida?

Looks like it may be either Ottawa (more likely) or Florida (less likely)

Ottawa: has offensive firepower (Spezza, Alfresson, Michalek, Gonchar, Karlsson) and good team toughness (Neil, Smith, Cowan, Foligno). But, their D can play soft and their goaltending is stocked with tenders that has never won a playoff series.

Florida: has a good team concept (courtesy of Coach Dineen) and some vets who are having decent rebound seasons (Campbell, Versteeg, Theodore). But, they lack consistent scoring and any type of playoff identity having not been in the playoffs since the second coming.

I prefer Ottawa in a first round matchup. Reason?  Playing the Panthers may lull the B's to sleep which can perhaps lead to an upset (1996?). B's have a history with Ottawa (being in the same division) which means they may be more engaged.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: First Round: Ottawa or Florida?

In Response to First Round: Ottawa or Florida?:
    [QUOTE]Looks like it may be either Ottawa (more likely) or Florida (less likely) Ottawa: has offensive firepower (Spezza, Alfresson, Michalek, Gonchar, Karlsson) and good team toughness (Neil, Smith, Cowan, Foligno). But, their D can play soft and their goaltending is stocked with tenders that has never won a playoff series. Florida: has a good team concept (courtesy of Coach Dineen) and some vets who are having decent rebound seasons (Campbell, Versteeg, Theodore). But, they lack consistent scoring and any type of playoff identity having not been in the playoffs since the second coming. I prefer Ottawa in a first round matchup. Reason?  Playing the Panthers may lull the B's to sleep which can perhaps lead to an upset (1996?). B's have a history with Ottawa (being in the same division) which means they may be more engaged. Anyone else have any thoughts?
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

jay - Somehow I'd prefer the Panthers because despite their 37-25-18 record their GF/GA is an odd 197 - 222 so they don't exactly fill nets.  They have 18 OTLs that might also speak to an inability to score enough to decide games. 

Florida's 222 GA has them ranked 15th in the league but only 5 goals from being placed 21st.  With the Sens' 246 goals they can score led by the guys you mentioned.  Not the tightest defensively with 233 GA but I'll go with the Bruins' ability to put the weaker offense of the two on lockdown. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Good point on the all the Ot's the Panthers have been involved in this year RHO. What makes me nervous about that is that once overtime starts it becomes a 50/50 game in which one shot will win it. The Panthers are seemingly made for this type of game. I would prefer the B's not have to go into a series with a team like that.

Perhaps I just have nightmares about 1996 where a hodge-podge Panther team came out of nowhere with a goalie that was supposed to be washed up in Vanbiesbrouck (ring a bell?) and surprised their way to an unlikely cup final. The B's were the first victims. I can still taste the bitterness in my mouth....:)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: First Round: Ottawa or Florida?:
    [QUOTE]Good point on the all the Ot's the Panthers have been involved in this year RHO. What makes me nervous about that is that once overtime starts it becomes a 50/50 game in which one shot will win it. The Panthers are seemingly made for this type of game. I would prefer the B's not have to go into a series with a team like that. Perhaps I just have nightmares about 1996 where a hodge-podge Panther team came out of nowhere with a goalie that was supposed to be washed up in Vanbiesbrouck (ring a bell?) and surprised their way to an unlikely cup final. The B's were the first victims. I can still taste the bitterness in my mouth....:)

1996?
    How long ago was that?

For me that was 1 wife, 3 jobs and about 40 lbs. ago.

And visions of Steve Kasper and Blaine Lacher.

How about my calm?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Round: Ottawa or Florida? : 1996? How long ago was that? For me that was 1 wife, 3 jobs and about 40 lbs. ago. And visions of Steve Kasper and Blaine Lacher. How about my calm?
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Guess I just have a long memory.....:)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Ottawa will be a much more fun series to watch than Florida, which is a pretty boring team all around imo. Can't see the Bruins losing to either of these teams but anything is possible.

