Fun in Montreal - Habs tell Gomez to stay home

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Fun in Montreal - Habs tell Gomez to stay home

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413436

Habs tell Gomez not to report to camp, they will take the cap hit and buy him out in the summer.

I think this is awesome.  Although they might end up getting a #1 pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Fun in Montreal - Habs tell Gomez to stay home

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Habs tell Gomez not to report to camp, they will take the cap hit and buy him out in the summer.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, with Gomez's lack of productivity for them is it ?

Someone younger will ( or might ) come in and perform better then what they got from Gomez.

As a Bruins fan I kind of liked having him around.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Someone younger will ( or might ) come in and perform better then what they got from Gomez.

[/QUOTE]

Me too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

My only concern when the Bruins played the scabs was that he'd break out against Boston before going back into whatever dimension he now lives in.  Get him to say "Zemog" and he has to leave, that sort of thing.  Gomez...Gazoo....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=413185

Mckenzie went over how you get to this when discussing Redden.  That total amnesty buy-out is just too important.  You have to take advantage if you have a guy who will be paid anywhere near 10% of next year's cap and contribute next to nothing or nothing.  And that's brutal for the player because, if it was hard for Redden or Gomez to find a team now, imagine how much harder it will be after a year of no hockey?  Gomez is done in North America.  So's Redden.  Both might find takers in Europe if they feel like it, but with the amount of cash they'll bank on the buy-out, they may just move on with their lives.  Not exactly a sob story for them, but it can't be easy to know that the team thinks the best place for you is in bubblewrap.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I thought that was Mxyzptlk

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It was - two references to interdimensional beings there...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.didgomezscore.com/

Sadly this site must now come down. The answer to the question is on the site lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was - two references to interdimensional beings there...

[/QUOTE]

Both have about the same length of hair.  Been a while since the Man of Steel's old foe scored in the league also.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Isn't it the best of both worlds when his cap counts and he isn't there at all?

I think you have to temper expectations, they had to get rid of Gomez sooner or sooner or right now.  I think this is about as good as it could be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Isn't it the best of both worlds when his cap counts and he isn't there at all?

I think you have to temper expectations, they had to get rid of Gomez sooner or sooner or right now.  I think this is about as good as it could be.

[/QUOTE]

Why ? I haven't looked at his stats. Was he tearing up the league the last few years ? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I thinking it's better if he isn't there at all because he just *might* flip his career around.  

Guy had talent at one time in life.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Can they do that? Must he not play in the minors if he wants to?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nuII. Show nuII's posts

He's a bum!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=413185

Mckenzie went over how you get to this when discussing Redden.  That total amnesty buy-out is just too important.  You have to take advantage if you have a guy who will be paid anywhere near 10% of next year's cap and contribute next to nothing or nothing.  And that's brutal for the player because, if it was hard for Redden or Gomez to find a team now, imagine how much harder it will be after a year of no hockey?  Gomez is done in North America.  So's Redden.  Both might find takers in Europe if they feel like it, but with the amount of cash they'll bank on the buy-out, they may just move on with their lives.  Not exactly a sob story for them, but it can't be easy to know that the team thinks the best place for you is in bubblewrap.

[/QUOTE

friendly bet gomez plays again in the NHL.  he has too much skill for him not to get someone's attention.  Great wheels and can get in the pp zone with ease.  I never thought he was a first line player.  But tell me some team hurting at center couldn't use his experience.  I will even say a team like van.  Obviously not at his hideous rate now.  But someone will give him a chance.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes!

[/QUOTE]

I finally found common ground with NAS - we're both comic geeks :p

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Why would they keep him on the payroll when they could just use that new amnesty clause on him?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to mannyortez3424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why would they keep him on the payroll when they could just use that new amnesty clause on him?

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that comes into effect until next year. The Habs don't want him to get hurt this year, then they would not be able to buy him out. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]

My only concern when the Bruins played the scabs was that he'd break out against Boston before going back into whatever dimension he now lives in.  Get him to say "Zemog" and he has to leave, that sort of thing.  Gomez...Gazoo....

[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one who half expects Gomez to say "Toodle-loo dumb dumbs" in his exit interview?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Aaaaaand the PA isn't going to just let this happen.  TSN.ca for the link (forgot to cut and paste).

The ink on the final agreement isn't dry yet - I wonder if they make a Europe exception where the players sign waivers that say they are playing in Europe against the will of the team and therefore understand that they can be bought out or traded while injured as a result.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mannyortez3424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that comes into effect until next year. The Habs don't want him to get hurt this year, then they would not be able to buy him out. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, 50...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This time with the link - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

League and PA agree to accelerate the buy-out window this week for one player with a cap hit over $3M. 

"Hi, Tim?  Peter...."

I wonder if the Bruins would do this.  On the one hand, it's about the only way to get Thomas's cap hit off the books for this year, and probably the only way that only costs dollars.  We've discussed the likelihood of the Bruins choosing to keep Thomas under contract next year when he attempts to come back with the hope of dealing him for something, but is that risk, which also means having Thomas's cap hit on the books next year, worth whatever you might get in trade for a 40 year old netminder who hasn't played in 18 months?

No. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

This time with the link - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

League and PA agree to accelerate the buy-out window this week for one player with a cap hit over $3M. 

"Hi, Tim?  Peter...."

I wonder if the Bruins would do this.  On the one hand, it's about the only way to get Thomas's cap hit off the books for this year, and probably the only way that only costs dollars.  We've discussed the likelihood of the Bruins choosing to keep Thomas under contract next year when he attempts to come back with the hope of dealing him for something, but is that risk, which also means having Thomas's cap hit on the books next year, worth whatever you might get in trade for a 40 year old netminder who hasn't played in 18 months?

No. 

[/QUOTE]

No point Book. It still counts against the cap for this year (though not next year). The only reason they are doing this is so players are not buried in the minors or told to stay home.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ah but, a 900,000 savings for potential trade space with a buyout of TT now, or trade looming as he is willing to play next year.  All is good in Bs land.  Bye bye Gomes, welcome back Redden.  It certainly places the onus on players who wish to stay in the urban area they now play!  Welcome back JM!

Sections
Shortcuts