Flames @ Nucks last night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Flames @ Nucks last night

All out brawl at opening puck drop. Torts blaiming Hartley for starting 4th line. Blows another gasket and winds up approaching Flames locker room after game. Mixed opinions on NBC game today from Milbury and JR. Milbury says Torts had no choice so not to risk his skilled players. JR says put out the top line and burn them.

Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Flames @ Nucks last night

In response to zamboni24's comment:

All out brawl at opening puck drop. Torts blaiming Hartley for starting 4th line. Blows another gasket and winds up approaching Flames locker room after game. Mixed opinions on NBC game today from Milbury and JR. Milbury says Torts had no choice so not to risk his skilled players. JR says put out the top line and burn them.

Any thoughts?

I put this in the "around the league" thread, but since you asked. 

Torts will...or should be suspended. I agree with his counter of his starting lineup 100% & to his explaination of it in his interview, but you can't take things off the ice. If Torts had his players being "undiciplined" & taking bad penalties. What would he do to that player, or say about him? He needs to show composure, restraint & yes discipline from going after the Flames coaching staff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Any thoughts?

Crazy game. I watched it live and knew there was going to be trouble when I saw Bieksa taking the draw.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Lately I have been wondering what is up with the Nucks.. Past three or four games racking up penalty minutes against Anaheim, LA , and last night against Calgary... The thing is they don't have a tough team to play that style and looks to me they still trying to overcome the reputation they got from the SC Finals with the B's.....I don't get it...

Last night though I blame Hartley... he has been known for this for awhile...when you pick up Wetgarth, McGratton, two cement heads who can't play hockey what do you expect... Brian Burke finally assembling his testosterone,truculent team he has long desired.... Good luck with that......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Any thoughts?

Crazy game. I watched it live and knew there was going to be trouble when I saw Bieksa taking the draw.

you still out west old boy?   Hope things are well. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Any thoughts?

Thought that was a bit of a puzz move to take the draw, bail on Westgarth but go hunt Smid.  I like typically like Bieska, but that was weak.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Any thoughts?

I put this in the "around the league" thread, but since you asked. 

Torts will...or should be suspended. I agree with his counter of his starting lineup 100% & to his explaination of it in his interview, but you can't take things off the ice. If Torts had his players being "undiciplined" & taking bad penalties. What would he do to that player, or say about him? He needs to show composure, restraint & yes discipline from going after the Flames coaching staff.

Sorry guy -- usually check there 1st. Will flop over -- curious to see what others posted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

PJ Stock and co offer a different view .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYg7t3I5gH0

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Any thoughts?

Thought that was a bit of a puzz move to take the draw, bail on Westgarth but go hunt Smid.  I like typically like Bieska, but that was weak.

Bieksa has done this in the past, he's not a heavyweight though and Westgarth is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:

PJ Stock and co offer a different view .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYg7t3I5gH0

I tend to agree with here with P.J. I think if Torts puts his first line out there nothing happens. I highly doubt McGratton jumps Sedin. Hartley put the bait/invitation out there and Torts accepted it. This was the end result.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Anyone following Gammons' moaning about this showing hockey is a "minor" sport?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Anyone following Gammons' moaning about this showing hockey is a "minor" sport?

Didn't read exactly what Ol' Petey had to say but noticed Mike Commodore and a few others having a twitterfest disagreeing with Gammon's comments. I noticed Gammon's didn't say anything about baseballs steroid infested,stats tainted,mound charging basebrawls at all, funny how that is.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

While reading the comment sections about the game on some of the other sports sites (TSN,CBC etc.) i noticed that Nucks fans have changed their tune on the rough stuff. The Nucks penalty parade on their west coast road trip, which was topped off by Saturday nights grand finale is all of a sudden ok in their books and all is right in the world as long as its their beloved Nucks who are doling out the punishment, how times have changed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Too true, 50.  One of those sad realities of human nature: we will find a way to interpret reality so that it suits what we believe to be true.  For Canuck fans, more than any other fan base I've ever witnessed, their team has done nothing wrong since before the Bure era.  Everything they've done has been either straight-from-the-temple doctrine of the beautiful game on ice or a perfectly rational and legitimate response to having been wronged.  I haven't gone through the comments pages at all, but I can almost guarantee that some caknucklehhead fan is saying that the NHL all but told the Canucks that this was how they had to play if they wanted to win when they let the Bruins get away with mugging the Canucks in 2011.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Yes, let's blame Hartley for the whole incident. He is a villian who's known for this type of hockey.

P.S. Tortorella ?  How soon people forget.

Does anyone recall the NYR-NJD line brawl to start a 2012 game ?  Hartley wasn't there coaching but the "Hot Head" was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MFRpipkQu8

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

A Coach must coach for the entire 60 minutes - there are no untactical shifts. Anytime the home team (with the last change) gives you their 4th Line (first) it's a gift. Tortarella took the bait and was outcoached by Hartley before the puck was even dropped. He should have put the Sedins out there to hem that 4th Line in and perhaps score an early first goal. Advantage Tortarella. THAT's called 'coaching'.

I think that's what Tortarella was most angry about. Page One of the Coaches Handbook says, eliminate personal pride and ego - and certainly decisons based on crowd-pleasing (see: 'Pride and ego') - from your playbook. They are at best counter-productive at worst, useless.

