For all the Kaberle bashers...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

For all the Kaberle bashers...

StanleyCup of Chowder posted a great article on Kaberle that I think all you Kabe-nay-sayers might want to read.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2011/6/2/2199913/why-tomas-kaberle-doesnt-suck-as-much-as-you-think#storyjump

VERY interesting numbers put him at the top of our defensive charts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

Re: For all the Kaberle bashers...

Great article.  The Boychuk number is a little eye-popping, especially since he's in the Top 5 on the team in ice time..  Maybe Julien needs to read the article.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to For all the Kaberle bashers...:
    [QUOTE]StanleyCup of Chowder posted a great article on Kaberle that I think all you Kabe-nay-sayers might want to read. http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2011/6/2/2199913/why-tomas-kaberle-doesnt-suck-as-much-as-you-think#storyjump VERY interesting numbers put him at the top of our defensive charts.
    Posted by bridgemanusa[/QUOTE]
    I guess the numbers support what I've been saying about Kaberle.He's not the huge liability that some have made him out to be.I thought he was easily Boston's 2nd best D in game one and I fully expect him to score some big points before this series is over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to For all the Kaberle bashers...:
    [QUOTE]StanleyCup of Chowder posted a great article on Kaberle that I think all you Kabe-nay-sayers might want to read. http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2011/6/2/2199913/why-tomas-kaberle-doesnt-suck-as-much-as-you-think#storyjump VERY interesting numbers put him at the top of our defensive charts.
    Posted by bridgemanusa[/QUOTE]

"Through the playoffs, the Bruins are more than a goal better per 60 minutes when Boychuk is sitting on the bench (+0.37 on ice vs. +1.46 off ice).  The fact that Boychuk has the third most ice time of any Bruin, and is averaging 5 minutes more of ice time per game than Kaberle is an act bordering on coaching negligence."

I think it's safe to say Boychuk has been a liability this post season.  If he's not injured or has something going on in his personal life that's causing him to suck as bad as he has, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins try to package him in a trade this summer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

We all know that numbers can be structured any way you want them. Kaberle does appear to handle the puck, and get an up ice pass initiated, better than some other Bruins defensemen. BUT. he has also bungled the puck into opponent goals, and easily is forced off of the puck. The numbers quoted are easily the result of less ice time. Boychuck is another problem altogether. Boychuck makes stupid decisions, and his GA attest to that. The problem is Claude and Houda. Claude finally realized that  bergeron/Kelly/ Peverly line is the best in the final two minutes. Why then did Houda send out Boychuck???? Kamfer is a faster skater, He handles the puck better, and while he makes rookie mistakes, they are not on the level of Boychuck's screwups. Who decides on Kamfer?? CLAUDE where are you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I've been saying all along that Kaberle picked up his play during the Tampa series. He is skating with much more authority, enthusiasm, and he still handles the puck extremely well. His weakness is in two areas:
    1. He will not shoot the puck and opponents are aware of his decision making to not shoot at all.
    2. He is very unsure around his own net. I don't know if he is having communication problems with his partner on D, but you can see it often. He will make a pass behind the net to avoid coughing it up. I think he was shell-shocked a bit from that Tampa gaffe.

Kaberle's pluses are that he can still be useful on the PP if they would just send out Krecji with Bergeron at the same time. They won't put those 2 great players together (who cares that they are both centers). If Kaberle had both to pass to, it would be tic-tac-goal. Or at least a quality opportunity would occur. 

Kaberle has risen to be at least the team's 4th best defenseman during the playoffs behind Chara-Seidenberg and Ference. McQuaid has been ok, Boychuk shaky. I don't think it would hurt to increase his playing time even at the expense of Boychuk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: For all the Kaberle bashers...:
    [QUOTE]I've been saying all along that Kaberle picked up his play during the Tampa series. He is skating with much more authority, enthusiasm, and he still handles the puck extremely well. His weakness is in two areas: 1. He will not shoot the puck and opponents are aware of his decision making to not shoot at all. 2. He is very unsure around his own net. I don't know if he is having communication problems with his partner on D, but you can see it often. He will make a pass behind the net to avoid coughing it up. I think he was shell-shocked a bit from that Tampa gaffe. Kaberle's pluses are that he can still be useful on the PP if they would just send out Krecji with Bergeron at the same time. They won't put those 2 great players together (who cares that they are both centers). If Kaberle had both to pass to, it would be tic-tac-goal. Or at least a quality opportunity would occur.  Kaberle has risen to be at least the team's 4th best defenseman during the playoffs behind Chara-Seidenberg and Ference. McQuaid has been ok, Boychuk shaky. I don't think it would hurt to increase his playing time even at the expense of Boychuk.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Boychuk has shown flashes of what he can do in these playoffs. Unfortunately, the flashes of greatness have been far overshadowed by his ill-timed pinches.The big hits he's thrown(every few games or so) can't make up for his piss-poor decision making.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

