Fraser-Soderberg-Eriksson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Fraser-Soderberg-Eriksson

Finally got to watch the full game from last night and this is my take on this line. When Fletch first posted that Fraser got the call-up I was intrigued by the possible potential he would bring to the third line. I felt he had all the attributes that line needed: big body, likes to bang and crash, hunt for rebound around the goal crease. Then I remembered his less than stellar call-up early in the regular season (14 games, two measly goals, 2 lost fights) and really expected him to go the way of Caron and Florek: limited and forgettable minutes.

To be fair to Fraser, his early season call-up was really hindered by a floundering team at the time. A number of vet forwards were injured, Yeti was still finding his game, "sweethands" was gracing us with is presence (9gms, 0 points, -4) so it was not as if Fraser was the lone standout for unimpressiveness at the time.

However, last night that line was everything I had hoped it would be. With Fraser, the line has an nice balance of everything they need to succeed. Toughness (Fraser), skill (Yeti), D-acumen (Eriksson). They were the best line last night and, if they can keep it up, the Hab D really have no answer for them.

Of course, this is just one game. The key is for them to be consistent. However, I think they can do it. This bodes well for this playoff run and next season as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Fraser-Soderberg-Eriksson

Fraser did everything that was asked from him and more(no kidding).As you say he likes to bang and crash and is not afraid to take a shot,which i like.He seems to have a pretty good wrister and just missed the net on a couple of occasion's.He'll likely stay on that line now,at least until the aliens release Kelly.As you said JMW with King Carl providing the skill and Loui the d,it wouldn't seem quite as overwhelming for the kid,what a night for him and i just knew that line would do something. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

That line was playing too good to NOT score last night.  They earned it.  Hopefully they can keep the pace up for another home win!  Cant wait for tomorrow!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yep. Having a consistent and potent third line puts a ton of pressure on the Habs D. They are already top-heavy, with Weaver and Murray getting limited and protected minutes. Therrien's only options are to play his top 4 more against this line or play his overmatched third pairing.

I think he will go for the former (he is a very conventional coach) and the result should be more space for the B's top two lines against an increasingly strained top 4 d-pairing of the Habs. Get prepared for the Krecji line to break out soon......hopefully.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I thought Krejci had a good jump in his stride last night,Iginla as well,just not getting rewarded,its coming though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Yep. Having a consistent and potent third line puts a ton of pressure on the Habs D. They are already top-heavy, with Weaver and Murray getting limited and protected minutes. Therrien's only options are to play his top 4 more against this line or play his overmatched third pairing.

I think he will go for the former (he is a very conventional coach) and the result should be more space for the B's top two lines against an increasingly strained top 4 d-pairing of the Habs. Get prepared for the Krecji line to break out soon......hopefully.

Agreed.  How many times did we see Subban winded last night due to extended shifts...keep it up.  Two of the next three are at home, I like their chances!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

I thought Krejci had a good jump in his stride last night,Iginla as well,just not getting rewarded,its coming though.

yes maybe his skating but he was horrible with the puck. So many bad passes, jeeeeez !  Iginla will go as far as his Center goes.  I wish Lucic breaks out, he needs to go to the net more.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Best third line in the NHL!

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Agreed.  How many times did we see Subban winded last night due to extended shifts...keep it up.  Two of the next three are at home, I like their chances!

And with a potent third line once again CJ can play with the match ups at home. There will be plenty of opportunity to put the Krecji line out there against the Weaver-Murray pairing forcing Therrien to either stay with that match and the risks involved or swap in Markov-Emelin, putting more pressure on them. Love it. I can't believe the B's went as far as they did last playoff without a functioning third line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

yes maybe his skating but he was horrible with the puck. So many bad passes, jeeeeez !  Iginla will go as far as his Center goes.  I wish Lucic breaks out, he needs to go to the net more.

