Game 15: Leafs v. Bruins (11/09/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 16: Leafs v. Bruins (11/09/13)

TO media buliding this up as "THE RETURN".....lol. Gotta love the hype:

MAPLE LEAFS (11-5-0) at BRUINS (9-5-1)

TV: CBC, NHLN-US, NESN

Last 10: Toronto 6-4-0; Boston 6-3-1

Season series: This is the first of four games. Last season, the Boston Bruins won three of four in the regular season before facing the Toronto Maple Leafs in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Bruins took a 3-1 lead in the series, which they won in seven games.

Big story: Toronto returns to TD Garden for the first time since blowing a 4-2 lead with 1:22 remaining in the third period of Game 7. Boston scored the next three goals, the last by Patrice Bergeron 6:05 into overtime, to advance. The Bruins went on to reach the Stanley Cup Final.

James Reimer, who allowed those three goals (and the first two), will get the start after Jonathan Bernier played against the New Jersey Devils on Friday.

"Sure, we'll want to go into Boston and have a good game," Reimer told the Toronto Sun. "It's a new season and we've got over what's happened. … I'd want to go in there and play well, but even if you win, it doesn't prove anything. If we were to play them again in the playoffs, that would be the retribution."

Team Scope:

Maple Leafs: Toronto had five days off before a 2-1 shootout win against New Jersey in David Clarkson's first game against his former team. That reunion, and the Hall of Fame festivities in Toronto, helped put the return to Boston in the background, but there will be no escaping it Saturday.

"It's something that happened, something we'll have to answer to, something we have to deal with," center Jay McClement told the Sun. "But our goal is to get into that situation again and handle it a lot better.

"We have other concerns right now. We have to get our game back to where it should be. [Boston] is not something that has been brought up around here."

With injuries sidelining forwards Dave Bolland, Tyler Bozak and Colton Orr, Toronto used seven defensemen Friday. Six forwards logged more than 20 minutes in the first of the back-to-back.

Bruins: Boston had lost four of five and held a 1-0 lead heading into the third period against the Florida Panthers on Thursday. The Bruins then outscored the Panthers 3-1, and outshot them 14-7, to complete a 4-1 win.

"I think the important thing is to build on that period, and hopefully carry that [into] the start for tomorrow night, and hopefully get better by the end of that game as well," coach Claude Julien told Bruins Beat on the team website Friday.

Boston started the season 7-2-0 before the 1-3-1 stretch that included two home losses.

"During the course of a year you go through those, but you want to make them as short as possible and get back to everyone feeling good and confident and getting things rolling again," forward Jarome Iginla said.

Who's hot: Reimer is 4-1-0 with a .942 save percentage that was tied for third in the NHL. … Bruins defenseman Torey Krug scored Thursday, his sixth goal of the season, tying him for the League lead at the position with Erik Karlsson of the Ottawa Senators. Forward Reilly Smith has four points (one goal) in his past three games.

Injury report: Maple Leafs defenseman Mark Fraser (knee) returned to play Friday; Orr (undisclosed) was scratched. Bolland (ankle) and Bozak (lower body) are out indefinitely. … The Bruins are healthy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Game 15: Leafs v. Bruins (11/09/13)

Toronto will be hungry.  B's better be ready.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Utah! get me Sixty!, that's Sixty!"

The two-man forecheck will be all on the Bruins tonight!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Personally, I am looking to see how the B's handle TO's speed, and how many times ST throws a low percentage shot at the net (but hey, you never know, right?).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I just noticed Phaneuf is a +10 and Chara -1....did the world end last night or something?

Or is this some kind of Seinfeldian bizarro-world thing?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Personally, I am looking to see how the B's handle TO's speed, and how many times ST throws a low percentage shot at the net (but hey, you never know, right?).

Oh the look on Bernier's face after Ryder threw that shot on him. It was Bobby Lou esque LoL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Leafs have too many injuries and have been out shot in most of their games.  Bruins win 5-2

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Watched the Devils/Leafs game last night. Nice goal by Kessel and why did the Leafs pay David Clarkson $5 mil a year again?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Leafs have too many injuries and have been out shot in most of their games.  Bruins win 5-2

Are you a Stanley in sheep's clothing?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

What I don't want to see from the Bruins is another slow start.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

bruins win tonight 4-2

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I could just see Harry tonight watching the game, onto his 4th whiskey sour, "Death, taxes, Montreal gets the first PP at the Forum and the Bruins off to another...ZZZzzzzz".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I could just see Harry tonight watching the game, onto his 4th whiskey sour, "Death, taxes, Montreal gets the first PP at the Forum and the Bruins off to another...ZZZzzzzz".

Just part of CJ's master plan...the ole ropeadope. Much better than the Dave Lewis 3rd period collapse schtik.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

I just noticed Phaneuf is a +10 and Chara -1....did the world end last night or something?

Think it is a case of the big guy loosing a step and teams attacking him like Chicago and the Leafs did in the play offs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Just part of CJ's master plan...the ole ropeadope. Much better than the Dave Lewis 3rd period collapse schtik.

And at least one too many men on the ice per game too really make the game plan come full circle.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't think Chara's lost a step.  I think his problems have been mental this year, like the terrible decision to change against Dallas.  If he reads that differently and stays on, they probably bank two points and we're talking about how quiet Seguin was in his return.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

Think it is a case of the big guy loosing a step and teams attacking him like Chicago and the Leafs did in the play offs

You could also look at it this way Kitch- Do the Bruins get to the finals in 2011 and 2013 without Chara ?

if Zdeno is on the ice against the teams best line, of course they have to attack him down low.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

Are you a Stanley in sheep's clothing?

Are you NAS in a moo-moo

• You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

i was talking recently with someone and it seems that chara is slower noticed that last season. 

also with Chara when he shoots because of his long build it gives the goalies time to set up .

• You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Starting Reimer is a BIG gamble by Carlisle - two ways it can go really good or REALLY bad.

Seeing as it's in Boston, I'm thinking, the latter.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

shupe, you mean this is hang?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I'm hoping to avoid seeing Rask throw both hands in the air in a "What the..?!" and staring down his D-guys because of it, San.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

shupe, you mean this is hang?

Haha.  Very well done. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"Leafs forward Jay McClement, looked to take something positive from the playoff loss.

"Our goal is to not worry about it, but our goal is to get in to that situation again and handle it better," he said.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

"Leafs forward Jay McClement, looked to take something positive from the playoff loss.

"Our goal is to not worry about it, but our goal is to get in to that situation again and handle it better," he said.

lol....he means handle losing that way better? lol

• Sections
    Shortcuts