Tortarella will be fined, but the punishment of knowing that his hockey mind is weak - his hubris and temper are easily exploited, he takes his eye off the puck, He is too easily manipulated - probably hurts more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I've posted before that I think the Coaches in the league need to be penalized for their actions. My point was that they have as much to do with the fighting and catastrophic injuries as anyone. I am not saying that they tell guys to deliberately injury a guy in such and such a way, but they definitely persuade marginal player to play 'tough' over the top hockey. If that means the guy has to 'run over' another player, so be it. 

Bob Hartley has proven this to me once again. His line-up was sent out to put a hurting on the other team. His Centerman didn't even look at the puck on the face-off. His first action was to mug the Vancouver center. 

It would be impossible to determine how much the coach is responsible for any given situation, and he is allowed to put whoever he wants on the ie at a given time, but to summarily say that they have nothing to do with fighting and injuries is a crock of shiite.

In sticking up for his players, Torts will get penalized, and that is a shame. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

A Coach must coach for the entire 60 minutes - there are no untactical shifts. Anytime the home team (with the last change) gives you their 4th Line (first) it's a gift. Tortarella took the bait and was outcoached by Hartley before the puck was even dropped. He should have put the Sedins out there to hem that 4th Line in and perhaps score an early first goal. Advantage Tortarella. THAT's called 'coaching'.

I think that's what Tortarella was most angry about. Page One of the Coaches Handbook says, eliminate personal pride and ego - and certainly decisons based on crowd-pleasing (see: 'Pride and ego') - from your playbook. They are at best counter-productive at worst, useless.

Tortarella will be fined, but the punishment of knowing that his hockey mind is weak - his hubris and temper are easily exploited, he takes his eye off the puck, He is too easily manipulated - probably hurts more.

What a load of craaaap. He didn't send his #1 line out because they would have been mugged. I think that is GREAT coaching. 

And show me the "Coaches Handbook" that says that, or did you make that up to support your lame and lazy opinion?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

What a load of craaaap. He didn't send his #1 line out because they would have been mugged. I think that is GREAT coaching. 

And show me the "Coaches Handbook" that says that, or did you make that up to support your lame and lazy opinion?

Maybe not in the handbook, but basic common sense.

But yeah, Perry, I believe it was the best move.  He was between a rock and a hard place.  If he'd put the Sedins out and one was injured, he would have been totally skewered in Vancouver.  I think he did what he had to do there.

The other stuff he could have done without.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[/QUOTE]

Do you really think McGrattan & Westgarth would have started pounding away on the Sedins? Now that would have really looked like a goon show and Hartley would have looked pretty stupid for sending them out to do that.I think nothing would have happened if the Nucks 1st line was out and even if something did happen, can't grown men take care of themselves? I've seen Bergeron,Krejci,Marchand,M.Savard and many other B's that weren't known for their fisticuffs drop them when needed, it's time maybe that Thelma and Louise showed their team they have some Herring in their blood! Even though i don't believe anything would have happened if the Sedin line was out anyway, Torts is at fault imo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Do you really think McGrattan & Westgarth would have started pounding away on the Sedins? Now that would have really looked like a goon show and Hartley would have looked pretty stupid for sending them out to do that.I think nothing would have happened if the Nucks 1st line was out and even if something did happen, can't grown men take care of themselves? I've seen Bergeron,Krejci,Marchand,M.Savard and many other B's that weren't known for their fisticuffs drop them when needed, it's time maybe that Thelma and Louise showed their team they have some Herring in their blood! Even though i don't believe anything would have happened if the Sedin line was out anyway, Torts is at fault imo.

I don't know, but if it's me, I can't take that chance. 

I was thinking about this later, and maybe if he puts his smallest players out there, a new line of smallish / non-tough guys, does that defuse the whole thing. Because then it would make Hartley look really bad. No way do the Enforcers of Calgary start fighting with them. This line doesn't fight back in anyway, but totally turtles. It might be taken as guttless, but would ultimately destroy Bob's plan.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

I don't know, but if it's me, I can't take that chance. 

I was thinking about this later, and maybe if he puts his smallest players out there, a new line of smallish / non-tough guys, does that defuse the whole thing. Because then it would make Hartley look really bad. No way do the Enforcers of Calgary start fighting with them. This line doesn't fight back in anyway, but totally turtles. It might be taken as guttless, but would ultimately destroy Bob's plan.

Me neither.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Kerry Fraser had a very interesting solution to prevent this from happening. Too bad Bettman has it out for Kerry. I think he'd be a great leader for the officals & hold them better accountable for their actions, or lackthereof.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441637

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Where do you come up with this stuff?  And why do you only come out after a fight or an incident involving a fight.  Torts may not be one of my favorites but the man has a stanley cup on his resume.  Somewhere in this coaches handbook it must say winning a stanley cup is a good thing.  

Where do you come up with this stuff?  And why do you only come out after a fight or an incident involving a fight.  Torts may not be one of my favorites but the man has a stanley cup on his resume.  Somewhere in this coaches handbook it must say winning a stanley cup is a good thing.  

[/QUOTE]

Cheers Shupe! But, put the dick on ignore & you won't have to read his garbage. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts