Game 1: Leafs v. Bruins (01/05/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 1: Leafs v. Bruins (01/05/13)

Game 1: March to the Cup;

Preview

Last 10: Toronto 5-4-1; Boston 3-5-2

Season series: The Boston Bruins won three of the four regular-season meetings while outscoring the Toronto Maple Leafs, 10-7 in those games. The season finale was March 25 at TD Garden -- a 3-2 victory by the Bruins in a shootout.

Big story: The Northeast Division foes will be meeting in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the 14th time in League history. Toronto holds an 8-5 lead but Boston has won the past three series; the most recent coming in four-game sweep in the 1974 Quarterfinals. The Bruins went on to lose a six-game series to the Philadelphia Flyers in the '74 Stanley Cup Final.

Team Scope:

Maple Leafs:
    Toronto is back in the postseason for the first time since 2004, when it dropped a six-game series to the Flyers in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. Nazem Kadri had two goals and one assist and Mikhail Grabovski had a goal and two assists to pace the Leafs in four games against the Bruins in 2012-13. Phil Kessel was the offensive catalyst for the Leafs all season, striking for 20 goals and 52 points. James Reimer will be the starter in goal. The 25-year-old, who will be experiencing his first playoff action, finished 19-8-5 with a career-low 2.46 goals-against average and career-high .924 save percentage.

Coach Randy Carlyle discounted the Bruins' late-season struggles.

"I think you throw it all out because it's an old cliche, a new season, but it is," he said Tuesday. "We've said right from Day 1 the next one is the most important one and that has held true.

"I'd expect we're going to get a Boston Bruins team that's different than the last two weeks of their season and I'd expect we're going to get a higher brand of hockey from our club also."

Bruins: The Bruins didn't close out the regular season as well as they would have liked, finishing 3-5-2 over their last 10 games and dropping to the fourth seed in the  East. Still, the club possesses a well-balanced group that could rekindle some of the early-season magic. In the four regular-season matches against the Maple Leafs this season, the Bruins were led by Patrice Bergeron (two goals, four points) and Brad Marchand (four assists). Jaromir Jagr, who was acquired at the NHL Trade Deadline, had two goals and nine points in 11 games since joining the team. Despite losing his last two starts, Tuukka Rask finished the season 19-10-5 with a 2.00 GAA and .929 save percentage.

"All I know is that we're starting a new season and we've earned a spot in the playoffs, which we should be proud of," coach Claude Julien said. "It's an opportunity for us to challenge for the Cup. So we have to get ourselves ready and build some good momentum going forward."

Who's hot: Kessel closed out the regular season with 10 goals and 18 points in the last 11 games for the Leafs. However, the former Bruin has just three goals in 22 games against his old team.

Injury report: Bruins forward Nathan Horton (hand) has missed five straight games. Jagr missed the last two games with flu symptoms. … Center Tyler Bozak (shoulder) has missed the last two regular-season games for the Maple Leafs and is questionable for Game 1, though he said he intends to play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Game 1: Leafs v. Bruins (01/05/13)

"All I know is that we're starting a new season and we've earned a spot in the playoffs, which we should be proud of," coach Claude Julien said.

--

Yes!  I'm thrilled they're in. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Seems like he is really lowering expectations (much like PC did) which is not a bad thing. No reason to chest-thump and give the Loafs extra motivation.

Carlyle appears to be doing the same thing with his quote as well. It will be interesting to see if he dresses both Orr and McLaren tonight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Loaf Nation already starting with the ridiculous articles:

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=422113

The one above is comparing Reimer with hall-of famer Belfour in rather favourable fashion.

Really? Until Reimer actually backstops his team to at least one playoff series win, this should not even be up for discussion.

One commenter actually suggested Reimer be included as a Hart nominee....lol.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Suggesting that a goalie with a GAA of 2.46 was the key to the team's success seems like a damning of the defense in front of him.

In other news, the 7th rounder used to get Redden becomes a 6th rounder as soon as he steps on the ice.  Oh no!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

In other news, the 7th rounder used to get Redden becomes a 6th rounder as soon as he steps on the ice.  Oh no!

So, tonight then?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

GNB's (Hags/Fluto) take (includes projected lineup for TO as well):

Good morning from TD Garden, where the Bruins will launch the 2013 playoffs tonight against the Maple Leafs.

Nathan Horton practiced Tuesday for the first time since suffering an upper-body injury on April 20. Horton could be available tonight to play alongside usual linemates Milan Lucic and David Krejci.

