From Twitter: Wade Belak found dead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

From Twitter: Wade Belak found dead

https://twitter.com/search/Wade%20Belak

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2011/08/31/18625246.html

I should probably wait to put this up until this goes up on TSN (true confirmation). If this is true not good for enforcers...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Re: From Twitter: Wade Belak found dead

Oh man I hope this is not true! What a horrible year this will have been for enforcers!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to From Twitter: Wade Belak found dead:
    [QUOTE]                   https://twitter.com/search/Wade%20Belak    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2011/08/31/18625246.html I should probably wait to put this up until this goes up on TSN (true confirmation). If this is true not good for enforcers...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Dawg - I just saw on Global News that he was found in his downtown Toronto apartment.  Belak was supposed to appear on CBC's Battle Of The Blades program.  Early unconfirmed reports are that he was a victim of suicide.  He was only 35.  A shock but more importantly, a shame.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

WOW, HOW SAD!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Unbelievable.  I really liked this guy and he had a promising career ahead of him in the booth.  Funny, personable, and intelligent.  This might be a real nail in the coffin of the career fighter in the NHL.

Sadly, the anti-hockey people are going to jump all over this trend.

This is bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

He was on the Fan590 just last week talking with Gord Stellick. He was in good spirits and it was a good segment.

How sad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: From Twitter: Wade Belak found dead:
    [QUOTE]Unbelievable.  I really liked this guy and he had a promising career ahead of him in the booth.  Funny, personable, and intelligent.  This might be a real nail in the coffin of the career fighter in the NHL. Sadly, the anti-hockey people are going to jump all over this trend. This is bad.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Rypien battling depression for 10 years. Belak's suicide could possibly be the same ( speculation on my part ). Those sound more like health issues. Unless those issues are attributed to the pressures ( concussions and just knowing you have to fight night after night ) of being an enforcer in the NHL. Did getting punched in the head throughout those guys careers cause the mental problems ? Head injuries are a scary thing . Either way it's sad to see and fighting in hockey might just be given a hard look at like you suggested.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Stuff like this makes you wonder.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Unbelievable.  I really liked this guy and he had a promising career ahead of him in the booth.  Funny, personable, and intelligent.  This might be a real nail in the coffin of the career fighter in the NHL. Sadly, the anti-hockey people are going to jump all over this trend. This is bad.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Fletch, I agree wholeheartedly. Belak seemed like he was a wonderful person and teammate in any interviews I've seen him do. It's really shocking as I saw him interviewed last week and he was all smiles and quick wit. It's truly a shame.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: From Twitter: Wade Belak found dead :  Rypien battling depression for 10 years. Belak's suicide could possibly be the same ( speculation on my part ). Those sound more like health issues. Unless those issues are attributed to the pressures ( concussions and just knowing you have to fight night after night ) of being an enforcer in the NHL. Did getting punched in the head throughout those guys careers cause the mental problems ? Head injuries are a scary thing . Either way it's sad to see and fighting in hockey might just be given a hard look at like you suggested.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Guys, look up the research on CTE.  This one is another suicide/depression case with someone with a history of head injury?  Probert, Duerson, that college kid last year...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccoul. Show ccoul's posts

According to TSN, he Hung himself

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I've been sitting here with my fingers on my keyboard for a few minutes. 

Nothing to say outside of, "tragic".

This stuff has to stop.

They need to get mandatory couch visits at the shrink for anyone who has more than 10 fighting majors each year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Sad. A friend of mine is a huge fan of his. He has his signed-Leafs #3 jersey. He had the #3, then Belak changed to #2. or the other way around.  

This is really starting to make me wonder about the game and fighting. I don't care if 2 guys want to pound the cr*p out of each other. But if they are ready to off themselves because of it, then I have to draw the line. I think the 'enforcer' has morphed from a guy that fought every now and then to keep the other team's pest or nasty guy like Cooke at bay, to a full time entertainment role. When it would be a fight a month, it is now once a week. I'm guessing that since there is such a shortage of skilled players, if you have a tough & skilled guy, the team doesn't want them wasting their skills on fighting, therefore you need to have the "tough guy". Trim the roaster by one or 2, and they will have to drop the position. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I've been sitting here with my fingers on my keyboard for a few minutes.  Nothing to say outside of, "tragic". This stuff has to stop. They need to get mandatory couch visits at the shrink for anyone who has more than 10 fighting majors each year.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    This is a very good idea. I like fighting more than the average fan but something has to change. As you said......tragic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

sad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I've been sitting here with my fingers on my keyboard for a few minutes.  Nothing to say outside of, "tragic". This stuff has to stop. They need to get mandatory couch visits at the shrink for anyone who has more than 10 fighting majors each year.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

NAS,  I couldnt agree more.  Belak's brother is actually an RCMP member up north.  He was a pretty mean dude in the day as well.  I have gone to many many suicides and I always think to myself  "Why".  I have read suicide letters and they all seem to say the same thing.  I have a good life and have good friends and family.  You think that living the life, playing in the show, being home town heros is enough. 
    Very very sad. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: From Twitter: Wade Belak found dead : Guys, look up the research on CTE.  This one is another suicide/depression case with someone with a history of head injury?  Probert, Duerson, that college kid last year...
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

If you count the minor leagues, I can think of Trevor Ettinger and Terrence Tootoo (Jordin's brother).  Both regular fighters, both took their lives as young men.

