Game 2: NVR v. Bruins (19/05/13). 1-0 B's Series Leads

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 2: NVR v. Bruins (19/05/13). 1-0 B's Series Leads

Preview:

***Clowsey and Powesy still injured for the Rags, also Staal***

Big story: There have been two days to digest the Boston Bruins' 3-2 overtime win against the New York Rangers in Game 1 on Thursday at TD Garden. Brad Marchand scored the winner at 15:40 on the Bruins' 16th shot on goal in overtime. Each team held a full practices Saturday after spending Friday doing mostly video work to break down Game 1.

Team Scope:

Rangers: New York didn't mind having the extra day off between Games 1 and 2. The Rangers feel it gave them a chance to refocus on the new opponent after going through a feeling-out period for a good portion of Game 1.

"I think it's good after a Game 1 to get a chance to look at some video, things to look at, things you need to improve on, so it's definitely a good break in between," Rangers captain Ryan Callahan said. "They're a good team. They come at you hard. They're hard on the forecheck. They're very good in the neutral zone. I think we turned the puck over a little too much in the neutral zone and they had some counters off of that. It's no secret, they're a good club over there and that's what they showed us in Game 1."

The Rangers power play continues to be a story for its ineffectiveness. They were listless with the man-advantage in Game 1 and went 0-for-3 with three shots on goal. They are 2-for-31 through eight Stanley Cup Playoff games.

There was a double-down effect in Game 1 because the Bruins scored a power-play goal and gained momentum off of their power-play opportunity early in overtime.

"It's just a matter of executing the plays we have in place," Rangers forward Rick Nash said. "The coaching staff does the scouting and they put the right game plan and the system in play, it's just a matter of the players executing it."

Bruins: Much has been made about Boston's three rookie defensemen who played in Game 1 -- for good reason. Matt Bartkowski, Dougie Hamilton and Torey Krug had a major impact on the outcome.

Krug, who made his Stanley Cup Playoff debut in Game 1, scored the game-tying goal on the power play 2:55 into the third period. Bartkowski played 26:42 and had three hits and two blocked shots. Hamilton, who is paired with Zdeno Chara, played over 20 minutes and had five shots on goal.

"For a coach, you couldn't ask for a better situation," Bruins coach Claude Julien said. "A lot of credit goes to the coaching staff down there [in Providence of the American Hockey League] that's done a great job at preparing those guys."

They all likely will be back in for Game 2 though veteran Wade Redden appears healthy now after participating in the full practice Saturday. Dennis Seidenberg (lower body) and Andrew Ference (lower body) are likely out, even though Seidenberg skated on his own Saturday. Ference hasn't resumed skating yet.

Who's hot: Chara played 38:02 in Game 1 and had a goal, an assist and nine shots on goal. Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron had an assist on the game-winner after scoring the game-tying goal and overtime winner in Game 7 against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Forward David Krejci picked up another point in Game 1 to give him 14 in the playoffs. ... Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh played nearly 32 minutes, scored a goal, had five hits and three blocked shots in Game 1.

Injury report: The Rangers will be without defenseman Marc Staal (eye), forward Ryane Clowe (undisclosed) and forward Darroll Powe (undisclosed). ... The Bruins are depleted on the blue line with Ference (lower body) and Seidenberg (undisclosed) injured.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Game 2: NYR v. Bruins (19/05/13). 1-0 B's Series Leads

Damn, can't edit the title...oh well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Game 2: NVR v. Bruins (19/05/13). 1-0 B's Series Leads

I know it won't happen but would love to see the B's win 6-0 or something like that just in case Tort's head might explode.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No worries on the title, JMW.  I didn't even notice it until you metioned it.

I'm pretty excited for this game today.  Because of the way the season unfolded, I feel like it's been a month since the B's last played.

I've got a date with a new chick tonight set for 7:30.  I'm hoping for a regulation or 1OT win for the B's.  She's already been made aware that our first date may be delayed or canceled all together should a marathon game ensue.

Yeah, I know how to treat the ladies.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I get the feeling this one won't go into overtime anyway. One team is going to really bring it today, its just a question of which one.

And I agree with 50, watching Tort's head explode would make for good TV.

It will be interesting to see which kid Redden will replace on the blueline. Likely Krug but you never know....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I'm pretty excited for this game today.  Because of the way the season unfolded, I feel like it's been a month since the B's last played.

I've got a date with a new chick tonight set for 7:30.  I'm hoping for a regulation or 1OT win for the B's.  She's already been made aware that our first date may be delayed or canceled all together should a marathon game ensue.

