Forget Hall & Seguin - Who wins rookie of the year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Forget Hall & Seguin - Who wins rookie of the year?

With the top 2 picks of last year's draft not living up to all the hype & expectations, any thoughts on who wins the Calder Trophy? ( Although Hall's 22 goals are good, his injury will likely cost him a nominee position) I think it will boil down to Jeff Skinner, Michael Grabner & Logan Couture with honourable mention going to Tyler Ennis. I think Skinner takes it in a close vote over Grabner. Anybody else....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

Re: Forget Hall & Seguin - Who wins rookie of the year?

Skinner would be my guess.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

P.K. Subban has to be in the mix.  I would give it to Skkiiiiiiiiinnnerr.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

grabner. 31g 17a +17 for grabner versus 25g 28a -1 for skinner. ill take the 6 more goals and the +18 difference over 11 assist's anyday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

ok Hall and Seguin forgotten.

Hands down, no brainer, everyone and their mother would agree.

Zack Hamill

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

By the Skinner of his teeth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Michael Grabner, has had a great year on a terrible team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Forget Hall & Seguin - Who wins rookie of the year?:
    With the top 2 picks of last year's draft not living up to all the hype & expectations, any thoughts on who wins the Calder Trophy? ( Although Hall's 22 goals are good, his injury will likely cost him a nominee position) I think it will boil down to Jeff Skinner, Michael Grabner & Logan Couture with honourable mention going to Tyler Ennis. I think Skinner takes it in a close vote over Grabner. Anybody else....
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Hall looked exactly like advertised before he got hurt.  Explosive scorer.

Skinner wins the Calder this year, though, kid can flat out score...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Skinner and it's not close. To see what he's done on a team that can't score, play like a veteran, etc, is impressive.

Grabner would be second choice, but Skinner plays a better two way game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If I had a vote it would be Logan Couture 27  21  +15 on a very, very good team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Forget Hall & Seguin - Who wins rookie of the year?:
    grabner. 31g 17a +17 for grabner versus 25g 28a -1 for skinner. ill take the 6 more goals and the +18 difference over 11 assist's anyday.
    Posted by puckhog9966

Good point Puckhog, Grabner is very deserving as well,  both players make good cases.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fcukhabs. Show fcukhabs's posts

go with are boy marchy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Skinner and it's not close. To see what he's done on a team that can't score, play like a veteran, etc, is impressive. Grabner would be second choice, but Skinner plays a better two way game.
    Posted by BBReigns

Did you see their +/-, it looks to me Skinner needs some work defensively. Grabner being in the + on that team is remarkable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

couture, crawford, skinner finalists

carlson for the caps has been amazing and is used as a shut down dman.  that would win the argument for me but he doesnt have the pts. 
    PK should be in the mix.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i knew it... couldn't go one day in this forum w/o mentioning PK. in my opinion he's not even close to being in the conversation for calder trophy honors.  he's -3 as a defenseman (not good), has over 100 penalty minutes (leads his team-not good)- he does have a whopping 11 goals- 3 of which he just got in one game. big z has more goals, and he's not an offensive d-man- he's a shut down d-man. and oh yeah, he puts on a habs jersey every night(i might be a LITTLE biased).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

couture, crawford, skinner finalists carlson for the caps has been amazing and is used as a shut down dman.  that would win the argument for me but he doesnt have the pts.  PK should be in the mix.
    Posted by shuperman

Grabner-traded-waived-R.O.Y.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

couture, crawford, skinner finalists carlson for the caps has been amazing and is used as a shut down dman.  that would win the argument for me but he doesnt have the pts.  PK should be in the mix.
    Posted by shuperman

I agree with this list. If PK would settle down, skate, shoot, check like he can. Keep his yap shut, stop acting like he's this tough guy. I'd put him in the top 3. However, with his antics & acting so childish NO WAY IN HECK does he get even a consideration from me!
    However, I am glad he acts like this while he plays for Montreal, because even playing like a dunghead he's effective! If/when he matures, he's going to be even more dangerous! UHG! I think I'm gonna be sick now!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

shupe, how can you not even have Grabner as a finalist?  I mean, kudos for recognizing that Crawford deserves a nod for saving the 'Hawks, but to put Couture on there when Grabner's outscoring him doesn't make sense to me.  I guess the argument is that Couture plays on a playoff team, so he's getting less opportunity to produce, but that's pretty much countered by Grabner having less talent to play with and facing heavier checking on a team with limited threats.

