Fix the mistakes, win Game 5

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: Fix the mistakes, win Game 2

I thought that the forwards played hard and there were times when the puck didn't leave the Tampa Bay zone for entire shifts. I don't know what the time-of-possession stats were but I think we held our own. The big problem with the offense, aside from our wretched PP, was that we didn't get most of the shots on net and occasionally we overpassed.
     As for the defense, on goal # 1 Seidenberg turns it over on a blind back-pass and then loses his stick and proceeds to kick the puck right to a TB forward. On the 2nd goal Ference gets blown-by and Thomas gives up a soft goal. As for the 3rd, I haven't figured out what good Kaberle is but his turnover here was catastrophic. I'm not sure what you can do about our defense because aside from Chara they are all very mediocre. 
     The final remedy has to be getting Bergeron back in the lineup. It seemed we lost critical faceoff after critical faceoff. I'm hoping for a better effort tuesday night---anything less and we'll be digging ourselves a hole that might not be as easy to get out of as it was with Montreal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to Re: Fix the mistakes, win Game 2:
    In Response to Re: Fix the mistakes, win Game 2 : No offense taken...the big problem with benching Kaberle is that it would be an admission of failure by PC.  I don't think he is ready to do that just yet, these aren't desperate times. I am shocked by how few puck battles Kaberle is involved in - never mind wins - most times he doesn't even try.  Certainly not Bruins material in my book. 
    Posted by hangnail

hang i have been killing kaberle over the last month and i have been told be other posters that this would be his best series of the playoffs.i really felt last night his play wasnt that bad. now the goal was an abortion by both seidenberg and kaberle.also the puck battle thing i have just come to expect from kaberle. so i dont think it is charelli not wanting to admit he was wrong as much as there is not a suitable backup right now. for those wanting the sheriff im surprised cause what little i have seen of him has not been good at all and kampfer is still hurt so as much as i cant even stand tomas there isnt abetter option right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: Fix the mistakes, win Game 2 : hang i have been killing kaberle over the last month and i have been told be other posters that this would be his best series of the playoffs.i really felt last night his play wasnt that bad. now the goal was an abortion by both seidenberg and kaberle.also the puck battle thing i have just come to expect from kaberle. so i dont think it is charelli not wanting to admit he was wrong as much as there is not a suitable backup right now. for those wanting the sheriff im surprised cause what little i have seen of him has not been good at all and kampfer is still hurt so as much as i cant even stand tomas there isnt abetter option right now.
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold

Good points LBG.  Someone on another thread mentioned it might be worth dressing 7 D and dumping Thornton.  This may make sense because you're right, Kaberle is useful in some situations - but he isn't the guy I want out there trying to protect a lead, or late third period in a tie game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pictureguy. Show Pictureguy's posts

There was too much talk about the Bruins having to adjust to Tampa's system .

Boston needs to go out and play Bruins hockey and force Tampa to have to adjust to them.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

There was too much talk about the Bruins having to adjust to Tampa's system . Boston needs to go out and play Bruins hockey and force Tampa to have to adjust to them.
    Posted by Pictureguy

In order for for that to happen, Boston has to first get the lead.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to Re: Fix the mistakes, win Game 2 : In order for for that to happen, Boston has to first get the lead.
    Posted by dezaruchi

good call dez traffic and the lead will give the bruins a much better chance of winning game 2. game 1 did have a Montreal feel to it. i thought Boston's best chances were when the game was 0-0 after they got the lead that's when Tampa clogged up the neutral zone and it was tougher for Boston to get scoring chances. another mistake to fix is getting line 2 to be effective. bergeron not being there is obliviously huge but marchand and recchi are better then that. both had 17 mins plus + of ice time and it was very quiet 17 mins which is fixable. lastly and all of our favorites the power play. i don't believe for a minute that this series can be won without scoring on the power play. the bruins cant just keep beating the odds,this will catch up with them this series. so these 2 days off should be spent working the pp and if that means taking kaberle off it, then they have to do it. i don't want to spend the summer taking about the reason this team didn't make the cup finals was because of special teams. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Fix the mistakes, win Game 5

Dammit Claude, fix it again.  B's will win the next 2.  They are the better team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Fix the mistakes, win Game 5:
    Dammit Claude, fix it again.  B's will win the next 2.  They are the better team.
    Posted by hangnail

End of story.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Posted by hangnail

my thoughts exactly.Correct the errors and get back at it, and TT, stay in your net.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Tampa capitalizes when they are in close with an open look the Bruins sometimes don't put the biscuit in the basket when it counts. I thought Smith got lucky with the toe save that almost made it 4-4 near the end of the game. The Bruins have gotten to Roloson I don't care what anyone says he was disheveled on the bench after getting yanked Boucher is going to start Dwayne on Monday.