True enough Bsl,here's hoping they get off the shnide next game.The good thing is the series is tied and the Krejci line hasn't done much on the scoreboard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Best third line in the NHL!

Yep. Should Fraser keep up the solid play into next season, this trade will look even  more lopsided. Especially if Morrow should become a regular on the back end. And all this without having to sign ufa's in the offseason and the cap issues that would inevitably result in doing so. Nice....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"really expected him to go the way of Caron and Florek: limited and forgettable minutes"

Fraser can work on his game along the boards and his skating but Caron and Florek will never be able to score the way Matt can in the AHL. Eventually you have to put the puck in the net if you want to play on the third line.

Florek could still win a spot on the 4th line this fall.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Good point Dawg. I don't think we have seen the last of Florek. Caron, however........

That said, I am not sure Florek would be any good on the 4rth line. He is not especially physical or tough. I see Kelly moving down to that line simply because he is under contract for the next couple of seasons and has a NTC so I think PC will have a hard time moving him. I see Florek's future with the team much like Caron's has been the past few years, extra forward kept around to be an injury fill-in.

I do believe ST will retire at season's end.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Good point Dawg. I don't think we have seen the last of Florek. Caron, however........

That said, I am not sure Florek would be any good on the 4rth line. He is not especially physical or tough. I see Kelly moving down to that line simply because he is under contract for the next couple of seasons and has a NTC so I think PC will have a hard time moving him. I see Florek's future with the team much like Caron's has been the past few years, extra forward kept around to be an injury fill-in.

I do believe ST will retire at season's end.

I think Caron catches on with a Florida, Dallas, Phoenix or Winnipeg as a 4th line player. If PC re-signs Thornton, after I saw the way Shawn played right after Murray hit, it would be a mistake. This year has been brutal for Suga noggin.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

hahaha...."Suga noggin." Excellent!!

B's really do need a heavyweight that can play regular mins for next season. But that really is the only possible UFA signing I think PC will be aiming for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I liked Fraser on the line as Paille could return to the 4th line.  Paille just did not work out with Yeti and Eriksson.  Yeti was hit a few times last night, Montreal has taken notice.  Eriksson is winning puck battles and making some nice passes.  His scoring touch is off, but soft he is not.  Many said this line now with Fraser would be the difference this playoff season.  If Felger said so up until the Montreal series.  Give Fraser more frozen yogurt!  

"Don't judge me monkey" 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Better question is why is Soderberg-Eriksson line the best line...The B's top 2 lines need to finish. It's made for a difficult series. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Better question is why is Soderberg-Eriksson line the best line...The B's top 2 lines need to finish. It's made for a difficult series. 

CJ said it well, the top line of both teams have been playing head-to-head so far and have essentially neutralized each other. The Bergeron line had been carrying this team in scoring in the series up until last night. The third line was missing a piece until Fraser got the call up. I suspect that if the Soderberg line keeps playing the way it did last night then the Habs D are in for some serious strain here on in....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

CJ said it well, the top line of both teams have been playing head-to-head so far and have essentially neutralized each other. The Bergeron line had been carrying this team in scoring in the series up until last night. The third line was missing a piece until Fraser got the call up. I suspect that if the Soderberg line keeps playing the way it did last night then the Habs D are in for some serious strain here on in....

SODERBERG is a BEAR!

FRASER closing in on Seguin for playoff goals scored.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to watchtower's comment:

i hope ur kidding- 

SODERBERG is a BEAR!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

This

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

After reading Wilbur's skewering of Rask's article yesterday, I noticed he took a nasty shot at Lucic, particularly in how long he is taking to release.  Hated to admit it, but it was true.

Then last night, first period I think, Looch had the puck on his stick and seemed to take a week to get the shot off.  Really like to see him (and the rest of the Bs) get the thing to the net in a hurry.  Anything to get them to finish.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to watchtower's comment:

lol...so true. Especially, and more importantly, playoff GWG's.

Sections
Shortcuts