Perhaps the same mentality that lends itself to frequent fist fights as part of the job, also lends itself to depression.  Some mandatory time on the couch for these guys is starting to sound like a pretty good idea.

Belak sounds like a guy that was admired, without exception, by everyone who knew him.  I'm really saddened by this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

He was a great guy & was extremely funny. I was fortunate to have met him during his time with the Hershey Bears. It is a sad day

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I swear it's the meds. Hockey players have been fighting for years. Heck, the enforcers back in the early years fought a heck of alot more, why are they dropping like flies now..My guess is back then a guy shook it off as a headache, took some tylenol and played the next night..Now, they diagnose you with something and fill you with drugs where the side effects make your worse off than you were before you went to the doctor...how many boxers or ultimate fighters killing themselves?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Actually, kel, there are fighters killing themselves, too.

You guys aren't looking at this right... the occurrance of CTE is prevalent in most high impact sports... hockey, football, fighting.  The college player (Owens ?) hung himself.  Sound familiar?  Many of these guys do not show extreme major depression in the way you are imagining... that therapy will fix. "Couch time" is not the answer;  its a neurological disorder resulting from the accumulation of blows to the head:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

Ive had to do a lot of research on this for my latest project, its bad news.  They interviewed Thornton from the B's about it- he got very defensive about the idea of taking away his livelihood as a goon when he knows it just might be killing him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I feel bad for the familys and the friends of the people who kill them selfs the most. I happen to to not have much sympathy for people that kill themselfs if you ask me its very selfish for the pain they cause familty and friends.

Another thing I think you guys who wana ban fighting or enforcerers are having a knee jerk reaction. Its been a brutal off season for the enforcers no doubt but to take that stance is just over the top. If you wana take fighting out then do you want it to be a no checking league too? Checks cause head injuries too. I don't know how much I would like the nhl if all the players wore shields and dove and did cheapshots with their sticks and there could be no retaliation with fighting. Would be like the nba on ice and that would be garbage.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

How very sad, for Wade, his family especially, his friends, teammates and fans. A friend of my family killed himself exactly 2 weeks ago. He was 49 and suffered from depression. He decided that a life of sadness was no life at all. He had many people who thought highly of him and loved him very much. He didn't see it. All he was capable of feeling was the depth of his own despair . Now his wife and kids are left grieving and searching for answers. The oldest child is best friends with my oldest daughter and now considers me her dad on earth.

It's an illness that none of us can truly understand and whether it is brought on by head trauma or occurs more organically it tragic in too many instances. For those of you who have mentioned the league needs to addrress this, I agree 100%. Counseling and therapy can help as would some preventative measures. I too am second-guessing the whole aspect of fighting in hockey. Maybe it's time for it to go.

RIP Wade
    RIP Chuck - We miss you, my friend.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

A terribly sad day indeed.  I also heard Wad on the Gord Stellick show the other day - and I was actually happy to hear he was taking a on-air position with the Predators after retireing this summer.

Depression is a condition that very often goes unnoticed by others.  I feel for his wife and children.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

was GOING TO post about this but glad i was beat to it. so everyone thinks the game is too soft today eh? third enforcer type dead in the same way can not be an isolated coincidence. these guys get hit in the head a lot. rvrn sten wonder can see the connection to style of play. another enfocer sent to the great penalty box of the sky, not good!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]How very sad, for Wade, his family especially, his friends, teammates and fans. A friend of my family killed himself exactly 2 weeks ago. He was 49 and suffered from depression. He decided that a life of sadness was no life at all. He had many people who thought highly of him and loved him very much. He didn't see it. All he was capable of feeling was the depth of his own despair . Now his wife and kids are left grieving and searching for answers. The oldest child is best friends with my oldest daughter and now considers me her dad on earth. It's an illness that none of us can truly understand and whether it is brought on by head trauma or occurs more organically it tragic in too many instances. For those of you who have mentioned the league needs to addrress this, I agree 100%. Counseling and therapy can help as would some preventative measures. I too am second-guessing the whole aspect of fighting in hockey. Maybe it's time for it to go. RIP Wade RIP Chuck - We miss you, my friend.
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]
    Very sad indeed. The sudden loss of a loved-one is tragic enough, and when it's connected to the mystery of suicide it is devastating. Genetics? Physiological? Organic?Depression? Trauma? Thankfully there is much research being conducted relative the subject. But IMO there will never be a catch all solution. The human animal remains unpredictable, as does the book of life.  I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Good luck to you,man. Many of us on this board have  a pit in our stomachs today. If there is a silver lining to this, one can almost see that professional sports will join the military and police forces in addressing this issue to its members who by the nature of their professions are reluctant to otherwise seek help,

Sections
Shortcuts