Fun with Numbers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Fun with Numbers

13:  Regular season goals scored by Johnny Boychuk

29:  Goal differential between Tyler Seguin and every other draft pick from 2007-2011.

148:  Number of AHL games Matt Lashoff has played since being the main part of the trade for Mark Recchi.

52:  NHL goals scored by Jordan Eberle, 22nd pick in the '08 draft in which the B's took Joe Colborne at 16.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: Fun with Numbers

13:  Regular season goals scored by Johnny Boychuk

What was all that about Boychuck being overpaid a couple weeks back? Solid guy, and someone who could be a top 4 for this team a long, long time.

Speaking of...anyone else want to see Seidenberg get extended a couple more years now before he even sniffs free agency?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Fun with Numbers:[QUOTE]13:  . Speaking of...anyone else want to see Seidenberg get extended a couple more years now before he even sniffs free agency ? Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Siedenberg went from "thought of as journeyman Dman" to a primetime playoff minutes horse. I would say there is a very good chance that he doesn't up root his family now asmaha.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The numbers are positive, and support the Chara/Seids/Boychuck/McQuaid/ Ference core defense. Still need to consider Boychuck's mental lapses, although they could be the result of less than stellar coaching. I know, don't blame the coaches, but, without improvement, it does point out an area of concern. Ference is smart, but, as we've seen, larger, faster offensive players are running over his best efforts, and that concern must carry over to the Krug evaluation. By the way, let's stick to perspectives rather than criticize other's commentaries.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It's amazing, in hindsight, that so many people passed on Eberle.  I actually watched a lot of Oilers games last year and I wouldn't hesitate to say that he was better than either of the #1 picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

I'm a bit confused by the 29 number - what exactly do you mean by it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Fun with Numbers:
    [QUOTE]13:  Regular season goals scored by Johnny Boychuk 29:  Goal differential between Tyler Seguin and every other draft pick from 2007-2011. 148:  Number of AHL games Matt Lashoff has played since being the main part of the trade for Mark Recchi. 52:  NHL goals scored by Jordan Eberle, 22nd pick in the '08 draft in which the B's took Joe Colborne at 16.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Coincidentally, 148 is the number of time (so far) that I wish the Evander Kane thread would die.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Fun with Numbers:
    [QUOTE]I'm a bit confused by the 29 number - what exactly do you mean by it?
    Posted by matttt87[/QUOTE]

I believe it means among Bruin draft picks during that period.  Right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fun with Numbers : I believe it means among Bruin draft picks during that period.  Right?
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Ahhh that could make sense, I'm not going to look into it but it seems much more realistic.

Thanks Fletch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

+ Seguin -  40 goals.
    - Caron -    10 goals.
    - Colborne -  1 goal.

Gotta remember that Eberle was drafted before he developed a rep as a clutch scorer on big stages.  He was usually overshadowed by Hodgson and others at the Ivan Hlinka and the U18 championships, and by Tavares and Hodgson at the 2009 WJHC.  It wasn't until 2010 that he got the rep as a star in waiting - two years after his draft.  He never had much success in the WHL playoffs, and his numbers weren't crazy until his final year of Jr.  He's a smallish player at 5'10 or 5'11" and between 175 and 185.  He's a good skater but not a blazingly fast guy.  But the whole package of skills comes together better than most could predict in 2008.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]+ Seguin -  40 goals. - Caron -    10 goals. - Colborne -  1 goal. ________________ Seguin      +29 goals. Gotta remember that Eberle was drafted before he developed a rep as a clutch scorer on big stages.  He was usually overshadowed by Hodgson and others at the Ivan Hlinka and the U18 championships, and by Tavares and Hodgson at the 2009 WJHC.  It wasn't until 2010 that he got the rep as a star in waiting - two years after his draft.  He never had much success in the WHL playoffs, and his numbers weren't crazy until his final year of Jr.  He's a smallish player at 5'10 or 5'11" and between 175 and 185.  He's a good skater but not a blazingly fast guy.  But the whole package of skills comes together better than most could predict in 2008.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

That's actually exactly what I forget.  I remember how outstanding Eberle was in the 2009-10(?) WJC and then recall that he had long since been drafted.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

[QUOTE]13:  Regular season goals scored by Johnny Boychuk What was all that about Boychuck being overpaid a couple weeks back? Solid guy, and someone who could be a top 4 for this team a long, long time. Speaking of...anyone else want to see Seidenberg get extended a couple more years now before he even sniffs free agency?
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

You misunderstand. Those are not solid numbers, because they aren't for this season, they are for his career. in 202 NHL games, he has 13 goals. 5 goals this season. so that stuff people we're saying a few weeks ago about him being overpaid....they're still being said. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Which is goofy considering that defensemen who play D as well as JB and score are being paid closer to $5M these days.  Anton Volchenkov, who is a better defensive player but scores almost exactly at the same rate as JB pulled down a $4.25M 6 year deal two years before Boychuk's new deal will kick in.  Boychuk as 85% of Volchenkov?  That sounds about right.  But ask Chara; he played with both of them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Those four numbers tell a lot of stories.  On the one hand, it's the futility of the Bruins's drafts under Chiarelli.  Hamill, Cross, Sauve, Colborne, Knight, Spooner - first or second rounders who haven't made any impact on the Bruins as players.  Caron has at least played almost a full season's worth of games.  But then you throw in Eberle, a guy just about every team outside of the top 4 (and maybe Ottawa with Karlsson) wishes they'd take instead of whoever they did take - and we're reminded that the draft is never an exact science.

On the other hand, it's the story of how effective the Bruins have been in making trades with non-NHL players - Boychuk for a fifth, Lashoff and Karsums for Recchi and a second that was part of the deal for Horton and Campbell, Colborne for Kaberle.  Drafted players are valuable assets - sometimes you can barter them for something worth far more based on 'potential'. 

On the Boychuk/Lashoff front, it's also the story of how one guy known for being an offensive force in Jr and the AHL became a regular in Boston by adapting and the other has become an AHL lifer because he has spaghetti brains.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, yeah - one more -

It's incredible how much the Laffs and Bruins are intertwined in that selection of numbers.  Seguin is obvious, but Colborne and Lashoff are now Marlies teammates.  The Bruins took Lashoff one pick after the Laffs took a Rask.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Just to be a nuisance, but what numbers would i use to describe the decreasing Bruins pp % and do I compare that to the "scoring is down" numbers over the past three years.  Correlations bogle the mind!  Geoff Ward syndrome!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fun with Numbers : That's actually exactly what I forget.  I remember how outstanding Eberle was in the 2009-10(?) WJC and then recall that he had long since been drafted.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I remember Eberle being highly thought before the draft. Then he had that outstanding WJC afterwards, perhaps I'm remembering it wrong, but I thought there was alot of hype with him before he was eligible.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Regular first round pick "hype", though - he was never in the conversation for a top ten as far as I remember.