Rich Peverley, a playoff regular, could be a healthy scratch. Peverley was a spare forward in Tuesday’s practice. Kaspars Daugavins took regular shifts on the No. 3 line with Chris Kelly and Jaromir Jagr.

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley, Naoko Funayama),98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Leafs 0-0, Bruins 0-0

Projected Leafs lineup (courtesy of the Toronto Star):

James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Phil Kessel
    Joffrey Lupul-Mikhail Grabovski-Nikolai Kulemin
    Clarke MacArthur-Nazem Kadri-Matt Frattin
    Leo Komarov-Jay McClement-Colton Orr

Carl Gunnarsson-Dion Phaneuf
    Mark Fraser-Cody Franson
    John-Michael Liles-Ryan O’Byrne

James Reimer
    Ben Scrivens

Healthy scratches: Joe Colborne, Frazer McLaren, Ryan Hamilton, Jake Gardiner, Mike Kostka

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Tyler Seguin
    Kaspars Daugavins-Chris Kelly-Jaromir Jagr
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Johnny Boychuk
    Wade Redden-Adam McQuaid

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Dougie Hamilton, Aaron Johnson, Rich Peverley, Carl Soderberg, Jay Pandolfo

Storylines: Wade Redden is expected to play tonight on the third defensive pair with Adam McQuaid. The Bruins traded a conditional 2014 seventh-round pick to St. Louis for Redden. The condition was that it would become a sixth-round selection if Redden appeared in one playoff game… McQuaid will make his first postseason appearance since 2011. McQuaid missed last year’s playoffs because of a concussion… The primary question with the Maple Leafs is the availability of Tyler Bozak. The top-line center didn’t play the last two games because of an upper-body injury. If Bozak can play, he should slot in between James van Riemsdyk and Phil Kessel… Kelly Sutherland and Chris Lee will be the referees. Jean Morin and Scott Driscoll will be the linesmen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

"Chris Lee"

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dez, text this joker and tell him that no one wants to see 400 powerplays tonight!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

"Chris Lee"

Dez, text this joker and tell him that no one wants to see 400 powerplays tonight!

Stop crying about the refs :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

This wasn't a "the refs hate the Bruins" post!  It was "Chris Lee loves the spotlight" post!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

This wasn't a "the refs hate the Bruins" post!  It was "Chris Lee loves the spotlight" post!

LMAO that's what I've been sayin' all along .....  now let's have Chowdah tune in and see if he can see the difference bwteen the two.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

too funny.  right on cue at the mere mention of the word "refs" null goes into a posting frenzy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Rask apparently tweaked he knee during the morning skate and went down.  Stayed on the ice and appeared fine anter stretching it out.  So basically I started my day with a slight heart attack, wonder how I will be doing once the game starts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Horton is a game time decision but should be a go......

TO likely sitting at least one of their goons, Mclaren looks like the odd man out. Whatever will the Buds do without his offensive prowess?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Anyone know of an online link available?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Anyone know of an online link available?

When the game begins try one of these which should direct you to multiple options:

http://www.streamhunter.eu/hockey-live-streaming-video.html

http://www.firstrow1.eu/sport/ice-hockey.html

At least one stream should work....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Uh oh....Kadri gives the B's some bulletin board material:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422145

"This is a very, very winnable series for us."-Kadri

Good luck kid....

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Uh oh....Kadri gives the B's some bulletin board material:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422145

"This is a very, very winnable series for us."-Kadri

Good luck kid....

Its ok to show some confidence but i don't know if i would have went that far.We'll see soon enough if Kadri knows something i don't. B's will prevail according to me, its a very, very winnable series according to me as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

"Chris Lee"

I don't actually have his number anymore. Haven't seen him in about 5 years. I can contact Tim Peel if need be but that won't really help though. I agree that Lee is getting too much like Kerry Fraser for my liking.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Hopefully its one and done for Chris "don't call me Bruce" Lee.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Its ok to show some confidence but i don't know if i would have went that far.We'll see soon enough if Kadri knows something i don't. B's will prevail according to me, its a very, very winnable series according to me as well.

I think if he had said something along the lines of "if we play our game and play hard I am confident we can win" then it would be fine.

But to have a rookie who has never played a single second of NHL playoff hockey spout off about how "very, very winnable this series is", especially against a team that just won the cup 2 seasons ago and has beaten his team 3 out of 4 games in the regular season, is just stupid on his part.

Let the coaches and vets handle the media dear boy...