Oh and Peverley is being wasted on the 4th line plus Tampa is starting to get BANG ed up this is good with the series moving to a 3 game series now keep that in mind they had 10 forwards left in the 3rd.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

Tampa capitalizes when they are in close with an open look the Bruins sometimes don't put the biscuit in the basket when it counts. I thought Smith got lucky with the toe save that almost made it 4-4 near the end of the game. The Bruins have gotten to Roloson I don't care what anyone says he was disheveled on the bench after getting yanked Boucher is going to start Dwayne on Monday. Oh and Peverley is being wasted on the 4th line plus Tampa is starting to get BANG ed up this is good with the series moving to a 3 game series now keep that in mind they had 10 forwards left in the 3rd.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

i hope he does start smith instead of roloson cause i think the bruins can get to him. its win win either way. the bruins have chased roloson twice and if they do manage to get to smith it will start a philly type problem. i agree a little bit san about peverley only cause he is not getting enough ice time but i thought the 4th line had a good game today. the only counter i have for peverley being fine on 4th line is he may be the most snakebitten player i have seen in a long time as far as scoring goals is concerned.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Boucher would be foolish not to start Smith on Monday IMO.  B's just have to stick to their plan and they'll be fine, although I hate to think that another goalie may get in their heads.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to Re: Fix the mistakes, win Game 2 : Good points LBG.  Someone on another thread mentioned it might be worth dressing 7 D and dumping Thornton.  This may make sense because you're right, Kaberle is useful in some situations - but he isn't the guy I want out there trying to protect a lead, or late third period in a tie game.
    Posted by hangnail

hang i know we have gone back and fourth on kaberle. the last 2 games i thought he was out of the woods. i ate some crow and admitted it but watching bergenheim absolutely dish-rag tomas for the second goal was alittle unnerving but i still think he can play good enough to not entertain dressing 7th d-man. im just worried that your going to see the lightning now dump the 1-3-1 and just send 2 for-checkers every time. that is the bruins weakness but the bruins have done better with dealing with heavy fourcheck since game 3 in Montreal. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: Fix the mistakes, win Game 2 : hang i know we have gone back and fourth on kaberle. the last 2 games i thought he was out of the woods. i ate some crow and admitted it but watching bergenheim absolutely dish-rag tomas for the second goal was alittle unnerving but i still think he can play good enough to not entertain dressing 7th d-man. im just worried that your going to see the lightning now dump the 1-3-1 and just send 2 for-checkers every time. that is the bruins weakness but the bruins have done better with dealing with heavy fourcheck since game 3 in Montreal. 
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold

Kaberle is what he is, and you're right he played ok the last 2 games - today not so much.  He never wins puck battles so I agree a 2 man forecheck would be a good plan for TB.  He is brutal on the wall.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Kaberle is just bad.

As bad as he was, at least Wideman battled for pucks..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

For whatever the reason, the Bruins seemed to lose their focus from the second period onwards.  Perhaps they thought the game was won and didn't need to expend the same effort that got them to the lead.  Doug Maclean was on THE FAN 590 this week talking about this very topic of teams giving up sizable leads. 

He said in his experience, the players often don't realize they have eased up in their play.  All they see is the lead.  He said it's tough for the players to collectively switch themselves back into the gear that got them the lead once they've allowed the other team to psycologically get their second wind after having them down regardless of how loud the coach may be shouting. 

