Flyers interested in Ryder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Flyers interested in Ryder

"No indication whether the Bruins will make an offer to Tomas Kaberle, who will become an unrestricted free agent Friday. Two agents queried estimated the Bruins will have to offer at least $3 million per year to bring the puck-moving defenseman back to Boston. It is a high price for Kaberle, who settled into a third-pairing role in the Cup Final alongside Adam McQuaid. However, the Bruins could project Kaberle’s performance to improve once he gets a full training camp and becomes more comfortable in coach Claude Julien’s system.

"Regardless of where Kaberle lands, it’s doubtful he receives a contract comparable to Eric Brewer. Yesterday, Tampa Bay re-signed its top-pairing defenseman to a four-year, $15.4 million deal. During the playoffs, Brewer was coach Guy Boucher’s ice-time leader, playing in all situation If Kaberle reaches the market, other comparable two-way defensemen scheduled to be free agents include Joni Pitkanen"

Fluto is on the same page Shup and I think Kaberle's agent will think Brewer money so I'd rather have a 27 year ol than a 34 year ol. I bet Siedenberg's would light up if Chiarelli said he was bringing Joni loves chachi in. Financailly I'd make the room for both.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: Flyers interested in Ryder:
    [QUOTE]I don't know much about Laich.  But from what I'm reading here, I like his effort level.  He's also a consistent 20+ goal scorer.  Cole would be a good pickup as well.  Jokinen has only had one good season where he scored 30.  Other than that he's been very ordinary. Brooks Laich sounds like a Bergeron line type of player.  I don't view Seguin as that guy.  If Seguin takes his game to the next level I'm comfortable with him on any line.  But right now that isn't his playing style.
    Posted by mattc355[/QUOTE]
    Jokinen I like, although I understand the hesitation given the fact that he's been a late bloomer, so to speak. He's got good vision, could definitely see him as a 20-30-50 guy for the next few years. Needs work on his defensive game.

I like Cole as well, but not for what he and his agent will demand. It's been speculated that he's been offered nearly $4M per year and according to some papers in the Raleigh area, they are "far apart" in their negotiations. Plus, he's 32 and his health hasn't been the greatest in recent years. It's unfortunate, as he has the potential to be a 25-30 goal scorer every year.

Your assumptions from what you've read/heard on here are SPOT ON! I couldn't tell you how awesome our 2nd line would be, as he would slide into the Right Wing, with Bergy down the middle and Marshmont on the left side. His versatility comes in handy as well, as if Bergy gets kicked out of the faceoff circle, Laich can step right in.

Whoever gets Brooks Laich will be in for a REAL treat. He plays a lot like Bergy. Goes ALL OUT to make plays, and would spill his guts out. Outstanding leader, on and off the ice. He's a solid 20-30-50 guy, but you'd get way more bang for the buck with him than Jokinen or Cole. Really, really solid 2-way player. He is outstanding as a point-man on the powerplay and is a great penalty killer. He is also very versatile, as he can play Centre and Right Wing equally well. He's still in his prime, too.

I'd have no reservations about giving him a 5-6 year contract in the range of $3-4M/YR. If I were PC, I'd tell his agent, "name your price."

George McPhee and the CAPS front office should have their houses burned to the ground if they let him go.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

I'm Laichin' it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from njbrufan. Show njbrufan's posts

The decision, i think, has to be more business than emotion.

Ryder was huge in the playoffs.  I remember wondering where the legs came from.  The physical play, too. He was rolling defnseman and hitting the boards in the offensive zone.  He showed dirty, dirty savvy in  the d-zone, with some timely crease defense.  He was huge in a backckecking role, preventing some open net tap-ins.

But he checks out for 2-3 week stretches during the regular season.  Hate to use a basketball reference, but he's sort of an aspiring Robert Horry.  Without the huge playoff contributions, it's hard to see the bruins winning the 2011 Cup.  But  across the 80 game schedule, he's a marginal contributor.

