For those who actaully play the sport of ice hockey.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogmonsta. Show dogmonsta's posts

For those who actaully play the sport of ice hockey.

Does anyone agree with me that the Bruins might have an easier time now that they got past a MUCH faster team? I feel they play better against other grinder checking teams and have trouble keeping up with the faster forwards?

Im not afraid of Pittsburgh or the Rangers. Ottawa does frighten me a bit because their forecheck is WAY fast and can get on our d before we can play that tic tack puck possesion game. Rangers is going to be a bloodbath I think just because the teams are so similar in terms of style of play and roster. Yes Id take Krecji over Nash any day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: For those who actaully play the sport of ice hockey.

In response to dogmonsta's comment:

Does anyone agree with me that the Bruins might have an easier time now that they got past a MUCH faster team? I feel they play better against other grinder checking teams and have trouble keeping up with the faster forwards?

Im not afraid of Pittsburgh or the Rangers. Ottawa does frighten me a bit because their forecheck is WAY fast and can get on our d before we can play that tic tack puck possesion game. Rangers is going to be a bloodbath I think just because the teams are so similar in terms of style of play and roster. Yes Id take Krecji over Nash any day.

I've been in a similar situation before. Got past a pesky team that we knew we should beat but gave us a scare. However, we didn't have the entire left side of our D hurt. That complicates things. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yes, I play.  I disagree that Toronto was much faster.  Seguin might be the fastest player out of both teams - yes, he just might be faster than Kessel.

I don't have my hopes up against the Rangers, they are stacked.  And so are the Pens.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Yes, I play.  I disagree that Toronto was much faster.  Seguin might be the fastest player out of both teams - yes, he just might be faster than Kessel.

I don't have my hopes up against the Rangers, they are stacked.  And so are the Pens.

he isn't faster than kessel. He's quicker than Kessel though. Kessel has better straight line speed, arguably the best in the league. Seguin is more explosive though. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

I personally think that speed can trump physicallity. You can't hit what you can't catch.

More physicallity aside, my biggest concern is the difference between Reimer and Lundquist. Starting with Lundquist knows who to catch a puck, not bat it back out infront of the crease with his trapper. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Use to play all the time until my late teens. Speed is important but I wouldn't necessarily trade a couple of big crease clearing defensemen for it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Started when I was about 5 and played competitively till my late teens, and then some organized mens hockey after that. Haven't played for about 3 yrs now....got tired of chasing 20 somethings arond the ice. Loved playing in tournaments and playoff games and felt the joy of winning an Ontario Bantam "B" Championship and will never forget it. Also remember losing some tough fought series as well and the feeling that left.

Bruins were fortunate in this series, very fortunate. Anyone who says they weren't, is being truthful. They almost went golfing early this year. I just hope the game 7 OT victory will inspire them for the rest of playoffs to play with the killer instinct from the start and not get complacent again. They have the talent, no question.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I started skating in the late 70's.  There hasn't been a year since that I haven't been on the ice.  I played competitvely through college.

It doesn't make me smarter or more knowledgable than someone who has been watching the game for the past 30 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

The main impact Toronto's speed had, IMO, was on their forecheck.  They were quick on the Bruins D and pressured the wingers on the wall and forced a lot of turnovers.  I do not foresee NYR having as good of a forecheck and the B's should be able to setup the breakout better/cleaner.

Personally I think this series will go the way of the Bruins PK.  They have to do a better job on the PK.  Toronto had too much success on the powerplay and it caused large momentum shifts.

They also need to find ways to get shots to the net, quality shots, be patient and let seems open up or plays further develop.  NYR block a lot of shots, but that also means they over commit to the shot.

They do play better against the physical teams if only because it gets them to play with more of an edge.  Of course they were out hit by Toronto for the most part....so maybe not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ErnestoGiove. Show ErnestoGiove's posts

This series will be the Rangers getting just enough past Rask and the Bruins having trouble getting anything past King Henry. Look for 7 - 1 goal games. Look for 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 games and really flip of the coin. The Bruins will be without Seidenberg, Ference and possibly Redden - but the kids came into that Game 7 and survived. I think they can survive anything. These teams will match each other - but the Rangers are a different team on the road than they are at MSG and the Bruins have home ice. I think the B's can match the Rangers speed and will be their toughest test going to the cup finals. If Pittsburgh can get past Ottawa, Bruins beat Pensguins because their goaltending is bad.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Rangers have given the Bruins a hard time the last couple of years, given the Bruins scoring problems especially on the PP its hard to think you will beat Lundqvist and the Rags but i also didnt think they would win with 5 minutes left last nite either

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Seguin-Haglin = speed & it's a wash. Seguin has better puck control, but straight ahead speed not many are catching Hags.

