Forgot about this: What was Ference doing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Forgot about this: What was Ference doing?

Krejci throws a big hit.  Boullion doesn't like it and goes to Krejci for a fight.  Ference, as he has done many times before, gets in between the two and drops the gloves.

Then Ference spends 20 seconds trying to take Boullion's jersey off.

And that's that.

In order to get the room they want, they have to dole out some punishment.  Yes, Ference may have gotten an extra two, or even 2-5-10, but that's what it takes sometimes.  He didn't hesitate last year (I think it was last year) when he came charging in from the blue line with fists flying. 

I think this shows more of Julien's approach these days.  When is the last time a Bruin fought out of anger or payback?  Chara vs. Emelin, right?  And before that? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Forgot about this: What was Ference doing?

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Krejci throws a big hit.  Boullion doesn't like it and goes to Krejci for a fight.  Ference, as he has done many times before, gets in between the two and drops the gloves.

Then Ference spends 20 seconds trying to take Boullion's jersey off.

And that's that.

In order to get the room they want, they have to dole out some punishment.  Yes, Ference may have gotten an extra two, or even 2-5-10, but that's what it takes sometimes.  He didn't hesitate last year (I think it was last year) when he came charging in from the blue line with fists flying. 

I think this shows more of Julien's approach these days.  When is the last time a Bruin fought out of anger or payback?  Chara vs. Emelin, right?  And before that? 

NAS, i mentioned the entire in your face approach is gone.  They were nasty.  I find them soft.  This team scared others teams.  They mixed it up after whistles and teams didnt want to be "bullied".  This team is best when doing this.  

I have no idea what ference was doing.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

IMO it is directly related to the powerless play.  If CJ reduces the number of penalties taken by the team then there is more 5 on 5 hockey.  Generally, up until recently, that would bode well for the B's.  The actual number of penalties taken by the Bs is in line with the rest of the NHL.  My thinking is CJ has stated basically what you are inferring, don't take penalites.  

Montreal did focus imo on Krejci as a target last night.  Emelin though picked on the wrong target! Hehe

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For those who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9O1TOXw3cA

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

For those who missed it:

NAS, it's puzzling why Ference is tugging on Boullion's jersey when it was already over his head instead of wailing away on him at that point but I like the aggressive element Krejci's frequently brought to his game so far this year that stimulated this instance.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Im at a loss for words on this one.

Whats does aggressive forchecking do ? Turnovers

What does keeping your feet moving do ? Draws penatlies

What does finsishing your check do ? Wears the opponent down.

3 key areas the bruins are not doing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

What does finishing your check do ? Wears the opponent down.

Finish them?  They don't even start them.  This team has been a bunch of bull fighters for most of the season.  Ole! 

Top hitters up front:

Lucic:  119
    Thornton:  57
    Campbell:  55

All other forwards throw less than one check per game.   Two of those three are fourth liners.  So, eight out of the nine Top 9 forwards have less than one check recorded per game.  (Yes, I know it's not an exact number, but it's a good measuring stick.)

Nancy Hockey!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to uppercut's comment:

Krejci has been more agressive than Lucy this year thats a problem lucy doesnt even hit anymore 

Lucic leads the team with 119 hits and is 13th overalll in the league.  Back to from where you came!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

NO hitting, should get measured for figure skates. Some of these guys think they are finesse players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Krejci has been more agressive than Lucy this year thats a problem lucy doesnt even hit anymore 

Lucic leads the team with 119 hits and is 13th overalll in the league.  Back to from where you came!

NAS - I know you like to keep reminding us how many hits Fat has but if you wanna break it down further, it averages out to about 3 or 4 hits per game. That's maybe one hit every five or six shifts. Big deal. For someone who has become a lazy, non scoring, emotionless, "first" winger, that ain't enough. And lately, Krejci has played more agressive than Lucic. That's pretty sad.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

For those who missed it:

NAS, it's puzzling why Ference is tugging on Boullion's jersey when it was already over his head instead of wailing away on him at that point but I like the aggressive element Krejci's frequently brought to his game so far this year that stimulated this instance.

Krejci definitely has an edge this year. Ference baffled me. When I watched it last night I thought it was just one of those lightweight fights. Watched it again and still not sure. Ference probably doesn't even know what was going on!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

What does finishing your check do ? Wears the opponent down.

Finish them?  They don't even start them.  This team has been a bunch of bull fighters for most of the season.  Ole! 

