Flames Draft A Dwarf?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf?

i skated with Crosby the year he got drafted.  his legs are the biggest legs i have ever seen.  Gerbe is a little tank as well.  His brother played at UNB the year I left and he was a thick little dude. 
    No doubt smaller players can make it.  But they really need to show a difference b/c when it comes down to it there are very few 5'5 players in the league and there are numerous players over 6'(majority). 
    I think Gerbe is a fantastic little player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Ya know what? As I'm reading thru this thread. Watching Video's from other threads & what have you. I came back to this thread because I got to thinking. Dan Paille certainly isn't a big guy! However; I wasn't quite sure how "small" he is! Did I ever get a punch in the face when I looked it up to see this guy is 6 1" 200 lbs! I couldn't believe it! As I watched the video's & saw him laying the body quite often & quite heavily. My plan was to come on here & say even the light & little guys can pack a whollop with a hit & use Paille as my argument! Well; that point is now moot!

The other thing I realized moreso in finding out this information? The B's are much larger than I even gave them credit for! If you watch the video's where Paille is in a team celebration huddle? HE LOOKS TINY as HElL!  So; I'm glad I took the time to check out my facts on this one; because the "never judge a book by it's cover" line certainly applied here!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : I played against Andrew in AAA Midget & he was bantam age! Bugger lit me up like a Christmas tree! Yea he was somebody that everyone thought could make it big! I thought so too.  
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    Nite, I'm sure you and I had to have played against each other too then. Yeah, McKim had world-class skills but his big mouth didn't help.After being passed over in his draft year, he openly questioned the legitimacy of central scouting which led to his being passed over the next 2 seasons also. It's a shame for him that things didn't work out. I still remember his 1st NHL game against Hartford. McKim picked up the puck in his own end and went through the entire team before roofing it at the other end. It's too bad he suffered the broken jaw as he really could have had a shot at sticking with the Bruins. Such is life.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : Nite, I'm sure you and I had to have played against each other too then. Yeah, McKim had world-class skills but his big mouth didn't help.After being passed over in his draft year, he openly questioned the legitimacy of central scouting which led to his being passed over the next 2 seasons also. It's a shame for him that things didn't work out. I still remember his 1st NHL game against Hartford. McKim picked up the puck in his own end and went through the entire team before roofing it at the other end. It's too bad he suffered the broken jaw as he really could have had a shot at sticking with the Bruins. Such is life.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yea; we probably did! We lost in the finals in the Atlantic Championship in 85'. We did alright for a team in it's first yr in the AAA league!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : Yea; we probably did! We lost in the finals in the Atlantic Championship in 85'. We did alright for a team in it's first yr in the AAA league!
    I was actually playing for KVHS that season. That was quite a midget league at the time though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ok, I gotta jump in here.  Dez I think you are a few yrs younger than I am.  Did you guys play against the South Shore Mustangs?  Dartmouth always had a strong team

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : I was actually playing for KVHS that season. That was quite a midget league at the time though.

Yea it was. Dez did you play any Midget in Kennebecasis? In 84' I played Midget A'.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, I gotta jump in here.  Dez I think you are a few yrs younger than I am.  Did you guys play against the South Shore Mustangs?  Dartmouth always had a strong team
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Don't know if it was the Mustangs or not Shupe; but I played on a bantam team that beat a team from Dartmouth for the Purlator Cup in 83'.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : Don't know if it was the Mustangs or not Shupe; but I played on a bantam team that beat a team from Dartmouth for the Purlator Cup in 83'.
    small world b/c my team (which included Murray) lost to Dartmouth in double OT.  I hated them.  Glad you beat them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : Yea it was. Dez did you play any Midget in Kennebecasis? In 84' I played Midget A'.
    Nope, I went from Bantam to playing High School for Kennebecasis.As a bantam, I played a couple of games for the Midget Pepsis(Don Sweeney played the year before I did) but I wasn't able to stick for the whole season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : Nope, I went from Bantam to playing High School for Kennebecasis.As a bantam, I played a couple of games for the Midget Pepsis(Don Sweeney played the year before I did) but I wasn't able to stick for the whole season.

Who did Don stay with? His parents still live in St. Stephen no?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : yeah i played against the maine black bears.  but this was back in the mid 90's(man where does time go). paul kariyas brother was there.  who wasnt a big guy but had unreal speed and hands.  maine sold out that game, I remember UNH as well.  What an environment for hockey.  They threw sharks on the ice after a goal.   