If it's my choice, I make hime a super cap friendly offer and hope somebody like Philly bites on a big deal.  We will make the playoffs and probably have a high seed with Caron, Seguin or another Providence prospect logging time on line 2-3.  We have the flexibilty on the current roster to find minutes for Peverly or Kelly on line 2-3, w/o a huge drop in production.  We can get younger (which is the key to long-term success on a high level *see 2000's Detroit Red Wings"), compete at a high level, and better manage the cap if we don't over-invest in Ryder.

If he brings some intangible that I have managed to under=-estimate, and that the Bruins fall short on at the 2012 trade deadline, I'm sure he could be reacquired for a pick and or a prospect.  Especially if he doesn't play to the numbers of his new contract for his new team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

Love Ryder at the right $$$.  I agree with all that he was off/on during regular season, but in playoffs came up big.  Would not be upset if he was let go depending on who they brought in.  Recchi was a huge part of things here.. Need to make sure we find some grit and seasoning to replace him.  More speed is also needed as Bs stepped up Peverly and Seguin, but could use some more speedy two way transitional players. Lastly a puck moving d man tha will allow offense not have to work puck backwards all the time, but instead forward play up ice to open speedy forwards.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flyers interested in Ryder : Jokinen I like, although I understand the hesitation given the fact that he's been a late bloomer, so to speak. He's got good vision, could definitely see him as a 20-30-50 guy for the next few years. Needs work on his defensive game. I like Cole as well, but not for what he and his agent will demand. It's been speculated that he's been offered nearly $4M per year and according to some papers in the Raleigh area, they are "far apart" in their negotiations. Plus, he's 32 and his health hasn't been the greatest in recent years. It's unfortunate, as he has the potential to be a 25-30 goal scorer every year. Your assumptions from what you've read/heard on here are SPOT ON! I couldn't tell you how awesome our 2nd line would be, as he would slide into the Right Wing, with Bergy down the middle and Marshmont on the left side. His versatility comes in handy as well, as if Bergy gets kicked out of the faceoff circle, Laich can step right in. Whoever gets Brooks Laich will be in for a REAL treat. He plays a lot like Bergy. Goes ALL OUT to make plays, and would spill his guts out. Outstanding leader, on and off the ice. He's a solid 20-30-50 guy, but you'd get way more bang for the buck with him than Jokinen or Cole. Really, really solid 2-way player. He is outstanding as a point-man on the powerplay and is a great penalty killer. He is also very versatile, as he can play Centre and Right Wing equally well. He's still in his prime, too. I'd have no reservations about giving him a 5-6 year contract in the range of $3-4M/YR. If I were PC, I'd tell his agent, "name your price." George McPhee and the CAPS front office should have their houses burned to the ground if they let him go.  
    Posted by Hockguy0818[/QUOTE]

I think you like him as much as i do.  He should have been named team captain.  I watch a lot of the capital games and he is the real deal.  The caps added Brauwer for fear he may leave.  Brooks wants to stay in Wash but don't they all say that? 
    Chara should be making a trip to Saskatchewan with the Cup and tell him they are making room for his name next year. 
    Stealing him from Washington helps us and hurts all the other teams in the league in a big way.  If I could chose one of Laich or Richards on the UFA market I would take Laich.  Big, fast, hard working winger who can also take spot at center on occasion.  He plays PP/PK and you would want him on the ice in every big situation. 
    I can see someone over paying.  But if its 4 million I say get him locked up early.  he wont last

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Will always love rides but it will be hard to keep him $$$ wise.........RYAN SPOONER was one of the best players last pre season and could have should have actually made the club were it not as deep as it is. SPOONER reminds me of the kid from the cains who won just the calder trophy ''JEFF SKINNER''...........Look out for spooner folks.............Spooner and Caron to replace Recci and Ryder and Kampfer to replace Kaberle would be the smartest most logical thing to do and actually improve the club with the speed and youth while freeing up the cap bigtime for possible deadline trade......BACK TO BACK 2012

