Free Agents Still Out There (lower end/4th line types)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

Free Agents Still Out There (lower end/4th line types)

Seeing how we obviously can't sign anyone making big coin, I'd take a look into these two: Steve Ott and Dan Carcillo.

The whole fourth line could be (and should be) rebuilt. I'd move Campbell and replace him with the more aggressive Ott. Carcillo would provide constant physicality which is something Thornton never did. I would also move Paille up a line and give Bobby Robbins a serious look at fourth line RW.

These three guys would give us speed and much-needed physical play on the fourth line. I cringe when I see suggestions of Campbell, Paille and a cream puff like Fraser on line 4.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Re: Free Agents Still Out There (lower end/4th line types)

I,m with you in regards to the physicality part of the 4th line, which I think produces energy to the game. Thornton never brought it in terms of running around hitting people, while Robins would be a perfect fit, hes full of hitting energy & will drop the gloves if need be. These staged fights, eye for eye fights produce nothing compared to tapping a 4th line on the shoulders & having them banging bodies. NOW! Where Campbell & Paille fit in is a whole different story, but im with you on the idea of a banging 4th line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Carcillo is a skating clown and Ott is a third line player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ott is a third line player.

[/QUOTE]

Good because the B's need 2 third liners now ...preferably at least one that can score at the NHL level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

imagine Ott on the B,s, classic love'em on your team, hate him playing against you...Jack Edwards would be eating crow. "He,s a heat sinking missle set out to destroy some ones career" I wouldn't mind him on Soderberg,s LW. I love Kelly but thinking Ott would bring more to that position then him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Having Ott and Marchand on the same team may be interesting....but redundant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Having Ott and Marchand on the same team may be interesting....but redundant.

[/QUOTE]

Ott goes to sleep and dreams of having Marchand's scoring touch.  Marchand  goes to sleep and dreams of having Ott's balls/toughness.

Not the same player at all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Imagine him & Robins on the 4th. Oh my what trouble those 2 could get into. Have to go out & get Thornton back for that ulitimate protection plan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Must have missed all those fights Marchand skated away from or when Brad refuses to go into corners to retrieve the puck. Ball of hate does not play at the end of his stick...ever.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to pucman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Imagine him & Robins on the 4th. Oh my what trouble those 2 could get into. Have to go out & get Thornton back for that ulitimate protection plan.

[/QUOTE]

"what trouble those 2 could get into"

and not the good kind of trouble.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Must have missed all those fights Marchand skated away from

[/QUOTE]

Ott: 94 career nhl fights...Marchand: 5. Care to revise that part of your statement?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Must have missed all those fights Marchand skated away from

[/QUOTE]

Ott: 94 career nhl fights...Marchand: 5. Care to revise that part of your statement?

[/QUOTE]

Huge swing and miss by Sandog there.  He's a joke.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ive always been amused at the "he backs it up" comments.  I wish we knew how many times hes declined to drop the gloves.  Ive come a long way since really not liking him.  I doubt he would thrive outside of Boston.  His act would get him killed.  Unless he went to Calgary.  How many goons does a bad team need anyway.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Which brings me back to my Giordano/Glencross for Boychuk/Marchand deal.  Burke likes his truck.  Well he gets it.  We get a perfect dman who improves our overall defense and Glencross who adds some skill, size and speed.  It also creates an extra 1.5m to add to the left over cap to potentially add a player.   Id also consider adding Loui in place of Brad.  Then deal Brad seperately.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Which brings me back to my Giordano/Glencross for Boychuk/Marchand deal.  Burke likes his truck.  Well he gets it.  We get a perfect dman who improves our overall defense and Glencross who adds some skill, size and speed.  It also creates an extra 1.5m to add to the left over cap to potentially add a player.   Id also consider adding Loui in place of Brad.  Then deal Brad seperately.  

[/QUOTE]

If Glencross could stay on the ice, I'd be all for the Marchand option.

Loui is on a different level, however.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

"what trouble those 2 could get into"

and not the good kind of trouble.