With the B's playing without a  possible 3 of their top 6 D. it's going to be tough, but we all thought that TO's D was a weakness with some of their inexperienced guys. I think Callahan will be huge in this series & will give the B's d fits most nights. Chara is going to have his hands full chasing Nash. He hasn't done a lot so far, but he can break out any time.

The B's second line is really going to have be a difference maker in this series. The KHL line against this Ranger team won't be as huge a factor. Reason I say this is because their game is mostly using their strength along the boards. The Rangers collapse hard in their zone. It's going to be hard for this line to get the time & space to be effective. They also are the best in the business of blocking shots!The Rangers weakness is defending off the rush. That's why Bergeron's line really needs to use their speed, transition & puck skills to expose this. Make Lundqvist move laterally A LOT! If you give him any time to see the play & read it? Reimer will be forgotten really quickly. The B's are going against one of the best on the planet, if not the best! 

The other thing is that the B's d-men are going to have to be sneaky about pinching. Looking back on past games against the Rangers. I bet I'm not far off when I say about 40% of the B's goals against the King have come from our d-men.

The one positive is that there's no shoot-outs to decide these games. This Ranger team doesn't have the same experience as the B's when it comes to OT dramatics. This team thrives off their goalie being amazing at shoot-outs to get them the extra point. This won't be happening. 

B's in 6 & Bergeron's line shines! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to ErnestoGiove's comment:

This series will be the Rangers getting just enough past Rask and the Bruins having trouble getting anything past King Henry. Look for 7 - 1 goal games. Look for 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 games and really flip of the coin. The Bruins will be without Seidenberg, Ference and possibly Redden - but the kids came into that Game 7 and survived. I think they can survive anything. These teams will match each other - but the Rangers are a different team on the road than they are at MSG and the Bruins have home ice. I think the B's can match the Rangers speed and will be their toughest test going to the cup finals. If Pittsburgh can get past Ottawa, Bruins beat Pensguins because their goaltending is bad.

I'd say their goal tending with Fluery has been bad. Vokoun has shown himself to be better when called upon. I think the fire power of the Pittsburgh is what scares me. Unless they all go cold/Rask gets in their heads, they will be tough to limit goal wise.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 4everbruins' comment:

I'd say their goal tending with Fluery has been bad. Vokoun has shown himself to be better when called upon. I think the fire power of the Pittsburgh is what scares me. Unless they all go cold/Rask gets in their heads, they will be tough to limit goal wise.

I actually at this juncture would rather be playing the Pens then the Rangers! I think the KHL line will demolish the Pens D. And Vokoun has been better than MAF, but he hasn't been out worldly like Henry has. As far as the fire power? If Rask continues his stellar play I don't see an issue. And do you honestly think that the B's players aren't going to be constantly reminded about Iggy & how he snubbed them? Pwwwtttt! Book it as MOTIVATION! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'ver played since I was 4. Thats 33 years. Go look at my Playoff Pool Prediction Thread.

Like I tell my co-workers, just because I show up to work everyday doesnt mean I'm any good at it or know what I'm doing!

Look at Nite, that dinosaur has played since the stone ages, and my 8 year old daughter knows more about goaltending than old dick!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to 4everbruins' comment:

I actually at this juncture would rather be playing the Pens then the Rangers! I think the KHL line will demolish the Pens D. And Vokoun has been better than MAF, but he hasn't been out worldly like Henry has. As far as the fire power? If Rask continues his stellar play I don't see an issue. And do you honestly think that the B's players aren't going to be constantly reminded about Iggy & how he snubbed them? Pwwwtttt! Book it as MOTIVATION! 

I see the Rangers as a very tough team to beat, but not unbeatable. Penguins with Crosby, Malkin, Iginla, Dupis, Kunitz, etc. etc.......that's a lot of skill across the lines to deal with. I hope the B's do use the Iginla snub to draw motivation from as well when the time comes.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

No.

I don't think Toronto is much faster than the Bruins, if at all.  The Bruins have great team speed.

I do think that Toronto changed their style to a more habs-like game for this series.  It's not speed that kills the Bruins, but a passive game.  When the Bruins are emotional and engaged - especially guys like Lucic, Krejci and Marchand - they are an incredible powerhouse.  If you play them passive and don't get them angry, they become complacent and weak.

The Habs give the Bruins fits because they don't engage them in the phsycal aspects of the game.  The Leafs have played right into the Bruins hands over the past few years by also being physical and exciting but just not as capable.  By not poking the bear from game 2 onward, the Leafs made it tough for the Bruins to play their game...but I wouldn't say the Leafs were especially built to beat the Bruins.