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

I don't think you move guys who come through for you in the playoffs.Ryder is very well liked on the team .He is good natured and the guys constantly joke with him since he is from Newfoundland .For the right money he should be back.I don't know how anyone can think Caron is going to take his place.Caron fizzled badly after the first couple of games this year and is nowhere near the sniper Ryder is .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flyers interested in Ryder : I think you like him as much as i do.  He should have been named team captain.  I watch a lot of the capital games and he is the real deal.  The caps added Brauwer for fear he may leave.  Brooks wants to stay in Wash but don't they all say that?  Chara should be making a trip to Saskatchewan with the Cup and tell him they are making room for his name next year.  Stealing him from Washington helps us and hurts all the other teams in the league in a big way.  If I could chose one of Laich or Richards on the UFA market I would take Laich.  Big, fast, hard working winger who can also take spot at center on occasion.  He plays PP/PK and you would want him on the ice in every big situation.  I can see someone over paying.  But if its 4 million I say get him locked up early.  he wont last
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Agree 100% with everything you said. He's not the most talented guy in the league, but players with his versatility, skill-set, hockey IQ, physicality and work ethic are VERY rare in the NHL. He does all the dirty work, has some bite/grit to his game and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty if it means making that extra pass or knocking his man off the puck. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE] I don't think you move guys who come through for you in the playoffs.Ryder is very well liked on the team .He is good natured and the guys constantly joke with him since he is from Newfoundland .For the right money he should be back.I don't know how anyone can think Caron is going to take his place.Caron fizzled badly after the first couple of games this year and is nowhere near the sniper Ryder is .
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

Have you missed about half of Boston games since Ryder signed?  B/C he only shows up when he feels like it.  He can easily be replaced.  He is an very streaky and when he isnt scoring he is very useless.  I don't want him back at all.  Even on a good deal.  I want a new guy to play on the 3rd line.  Caron is young and will develop.  He needs a chance.  This year is his chance. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flyers interested in Ryder : Agree 100% with everything you said. He's not the most talented guy in the league, but players with his versatility, skill-set, hockey IQ, physicality and work ethic are VERY rare in the NHL. He does all the dirty work, has some bite/grit to his game and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty if it means making that extra pass or knocking his man off the puck. 

2 yrs ago when the Caps lost in the playoffs to Montreal he saw a woman with a flat tire and stopped to change her tire.  Good Canadian boy.  Can you imagine this happening in Basketball, Baseball or Football.  No chance.
    Laich is one of my favorites outside of Boston.  We have the money to get him and there is a need as well. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

Laich is a target of the Habs.  We will have to pay big bucks to get him.

I think our priority is defence.  Kaberle will wait for a Detroit offer and then the rest will fall.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flyers interested in Ryder : 2 yrs ago when the Caps lost in the playoffs to Montreal he saw a woman with a flat tire and stopped to change her tire.  Good Canadian boy.  Can you imagine this happening in Basketball, Baseball or Football.  No chance. Laich is one of my favorites outside of Boston.  We have the money to get him and there is a need as well. 
    Agreed. I'm a bit worried considering PC has stated quite a few times that there will not be any major signings this summer by us. Perhaps he's trying to downplay everything and that he and Cam have a gameplan. Or maybe Laich isn't viewed by PC as a potential "big signing." 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flyers interested in Ryder : Have you missed about half of Boston games since Ryder signed?  B/C he only shows up when he feels like it.  He can easily be replaced.  He is an very streaky and when he isnt scoring he is very useless.  I don't want him back at all.  Even on a good deal.  I want a new guy to play on the 3rd line.  Caron is young and will develop.  He needs a chance.  This year is his chance. 
    I really don't care if he takes games off in the regular season as long as he comes through in the playoffs.The league is filled with guys who can play well in the regular seaon[Sedin's]the playoffs is a different kind of hockey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flyers interested in Ryder : I really don't care if he takes games off in the regular season as long as he comes through in the playoffs.The league is filled with guys who can play well in the regular seaon[Sedin's]the playoffs is a different kind of hockey.

I do when they were paying him as a top 6 fwd.  Its fine if he is on the 3rd and 4th lines.  And yes he came through in the playoffs, but so did a lot of other guys.  25 games doesnt change my mind on what he did here for the duration of his contract.  And don't throw stats at me.  He gets his goals and I understand that.  But thats all he does.  And he doesnt do it enough to warrant another deal.
    IF, he took a one year deal around 1.5 I would consider it.  But if any team offers up 2+ yrs I would shake his hand and wish him well.  I would rather have Caron in his spot at a 1/4 of the price.  New blood is a good thing and of all the fwds I can't wait for him to be gone. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

I was/am a bit worried that Ryder was playing himself into another 3 yr contract with his playoff performance which was great and helped us win the Cup.  However it's tough to overlook his sporadic at best regular season play.  I think he can be easily replaced either via free agency (Laich would be great especially if we are keeping him away from the Habs) or through the B's farm system.   

