Fraser nails it again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Fraser nails it again

Can't get enough of Kerry Fraser's columns, especially when he calls Shanny out. Here's an excerpt from his latest column on Boychuck.

"

There was no minimizing contact by either Myers or Malkin.

The judgment utilized by the Referee in applying the different options of assessment available to him is dependent upon the "degree of violence of impact with the boards."  A minor penalty or a major and automatic game misconduct are the prescribed options available to the Referee "based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards."

In each of these plays in question a two minute minor for boarding was assessed.  My question to the referees is how much more impact is required for a players face to strike the glass or boards or increased degree of violence to consider a major penalty (and automatic game misconduct)? I for one, sure hope I don't see it happen!

Evgeni Malkin approached a vulnerable Johnny Boychuk and had sufficient time to turn his back and apply a reverse hit (video here) directly to the back of the Bruins player and therefore had ample time to "minimize contact" as the rule states. I would have assessed a boarding major and game misconduct to Malkin as the prescribed penalty and in hopes that he would avoid a decision of this sort in the future. I also would have suspended Evgeni Malkin for a minimum of one game or a maximum of two."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=390346

Can they fire Shanny and hire Fraser instead? A ref as the head of discipline - what a novel idea.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Fraser nails it again

Thanks Red,  you're correct this guy's objectiveness is dead on !

To answer Fraser's question ;  how much more impact is required for a players face to strike the glass or boards or increased degree of violence to consider a major penalty (and automatic game misconduct)?

When a player is on a the stretcher leaving the ice. 
    Maybe they should do like soccer and stay on the ground , put on a stretcher and brought towards the room (soccer on the sidelines) . Then miraculously come back on the bench. IT'S A MIRACLE !
    or lobby after the game to Shannahan that player A was hurt by player B and only them might there be a suspension. 

In real life if I take a rock , pitch it at a cop , miss ,  I still have to pay the consequences even though no bodily harm was done. The actions gets penalized but not in the NHL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I agree. He seems spot on with all his decisions. Can he come back from retirement?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Sounds to me like him and Shanny should flip flop jobs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Fraser would be good, except he's prone to missing the obvious high-sticks to the face during key hockey games Tongue out

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

It's pretty BS that since Horton, Corvo and Boychuk didn't flail on the ice that it wasn't deemed suspension worthy. Worst part about it is that Horton got a penalty for retailiating.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Heh, as soon as I saw you posted to this thread I knew you were going to mention the Gilmour call. You Leafs fans are never going to let that one go, are you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: Fraser nails it again:
    [QUOTE]Heh, as soon as I saw you posted to this thread I knew you were going to mention the Gilmour call. You Leafs fans are never going to let that one go, are you?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    We have so few things to harp on when it comes to any kind of playoff success in the last 100 or so years....

But you're right.......I know I need to let it go......................deep breath and..............Nope, I just can't do it

This will haunt me until the Leafs make it back to a conference final again............which means I'm likely taking this bitterness to my grave (sigh)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I disagree that he always nails it.  I would say that in his current incarnation, he generally errs on the side of popularity - which is usually to sound like a hanging judge compared to his former zebra brethren.  I don't like that.

And I don't think he'd be any less successful than Shanahan has been in resisting activist GMs who lobby for different interpretations of the rules.  The rulings pre-GM meeting where one GM apparently said the league has a Bruins problem not a discipline problem were generally about the act and the right decisions regarding the act.  Since that meeting and starting with the Lucic suspension, there's been way more interpretation, and not just when Bruins are involved.  I don't think it would be different with Fraser in there - though he might try to hold his ground, and then he'd get turfed and made to look like a gelled up idiot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

[QUOTE]Heh, as soon as I saw you posted to this thread I knew you were going to mention the Gilmour call. You Leafs fans are never going to let that one go, are you?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Just like the Habs only 1 goal from the Cup last year!
     hahahaha!!!!   Like they would have done anything the rest of the way if they scored the OT winner in game 7

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I've been reading Fraser's comments once in a while and find I disagree as often as I agree

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I've been reading Fraser's comments once in a while and find I disagree as often as I agree
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

That sounds about right for a ref, doesn't it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

[QUOTE]Fraser would be good, except he's prone to missing the obvious high-sticks to the face during key hockey games 
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]
    Amen! I'm still waiting for Carrot Top to explain the high stick Krejci took in the Montreal game. Deliberate attempt to injure by hitting a player in the face with a stick. Watch the tape.and tell me it wasn't deliberate. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

The only one that still burns me is the Sestito hit. I would actually not feel bad if McD legchecked him Ulf style on saturday.

That was  gutless, gutless play another bum injuring our 1st line player and NOT EVEN a second glance from the league disciplinarian. I swear had that been Lucic on Neal or Giroux im thinking 3-5x games MINIMUM.

I dont think I ever even saw shanahans reasoning for that awful call. Just awful.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]The only one that still burns me is the Sestito hit. I would actually not feel bad if McD legchecked him Ulf style on saturday. That was  gutless, gutless play another bum injuring our 1st line player and NOT EVEN a second glance from the league disciplinarian. I swear had that been Lucic on Neal or Giroux im thinking 3-5x games MINIMUM. I dont think I ever even saw shanahans reasoning for that awful call. Just awful.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

because they're so obsessed with head shots that now you could blindside hit someone and if the head is not the principle point of contact it's okay.
    I'll say it again Eric Lindos and Wayne Primeau both got hit hard in the chest and had to retire because of those concussion.

Sections
Shortcuts