Flyers may sign Stamkos to offer sheet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Flyers may sign Stamkos to offer sheet

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/9802/countdown-to-july-1-are-flyers-targeting-stamkos-whats-next-for-sullivan

Still not sure how they would do it cap wise, but kind of makes sense with the deals they made last week, but I just dont see it happening. If they made those trades with this in mind, then I have to question the intelligence level of Holmgren since Tampa can match.

Out: Richards, Carter,Powe,Clackson,3rd round pick,conditional pick
    In: Schenn,Simmonds,Voracek, Courtier, Bryzgalov,2 3rd round picks

If they get Stamkos, wich i doubt, they would still have to forfeit 2 1st round picks and a second round. I just don't get it. Bryzgalov is a good goalie but i can't see how you could trade Mike Richards to L.A and not come back with John Quick...To me thats a team thyat was a goalei away from Cup contention.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Flyers may sign Stamkos to offer sheet

I could see the Flyers going after B.Richards instead. Just give him Mike Richards jersey and you can save even more money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

schenn is a HUGE prospect. basically if theres any guy I would want whos been drafted (not counting this years draft) and isn't in the NHL yet, he would be it. I think philly made some smart moves. Briere Giroux Schenn is still a top 3 center group that most teams would kill for

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

"...a source confirmed to ESPN.com Tuesday that the Flyers internally are debating the merits of slapping an offer sheet on Stamkos come Friday"

Hey Mike.

Yeah Fred?

Can you imagine if we put an offer sheet out there for Stamkos?

Well, that would be interesting.

(That's the end of that story.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Flyers may sign Stamkos to offer sheet:
    "...a source confirmed to ESPN.com Tuesday that the Flyers internally are debating the merits of slapping an offer sheet on Stamkos come Friday" Hey Mike. Yeah Fred? Can you imagine if we put an offer sheet out there for Stamkos? Well, that would be interesting. (That's the end of that story.)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You forgot to mention that they were having some brews after work and they were at the urinals.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Seems like total hearsay, and from ESPN no less...

Really any claim like this in the media, should be accompanied by an analysis of HOW they would actually do it.  My (very limited) understanding of their cap position tells me it is not possible.  Don't they still have to sign Voracek and Simmonds? 

I am interested in what is actually plausible, not what was possibly discussed in some vague way by someone in the organiziation.

And like kelvana said, wouldn't Tampa match?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

More profanity for the sake of verisimilitude.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Stamkos is worth 4 late first round draft picks, no? I could def envision a bidding war if Stamkos is not signed before Friday. Eklund (I know, just bear with me) stated that a team looking to meet the cap floor could throw a number at him that would be impossible for Tampa to match.

http://sh.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=36569

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

That team would be the Panthers

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Flyers may sign Stamkos to offer sheet:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/9802/countdown-to-july-1-are-flyers-targeting-stamkos-whats-next-for-sullivan Still not sure how they would do it cap wise, but kind of makes sense with the deals they made last week, but I just dont see it happening. If they made those trades with this in mind, then I have to question the intelligence level of Holmgren since Tampa can match. Out: Richards, Carter,Powe,Clackson,3rd round pick,conditional pick In: Schenn,Simmonds,Voracek, Courtier, Bryzgalov,2 3rd round picks If they get Stamkos, wich i doubt, they would still have to forfeit 2 1st round picks and a second round. I just don't get it. Bryzgalov is a good goalie but i can't see how you could trade Mike Richards to L.A and not come back with John Quick...To me thats a team thyat was a goalei away from Cup contention.
    Posted by kelvana33

no the compensation would be this

Over $7,533,584 - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 1st round picks.

TB would match anything up to that IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Didn't Tampa already file for arbitration with Stamkos so noone can throw an offer sheet at him?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

In Response to Flyers may sign Stamkos to offer sheet : no the compensation would be this Over $7,533,584 - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 1st round picks. TB would match anything up to that IMO.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

Kind of hard to give 2010, 2011 1st round picks when the draft has already occured.