deza, i've defended Boychuk at times during the playoffs; I agree that he has thrown his weight around. But his decision making is a killer. I think if this was the regular season, he would be healthy scratched. The B's are not going to suit up a Hnidy, and I guess Kampfer is too hurt to play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]deza, i've defended Boychuk at times during the playoffs; I agree that he has thrown his weight around. But his decision making is a killer. I think if this was the regular season, he would be healthy scratched. The B's are not going to suit up a Hnidy, and I guess Kampfer is too hurt to play.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Danny, I've no doubt that Boychuk has played some tremendous games in these playoffs but I'm just looking for some middle ground with the guy.He's either played great or awful. I don't expect him to be great every night but I'd be happy enough with decent.Right now he isn't. I agree, he'd be scratched if a better option was available.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The defence of Kaberle is good, he's not as bad as everyone seems to think.  The numbers are misleading though, CJ does a great job of having Kabs-McQuaid out there in offensive opportunities and avoiding tough match-ups. It's why McQuaid had that sparkling +/- this year.  Boychuck gets stuck with tough match-ups against second lines and doesn't have the luxery of playing with Chara.  He's not perfect, but everyone can't be a superstar.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I would agree that the frustrating thing with Kaberle is not that he is a defensive liability.  He has been fine there.  What is frustrating is that he was brought in largely to remedy a specific problem -- the powerplay.  That's where the disappointment lies.  I am not ripping Kaberle and I think he should get every opportunity to play in just about every situation.  But the reality is, he has not fixed the powerplay as many had hoped.

The blame is one part Kaberle's, and one part on the fans/media for expecting him to fix a lousy powerplay by himself.  At any rate, it is a disappointment.  I think that is what the article glosses over.

Otherwise, yes, the Kaberle bashing is unwarranted.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

[QUOTE]I would agree that the frustrating thing with Kaberle is not that he is a defensive liability.  He has been fine there.  What is frustrating is that he was brought in largely to remedy a specific problem -- the powerplay.  That's where the disappointment lies.  I am not ripping Kaberle and I think he should get every opportunity to play in just about every situation.  But the reality is, he has not fixed the powerplay as many had hoped. The blame is one part Kaberle's, and one part on the fans/media for expecting him to fix a lousy powerplay by himself.  At any rate, it is a disappointment.  I think that is what the article glosses over. Otherwise, yes, the Kaberle bashing is unwarranted.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Nail on head.......he hasn't delivered in the area they specifically got him for. He's also been soft on the puck and given up some dandy goals. He's not very physical either for a defencemen.....

The one thing he does still do well is move the puck.

If he scores (or assists) on the GWG to bring back the cup for Boston......I will forgive him for everything.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I would agree that Boychuk has been worse than Kaberle. I was a little shocked at the PIM stat... on that alone I would give Kabs more minutes against Vancouver since we can't give them 6 PP opps each game or we will surely lose!

I'm still not a big Kabs fan, but I wouldn't completely be against signing him in the off season for LESS money and letting Boychuk go.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Awesome Avatar Fletch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Boychuk's dynamic appears to be one of high-risk, high-reward (i.e., going for the big hit, pinching in).  He's stll learning his position.   We all knew Kaberle's game prior to his arrival.  It was as advertised. 

Perhaps we can view the state of the Bruin PP as not so much a reflection of Kaberle but as more or a commentary on Ward's system which for the longest while does not seem to be arranged to make full use or take advantage of the skill sets of the players involved. 

