First time to Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

First time to Boston

Although I am a lifelong diehard bruins fan, the distance from where I live (Vancouver) has prevented me from ever going to Boston.  Well that is all about to change as I booked a trip there today for Jan. 9th to 13 and will get to see the Bruins play the Jets and Canadiens.  I am so excited to see the Bruins play in Boston but also look forward to checking out the city.  Any reccommendations on what to see in between games and hangovers?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from no1bruinsfan. Show no1bruinsfan's posts

Re: First time to Boston

I was there last week with my wife for just the day.  Was vacationing in Hew Hampshire from Canada. Went to a number of places but you need more than a day to enjoy this city. People were fantastic, extremely friendly. We went to the Quincy Market which was great. Would be like the granville markey in Vancouver. Had a few beers at Cheers. The bartender there was perfect for the job, great sense of humour and just a downright nice guy. Toured the Heritage trail etc etc. Boston is full of history and great places and things to do. Definitely going back and next time will be taking in a game or two.

In Response to First time to Boston:
    [QUOTE]Although I am a lifelong diehard bruins fan, the distance from where I live (Vancouver) has prevented me from ever going to Boston.  Well that is all about to change as I booked a trip there today for Jan. 9th to 13 and will get to see the Bruins play the Jets and Canadiens.  I am so excited to see the Bruins play in Boston but also look forward to checking out the city.  Any reccommendations on what to see in between games and hangovers?
    Posted by Rufus604[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hibachibbq3. Show hibachibbq3's posts

[QUOTE]Although I am a lifelong diehard bruins fan, the distance from where I live (Vancouver) has prevented me from ever going to Boston.  Well that is all about to change as I booked a trip there today for Jan. 9th to 13 and will get to see the Bruins play the Jets and Canadiens.  I am so excited to see the Bruins play in Boston but also look forward to checking out the city.  Any reccommendations on what to see in between games and hangovers?

First of all, it's gonna be freakin freezing when you're there, so keep that in mind.  (Yes, I realize many of you posters are from Canada, but cold is cold).  The first thing you have to do it go to halftime pizza before the game.  It's right across from the Garden on the corner of Causeway and Friend St, and there's always a line out the door on game nights - trick is to go in the side door on causeway st and you'll skip the entire line.  This is a must.  This is a tiny pizza shop that serves hot pizza and cold (and big) beers.   The show old-time hockey fights on TV before the game.  It's gonna be a spectacle before the Habs game, and I will definitely be in there.

Because it'll be so cold, that will prevent a lot of the touristy things from being open (Duck Tours, most of Faneiul Hall/Quincy Market, etc.) but there's still plenty to do.  Notwithstanding the advice above, skip Cheers, it's a tourist trap and there's really nothing to do around there. 

For escaping the cold, there's Museum of Science, which is real cool (and a 5 minute walk from the Garden, if you're staying in the neighborhood), plus it has an enormous IMAX with a 180 degree screen.  Its definitely worth checking out.  The Museum of Fine Arts (over by Fenway Park)just put on a $1million+ (US) addition, which is also fantastic and worth checking out. Fenway will probably have tours running as well, if you're into baseball, history, or both.

Also, you can't beat the North End for Italian Food.  I've been to the West Coast (albeit not Vancouver) and while there is great sushi, the Italian is lacking.  Go to the North End and go to Prezza (splurge) or Antico Forno (not as expensive) for good, authentic Italian.

I'd be more than happy to give you some more location-specific recommendations in the weeks and months ahead and when it gets closer to the time you're in town.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Good advice from hibachibbq3 --

...also, I believe several Bruins live in the North End, so you might see them around.

Lucic, right?

plus Shawn Thornton, I believe.

Any others?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hibachibbq3. Show hibachibbq3's posts

In Response to Re: First time to Boston:
    [QUOTE]Good advice from  hibachibbq3  -- ...also, I believe several Bruins live in the North End, so you might see them around. Lucic, right? plus Shawn Thornton, I believe. Any others?
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]

Lucic lives in PJ Axelson's old place in the North End, and Chara and Krecji live on the outskirts on the Waterfront on Battary Wharf and Liberty Wharf, respectively. I'm pretty sure Andrew Ferrence and Marchand do too (they took a pedicab together with the cup to the DVD premiere). 

Thorny lives across the river in Charlestown.

I'm totally not a stalker, but my girlfriend lives in the North End, so you run into these guys from time to time.  I ran into Marchand and his lady between Games 1 and 2 of the Habs series at Mike's Pastry in the North End (side note - definitely go here when you're in town) and NO ONE recognized him.  It's pretty ridiculous considering he's basically the king of Boston now.  Two months some hardware can really change things.

Here's the guys partying on Zee's roofdeck Thursday after they got in from Van: http://www.northendwaterfront.com/home/2011/6/16/boston-bruins-players-celebrate-the-stanley-cup-with-north-e.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

What are your non-hockey interests?