2011 Compensation
    from ProHockeyTalk at NBC Sports and Craig Custance of The Sporting News

• $1,034,249 or below: No compensation
    • $1,034,250 – $1,567,043: A 3rd round draft pick.
    • $1,567,044 – $3,134,088: A 2nd round draft pick.
    • $3,134,089 – $4,701,131: A 1st and 3rd round draft pick.
    • $4,701,132 – $6,268,175: A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft pick.
    • $6,268,176 – $7,835,219: Two 1st’s, a 2nd and a 3rd round draft pick.
    • Over $7,835,219: Four 1st round draft picks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Yzerman is too shrewd to allow this. If he cannot reach an agreement before 7/1, he will be looking to trade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Flyers may sign Stamkos to offer sheet : Kind of hard to give 2010, 2011 1st round picks when the draft has already occured. 2011 Compensation – from ProHockeyTalk at NBC Sports and Craig Custance of The Sporting News $1,034,249 or below: No compensation $1,034,250 – $1,567,043: A 3rd round draft pick. $1,567,044 – $3,134,088: A 2nd round draft pick. $3,134,089 – $4,701,131: A 1st and 3rd round draft pick. $4,701,132 – $6,268,175: A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft pick. $6,268,176 – $7,835,219: Two 1st’s, a 2nd and a 3rd round draft pick. Over $7,835,219: Four 1st round draft picks.
    Posted by winexpos

Solid catch guess I had just grabbed old data but the point is that it would have to be 4 first round draftpicks. I dont see TB not matching up to 7.8 as crazy as that sounds we just saw Laich pull in 4.5.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

It would be shocking to see the Flyers try to pull that off but considering what happened recently maybe possible?  It is going to be real interesting to see what happens if TB does not reach an agreement with Stamkos by 7/1.  I would imagine several teams will be lobbying to get Stamkos to sign their offer sheet.  Is $9MM a year out of the question??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

It would be shocking to see the Flyers try to pull that off but considering what happened recently maybe possible?  It is going to be real interesting to see what happens if TB does not reach an agreement with Stamkos by 7/1.  I would imagine several teams will be lobbying to get Stamkos to sign their offer sheet.  Is $9MM a year out of the question??
    Posted by LB34

If he is twice the player that Brooks Laich is then the answer is, no its not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Holgrem would be commiting GM suicide. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Can we sign him. Who has to go. I

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Since when did ESPN hire Eklund?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Stamkos is worth 4 late first round draft picks, no? I could def envision a bidding war if Stamkos is not signed before Friday. Eklund (I know, just bear with me) stated that a team looking to meet the cap floor could throw a number at him that would be impossible for Tampa to match. http://sh.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=36569
    Posted by nrguy

That's no revelation, but it's also not true.  Tampa could match any offer. They'd have all summer to get back under the Cap.

And Eklund is a dope.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Holgrem would be commiting GM suicide. Posted by islamorada

Some in Pennsylvania think Mike already has and should. Yzerman will not let this kid no matter what upside is too high. Stamkos could end up with 50 goals a season 4 out of the next 5 years.

Holmgren is going to make a run at Brad Richards put it in the bank Ya'll.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

In Response to Re: Flyers may sign Stamkos to offer sheet : That's no revelation, but it's also not true.  Tampa could match any offer. They'd have all summer to get back under the Cap. And Eklund is a dope.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot
    Right, and as you point out, Philly signing Stamkos isn't much of a reality. Hence the joke. E5.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In Response to Re: Flyers may sign Stamkos to offer sheet : That's no revelation, but it's also not true.  Tampa could match any offer. They'd have all summer to get back under the Cap. And Eklund is a dope.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Exactly, they could. Whether it would be worth it for Tampa is the question as it would have to shed some players. If a team looking to meet the cap signed him, it could be an ok deal for Tampa as it's possible that at least one of those first round picks it gets is a high one (low in the order).

When dealing in maybes and mights, I just throw out scenarios.

And Eklund's predictions are worse than Stanley's. At least Stanley is right about the important ones.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Ever. Show 4Ever's posts

Even with the trades the Flyers have made, they dodn't have the cap space to sign him.  See below...
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Stamkos-HHOF-more/45/36738

Sections
Shortcuts