Florida Panthers owner: "the current business model is not sustainable"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Florida Panthers owner: "the current business model is not sustainable"

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/panthers-being-panthers-owner-vinnie-viola-met-one-coaching-candidate-dont-need-to-see-anyone-else/

"Florida Panthers fans deserve something, anything, better than what they’ve been given in the 20-plus years of the franchise’s existence. This is a team cursed with poor drafting, or poor ownership, or poor coaching, or poor trades, or any combination of those things. Very early in their existence they made the Stanley Cup final. And that was the peak for them.

The thing is, I don’t think this team is as bad as the one that finished 29th last season. The goaltending should be better, which is enough to see some improvement, but the youngsters should also ascend modestly. Some deadwood was shed, although some younger cap deadwood was added (coughDavidBollandcough), but overall, in a weak Eastern Conference where the Toronto Maple Leafs will get some votes as a post-season team, Florida should be in the running for one of the last playoff spots.

It’s enough to give further optimism to a fan base that has been brought up on optimism and false promises without any payoff. But, still, hovering over this franchise is the prospect of relocation.

Currently, the Panthers are seeking a greater share of Broward County’s “bed tax” which are levied on tourists to the area. The hockey team receives 16 percent of that tax right now and is seeking an increase to about one-third, or 33 percent. Those who oppose a greater share going towards the Panthers want the money used on the beaches, which is a greater tourist draw than the arena.

“We estimate that about 30,000 room nights are related to all events at the arena (concerts) annually. We have over 8 million room nights per year sold,” the county’s Nicki Grossman told the Miami Herald earlier this year. The Panthers, who claim to lose $30 million a year, have a lease in the BB&T Center that runs through 2028 and a debt of about $250 million on the arena. But mayor Barbara Sharief and the county have hired a consultant who is looking into the feasibility of letting the Panthers franchise relocate and get out from under that lease.

The results of that report are expected to be released in October. On Saturday, Fox Sports published an interview with Panthers co-owner Doug Cifu who, among other things, was asked about where he saw this franchise in five-to-10 years. He dodged it with the grace of Tim Thomas defending a breakaway, saying his and Vinnie Viola’s desire was to keep the team in Florida, but he added…

the current business model is not sustainable.”

Broward Politics @browardpolitics 

"Sharief says she's now withholding opinion on Panthers bailout request, until consultant advises what county should do / Britt"

Bsharief 

"@browardpolitics never said I would give more money to panthers BBT is a county owned facility w/250mill debt regardless"

@browardpolitics 

"Miramar Commissoner Alexandra Davis, running for county,, told Sun Sentinel that Panthers owner has "gold covered faucets' in bathroom/ BW"

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/category/quebec-city-arena

"As the dance goes on, Quebec’s new arena goes up. The project, which is scheduled to be completed in September of 2015, is a beacon of hope for ravenous hockey fans in Quebec City that the NHL will one day return, even without any guarantees from the league.

Below are some recent pictures from the arena site, showing the progress that has been made so far. There are three outside shots and one from the inside, followed by a video of the construction. All photos courtesy of Ville de Québec/City of Québec."

My money is on Québec!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Florida Panthers owner:

Uh oh...cue the "they should move to Quebec City" meme as of now!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

And "gold covered faucets?" Really? lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

NHL needs a team in the Western conference to even everything out........sooo,Seattle it is,Gretzky will be brought on board,natural rivalry with the Nucks,Sharts,Kings,Ducks and will play in the old arena where the Thunderbirds play until the new one is built,presto fixed!

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If the current model isn't sustainable, why did he buy it?  How stupid.

I think this is both sides putting their game faces on and getting ready to drop the gloves.  I also believe the end will be a Shawn Thornton special, with both sides looking good for doing the job, but neither being really hurt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the current model isn't sustainable, why did he buy it?  How stupid.

I think this is both sides putting their game faces on and getting ready to drop the gloves.  I also believe the end will be a Shawn Thornton special, with both sides looking good for doing the job, but neither being really hurt.

[/QUOTE]

Will there also be bouncing?

[object HTMLDivElement]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

The current business model isn't sustainable is code phrase for "we're broke and I want to move to a lucrative hockey market."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If that's the case, the NHL should say "tough" - figure it out.  Buy the team and then say the business model doesn't work is either stupid or a virtually transparent play to buy and move.

I don't think Bettman is the kind of guy who would like that kind of ploy.

