For those of us who go back a few years, Guy Lapointe's number was retired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

For those of us who go back a few years, Guy Lapointe's number was retired

He only played 1 season with the Bruins, but was pretty much Brad Park's equivelent back in the day. Class act, just like Jacques LaPerierre and Larry Robinson, and unlike almost all Habs today (except maybe Carey Price) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/lapointe-to-be-reunited-with-savard-robinson-when-habs-retire-no-5/article19252178/" rel="nofollow">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/lapointe-to-be-reunited-with-savard-robinson-when-habs-retire-no-5/article19252178/

I thought I was wrong once, but I realized I was mistaken.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: For those of us who go back a few years, Guy Lapointe's number was retired

The only thing i remember about his time in Boston,was the uproar over him wanting to wear Dit Clapper's number #5,Bobby Orr saying something to the effect,if the B's bring down Clapper's number they can bring mine down too.I think he ended up wearing #27 or something.Can't believe Harry Sinden actually considered acquiescing to Lapointe's request.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Most vivid memory from The Game - Lapointe pi55ed in someone's Coke.  A teammate, not a journalist or management type.  Think it was Shutt.

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Most vivid memory from The Game - Lapointe pi55ed in someone's Coke.  A teammate, not a journalist or management type.  Think it was Shutt.

Are you not entertained?!?!

[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm.....maybe Lapointe was actually one of the good Scabs,never liked Shutt and his crooked helmet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

The only thing i remember about his time in Boston,was the uproar over him wanting to wear Dit Clapper's number #5,Bobby Orr saying something to the effect,if the B's bring down Clapper's number they can bring mine down too.I think he ended up wearing #27 or something.Can't believe Harry Sinden actually considered acquiescing to Lapointe's request.

[object HTMLDivElement]

hockey-reference.com shows him wearing both #5 & 27 as a Bruin....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe he actually wore #5 for awhile and then the big brouhaha broke out and the Bruins came to their senses.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Hockey reference is wrong.  He never wore #5 for Boston.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Hockey reference is wrong.  He never wore #5 for Boston.  

[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. Hockey reference is not wrong. 

He wore #5 for a few games then was switched to #27 after protests from Dit Clapper's family, the public and Bobby Orr.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Relying on memory I thought he wore #2 for a while before people complained and then I thought he switched to #22.

But the references say I'm wrong.  Just like I misremembered the Neely goal on Roy, I'll forever have the slightly different scenario stuck in my head.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Relying on memory I thought he wore #2 for a while before people complained and then I thought he switched to #22.

But the references say I'm wrong.  Just like I misremembered the Neely goal on Roy, I'll forever have the slightly different scenario stuck in my head.

[/QUOT

I remembered the stink involved with Lapointe wearing that number for the Bruins. 

Taking the word of a boy ( then around 10 years old ) saying it never happened needed to be corrected.

For further info to verify this, all one has to do is research Dit Clapper. It happened.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think they should unretire numbers after 100 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I won't care if someone wears number 4 seventy years from now.  I don't remember watching Orr play and I'll be 112 years old in seventy years.  Jerseys with three numbers on the back will look stupid and that is what will have to happen eventually.

-GNB, King Of The Forum

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I won't care if someone wears number 4 seventy years from now.  I don't remember watching Orr play and I'll be 112 years old in seventy years.  Jerseys with three numbers on the back will look stupid and that is what will have to happen eventually.

-GNB, King Of The Forum

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

if you had seen #4 play you'd agree that no other player would be worthy of wearing that number ever again.... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]

if you had seen #4 play you'd agree that no other player would be worthy of wearing that number ever again.... 

[/QUOTE]
    I doubt you'll be around in 2079 to sign a "keep number 4 retired" petition.

-GNB, King Of The Forum

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Come on guys, surely you remember? Harry Sinden got the approval of the Clapper family so Guy could wear it.

check out this photo of the 83-84 Bruins defense corp:

http://siphotos.tumblr.com/post/20541958120/mike-milbury-gord-kluzak-coach-gary-doak-randy

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wow, imagine that.  I'm wrong.  Isn't the first time.  Won't be the last!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, imagine that.  I'm wrong.  Isn't the first time.  Won't be the last!

[/QUOTE]

Huh.......can't imagine that at all.