Maclean said once that happens, it's tough to stem the tide.  We may have seen this today.  I'm not excusing the Bruins for their loss or Julien for perhaps not calling a TO to try and settle down the frazzled B's.  Just passing along something I heard.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

For whatever the reason, the Bruins seemed to lose their focus from the second period onwards.  Perhaps they thought the game was won and didn't need to expend the same effort that got them to the lead.  Doug Maclean was on THE FAN 590 this week talking about this very topic of teams giving up sizable leads.  He said in his experience, the players often don't realize they have eased up in their play.  All they see is the lead.  He said it's tough for the players to collectively switch themselves back into the gear that got them the lead once they've allowed the other team to psycologically get their second wind after having them down regardless of how loud the coach may be shouting.  Maclean said once that happens, it's tough to stem the tide.  We may have seen this today.  I'm not excusing the Bruins for their loss or Julien for perhaps not calling a TO to try and settle down the frazzled B's.  Just passing along something I heard.
    Posted by RichHillOntario

I think there's a lot to that.  The 3- 0 lead just seems too comfortable.  But a 3 - 0 lead with 10 minutes to play is a lot different than a 3 - 0 lead with 50 minutes to play.  You can't take your foot off the gas.  And they did.  When TB made it 3 - 1, I felt the next goal was HUGE.  Unfortunately, it wasn't the Bruins that scored the next goal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Fix the mistakes, win Game 5 : I think there's a lot to that.  The 3- 0 lead just seems too comfortable.  But a 3 - 0 lead with 10 minutes to play is a lot different than a 3 - 0 lead with 50 minutes to play.  You can't take your foot off the gas.  And they did.  When TB made it 3 - 1, I felt the next goal was HUGE.  Unfortunately, it wasn't the Bruins that scored the next goal.
    Posted by jalvis

jalvis - Exactly.  I don't know about you but when the Bruins got a first period lead as they did today, I wished the intermission wouldn't have come.  I didn't want them to have time to think they had the game in the bag. 

I felt good they were up as they were and performing in a manner that suggested a carry-over in form from Game 3 but in the back of my mind entering the second period was a fear they would let up.  We all saw them allow TB to wrestle the game from their loosened grip. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Kaberle is just bad. As bad as he was, at least Wideman battled for pucks..
    Posted by bim09

The only goal you can question Kaberle on was totally Krejci's fault. Kaberle pinched off his man expecting DK to come for the puck. Instead DK peeled off.Kaberle's playoff ppg is only slightly under his career average. What exactly were you expecting of him?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

GO BRUINS!!! WE MADE IT THIS FAR, CANT GIVE UP NOW

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

For whatever the reason, the Bruins seemed to lose their focus from the second period onwards.  Perhaps they thought the game was won and didn't need to expend the same effort that got them to the lead.  Doug Maclean was on THE FAN 590 this week talking about this very topic of teams giving up sizable leads.  He said in his experience, the players often don't realize they have eased up in their play.  All they see is the lead.  He said it's tough for the players to collectively switch themselves back into the gear that got them the lead once they've allowed the other team to psycologically get their second wind after having them down regardless of how loud the coach may be shouting.  Maclean said once that happens, it's tough to stem the tide.  We may have seen this today.  I'm not excusing the Bruins for their loss or Julien for perhaps not calling a TO to try and settle down the frazzled B's.  Just passing along something I heard.
    Posted by RichHillOntario

That's a god point RHO.  I think the B's were way too comfortable with the 3 goal lead, especially in light of TT's shutout in the prior game.  It's human nature I guess.  Give TB credit though, they are a good team (but beatable!).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Fix the mistakes, win Game 5 : That's a god point RHO.  I think the B's were way too comfortable with the 3 goal lead, especially in light of TT's shutout in the prior game.  It's human nature I guess.  Give TB credit though, they are a good team (but beatable!).
    Posted by hangnail

hang - Key word being "beatable."  The Bruins have chased their starter in 2 of the 4 games but have only been able to take full advantage in one of them.  The series is a draw right now but it aside from Game 1, the club has had the edge in play in Game 2, 3 and unfortunately only yesterday's first period. 

You're right.  Absolute full props to TB as they're one hell of a dangerous team but it seems only when the Bruins, themselves, are generous in their play and let the Lightning up off the mat does TB get their edge. 

Sections
Shortcuts