Kaberle should be gone no matter what, no grit, no shot.  Bring in someone younger with same skill set and let Kablerle walk

Of course much of what they will do with free agency depends on what Savard decides and I'm sure the B's managment have a pretty good idea of what that will be at this point

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flyers interested in Ryder : I do when they were paying him as a top 6 fwd.  Its fine if he is on the 3rd and 4th lines.  And yes he came through in the playoffs, but so did a lot of other guys.  25 games doesnt change my mind on what he did here for the duration of his contract.  And don't throw stats at me.  He gets his goals and I understand that.  But thats all he does.  And he doesnt do it enough to warrant another deal. IF, he took a one year deal around 1.5 I would consider it.  But if any team offers up 2+ yrs I would shake his hand and wish him well.  I would rather have Caron in his spot at a 1/4 of the price.  New blood is a good thing and of all the fwds I can't wait for him to be gone. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE] I agree about not wanting to pay him 4 mill.In my opinion he did redeem himself with his play in the playoffs as far as this year goes.I think he also did more than score goals in the playoffs this year,he dug in and worked hard and played two way hockey.I don't think his goals are necessarily easily replaced.I certainly don't think Caron will score as much  as Ryder .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Laich vs Ryder?

Laich.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrneely. Show mrneely's posts

I think you have to keep Ryder for another 2 yrs, for the right $$$. I don't see anyone in Providence that can fill his shoes. I think the Bruins organization putting a new coach in Providence is a good move to help develope the kids down there. This is a team sport and I think most of you have been a little hard on Ryder. I have seen many a night where Lucic didn't proform all that well, I think he is still looking to improve his game too. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flyers interested in Ryder : I really don't care if he takes games off in the regular season as long as he comes through in the playoffs.The league is filled with guys who can play well in the regular seaon[Sedin's]the playoffs is a different kind of hockey.

Part of playing on the team is winning.  I think I went to nine games last season.  They won two.  The other seven were not fun!  Yes, the ultimate goal is to win the Cup, but without the entertainment factor during the season, it's a loser of a franchise. 

I care if they play well during the season.  Have you been to any of the games when the team was gassed (physically or mentally) and put in a poor effort?  It's terrible.  Ryder put in a poor effort more often than not, and the "at the game" experience suffers when players do this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]Laich is a target of the Habs.  We will have to pay big bucks to get him. I think our priority is defence.  Kaberle will wait for a Detroit offer and then the rest will fall.
    Posted by olsonstephanie[/QUOTE]
    I would not have any hesitations if PC offered him $4M/YR for 5-6 Years. He's worth it. He does a lot of things that help his team win that don't end up on the boxscore sheet...kind of like Bergy. Is Bergy a $5M/YR player with his offensive skills? You can make an argument that he isn't. But he does so many things that don't end up on the score sheet that help us win, all while playing great defense and having a high hockey IQ. All of that, to me, makes him worth $5M/YR. Same can be said for Laich if he is signed at $4M/YR.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flyers interested in Ryder : I would not have any hesitations if PC offered him $4M/YR for 5-6 Years. He's worth it. He does a lot of things that help his team win that don't end up on the boxscore sheet...kind of like Bergy. Is Bergy a $5M/YR player with his offensive skills? You can make an argument that he isn't. But he does so many things that don't end up on the score sheet that help us win, all while playing great defense and having a high hockey IQ. All of that, to me, makes him worth $5M/YR. Same can be said for Laich if he is signed at $4M/YR.

Ok, I now know you do like him as much as me.  I am in full agreement.  However, DK, Marchand all need to be extended as well.  And we need a top4 dman over a fwd.  But I am still in complete agreement with you.  Any chance you want Raffi Torres as well?  :-)