Not having a down low, take-charge guy like Savard to help orchestrate things in the vicinity of the opposition's goal hasn't helped the situation.  Its rendered the Bruins to the predictable and perhaps thoroughly defendable shot from the point that must find its way through supported by a lot of time-consuming perimeter play.  It's a handicap for an otherwise solid club. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Is Boychuck's inconsistent play so surprising?He hasn't played particularly well all year long.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Is Boychuck's inconsistent play so surprising?He hasn't played particularly well all year long.
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]
    Dallas, it's not so much that Boychuk's play is surprising as it is frustrating. When he plays well he can be very effective. Sadly enough, I usually don't mind a mistake from a guy that's trying to be aggressive but Boychuk has made some choices that were just plain stupid. The timing of his last mistake couldn't have been much worse.  A guy on the ice in the final minute needs to be aware of how much time is left on the clock.There was absolutely no need for him to attempt a hit there. He needed to simply stay in position and try to keep the play to the outside. I still can't believe he did it. He will have to be better as Van won't be easy to beat without every player chipping in to the cause(like game 7 against T-Bay).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]I would agree that the frustrating thing with Kaberle is not that he is a defensive liability.  He has been fine there.  What is frustrating is that he was brought in largely to remedy a specific problem -- the powerplay.  That's where the disappointment lies.  I am not ripping Kaberle and I think he should get every opportunity to play in just about every situation.  But the reality is, he has not fixed the powerplay as many had hoped. The blame is one part Kaberle's, and one part on the fans/media for expecting him to fix a lousy powerplay by himself.  At any rate, it is a disappointment.  I think that is what the article glosses over. Otherwise, yes, the Kaberle bashing is unwarranted.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    nice new picture fletch. honestly kaberle is not a defensive liability or hasn't been since Montreal series. so fletch,dez and shupe were right on when they told me that kaberle would play better. the philly series he was solid no glaring mistakes or problems. Tampa i thought he matched up well with whoever he was out there against, i mean its the one play that sticks in peoples minds is when beurgenheim absolutely throwing him out of the way in game 4 when the bruins lost that 3-0 lead. that play is not kaberles whole work against tampa. lastly game 1 of this series i thought was his best playoff game yet. i thought defensively he couldn't of been better.
    fletch the problem i have with your power -play argument is only that its gotten way worse since his arrival. i killed kaberle not to long ago because of what your talking about. i thought he was going to be the fix it and admittedly its was wrong of me to do that cause its way more then just him. its the whole coaching/players fault. part of me wants to just caulk it up to missing a guy like savard and part of me wants krecji to be that guy but he is not. so when push comes to shove the kaberle bashing is unwarranted for his defensive play but i think warranted for is contribution on the power play.
    lastly boychuk what can u say but wow. helter skelter is a good way to describe it. the funny thing about game 1 was up to the play that lead to a goal i thought he was playing as good as johnny could. i dont know if u believe in this like i do but with boychuk know what kind of game he is going to have with the first five mins. if he gets beat for a goal or make a bad pinch or screws up on pk its pretty much how the nights going to go. if boychuk throws his weight around and is hitting everything that moves then his game seems to fall in line. a perfect example is the Philly series in every game he was good. Tampa not so much with game 6 as the icing on the cake. i believe every goal in that game was his fault. im hoping he comes out mad tomorrow like he did in game 7 against Tampa cause i though him and ference had there best game of the series against Tampa when it counted and after there worst performance in the playoffs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from atomic. Show atomic's posts

like to see a good positive thread on kaberle, he is a bruin at this point and we need to support him. we gave up a lot for him and so now unless he does something spectacular, the viewing audience gets down on him easily. truth is, he has been solid. the bungling of game 1 against Tampa (where the whole team sucked) and game four where (to be fair to kaberle) bergenheim came in with a ton steam and absolutely rolled him for the third goal aside, he has had some solid performances-game five and  seven come to mind. i only wish he would shoot more. at this point, i see recchi's continued presence on the PP a much more pressing issue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I can live with Kaberle through the playoffs, but I don't think his style fits into the team's long range plans.  He's just too soft, plain and simple.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Honestly, I have been dissapointed with Kabs, i definitely expected more....
    That being said, he is great at carrying the puck and setting up the break-out.  He is patient with the puck, and skates very well.  He is a nice compliment to our other Defensemen.

I do hope we keep Kaberle and give him another year in the system.  He definitely will not set any records for hits, but overall on balance, his play has been solid and his +/- is better than most on the team.

Give the guy some slack.  We gave up alot for him and that hurts, but he is definitely one of our top 4 or 5 defenseman and there are no better in the stands....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I can live with Kaberle through the playoffs, but I don't think his style fits into the team's long range plans.  He's just too soft, plain and simple.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

You nailed it, hang. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

The only huge complaint I have with Kaberle is not shooting the puck on the power play when he has the chance.  It doesn't have to be a booming slapper...we know he doesn't have one.  Even a quick wrister can find a hole.

But I don't want him off the PP.  He is BY FAR the best on the team at keeping the puck in the zone.  For a team that has such a problem at gaining the zone, keeping it in when you get there is essential. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Kaberle had five assists in the Tampa series.
    He is also in the Stanley cup finals.
    he has come to Boston and the bruins are in the Finals.
    Just win baby.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]The only huge complaint I have with Kaberle is not shooting the puck on the power play when he has the chance.  It doesn't have to be a booming slapper...we know he doesn't have one.  Even a quick wrister can find a hole. But I don't want him off the PP.  He is BY FAR the best on the team at keeping the puck in the zone.  For a team that has such a problem at gaining the zone, keeping it in when you get there is essential. 
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

jalvis - Agreed.  No one on the B's straddles the offensive blue line like him.  On those rare moments as a Leaf when he has unleashed his slap/wrist shot, its been hard and accurate.  What can you do?  He's rather dish it to someone.