Flies

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Re: Flies

In Response to Re: Flies:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Flies : Funny, I've wondered about those flies ever since last year's playoffs.  I've thought about bringing the subject up here, but figured I'd be besieged with comments about biting, diving, etc. etc. Glad someone else brought it up.  The response about warm weather creating a micro-climate inside, and breeding flies doesn't really fly in early-March, does it?
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Biter, diver, etc, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I knew I wasn't nuts!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Ok...sorry to be the voice of reason, but I've run a bunch of stadiums in my day and here's the big problem: it's a large space. bugs get in. they like to go to the ceiling...and low and behold, there's a wicked bright and hot scoreboard up there.

It happens in EVERY arena. it's not unsanitary. it's nature and happens. only NESN is stupid enough to use a camera mounted directly in the scoreboard instead of a rooftop side-mounted camera that could still be an "above the logo" shot. You know, where Jack and Brick hang.

Now if you want to talk about the director cutting to the corner ice-level camera every time a Bs winger gets there with time and space, only to miss the centering pass EVERY SINGLE TIME, then you have my attention. Corner camera for checking and contested plays along the boards = good. Corner camera when a player goes to the puck there unopposed = bad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]Ok...sorry to be the voice of reason, but I've run a bunch of stadiums in my day and here's the big problem: it's a large space. bugs get in. they like to go to the ceiling...and low and behold, there's a wicked bright and hot scoreboard up there. It happens in EVERY arena. it's not unsanitary. it's nature and happens. only NESN is stupid enough to use a camera mounted directly in the scoreboard instead of a rooftop side-mounted camera that could still be an "above the logo" shot. You know, where Jack and Brick hang. Now if you want to talk about the director cutting to the corner ice-level camera every time a Bs winger gets there with time and space, only to miss the centering pass EVERY SINGLE TIME, then you have my attention. Corner camera for checking and contested plays along the boards = good. Corner camera when a player goes to the puck there unopposed = bad.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

I've also worked in many arenas, and have never seen a fly problem, only rodents which a few cats always had fun with.  I have never seen flies around a camera on any other broadcast.  There is simply no excuse for it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Ok...sorry to be the voice of reason, but I've run a bunch of stadiums in my day and here's the big problem: it's a large space. bugs get in. they like to go to the ceiling...and low and behold, there's a wicked bright and hot scoreboard up there. It happens in EVERY arena. it's not unsanitary. it's nature and happens. only NESN is stupid enough to use a camera mounted directly in the scoreboard instead of a rooftop side-mounted camera that could still be an "above the logo" shot. You know, where Jack and Brick hang. Now if you want to talk about the director cutting to the corner ice-level camera every time a Bs winger gets there with time and space, only to miss the centering pass EVERY SINGLE TIME, then you have my attention. Corner camera for checking and contested plays along the boards = good. Corner camera when a player goes to the puck there unopposed = bad.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

It appears to me that other rinks have the same camera shot and they don't have flies buzzing around it.

I'm sure this could be resolved by some sticky paper placed nearby.

And as far as the crunch and munch guy goes, he would drive me into temporary insanity to the point where I'm sure I could get off a murder rap.  I saw him distract Steve Heinze as he made a sudden move offering him a box of crunch and munch as he went down the boards.

The players hated him and probably complained.

Can we take this thread to a positive place and write an email to:
    fanrelations@bostonbruins.com
    And maybe they can do something about the flies and/or your other beefs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Flies : Funny, I've wondered about those flies ever since last year's playoffs.  I've thought about bringing the subject up here, but figured I'd be besieged with comments about biting, diving, etc. etc. Glad someone else brought it up.  The response about warm weather creating a micro-climate inside, and breeding flies doesn't really fly in early-March, does it?
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

It's been really warm here.  Warm like, you know, the blood your biting players crave.

Don't worry about the flies near the scoreboard in Boston.  Worry about the scoreboard itself reading "Stanley Cup Champions" while you favorite team's scoreboard says, "Dang.  Losers AGAIN!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And while I have declared 49 to be a troll, I'm trying to follow abkerfan (or whatever) and see if his/her approach will work.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]It all began from the big patch of moss that grew over Phil Kessel's weightroom locker a few years ago.  It was a perfect place for insects to breed and hatch without any fear of disturbance, and a long forgotten block of cheddar cheese that Kessel once left there provided adequate sustenance.  When Kessel was traded, the team asked him to clean it out, but he had long since forgotten where the weight room was, so this little plot of nature remained.  Anyhow, these 'Kessel mites' got tired of watching Chara lift weights all the time and moved out to the scoreboard area to watch the games.  They come out in force for the Toronto game to show their appreciation to Phil Kessel for the habitat he unwittingly created for them by being a fat, lazy slough. You can look to these very bugs for the origins of the "Thank You Kessel" chants...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

haha..Kessel has a great shot, can skate like the wind, but if I take my kids to the local playground and he's there, I keep one on my eye kids and one on him..he's got that hairdo and look in his eyes that screams of level 2. one strange looking fella.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Fly paper? Yeah - ok. That will work.

Jeez.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Fly paper? Yeah - ok. That will work. Jeez.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Yes.  It does.  Works like a charm.  I have rid many situations of flies, lots of them and when you only get a few pesky ones.

I use the term "fly paper" in a generic sense.  The old fashioned fly paper works in some situations, but not in others.  There's boxes with scent and fly paper on the inside.  There are sticky boards for mice and insects.

Used incorrectly none of these solutions work and you will manage to stick to everything EXCEPT flies.

I've live in a rural area and have been beset upon by wasps, yellow jackets, mosquitos, squash bugs, carpenter ants, grubs, voles, moles and deer mice (not to be confused with "city" mice).  Not to mention the occasional skunk or possum.

Exterminators cost a fortune and take the approach of "kill them all and let God sort them out".  

The homeowner can do a better job because you can figure out where they are and target one area or one problem.

Yes.  I could write a book about this.  I can guarantee I'd get rid of the flies, at least enough to keep out of the camera at game time.

One piece of advise all can take.  Take the sticky boards and place them in areas around your basement where you won't trap yourself and out of the way.  Routinely check them and you'll catch a problem before it becomes a bigger problem.  Replace them when they get too covered in dust and don't stick anymore, but you can get years out of them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hey, it just struck me that I haven't seen the flies in a while.

Are they gone?

Maybe we need to bring them back?  

Maybe it's what the Bruins are missing?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Bruins scoreboard flies don't bite as much as the Canucks! Ha! And they are harder to swat than a Sedin! In response to "Re: Flies": [QUOTE]In Response to Flies : Funny, I've wondered about those flies ever since last year's playoffs.  I've thought about bringing the subject up here, but figured I'd be besieged with comments about biting, diving, etc. etc. Glad someone else brought it up.  The response about warm weather creating a micro-climate inside, and breeding flies doesn't really fly in early-March, does it? Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Sigh. You had to go and bump this, didn't you?

Well, at least it's more appropriate than a Dougie Hamilton thread this time of year.

Next you know, we'll be talking about what free agents we'd like to see with Savard's "cap space".

Ugh.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Sigh. You had to go and bump this, didn't you? Well, at least it's more appropriate than a Dougie Hamilton thread this time of year. Next you know, we'll be talking about what free agents we'd like to see with Savard's "cap space". Ugh.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

What would be wrong with that ? He's still playing too and is a future Bruin and I wondered about Savard the other day. Is there a restriction on what the topics can be this time of year ? Ugh, didn't know that.