Isn't it pretty much a lock that they play Ottawa at this point? Pumped for tomorrows game even though it's meaningless I'm sure both teams will do some message sending before the series.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Ottawa will be a much more fun series to watch than Florida, which is a pretty boring team all around imo. Can't see the Bruins losing to either of these teams but anything is possible. Isn't it pretty much a lock that they play Ottawa at this point? Pumped for tomorrows game even though it's meaningless I'm sure both teams will do some message sending before the series.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

I think Alfredson has scored every goal of his career v. the Bruins.  They always seem to do well against the Bruins and have won games when they've been bad

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Round: Ottawa or Florida? : I think Alfredson has scored every goal of his career v. the Bruins.  They always seem to do well against the Bruins and have won games when they've been bad
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    It does seem that way sometimes doesn't it?
    On the flip side, Thomas' numbers against Ottawa in his career are crazy: 23-9-2 in 34 starts, 1.98 gaa.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm sure it'll be Ottawa.  Sure the Bruins record against them this and last season is heavily favoured for the Bruins but the last game they played (and won by shut out) against the Bruins the Sens played really hard and looked better.
    Tonight I'm sure they'll want to make a statement as they really aren't resting anyone except for starting Bishop in nets instead of Anderson.

Remember the Bruins troubles in the season against the Habs ? Bruins turned it around in the playoffs.  Beware of a hungry Sens team in the playoffs, forget about that crazy stat the last 2 seasons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Basically what I'm saying. Kelly says beware of the Sens in playoffs

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-bruins/bruins-talk/Kelly-Bruins-should-beware-of-the-Senato?blockID=683274&feedID=10944

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

I agree, Ottawa appears to be way more dangerous. But, it would also make for a better series to watch. If I have to watch Florida for 4 to 7 straight games there will be shards of glass all over my floor whare I smashed my beer bottles in bored frustration. It would be like watching paint dry and having every game go to OT only to have some Panther plug score on some lucky bounce. Ugh, I am already getting worked up.

I think the B's can go deep again but if they have to lose I want it to be a team I can appreciate, like Ottawa. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]Good point on the all the Ot's the Panthers have been involved in this year RHO. What makes me nervous about that is that once overtime starts it becomes a 50/50 game in which one shot will win it. The Panthers are seemingly made for this type of game. I would prefer the B's not have to go into a series with a team like that. Perhaps I just have nightmares about 1996 where a hodge-podge Panther team came out of nowhere with a goalie that was supposed to be washed up in Vanbiesbrouck (ring a bell?) and surprised their way to an unlikely cup final. The B's were the first victims. I can still taste the bitterness in my mouth....:)

I met that whole team after their practice. I was like 11 and wearing a HUGE Bruins shirt and a Panthers hat. The hat is now autographed and I have pictures of myself with a bunch of the players and I can't help but imagine that they all were thinking what the heck is this kid in a Bruins shirt doing here and why should I give him my autograph??

The backup goalie for that Panthers team was a real dick. Legit walked out of practice said I'm not signing autographs, shaking hands, or talking. Goodbye. And he drove away. What a jerk. Every single other player stopped and gave me an autograph. In some cases multiple autographs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Round: Ottawa or Florida? : I met that whole team after their practice. I was like 11 and wearing a HUGE Bruins shirt and a Panthers hat. The hat is now autographed and I have pictures of myself with a bunch of the players and I can't help but imagine that they all were thinking what the heck is this kid in a Bruins shirt doing here and why should I give him my autograph?? The backup goalie for that Panthers team was a real dick. Legit walked out of practice said I'm not signing autographs, shaking hands, or talking. Goodbye. And he drove away. What a jerk. Every single other player stopped and gave me an autograph. In some cases multiple autographs.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

Was that Fitzpatrick? Judging by his horrible carrer stats I would want to just go home too.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1692

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Haha YES that was him. Thank you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Anderson has a total of 6 playoff games in his career he is going to crumble.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

I not sure if Boston and Ottawa ever met in the playoffs? looking forwards to a new rival. Bst and Ott would be a more exciting series.Fld scares me cause they seem to know how to play that stubborn d fence hockey.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Ottawa. Boston has done terrible against the Southeast this season for some unknown reason. If not for that they would have been first in the league. The Northeast, on the otherhand, the Bruins have dominated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

For the love of God PLEASE let Ben Bishop tend the cage tonight....kid is a total scrub, and probably the most overrated UMaine goalie ever. I hated it when kids were idolizing his lanky a**.

Sections
Shortcuts