You like drinking, but drinking what?  I'll assume beer - I like amber beers and I never found any at the Boston Beerworks.  Altho there's loads of local brewery\pub places.  I like John Harvard's, but I don't know if there is one in Boston itself.

You might catch a play or something, I think the Wang theater is a dump so don't go there unless you get a good seat on the floor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Howdy. My wife & I live near Toronto and we went to Boston for the first time last March (watched them play the Pens on March 5). The Freedom Trail is a must, Harvard is a great tour, Fenway Park, Cheers...we enjoyed it all. A teriffic city. After visiting, I can understand why Boston is in the top five US tourism destinations. Have a good time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

* Will be cold and snowy but check out Fanuel Hall and part of the Freedom trail - just to say you did it, good history
    * Harvard Square - Trendy spot, interesting 
    * No real need to rent a car a public transportation and taxis will get you anywhere you want. Boston roads are a maze and you will get lost/frustrated.
    * Good beer - Sunset Grill - Best beer selection in town - Brookline/Brighton area - off the Green line B line - Next to/past BU
    * Good drinks - Drink in South Boston/Waterfront area - Best drinks in town
    * If you're older than 30, stay out of Fanuel Hall bars at night and away from bars around there. Stay on the outskirts of Fanuel as its college meathead galore down there. 
    * Check out the North End, tried almost every place and they're all really good. Pizza at Pizzeria Regina is real good, everyone swears by Mike's Pastry.
    * Lobster roll at the Long Warf Marriot is one of my favorites.
    * Seafood is good all around town - Take a cab to the No Name restaurant for no frills dining or check out Sol de la Terre for a more trendy place.
    * Do go to the Museum of Fine Arts - Good part of town just stay on the Boston side of the Green Line (other side is Roxbury down the road).
    * You could ski but East Coast skiing is icy most of the time and groomers others - very little powder unless you go to Jay Peak and January is bitter and cold here - I usually take Jan off.
    * Don't go on the Orange line unless you're using it for a cross over.
    * Skip Cheers - Crappy bar, no one cares what your name is
    * Skip the Boston Tea Party - There's nothing really there as they're building a museum.
    * Boston is pretty safe Downtown so don't worry too much about walking around at night. (i.e. stumbling back to your hotel is usually all right).

Hope this helps, have fun

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

I would suggest taking a tour at the Sam Adams brewery and grabbing a pizza at Santarpio's in East Boston. Best pizza in the city barnone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hibachibbq3. Show hibachibbq3's posts

Sam Adams Brewery is definitely worth doing, but getting  there goes against nrguy's Orange Line prohibition...

And I know how heated these pizza arguements can get, but that's a pretty bold statement calling Santarpio's the best in the city. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Skip the duck tour; don't rent a car -- walk and take the T, go up to Harvard (John Harvard's is a good drinking spot, or the Burren in Somerville); check out Fenway, the north end, and catch a Northeastern hockey game at the greatest/oldest rink in Boston - Matthews arena.

Have fun, eat some fried clams and lobster.

Do any of the locals know what happened to Tremont Ale?  Used to be a great local brew, but can't find it anymore...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

I don't know if you're into this, but along with the other suggestions of visiting the Museum of Science and the Museum of Fine Arts, I'd like to add the Isabella Gardner Museum to that list.  If you like Italian Renaissance, Dutch Masters, 19th century French art, illuminated manuscripts, etc., the Gardner museum is a nice take. 

As far as pregame pubs, my favorite is and has always been The Fours.  Also keep in mind that there is the Sports Museum within the Garden....enjoy your visit!

http://www.celebrateboston.com/museum/sports-museum.htm

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

Bill & Bobs Roast Beef

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I have been to Boston 3 times to see the Bruins over the years, always in March.  I saw them play twice at the old Boston Garden.  I saw them shut out the leafs (Neely and Janney scored) and I saw them whip Gretzky's kings (Juneau had his 1st NHL goal).  This year I saw them lose in a shoot-out to the leafs but it was a good game and the Bruins won the games that mattered.

The two games I saw a number of years ago were in early to mid March and it was freezing because of a wicked wind - with the wind chill it felt cold or colder than Toronto in March.  This year we were down at the end of March and it was good walking around weather - not too hot or cold.  Boston is an awesome city!!  We went to the Fenway Park Tour and it was definitely worth the price of admission.  I can't wait to get back to see the Bruins in Boston again, hopefully in the next year or two.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

enjoy things you never had at home like indoor bathroom running water and electricalicity lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Every time I go to Boston, I make sure I spend a day in the north end. It has great restaurants & lots of shopping especially at the already mentioned Faneuil Hall right downtown. Since you are going in January, it won't be the open concept that it is in spring, summer & fall, but worth checking out nonetheless. There is also the 3 story Galleria mall in Cambridge which is just a 5 minute subway ride away. Before the games, my personal favourite place to go is The Fours but there is also Sullivan's, Sports Grille Boston, Halftime Pizza & The Penalty Box all within a block of each other. You will have fun no matter where you go. I will be there for the first 2 games of the season & will see the the Stanley Cup Banner get raised to the rafters on opening night. Can't wait! Always a good time in Boston. Enjoy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

That depends on what you're into:
    Boston Beerworks is my every pregame stop for a meal and some good brew.
    Sullivans is where i stop for hard liquor.