I don't especially like the match up with the Rangers.  New York is playing excellent commited defence and have a goalie who really makes it hard for the B's.  I do like that they traded Gaborik becuase it could be easier for Chara and Bergeron to match up with Richards and Nash.  On the plus side, the Rangers are passionate and physical which should get the Bruins fired up and playing at a top level.  I think the Bruins are a better team than New York, but I don't think they match up in style any better or worse than the Leafs.

Also, I think it's kind of rude to direct a question at those of us who have played hockey.  I dissagree with 9/10 of the opinions of guys I play hockey with and don't think playing the game makes you smart or a good judge of anything.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

No.

I don't think Toronto is much faster than the Bruins, if at all.  The Bruins have great team speed.

I do think that Toronto changed their style to a more habs-like game for this series.  It's not speed that kills the Bruins, but a passive game.  When the Bruins are emotional and engaged - especially guys like Lucic, Krejci and Marchand - they are an incredible powerhouse.  If you play them passive and don't get them angry, they become complacent and weak.

The Habs give the Bruins fits because they don't engage them in the phsycal aspects of the game.  The Leafs have played right into the Bruins hands over the past few years by also being physical and exciting but just not as capable.  By not poking the bear from game 2 onward, the Leafs made it tough for the Bruins to play their game...but I wouldn't say the Leafs were especially built to beat the Bruins.

I don't especially like the match up with the Rangers.  New York is playing excellent commited defence and have a goalie who really makes it hard for the B's.  I do like that they traded Gaborik becuase it could be easier for Chara and Bergeron to match up with Richards and Nash.  On the plus side, the Rangers are passionate and physical which should get the Bruins fired up and playing at a top level.  I think the Bruins are a better team than New York, but I don't think they match up in style any better or worse than the Leafs.

Also, I think it's kind of rude to direct a question at those of us who have played hockey.  I dissagree with 9/10 of the opinions of guys I play hockey with and don't think playing the game makes you smart or a good judge of anything.

Excellent

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I'ver played since I was 4. Thats 33 years. Go look at my Playoff Pool Prediction Thread.

Like I tell my co-workers, just because I show up to work everyday doesnt mean I'm any good at it or know what I'm doing!

Look at Nite, that dinosaur has played since the stone ages, and my 8 year old daughter knows more about goaltending than old dick!

HEY! Just because my first set of pads were Sears catalogues doesn't make me that old! As far as my goalie knowledge? Well I won't argue I learned how to say things a lot by watching Pet Detective! lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

No.

Might be Campbell chasing this guy around. Torts has him on the 4th line.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I started skating in the late 70's.  There hasn't been a year since that I haven't been on the ice.  I played competitvely through college.

It doesn't make me smarter or more knowledgable than someone who has been watching the game for the past 30 years.

Not necessarily more knowledgable NAS, but playing thru experiences certainly helps you analyze how to handle different situations better. You know yourself how there's so many different knee jerk reactions that get typed up here during a game. Some should know better, but don't for some reason. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

HEY! Just because my first set of pads were Sears catalogues doesn't make me that old! As far as my goalie knowledge? Well I won't argue I learned how to say things a lot by watching Pet Detective! lol

Wow, Sears!! I got my first set at Ashmont Discount Hardware. The old Coopers that weighed about 40lbs each filled with horse hair..They were way too big, but it didnt stop me from wearing them. I looked like Corey Crawford does today.

Wasn't it TT who said he got his first pair at a Pet Shop in Michigan?

First regular stick was the wooden one with the white plastic blade that said Bourque 7 on the shaft. I still have a Gretzky red titan that is hanging in my basment.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Wow, Sears!! I got my first set at Ashmont Discount Hardware. The old Coopers that weighed about 40lbs each filled with horse hair..They were way too big, but it didnt stop me from wearing them. I looked like Corey Crawford does today.

Wasn't it TT who said he got his first pair at a Pet Shop in Michigan?

First regular stick was the wooden one with the white plastic blade that said Bourque 7 on the shaft. I still have a Gretzky red titan that is hanging in my basment.

No that's not true I'm a little younger than that. 45 yrs old & my first set of pads were of the  leather & deerhide variety. As you know Kel I still play against a lot of younger guys. So, a couple of yrs ago I was doing the scraping my crease before a game. This 20 yr old on my team asked what I was doing. I told him I do that to soak up the water to keep the pads lighter. He said "these pads soak up water?"I stopped & looked up at him and said "I'm really too old to be playing with you guys huh!" lol  Even though I wear the new synthetic type (modern) I still was doing something that I could've stopped doing back in the late 80's. 

BTW- I bet that Titan stick is worth some coin. Hang onto that & keep it in a cool place if it isn't all dried up yet. 

Sections
Shortcuts