Forget Hall & Seguin - Who wins rookie of the year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Forget Hall & Seguin - Who wins rookie of the year?

I'd give it to Reimer - he came into the league late in the season, but has played fantastically since.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Grabner is 23 years old and has played in the pros before, like Vancouver last year. 

I see Skinner as far more impressive simply because he never set foot on NHL ice until this year.  The others have.

He had to adjust to everything right away and came out of the gate playing like a veteran.

This reminds of 1989 when Roenick was hosed for rookie of the year and that Sergeoi Makarov guy from Calgary won it.

Just ridiculous logic when you consider the degree of difficulty in comparing Roenick as a true rookie and Makarov, a Red Army Team veteran.

He defected, played in the NHL and had a great year. Doesn't mean he is a rookie to pro hockey, though.  He was just new to the NHL.

Roenick's first full season in '89/'90 was very impressive after just a minor call up the year before.

It came down to Makarov's better stats, a a newbie, and the truest "rookie" in Roenick. 

It's Skinner and it really shouldn't be close.  Coutoure?  I don't see that.

Marchand is also penalized like Garbner for playing last year. As is Couture.

Skinner is the only true rookie.  That's why his numbers are more impressive, not to mention the weak offensive/defensive cast he has around him, comparably.

Skinner

Honorable Mentions:  Grabner, Couture, Marchand

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Fowler's also a true rookie playing second pairing minutes in Anaheim and putting up pretty impressive scoring numbers - same as Carlson even though he's 23 months younger.

If you don't see Couture as close you weren't paying attention when he was keeping the Sharks from going belly up while the big line floundered.  At 23, Grabner's hardly the seasoned Makarov, and in the end, the criteria for the award don't recognize a difference between true rookies (i.e. no pro experience or even 1st season post-draft) and first year players.  It explicitly focuses on guys who haven't played a season - I can't remember the official cut off but it's high.  So, while I've already said I agree that you have to give Skinner props for his performance as a teenaged pro, in his case it's icing on the cake - like the coin flip at the end of the tie-breaker list.  He's in the discussion on performance regardless of how you frame it.

Incidentally, Adam McQuaid is +27 and has 13 points despite being thought of as a prototypical stay at home D.  And he'd get the award for best fighter among eligible rookies (no pure goons) - at least, over Hall.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Grabnerd

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Book,

Grabner should be in play and I actually forgot to mention him in with the 3 guys I listed as my favorites. 
    Couture- thrust into prime time and has how many GWG's?  And I have had the GWG argument before but its a stat.  he basically saved SJ along with Niemi.
    Skinner- hard to argue that one either.
    Crawford- no one mentions him but he has had a great season on a stanley cup winning team in flux. 

PK- plays  alot of minutes and plays well.  after a slow start he really picked his game up.
    Carlson- my unsung pick b/c he is the teams shutdown dman and plays pp and looks like a true top 4 dman.
    Grabner- should have been there just for the fact of pts.  a lot of meaningless pts.  You ask me why Couture over Grabner.  That is my reason.  Which can be flipped into the Hall debate. 

My pick is Skinner.  Although I think the most deserving is Carlson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattman1447. Show mattman1447's posts

I'll take Marchand.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Don't forget about a rookie that just happens to have his team in 1st place in the Eastern Conference, Sergei Bobrovsky.

I don't think anyone expected a rookie goalie to lead his team to the best record.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: Forget Hall & Seguin - Who wins rookie of the year?:
    Don't forget about a rookie that just happens to have his team in 1st place in the Eastern Conference, Sergei Bobrovsky. I don't think anyone expected a rookie goalie to lead his team to the best record.
    Posted by winexpos

Yikes...did you see Bob last night? Horrible is an understatement. Glad Philly decided not to upgrade that position, it truly is their weak spot and I think will be their downfall. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketdan9. Show rocketdan9's posts

Skinner. Its a no brainner. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Why are Grabner's points meaningless?  I presume because the Isles stink?  If so, I wouldn't agree - given the black hole that franchise has been, a guy showing up out of nowhere like Grabner and giving them reason to believe is a slump buster of the highest order.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Book, Grabner should be in play and I actually forgot to mention him in with the 3 guys I listed as my favorites.  Couture- thrust into prime time and has how many GWG's?  And I have had the GWG argument before but its a stat.  he basically saved SJ along with Niemi. Skinner- hard to argue that one either. Crawford- no one mentions him but he has had a great season on a stanley cup winning team in flux.  PK- plays  alot of minutes and plays well.  after a slow start he really picked his game up. Carlson- my unsung pick b/c he is the teams shutdown dman and plays pp and looks like a true top 4 dman. Grabner- should have been there just for the fact of pts.  a lot of meaningless pts.  You ask me why Couture over Grabner.  That is my reason.  Which can be flipped into the Hall debate.  My pick is Skinner.  Although I think the most deserving is Carlson.
    Posted by shuperman

It's not really Grabner's fault his goals were meaningless.He want on a tear after winning fastest skater at the all-star break.Seemed like he was scoring every night for awhile there.Interested in seeing if he can do it for a whole season next year.Another high pick coming so the NYI may not be a joke for too much longer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

dez,

The NYI will always be a joke with Snow there.   They have some nice young talent.  But they also had Chara and Spezza and Luongo.
    Now thats a spicey meatball

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

dez, The NYI will always be a joke with Snow there.   They have some nice young talent.  But they also had Chara and Spezza and Luongo. Now thats a spicey meatball
    Posted by shuperman

You can't blame Snow for those deals(Milbury) but I'll admit he's had some issues of his own.

Sections
Shortcuts