Roger that!  & Thornton not the right kind of protection plan eithier. Ugly vision.....was Just being a lil sarcastic. I like Ott game but not his nasty side that would have to be tamed

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Setoguchi is still out there. Wonder what kind of $ he would get and if PC has talked to his agent and already found out the price is too high. Or maybe not interested in trying to resurrect the goooch. Probably not. I think PC is fairly convinced that what he has in Providence is going to fill out the roster just fine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Setoguchi is still out there. Wonder what kind of $ he would get and if PC has talked to his agent and already found out the price is too high. Or maybe not interested in trying to resurrect the goooch. Probably not. I think PC is fairly convinced that what he has in Providence is going to fill out the roster just fine.

[/QUOTE]

I mentioned him back in january.  I still would like to give him a look.  Im guessing a mason raymond one year deal would fit the bill.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think Ott would be an effective player, especially against a team like Montreal. I agree with NAS that he is a third line player..B's have an opening, so who knows.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

Ive always been amused at the "he backs it up" comments.  I wish we knew how many times hes declined to drop the gloves.  Ive come a long way since really not liking him.  I doubt he would thrive outside of Boston.  His act would get him killed.  Unless he went to Calgary.  How many goons does a bad team need anyway.  

[/QUOTE]

A guy that plays with his edge has to know how to protect himself.  I would imagine that guys have been trying to take his head off for years.  I don't mean fighting, I mean keeping your head on a swivel.  He does this pretty well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A guy that plays with his edge has to know how to protect himself.  I would imagine that guys have been trying to take his head off for years.  I don't mean fighting, I mean keeping your head on a swivel.  He does this pretty well.

[/QUOTE]

The sample size we have is with the toughest team in hockey.  Ive played with guys that act 10' tall on a tough team.  Disappear when the big guys are gone.  Every single guy in here has a friend that is the same.  We can all call them marchand from now on.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The sample size we have is with the toughest team in hockey.  Ive played with guys that act 10' tall on a tough team.  Disappear when the big guys are gone.  Every single guy in here has a friend that is the same.  We can all call them marchand from now on.  

[/QUOTE]

Think your dislike for Marchand if getting in the way of your objectivity. 

Marchand plays on the edge, that's his game.  Saying he is only playing "tough" because his teammates are there to back him up is ridiculous.  Can you give an example of when someone jumped in and fought for him?  I honestly cannot think of a single example.

He has been on a line with Bergeron with RW's like Recchi, Seguin, Eriksson and Reilly Smith.  Hardly the Legion of Doom.  Give the guy a break.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Crowls the guy is a little piece of crap that we would all hate if he were a penguin or hab.  I dont dislike him as much as i used to.  To be honest ive never seen one guy jump in for him.  Nor do we know how many times hes skated away from a fight.   Yes he plays on the edge.   I dont think he's gonna bring that game on a team lacking the muscle.   ST said in an interview no one would get him as long as hes there.  The war or words and mind games on the ice is amazing.  One guy challenges Brad....ST and Lucic and Chara all tell that person the same thing.   If you dont think this exists well i cant help you....small little rat players are a lot bigger in the presence of giants.   I work with a small out of shape female with a big mouth.   She is scared of her own shadow.  When she is with some of the bigger guys on the squad she instigates like crazy bc she knows we wont let her get her head beat off. Ive also played with lots of guys who act the same way.  Once the back up is gone they dont play with that same edge or find a cheap way of getting tossed like yelling at a ref.  

I have no issue saying Hes a rugged little ....i really like his skill game...but as with all pests his antics have branded this team.   I guess everyone has their own meaning of tough.  I get that he has to play with an edge to be the player he is....i just have a hard time believing he would have b-slapped bergie around like he did against henrik gazoo without having his nose on the back of his head.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

i just have a hard time believing he would have b-slapped bergie around like he did against henrik gazoo without having his nose on the back of his head.   

[/QUOTE]

Yep, someone would have beat him to a bloody pulp.

I was just reviewing Ott's fight card yesterday and the guy does stand up for himself with some legit fighters.....doesn't win all that often against them but he certainly does not cower away and hide.

Not that I am a pro-Ott fanboy or anything but he could be nice on that third line. Former captain too so it is not like he is despised in his own dressing room.

Sections
Shortcuts