I would be amused to see Grabner get the nod just so I could envision all of the Dale Tallon acolytes gnashing their teeth and speaking in tongues.  So clear now that Tallon knows one way to try and build a winner - stink like a dead fish wearing cheap cologne for as long as it takes to draft 3-4 studs. 

But that's another thread.  I think Skinner gets it as points leader and the only guy in the running who's a true frosh.  Grabner's 23, Couture will be 22 on Monday.  Crawford 26.  Subban closing in on 22.  Ennis 21.  Along the same line of thought, I might put Fowler ahead of Subban on the ballot - true frosh plays more minutes that Subban on average, takes significantly fewer penalties, and has only three fewer points.  Horrible plus/minus keeps him off - and Subban.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

i knew it... couldn't go one day in this forum w/o mentioning PK. in my opinion he's not even close to being in the conversation for calder trophy honors.  he's -3 as a defenseman (not good), has over 100 penalty minutes (leads his team-not good)- he does have a whopping 11 goals- 3 of which he just got in one game. big z has more goals, and he's not an offensive d-man- he's a shut down d-man. and oh yeah, he puts on a habs jersey every night(i might be a LITTLE biased).
    Posted by adkbeesfan

-Hal Gill, perhaps the Habs best defensive defenseman this year, is a -1. +/- is the least telling stat in hockey.
    -Chara may be a "shut down defenseman" but he has 8 PP goals. He's not out there to shut down anyone on the PP. He is therefore a lousy basis of comparison if your point is "Look! Subban the offensive defenseman is being outscored by Chara the stay-at-home guy!"
    -104 PIMs is far too many for Subban. He takes some really dumb ones.

Skinner deserves rookie of the year. Subban, however, has been VERY good for the Habs and should be in the Top 5 vote getters. I don't think he should win the award, though....I'd vote for Skinner.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Forget Hall & Seguin - Who wins rookie of the year? : -Hal Gill, perhaps the Habs best defensive defenseman this year, is a -1. +/- is the least telling stat in hockey. -Chara may be a "shut down defenseman" but he has 8 PP goals. He's not out there to shut down anyone on the PP. He is therefore a lousy basis of comparison if your point is "Look! Subban the offensive defenseman is being outscored by Chara the stay-at-home guy!" -104 PIMs is far too many for Subban. He takes some really dumb ones. Skinner deserves rookie of the year. Subban, however, has been VERY good for the Habs and should be in the Top 5 vote getters. I don't think he should win the award, though....I'd vote for Skinner.
    Posted by Kennedy97

I wouldn't say +/- is the least telling stat at all.Obviously there are more important stats but it's still somewhat indicative of your 5 on 5 play.I'll agree though,there are alot of good players that finish the year under par(Lidstrom is -1 right now).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

...and all things considered, I wouldn't lay into Hall and Seguin.  Hall was really starting to fly when he decided to earn some respect, and while Seguin's point total is about half what I thought he'd get, I don't blame him for the hype being unrealistic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

we forgot to add Reimer to the list.......lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Forget Hall & Seguin - Who wins rookie of the year? : Did you see their +/-, it looks to me Skinner needs some work defensively. Grabner being in the + on that team is remarkable.
    Posted by callodthedom19

Skinner is on a team that gives up the most shots in the league and is also the youngest player in the NHL.

VERY impressive.

If you are looking at a +/- as a differentiator, then that should tell you are scraping the bottom of the barrel for that.

+/- has a lot to do with what line you play on, how good your team is and your team defense, obviously.

Carolina's PP, for example, has scored twice in the last 70+ attempts.

Any team that allows that many shots on net, is lucky to even be sniffing the playoffs. Cam Ward makes sure of that.

It's Skinner and pretty much was by the All Star break.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Has to be down to 

Grabner
    Skinner
    Couture

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

grabner 31 goals right now is hard to overlook...funny, no goalies or d-men in the mix.

Sections
Shortcuts