From Twitter: Wade Belak found dead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: From Twitter: Wade Belak found dead

vig - sorry to hear about your concussion history and your ongoing symptoms.  If I can take another tack here, I think discussion got derailed by the idea that it's either blame fighting or provide players with help.  The degree to which fighting played a role in any of these players's deaths is undetermined, and I agree wholeheartedly that a knee-jerk reaction to ban fighting as though this was a policy issue and not a question of lives is ridiculous and arrogant.  I don't remember anyone on this thread jerking their knee like that, and suspensions were only discussed as part of eliminating the designated fighter role. 

Part of getting players help, though, is accurately assessing the risks of hockey fights - not necessarily to ban them but to create the safest possible conditions for them, and maybe to establish assessment criteria that keeps players who are at greater risk due to an existing mental health issue from filling the goon role on a roster.  Any adjustment to the fighting provisions would only be part of a larger approach to avoiding deaths like Rypien's and Belak's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"we wouldnt need fighting, but the fact is the game, players and fans need it and want it."

You don't speak for all hockey fans Vig but why do fans like you NEED Fighting in hockey ?

"The only thing a tragedy like Boogaard, Rypien & Belak should be used for is helping others in similar situations.  Fighting or not, these things are going to happen"

There is a common thread between the three they were all fighters with little to no actual hockey skill so in order for them to keep a job they must fight. How is it an agenda if a hockey fan suggests players should only be allowed to fight once a month or getting rid of the "instegator rule" ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: From Twitter: Wade Belak found dead:
    [QUOTE]Support groups would be a great thing.  Also understanding that depression is an actual illness and you cant just "snap out of it" would help too.  Ive been there, done that.  I played hockey in D1 too, no fighting allowed.  I absolutely HATE watching college hockey.  HATE IT!  For various reasons, NONE of which are no fighting.  Like I said in another post, if all hockey could be like game 7 of the Bruins/Lightning series, we wouldnt need fighting, but the fact is the game, players and fans need it and want it. Ive said it before here in various topics:  Ive had a few severe concussions that were diagnosed and treated, and a number that werent.  I have a few doctors I see throughout New England on a regular basis and Im basically screwed.  Mid 30's and I forget things, have severe migraines, dizzy spells, nausea, vomiting, light sensitivity, etc.  There are times when Im in the middle of a sentence and forget what Im saying.  There are times when Im on the floor playing with m 3 1/2 year old and I get so dizzy and sick I cant move.  It will NEVER get better.  Ive had depression and seen doctors and been on meds.  Its all treatable....if you want to treat it.  Point is, there are people in this world, in every profession, who are going to take their own lives.  My whole point is/was, using the deaths of someone to further ones own personal agenda is in poor taste and disgusting to me.  The only thing a tragedy like Boogaard, Rypien & Belak should be used for is helping others in similar situations.  Fighting or not, these things are going to happen.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about the post consussion stuff buddy.  I have been lucky.  Or my head is cement hard. 
    I think your points are valid for sure.  And I agree that this topic did get derailed a bit. 

Cheers

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Liked reading all you guys' opinions. For me, fighting will always be in the game, the union won't remove it since it is a job, and the owners wont remove it since it sells tickets/TV revenue.

If the NHL truly wants to limit concussions, injuries etc..then they will have to change the shoulder pads and elbow pads (ridiculous, almost weapon like protection) and rid all rinks of the seamless glass.

If any sport ever needed fighting, it;s college hockey. First take those masks off of them, i've never seen so much stick work. They think theyre invincible, I went to a BC-BU game 2 years ago it was more of a rugby match then a hockey game. Zero finesse, just bodies flying everywhere.