Yea martin and steve weren't as good as paul but very good players none the less. I Have been going to umaine games sine I was 3 maybe I saw you play and didn't know it back in the day haha. If you would have gotten to play umaine during the 92-93 season that was probably the best NCAA team of all time for a single season. No offense but I wouldnt have been surprised if that team scored 10 or more on UNB that year iif they played.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : Yea martin and steve weren't as good as paul but very good players none the less. I Have been going to umaine games sine I was 3 maybe I saw you play and didn't know it back in the day haha. If you would have gotten to play umaine during the 92-93 season that was probably the best NCAA team of all time for a single season. No offense but I wouldnt have been surprised if that team scored 10 or more on UNB that year iif they played.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

my 1st year was 93-94 and trust me.  UMaine was still very good.  Played against Mike Grier in Boston and he was so good.  Just a mac-truck on skates.  Our team was always rated #1 in Canada at some point so we didnt get blown away.  My 97-98 won the Nationals and we beat a lot of the NCAA teams that year.  UNH was the best team I have ever played against and they only beat us 4-2.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : Who did Don stay with? His parents still live in St. Stephen no?
    He used to travel down to play. Saint John had the closest Midget AAA program to St. Stephen(about 80 min). The mega-scout J.P. Barry also played for the Pepsis.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : He used to travel down to play. Saint John had the closest Midget AAA program to St. Stephen(about 80 min). The mega-scout J.P. Barry also played for the Pepsis.

I played a lot of games in St. Stephen while I played for NBCC St. Andrews.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flames Draft A Dwarf? : my 1st year was 93-94 and trust me.  UMaine was still very good.  Played against Mike Grier in Boston and he was so good.  Just a mac-truck on skates.  Our team was always rated #1 in Canada at some point so we didnt get blown away.  My 97-98 won the Nationals and we beat a lot of the NCAA teams that year.  UNH was the best team I have ever played against and they only beat us 4-2.

Good stuff! But UNH couldnt have been the best team you ever played? We maine fans call UNH the University of No Hardware they never win it all always choke. That 92-93 maine team went 42-1-2 true powerhouse Paul Kariya led the nation in scoring as an 18 year old him and his linemate Jim Montgomery were magic to watch play together. Maine goalies were Garth Snow and Mike Dunham. The good ol days to bad shawn walsh died the coach who took over for him has run the program into the ground. Tim Whitehead did good his first 4 years makeing some frozen 4s but with no more walsh recruits he has run the program into the ground. Whitehead needs to be canned asap he had a loaded team last year and in all polls 7th or better in the nation before the season and still couldnt make NCAA's. Has university of New Brunswick had any nhl players?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

The fans from UNB were also very pleasent spoke with a bunch of them 2 years ago they loved the alfond

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Funny you mention it LUCIC, I was just thinking that Jim Montgomery was another great example of a really little guy who tore it up in college, but never really caught on in the pros.  That Maine team was sick.  Didn't they have the Ferraro brothers too?  Mike Dunham AND Garth Snow in net?  Montgomery, Kariya, and who was they other guy on that overwhelming 1st line?

I remember going to the 1993 Hockey East championship in the old Garden.  I believe UNH and Lowell played the consolation game and BU-Maine played for the championship.  Maine had too much for BU.  Some Maine 3rd liner suckered David Sacco into 10-minute misconducts in the 1st period and BU never got going.  Sacco actually threw a jab at him in the handshake line, which I had never seen before.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Brian Gionta is as small as they come. And he gives Chara fits. Chara, like Felger says on the radio, plays better against bigger guys that can't run away, like the Sedin sisters.
    So it's all about the heart when it comes to smaller guys.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's also about playing to your strengths.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Brian Gionta is as small as they come. And he gives Chara fits. Chara, like Felger says on the radio, plays better against bigger guys that can't run away, like the Sedin sisters. So it's all about the heart when it comes to smaller guys.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash[/QUOTE]
    Gionta has an inch and 36 pounds on Gaudreau.BTW, I wouldn't cite Felger as evidence of anything.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I'd just like to add that the title of this thread is funny.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    I'm glad since that was my intent. Too often when I intend to be funny it ends up being insulting so I'm glad it worked out OK this time............