Top hitters up front:

Lucic:  119
    Thornton:  57
    Campbell:  55

All other forwards throw less than one check per game.   Two of those three are fourth liners.  So, eight out of the nine Top 9 forwards have less than one check recorded per game.  (Yes, I know it's not an exact number, but it's a good measuring stick.)

Nancy Hockey!

That is a great post.

I've been too lazy to break it down, but, wow is that eye opening.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

For those who missed it:

That he's more physical is fine but I'd prefer his bigger linemates dishing out the kind of hits he did on Gallagher. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Nolakanookie's comment:

Krejci definitely has an edge this year. Ference baffled me. When I watched it last night I thought it was just one of those lightweight fights. Watched it again and still not sure. Ference probably doesn't even know what was going on!

Nola, as you saw Ference had Boullion on his knees, his jersey over his head and with both of his hands FREE yet for reasons known only to him doesn't throw one punch.  Boullion should send him a thank you card for letting him off the hook.  That's nuts.  Defies logic in terms of whom the Boston Bruins are said to be but haven't been for a while. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

In response to Nolakanookie's comment:

Nola, as you saw Ference had Boullion on his knees, his jersey over his head and with both of his hands FREE yet for reasons known only to him doesn't throw one punch.  Boullion should send him a thank you card for letting him off the hook.  That's nuts.  Defies logic in terms of whom the Boston Bruins are said to be but haven't been for a while. 

Agree 100%.  They are not beating anyone up this year...in the past few seasons, when teams played the Bruins they expected a beatdown, this year is just plain odd. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

There's nothing about this team that scares anyone. Teams know they can out skate them, they have real trouble getting past an aggressive two man forecheck cause their passing is horrible. Take extra liberties with them cause their PP won't make you pay nor will anyone on the team make you pay. They look like secure veteran players playing in the pre-season, no emotion, motivation collecting a paycheck.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Remember the reporting after one of the GM meetings about head shots / concussions, and the story that one of the GMs in the room had come out and said the league doesn't have a head-shot problem, it has a Bruins problem?  I think there's been some persistent PR going on ever since the Bruins won the Cup saying basically that the Bruins are a violent gang of thugs who are trying to injure honest hard-working hockey players.  You saw part of it with the Lucic and Marchand suspensions last year.  By Shanahan's own admission, Lucic was suspended on reputation.  Marchand's suspension was lengthened because that whole debacle involved a Canuck.  The first hint that the Bruins are going to play a physical game, the penalties start.  That reputation persists in the public consciousness and I think it has neutered the Bruins to some degree.

Bruce Dowbiggin produced a two-hour radio documentary on Canada as "the Nation of Hockey."  Montreal-born former Paris resident and New Yorker writer Adam Gopnik was one of the people he interviewed, and I nearly lost it when he was talking about how he's lost some of his passion for hockey due to the violence in the current game (the game today is waaaaay less violent than in the 70s and 80s, but that's another day).  He cited two things as bellweathers for him: Chara-Pacioretty, which he called "a vicious and obvious attempt to injure that went un-punished," and Marchand-Sedin, which he said should have resulted in Marchand being suspended for the rest of the series because "you can't just repeatedly punch a star player, who is obviously not engaging, and get away with it." 

Now, both of these interpretations are highly suspect, especially coming from a Montrealais.  But the doc let them stand because they fit the narrative - which started by implying that Vancouverites burned the city because they were outraged that the Bruins had been allowed to bully their way to the Cup.  So...it was the Bruins's fault.

No excuses in any of this, but I really get the sense that the problem isn't a lack of effort or willingness to take the body so much as a general confusion over when and where they can without being hamstrung for it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

There's nothing about this team that scares anyone. Teams know they can out skate them, they have real trouble getting past an aggressive two man forecheck cause their passing is horrible. Take extra liberties with them cause their PP won't make you pay nor will anyone on the team make you pay. They look like secure veteran players playing in the pre-season, no emotion, motivation collecting a paycheck.

I agree with everything you've written except this.  There is no data to support it.  It's said time and time again here, but is nothing more than something that, as someone said, "makes sense".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Interesting stat:

B's have had a total of 97 PP chances this season least in the NHL and a whopping 59 less than the Habs (156).

Conversely they have had 124 short handed situations for a net pp/pk ratio of -27.

Why is this important? Because the B's have been walking on eggshells all season in an effort to stay out of the box and its not working.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I agree with everything you've written except this.  There is no data to support it.  It's said time and time again here, but is nothing more than something that, as someone said, "makes sense".

NAS your probably right but it just seems to look that way to me some gm's.

Sections
Shortcuts