The Freedom Trail is great for history, although it's a touch cold and sometimes damn too then.

Fanuel Hall is worth wandering over too.

The various museums: Science, Fine Arts, Childrens are cool. If you're going to spend most of your time in the downtown area, leave your car at the hotel (if you rent one) driving in Boston tends to upset folks from other areas, it has an above average Darwinian component. Buy yourself a Charlie card (subway &/or bus) for the week.

The Aquarium is a good place to kill 2-3 hours.

Oh yeah for nightlife hit up Jillians and that street (various dress codes) over by Fenway. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Married and want to ditch your wife without knowing you're gone ?
    Leave her on Newbury street with your credit card.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Take in a Hockey East game.
    Check out the venues that have live music. Paradise, House of Blues, Middle East.
    Cambridge (Harvard, MIT, etc) Bartleys Burger Cottage while you're there
    Seafood is a must.
    Go to the top of the Pru.
    Tour Fenway Park.
    Do not drive, if you do, I guarantee you will end up somewhere you won't recognize or know how to return from.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan1972. Show bruinsfan1972's posts

[QUOTE]enjoy things you never had at home like indoor bathroom running water and electricalicity lol
    Posted by Kanes-Donuts[/QUOTE]

You are right Toronto is a world class city with all the amenities but we don't have electricalicity and you likely don't have your high school diploma.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, Can't wait.  I know it will be bitterly cold, but I am prepared for that.  I am married but the wife is not coming, I am headed there with my old man.  He is also a diehard bruins fan and going to Boston with him is something I have always wanted to do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Hmm, if its just the guys and you are going to have a car... Alex's in Stoughton isn't the worst place you could spend a couple nights.

[QUOTE]Thanks for all the suggestions guys, Can't wait.  I know it will be bitterly cold, but I am prepared for that.  I am married but the wife is not coming, I am headed there with my old man.  He is also a diehard bruins fan and going to Boston with him is something I have always wanted to do.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donnymac78. Show donnymac78's posts

I'm from saskatchewan and my wife and I made our first trip to Boston March 2010 and it was an amazing trip.  Watched 2 Bruins games and 1 Celtics game.  Checked out the New England Sports Museum (at TD Garden), toured Fenway, ate at The Fours (order the Bobby Orr), checked out the Aquarium, had a drink at Cheers (just to say we did, and it wasnt bad - there were good people there), ate at Hard Rock, toured alot on one of the hop on hop off trolley tours.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Museums: Fine Arts, Science, New England Sports, Aquarium

Tour: Fenway Park, Trolly tours (if you want to do the tourist thing), too cold to do the Freedom Trail or Duck Boat Tour, outdoor skating on the Frog Pond in Boston Common

Food: Lots of good pubs right by the TD Garden and Fenway Park, North End is FULL of great restaurants, definitely get seafood while here (Union Oyster House is famous but I like Legal Seafoods and a few others), pizza (Santapio's or Pizzeria Regina)

Nightlife: House of Blues, Jillian's, King's....and catching a Hockey East (Boston College, Boston University or Northeastern University) or Harvard game is great idea as well!!

Shopping: Faneuil Hall, Newbury St, Harvard Sq and Cambridgeside Galleria

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

When you get in, hit the top of the Prudential Building adjacent to Copley Square so you get a lay of the land. Cost a few bucks, but the panorama of the city is excellent and there is good information on the different neighborhoods/sites.

I love this forum. Seriously. As soon as I read suggestions like Sunset Grill out in Allston or the Burren in Davis Square, you know you are among friends.

I second the notion that you should catch a Hockey East game, especially if coming with your father and hockey is the main reason for the trip. Check out BU, BC, Harvard and Northeastern schedules and see what's going on. Bets rink experience would be at BU, which you can couple with a Fenway Park tour while in the area, although you can't go wrong with any. I require that you go see the Maine Black Bears if they are in town...naturally, given their status as the best college team (insert friendly ribbing here).

Quincy Market and North End for dinner will be good stops. Grab the outbound Red Line and enjoy great food and entertainment all the way out....Harvard and Davis Square (Tufts Univ.) are my favorite stops for food, music and good product for your dime. Avoid chain restaurants or the more famous places....tripadvisor.com usually has it right. Bring your skates and hit Frog Pond at Boston Common for some outdoor skating.

Have fun!