Are you not entertained?!?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The Patriots might move to Hartford, unless they get some help.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Eventually Kraft was able to get $72 million from the state of Massachusetts while he financed the rest."

Only after Ol Bob shook hands with Hartford.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Frank Zappa remake: Going to Seattle goin to be a dental floss tycoon. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I would prefer a team not go to Seattle for no other reason than I would hate to see green flourecent gloves. They love that color up there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would prefer a team not go to Seattle for no other reason than I would hate to see green flourecent gloves. They love that color up there.

[/QUOTE]

Oh come on, that would be...awesome!!!

Think a Vegas team would have tinsel gloves?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Quebec would be awesome.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Quebec would be awesome.  

[/QUOTE]

It sure would be Shupe, but I think 50 is right. The league will want to even up the conferences first, so I think Seattle, or even KC gets a franchise first. But, I certainly want PQ to be back. Saw my 1st 3 Bruins game there in 84, 86 & 87. Then finally got to go Da Gaden in 88.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The current business model isn't sustainable is code phrase for "we're broke and I want to move to a lucrative hockey market."

[/QUOTE]

It's straight forward for "this is bad business and not how the owner became a billionaire, so we're going to have to change it."

The only B in Viola's word is referencing a ton of zeros.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

They need to take greed lessons from Jeffrey Loria who fleeced Miami taxpayers for $600M for the Marlins' stadium and promptly dumped the team's payroll out the window.  He's got the best deal going = field a perennial joke and make a fortune. 

Coyotes will go to Seattle.  Quebec will get the Panthers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They need to take greed lessons from Jeffrey Loria who fleeced Miami taxpayers for $600M for the Marlins' stadium and promptly dumped the team's payroll out the window.  He's got the best deal going = field a perennial joke and make a fortune. 

Coyotes will go to Seattle.  Quebec will get the Panthers.

[/QUOTE]

The Marlins won the World Series in 1996 and 2006.  Their success has been an EKG, but if I'm a fan, I'd much rather be a Marlins fan than be a fan of the Cubs, Rangers, Royals, Mariners and the rest of the Can-Never-Win teams.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Marlins won the World Series in 1996 and 2006.  Their success has been an EKG, but if I'm a fan, I'd much rather be a Marlins fan than be a fan of the Cubs, Rangers, Royals, Mariners and the rest of the Can-Never-Win teams.

[/QUOTE]

There are Marlin fans? Kidding

But seriously, I am not sure if the Marlin "feast and famine" business model can work in a salary capped NHL in any event. I thought maybe this is what was going to happen when the Hawks won in 2010 but then had to get rid of a good chunk of their roster the next year but they have proven to be resilient.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

That's the reason why I always ask if the stadium loan is paid off. Once the owners of the SF Giants paid of SBC Park they started to spend and will take on salary to make a move in July. Eventually the Rangers and Mariners will do the same as the Giants. Unless the Cubs and KC get new stadiums, they won't, their model stay the same. 

Either Broward County gives into Viola's demands or the Panthers are gone. The +/- debt ratio from tickets, concessions, apparel sales etc. is just not there to sustain basically an EL contract team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Either Broward County gives into Viola's demands or the Panthers are gone. The +/- debt ratio from tickets, concessions, apparel sales etc. is just not there to sustain basically an EL contract team.

[/QUOTE]

What is the likelihood it will you think?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE] Either Broward County gives into Viola's demands or the Panthers are gone. The +/- debt ratio from tickets, concessions, apparel sales etc. is just not there to sustain basically an EL contract team. [/QUOTE]

What is the likelihood it will you think? [/QUOTE]

Broward County is having an independent study done, to be released in October, to see how bad the loss would be for the arena if they didn't have the Panthers.

"Currently losing $30 million annually, the Panthers have a lease to stay in the BB&T Center through 2028. The club’s debt is roughly $250 million, the Hockey News reported Monday"

I say this is the Panthers last year in Florida unless the taxpayers are duped into footing the bill.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I say this is the Panthers last year in Florida unless the taxpayers are duped into footing the bill.

[/QUOTE]

Another Glendale extortion scenario perhaps? Ahh, well.....Seattle Thunder here we come!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

The biggest difference between the Marlins and the Panthers though is that the Marlins have a fan base who cares, and the Panthers don't. The Marlins can leverage the Hispanic communities, bring in a couple names, and still put fannies in the seats. Panthers, not so much.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

So true and they have won.

Sections
Shortcuts