Depression..quick story about depression. I have an older brother, met a girl and moved to atlanta. they had a kid, house all was dandy until she screwd around on him..So of course she gets the house,kid and he hits the bottle..Moves up here my mother has him checked out..Doctor said he suffers from depression..I said no S hit, you'd be sad too if your chick boinked another guy and she gets the house and kid and car...Doctor said, no, i mean he suffers froma the clinical term depression and prescribes him pills..1 month later I hardly recognized my brother, as far as personality goes..so I decided to man up for my brother, because i've known my brother my whole life and fully sympathetic to what he's been through but from what i could tell he got a raw deal and these doctors now a days will diagnose anyone with something that keeps them on meds..I threw out his meds, got in a huge blowout with my family, and guess what..he got more and I threw them out again, my family hid them and i kept finding them, access to a police K-9 really helps here...I convinced them to let me try something and it was MY brother and I couldnt watch him live like this..I introduced him to an absolute sweetheart of a girl I knew and to the game of golf..26 months later he has a job he loves, engaged to the girl of his dreams, custody of his child (that cost my dad over 11,000) and golfs 2 to 3 times a week..I understand he is one in a million, and each case is different, but how many more people out there unessicarily drugged up by doctors who are far to quick to pre$cribe med$ to people who "$uffer from depre$$ion"...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Liked reading all you guys' opinions. For me, fighting will always be in the game, the union won't remove it since it is a job, and the owners wont remove it since it sells tickets/TV revenue. If the NHL truly wants to limit concussions, injuries etc..then they will have to change the shoulder pads and elbow pads (ridiculous, almost weapon like protection) and rid all rinks of the seamless glass. If any sport ever needed fighting, it;s college hockey. First take those masks off of them, i've never seen so much stick work. They think theyre invincible, I went to a BC-BU game 2 years ago it was more of a rugby match then a hockey game. Zero finesse, just bodies flying everywhere. Depression..quick story about depression. I have an older brother, met a girl and moved to atlanta. they had a kid, house all was dandy until she screwd around on him..So of course she gets the house,kid and he hits the bottle..Moves up here my mother has him checked out..Doctor said he suffers from depression..I said no S hit, you'd be sad too if your chick boinked another guy and she gets the house and kid and car...Doctor said, no, i mean he suffers froma the clinical term depression and prescribes him pills..1 month later I hardly recognized my brother, as far as personality goes..so I decided to man up for my brother, because i've known my brother my whole life and fully sympathetic to what he's been through but from what i could tell he got a raw deal and these doctors now a days will diagnose anyone with something that keeps them on meds..I threw out his meds, got in a huge blowout with my family, and guess what..he got more and I threw them out again, my family hid them and i kept finding them, access to a police K-9 really helps here...I convinced them to let me try something and it was MY brother and I couldnt watch him live like this..I introduced him to an absolute sweetheart of a girl I knew and to the game of golf..26 months later he has a job he loves, engaged to the girl of his dreams, custody of his child (that cost my dad over 11,000) and golfs 2 to 3 times a week..I understand he is one in a million, and each case is different, but how many more people out there unessicarily drugged up by doctors who are far to quick to pre$cribe med$ to people who "$uffer from depre$$ion"...
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Kel, great to hear a success story regarding depression. Congrats to your brother for turning things around. I couldn't agree more regarding too many doctors being too quick to prescribe meds that can be both dangerous and habit forming. Where I live, prescription drugs are causing more street level crime than any of the supposed illicit drugs. Something needs to be done. I just wish I knew what it was.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

“I think they’re all different situations,’’ Thornton said of Wade Belak, Rick Rypien, and Derek Boogaard. “Obviously a tragedy, each one of them. But I think they’re completely different incidents. The only common denominator is that they all played hockey and had sort of the same role."

"Naturally, Thornton believes fighting belongs in hockey. He has repeatedly stated three reasons for it: to stick up for yourself, defend your teammates, and provide an emotional trigger when needed."

From today's "Hockey Notes" that's just pure denial right there from a guy who thinks his job might be in jeopardy. There needs to be some rule changes and NAS's suggestion of putting a max on how many times skating clowns can stage a fight would be a start....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I'm with bigvig on this one.  I don't see how anyone can link fighting to these tragic deaths.  

Now, if the argument was geared more towards depression as a result of concussions, that i could understand.  But suggesting that the role of enforcer had somehow caused their depression is a stretch at best.

Also, wasn't Belak a #12 pick overall?  That would suggest to me that he was drafted more for his skill than for his fists. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I'm with bigvig on this one.  I don't see how anyone can link fighting to these tragic deaths.   Now, if the argument was geared more towards depression as a result of concussions, that i could understand.  But suggesting that the role of enforcer had somehow caused their depression is a stretch at best. Also, wasn't Belak a #12 pick overall?  That would suggest to me that he was drafted more for his skill than for his fists. 
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

hang - To your point about depression and concussions possibly being linked, I was listening to THE FAN 590 last night and one of the guests on their overnight show was former Leaf Ron Ellis. 

Although he made a comeback two years later he retired in '75 after his most productive season citing hockey wasn't enjoyable anymore, Ellis was diagnosed in '86 as suffering from clinical depression.  He also said he didn't know it at the time but he suffered 3 undiagnosed concussions early in his career that in recent years he has believed to be at the root of his depressive state of mind.