Flames give O'Reiily Offer Sheet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Flames give O'Reiily Offer Sheet

Say what you want about Burke & maybe Feaster did the same, but Burke notified PC & told him he was going to go after Kessel, which seemed to help make the trade route a better possibility. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Say what you want about Burke & maybe Feaster did the same, but Burke notified PC & told him he was going to go after Kessel, which seemed to help make the trade route a better possibility. Thoughts?

Burke didn't have much of a choice after he critcized Kevin Lowe for signing Dustin Penner to an offer sheet years earlier.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Just watching hockey central and they said if calgary would have signed him he would have had to clear waivers bc he played 2 gms in the KHL.   Wow did the Avs do calgary a monster favor.   again, why was there a lockout.  Did the owners find new ways to beat their cba.  Unreal.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just watching hockey central and they said if calgary would have signed him he would have had to clear waivers bc he played 2 gms in the KHL.   Wow did the Avs do calgary a monster favor.   again, why was there a lockout.  Did the owners find new ways to beat their cba.  Unreal.  

Shupe, just heard that as well, unbelievable really.. Don't think that OReilly would have got past Columbus.. PLUS , they would have lost a 1st and 3rd pick as well .. talk about doing your homework.. If I am the owner, I walk into Feaster's office and fire him on the spot.. This could have been a disaster...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Im not sure how feaster still has a job.  Hes brutal.  Calgary deserves better then that guy.  the flames are already a bad team.  That would have set them back yrs.  they potentially could get number 1 overall.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sounds like Feaster didn't do his homework, or he was trying to screw a divisional rival. Think about it  - if the Avs never matched, he goes to waivers, Columbus or Washington grab him. Avs lose a good young player and it doesn't cost Calgary a dime.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

I guess he would have ended up in Columbus, Florida, Buffalo or Washington.  Im sure columbus would have taken him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Sounds like Feaster didn't do his homework, or he was trying to screw a divisional rival. Think about it  - if the Avs never matched, he goes to waivers, Columbus or Washington grab him. Avs lose a good young player and it doesn't cost Calgary a dime.

Wrong. It costs them their 1st and 3rd round pick.  Huge loss.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

I personally like the offer sheet it allows players to be in the driver seat in regards to their career. Otherwise, he would have been forced to sign an average contract with the avs instead he got a contract he felt he deserved and other gms in the league thought he was worth. Look at Matt duchene as someone mentioned he is vastly underpaid and still a rfa in 14/15. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Even on waivers? Wow, then Feaster's an idiot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Even on waivers? Wow, then Feaster's an idiot.

Yep....CGY just dodged a major bullet there. Feaster is an idiot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I guess maybe we jumped on Feaster a little to harshly...

I just heard an interview with Pat Morris who is O'Reilly's agent and I was shocked to hear him say " We had multiple teams submit offer sheets"

So, at face value it seems that a bunch of GM's didn't know about this provision in the  CBA on offer sheets ... Unless, he is just trying to protect Feaster... Really unbelievable..

If I was Calgary owner though I would hire Brian Burke to run that organization.. Feaster has to go..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

cowboy,

why Burke, so he can trade is Iggy and a 1st round pick for ST

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

A staggering level of incompetence with this situation on all sides.

I've seen more sensible and better researched transactions take place at my fantasty hockey draft after 10 beers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

Could Colorado have not matched, taken the pics, and then got him on waivers?  That would have been fantastic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

cowboy,

why Burke, so he can trade is Iggy and a 1st round pick for ST

LOL.. you know what Shupe, I think it is a shame that Burke is not around to reap the rewards of some of his moves.. look where the team is right now.. He always wanted to make the playoffs and I think the Leafs will be there this year.... He's not there because new ownership didn't like him personally  , and some off ice indiscretions lets just say that .. Yes, he made some bad calls, but what GM hasn't .. He did fleece Philly for JVR.. and Kadri looked awesome last night and coming into his own... just sayin'

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Not to stop an interesting conversation but I am fairly sure the rule about having to waive player who played in Europe has been put aside for this season.  There were a few Russian born players that play games in the KHL after training camps opened.  None of them had to be waived.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Orrthebest's comment:

Not to stop an interesting conversation but I am fairly sure the rule about having to waive player who played in Europe has been put aside for this season.  There were a few Russian born players that play games in the KHL after training camps opened.  None of them had to be waived.

After July 19th?  Not doubting you, just asking.  Don't know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Kovalchuk was there so long people thought he might not come back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

TSN is quoting that the season officially started on 19th and O'Reilly played 2 games after that. Fesster is saying he had a different interpretation (as did O'Reilly's agent unsurprisingly). To think you can get a Selke winner for that money....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In response to Kurako's comment:

TSN is quoting that the season officially started on 19th and O'Reilly played 2 games after that. Fesster is saying he had a different interpretation (as did O'Reilly's agent unsurprisingly). To think you can get a Selke winner for that money....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108

I found this part very interesting;

While Article 13:23 in the pre-2012-13 CBA specified that any player who plays in Europe after start of NHL regular season needs to clear waivers to play in the same season in the NHL, the recent Memorandum of Understanding between the league and Players' Association says all players on a club's reserve list and RFA list will be exempt from the application of 13:23.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Kovalchuk was there so long people thought he might not come back.

Doesn't the rule involve a team change though?  So Kovalchuk wouldn't apply, nor O'Reilly with Colorado...?  Again, I really don't know.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Doesn't the rule involve a team change though?  So Kovalchuk wouldn't apply, nor O'Reilly with Colorado...?  Again, I really don't know.

You are right. In the new CBA there's a provision in this rule that allows the team who owns his rights ( Colorado ) to bring the player back without putting him on waivers. 

Any other team ? Waivers first before owning the players rights.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Half the league was playing in Europe and Asia during the lockout, so it made sense to set aside the part of the rule pertaining to players coming back to resume the year.  Feaster's case is, apparently, that O'Reilly is on Colorado's reserve list even if he's an RFA.  The fact that the hasn't already played in the NHL under that exemption is a function of his contract status only, so in Feaster's brain the sequence of events is O'Reilly is granted an exemption because he's on Colorado's reserve list, THEN Calgary offers a contract to a player who has already been exempted from the need to pass through waivers.

Pretty dumb risk when it would have been pretty freaking easy to call the League office for a clarification.  And if they didn't because they didn't want to tip off Colorado, then the League office is dysfunctional.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Half the league was playing in Europe and Asia during the lockout, so it made sense to set aside the part of the rule pertaining to players coming back to resume the year.  Feaster's case is, apparently, that O'Reilly is on Colorado's reserve list even if he's an RFA.  The fact that the hasn't already played in the NHL under that exemption is a function of his contract status only, so in Feaster's brain the sequence of events is O'Reilly is granted an exemption because he's on Colorado's reserve list, THEN Calgary offers a contract to a player who has already been exempted from the need to pass through waivers.

Pretty dumb risk when it would have been pretty freaking easy to call the League office for a clarification.  And if they didn't because they didn't want to tip off Colorado, then the League office is dysfunctional.

Calgary does this and we wouldn't be talking about it. Apparently they said they were in disagreement with how the rule was interpretted. Very weak !

That's like someone telling an author of a book they don't agree with the way he interpretted a story he has written.

Sections
Shortcuts