Free Agency Winners and Losers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Free Agency Winners and Losers

As per Sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/biggest-winners-and-losers-nhl-free-agency-2014-july-1/

Blurb on the B's:

Boston Bruins
    As defending Presidents’ Trophy winners with a reasonably deep organizational depth chart, the Bruins aren’t about to drop out of the playoffs even with the loss of Jarome Iginla and his 30 goals last season. Still, the Bruins face a salary-cap crunch and you get a sense that the window has started to close on the core of talent that carries over from the 2011 Stanley Cup championship roster. Zdeno Chara’s struggles were profound against Montreal in the playoffs, and Brad Marchand flat-lined. Standing pat shouldn’t have been an option.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Free Agency Winners and Losers

Whether or not they tried to make deals is unknown.

Whether or not deals will be made during the summer is unknown.

I wish they had moved Marchand.

I think that's a bit overboard on the Chara part.

Lastly, everything is going to be okay.  Life is good. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yeah that Chara part is a but misguided considering he had  a mangled hand due to a slash. Ultimately he was not the reason for the loss to the Habs...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The winner's ?

The teams that stayed out of paying the absurd prices on July 1st.

The loser's ?

Years down the road......... we'll find out when some of these teams are trying to rid themselves of some players and their contracts signed yesterday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The B's dipped into the free agent frenzy years ago to get Chara & Savard,it helped them get immediately better and with a few added pieces it helped them win a Cup.Every team that delves into the free agent frenzy will not win the Cup,but hopefully it gives their fans a reason to watch and get optimistic,i know it did for me when Chara & Savard were signed.I didn't in my wildest dreams think it would bring the B's the Cup,but it did,Chara was the centrepiece around which the Bruins got their image and mojo back.

As far as the Bruins being losers,i don't see it that way.They had no Cap space and the reason for that is that they had the team to go for it all last season and it didn't work out,look at how many teams fan bases can say that,their team is just riding a perpetual swirl of the toilet bowl.Just imagine if you are a Panther,Islander,Oiler fan or worse yet a Lerf fan.I think we can safely say that we are very fortunate that the team we cheer for now is very competitive,year in and year out and that they didn't have to dip into the frenzy this year.They will still make the playoffs,and with a trade or two or a deadline pickup,who knows,the B's will be in the mix again and all the talking heads will be talking about how impressive they look and the free agency period will be a distant memory. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

As per Sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/biggest-winners-and-losers-nhl-free-agency-2014-july-1/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/biggest-winners-and-losers-nhl-free-agency-2014-july-1/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/biggest-winners-and-losers-nhl-free-agency-2014-july-1/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/biggest-winners-and-losers-nhl-free-agency-2014-july-1/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/biggest-winners-and-losers-nhl-free-agency-2014-july-1/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/biggest-winners-and-losers-nhl-free-agency-2014-july-1/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/biggest-winners-and-losers-nhl-free-agency-2014-july-1/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/biggest-winners-and-losers-nhl-free-agency-2014-july-1/

Blurb on the B's:

Boston Bruins

As defending Presidents’ Trophy winners with a reasonably deep organizational depth chart, the Bruins aren’t about to drop out of the playoffs even with the loss of Jarome Iginla and his 30 goals last season. Still, the Bruins face a salary-cap crunch and you get a sense that the window has started to close on the core of talent that carries over from the 2011 Stanley Cup championship roster. Zdeno Chara’s struggles were profound against Montreal in the playoffs, and Brad Marchand flat-lined. Standing pat shouldn’t have been an option.

Thoughts?[object HTMLDivElement]

can't argue except with "a reasonably deep organizational depth chart"....

if that was the case "standing pat" wouldn't be a concern....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I am glad we did not overpay for anybody so far. I can say that at least.
    Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Thought Tampa did a great job and will do more.  Florida is joke.  Caps paid waay to much for those two.  Im assuming Green is gonna be dealt.  Bruins won by being broke bc of rask.  Thank you rask.  Best save you made all year.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You're gonna start to sound like Stanley any minute here, shupe.  Tampan moves are okay, but Stralman at $4.5M is still a stretch, as is Boyle at $2M. Just not a debilitating one, so I guess I see your point.  Basically, they traded Purcell, Thompson and [that other bum] for these two.  They need the help on the back end, but is Boyle not just a bigger Thompson?

