Flames give O'Reiily Offer Sheet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Flames give O'Reiily Offer Sheet

"Pretty dumb risk when it would have been pretty freaking easy to call the League office for a clarification."

Dale Tallon will never forget this...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Dale Tallon will never forget this...

---

Actually Bob MacKenzie was talking about this last night on the radio. Even though Tallon should have due dilligence in what goes on with his team, the person who was in charge of knowing that information ? None other then their current GM..........Stan Bowman. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think both G.M's look real bad here. it's pretty obvious neither of them knew the rule. now the Avs are paying alot more for him than they wanted to because they ddint know the rule and Jay Feaster, though he should thank his lucky stars they ddint match, comes off looking pretty dumb.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I think both G.M's look real bad here. it's pretty obvious neither of them knew the rule. now the Avs are paying alot more for him than they wanted to because they ddint know the rule and Jay Feaster, though he should thank his lucky stars they ddint match, comes off looking pretty dumb.

Feaster looks like a complete blockhead here, but how does Colorado come off looking bad?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Feaster looks like a complete blockhead here, but how does Colorado come off looking bad?

I think Colorado comes off looking bad because, and from what i've read, they were informed that Calgary was preparing an offer sheet for O'Reilly...Now if your Sherman, don't you call Feaster and tell him that O'Reilly has to go through waivers first and it could cost him picks...You don't care about Calgary losing the picks, but you don't want them drving up the price on O'Reilly either...thats why i don't think Colorado knew about it either...

BTW, didnt this just happen recently? Didnt Detroit sign Nabokov and he was claimed by the Islanders and initially said he wasnt going to report?? I think I remeber that correctly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Maybe Sherman knew he was going to match and just said whatever.

Or, even better, maybe Sherman knew the deal and wanted to see Calgary lose the picks and get nothing in return while the prized player went to Columbus.

Nabakov was a free agent, so it was a bit different, but yes, that did happen.

Feaster thought that this was a unique case and that O'Reilly would come back to NA as Colorado property and then be moved.

Instead, he would have come back to NA and be moved, meaning he'd have to clear the waivers.  Which he wouldn't have.  Obivously.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Maybe Sherman knew he was going to match and just said whatever.

Or, even better, maybe Sherman knew the deal and wanted to see Calgary lose the picks and get nothing in return while the prized player went to Columbus.

Nabakov was a free agent, so it was a bit different, but yes, that did happen.

Feaster thought that this was a unique case and that O'Reilly would come back to NA as Colorado property and then be moved.

Instead, he would have come back to NA and be moved, meaning he'd have to clear the waivers.  Which he wouldn't have.  Obivously.

true, and the more I think of it, perhaps Sherman knew the rule and assumed Feaster did as well. Either way though, i dont think theres any way Feaster knew the rule.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Well, they totally let someone else determine the contract for one thing.  The current contract is for a lot more than the Avs ever offered.  If they make this offer in the summer O'Reilly is probably the captain of the team and they avoid this whole mess.  It's been a PR disaster for them and they lost a big hand on this.  They're going to have to pay Duchene a whole lot more than he's making very soon, and O'Reilly will now certainly be a comparable.  

The Avs counted on the fact that nobody would make an offer sheet and they could either outlast O'Reilly into a modest contract or get a big return in a trade (they were asking for a ton).  They guesed wrong.  Calgary called the bluff.  Colorado not only decided that they had to match, but they desperately did it as fast as they could just to retain the possibility of being able to trade O'Reilly next year.

A very good article on this from the Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_22697578/botched-ryan-oreilly-deal-proves-avs-need-change

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

If Colorado knew the rule, they could have took the 7 days, talked to Columbus to see if they could have worked out a side deal to not match the offer to acquire more assets. They didn't.

The result ? They knee-jerked and didn't let the process play out. Who knows what they could have acquired from Columbus on top of the 1st and 3rd from Calgary ?

Why not try ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Not really called for, but in light of SanDog bringing Tallon into the mix, I'd like to offer, one more time, the floor to those who were so high on Tallon after Florida had an improbable year last year so that they can fall on their swords.  The perfect storm of Fleishmann, Weiss and Versteeg is now passed.  Campbell is what he is - gifted offensively, a liability otherwise.  Kuba, so over-rated thanks to his time playing with Karlsson last year, is back to being Kuba.  Florida is, once again, really really bad.  They have a real shot at being the worst team in the league this year.  Go Dale!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Not really called for, but in light of SanDog bringing Tallon into the mix, I'd like to offer, one more time, the floor to those who were so high on Tallon after Florida had an improbable year last year so that they can fall on their swords.  The perfect storm of Fleishmann, Weiss and Versteeg is now passed.  Campbell is what he is - gifted offensively, a liability otherwise.  Kuba, so over-rated thanks to his time playing with Karlsson last year, is back to being Kuba.  Florida is, once again, really really bad.  They have a real shot at being the worst team in the league this year.  Go Dale!

I agree with all of this except your assessment of Campbell.  He does a great job at both ends of the ice.  Obviously he's great with the puck, but he also takes care in his own end.  He plays on the PK and blocks a lot of shots.  I was really surprised because we've heard the opposite for years.

I think it was RMiller87 that spent his days on his knees in front of Tallon.  I don't now who else.

Sections
Shortcuts