As for the Sportsnet article - who cares?  I think it would be more accurate to call them "losers" UFA Frenzy because they lost a number of pieces - Johnson's gone along with Iginla, Mike Moore, Meszaros, Thornton.  They'll also likely lose Potter, Sweethands, and the guy whose PiMs Stanley confused with his Points.  But, who cares?  They lost at Free Agent Frenzy.  And Buffalo won.  That will keep Sabres fans warm through a long winter, I guess.

As for "standing pat shouldn't have been an option" - they had two options given where they're at with the Cap and the evolution of the team.  They're the two I outlined a few weeks back.  Option 1 was stand pat with the group they have knowing that they didn't have much cap flexibility this year, tweak to round it out, and take another run.  Option 2 was a fairly significant retooling moving Krejci now when his value is probably as high as it will be between now and his UFA status; moving Boychuk for the same reasons, and likely making other moves  to round out the roster once you move Lucic to Soderberg's line.  I still think it's Chicken Little stuff to say the window is closing if by that you mean anything more than life without Chara, but I give them every chance to be a contender out of the east without the big man if the renewal of the D continues to go as well as it did last year in teh regular season.

Are you not entertained?!?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Winners:

Dallas

Tampa

I also liked Pittsburgh picking up Thomas Greiss and Chicago getting Brad Richards for 2 million.

Losers:

Florida

Washington

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Tampa got Garrison Stralman.  They needed help and got it on back end.  They kept Cally which will help them.  They got a back up goalie on the cheap.  Boyle may have been the rangers best fwd for large portions of the playoffs.  Hes built for the east.  Hes big and is strong defensively.   Considering Engelland got 2.9.  I personally like what Tampa did.  

This team is in major league hurt without chara.  You saw this team struggle and made excuses without Seidz.  We are a good team at best minus chara.  We just lost our top goal scorer.  I think the East is so poor that we should be able to cruise.  But the west is just a different beast.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Forgot the Garrison deal, but I'm not sure he's really "help on the back end."  Help for the PP, maybe?

Boyle will never be more than a third or fourth liner.  I wonder how good he'll look without Moore as his partner - those two together were very good in the playoffs.

Different now than it was last year.  The struggled because they played 4 rookies when without Seidenberg, and they still won the PT and a record stretch of games without him.  Showed in the playoffs. It was also compounded by the loss of McQuaid.  Hamilton, Boychuk, Seidenberg, Krug, McQuaid and, say, Trotman would be better in October than the D corps was in January.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Chicago getting Brad Richards for 2 million.

This deal will be a steal like when PC re-signed Recchi. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Dallas looks like big winners

Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Dunno.  I could see Dallas taking a step back depending on how Spezza takes to being the 2nd line C.  I don't think he liked the perception that Turris had passed him in Ottawa.  He and Hemsky are buttery soft together, too.  We'll see how that goes.  Also wonder if Dallas underestimates the value of the kids they had getting experience - Nichushkin is still there, Chiasson gone, but we'll see what a dose of new vets will do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

It doesn't matter what they do,the Nucks are losers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Tampa got Garrison Stralman.  They needed help and got it on back end.  They kept Cally which will help them.  They got a back up goalie on the cheap.  Boyle may have been the rangers best fwd for large portions of the playoffs.  Hes built for the east.  Hes big and is strong defensively.   Considering Engelland got 2.9.  I personally like what Tampa did.  

This team is in major league hurt without chara.  You saw this team struggle and made excuses without Seidz.  We are a good team at best minus chara.  We just lost our top goal scorer.  I think the East is so poor that we should be able to cruise.  But the west is just a different beast.  

I really like what Tampa did, they had needs they identified them and filled them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

ever since signing his mega-deal with the Rangers Richards has played more like a 2 mil. per player....

he got what he's worth....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

ever since signing his mega-deal with the Rangers Richards has played more like a 2 mil. per player....

Not based on this years market.  He didnt have a terrible year.  2 million for him is a great deal and one i would have welcomed.  Pouilot, Engelland etc etc not better then Richards. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not based on this years market.  He didnt have a terrible year.  2 million for him is a great deal and one i would have welcomed.  Pouilot, Engelland etc etc not better then Richards. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

i wouldn't have brought Richards in and displaced Soda to wing....  plus now that Louii's on the top line, let's replace him with some speed on the third, something Richards never possessed....

someone like Setoguchi would look good....

Sections
Shortcuts