A regular Don Juan! Business first,pleasure later. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Damn right, 50!

As for the defense, I wonder if Krug is a better option than Hamilton.  Krug is older and more mature (by default).  I don't recall any miscues from him last game, but do recall Hamilton being so careful not to make a mistake that he made a mistake or two.

It'll be interesting to see what Julien does.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Can' t wait for this game, too bad I have to follow it on the scoreboard and watch the PVR version later today.  NAS hopefully for her sake the Bruins win, don't know what your mood would be like if they loose.  I know I'm not to pleasant to be around after they loose.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I have no problem with going with the young D today. Then we can give Seidenberg, Ference , and Redden a couple more days to heal. I expect the Rangers to come out today and bring it as well and hope the Bruins can match the intensity. Have to go uncover the pool, then go get Burker King for everyone myself included, then going to join my Bruin board friends@ 3.GO BRUINS!!! Yes I am ready for this game since the conclusion of game one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger54m

Likely same youthful blueline for the Bruins this afternoon. Redden isn't ready to play. #TSN

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't mind going with the rookies for the short-term, but if it means Chara has to keep playing 38 minutes a game (unreal) then it's not sustainable for more than 2 or 3 games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I don't mind going with the rookies for the short-term, but if it means Chara has to keep playing 38 minutes a game (unreal) then it's not sustainable for more than 2 or 3 games.

Agreed Red, they played very well, but of the course of a series I think their inexperience may be exposed.

I wonder, with three rookies in the line up why didnt Torterella try to get at least Richards and Nash on the ice the same tme as them. I understand you want to spread out the scoring but Richards ont he fourh line doesnt make much sense to me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

Burker King for everyone myself included, 

Man, that sh*t will kill you.....lol. Just kididng.

I don't mind playing the kids either. The experience they are attaining at the moment is quite valuable and necessary for their devleopment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Rangers couldn't get their forecheck going at all last game. If Torts can get it going, that's when we may see what the three new D can really do defensively.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I don't mind playing the kids either. The experience they are attaining at the moment is quite valuable and necessary for their devleopment.

I know my weak spot. I'm hoping these 3 young kids on D can duplicate their performance like they did on Thursday night 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I know my weak spot. I'm hoping these 3 young kids on D can duplicate their performance like they did on Thursday night 

We will find out soon enough.

See you in a couple of hours....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not sure if it's unsustainable.  There really isn't any data to suggest it is or isn't.  A long time ago, guys used to play a lot more than they do today.  Yeah, the game was different, but skating was still skating.  In fact, it was more difficult back then with the low quality ice and bad skates.  Even in more recent memory, guys like Lidstrom and Bourque averaged over 30 minutes a game in the playoffs.

Chara is in a league all his own when it comes to physical abilities. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Burger King + Sunday Globe = stinky bathroom.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

"Who's the cool private dick
    That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
    NAS!
    Ya damn right!" - Theme From NAS - Isaac Hayes, 1971.

Regarding Game 2 I think the Rangers will try and get on the Bruins' D quicker - emphasis on the word try.  They'll be looking to get them to turn over the puck in effort of messing up the B's own end exit, perhaps rattling the young uns and creating scoring chances.  I see the Bruins being amped from the start matching the energy NYR hope to begin with.  I have a feeling the opening minutes will be more high-octane than the punch/counter-punch cautiousness of last game. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'm not sure if it's unsustainable.  There really isn't any data to suggest it is or isn't.  A long time ago, guys used to play a lot more than they do today.  Yeah, the game was different, but skating was still skating.  In fact, it was more difficult back then with the low quality ice and bad skates.  Even in more recent memory, guys like Lidstrom and Bourque averaged over 30 minutes a game in the playoffs.

Chara is in a league all his own when it comes to physical abilities. 

It wouldn't surprise us if he were the next Bourque or Lidstrom in terms of continuing to play at a high level as he approaches 40.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

If the Bruins get it done today I am not saying the series is over but I will be pretty confident that they are going to the Conference Final.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Torts way of motivating a player, public insults:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=17696&navid=nhl:topheads

I am glad CJ seems to have a little more class...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

I found this comical.  He insulted him and praised him all at once. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Rufus604's comment:

I found this comical.  He insulted him and praised him all at once. 

Speaking of praise, here's some words from Derick Brassard on Chara in today's Toronto Sun.  He was asked if he had to change his game when facing him:

"Honestly?  Yeah.  His stick and his reach and his presence are so big.  Sometimes you just need to stay away from him, especially when the puck is around the boards.  If you stay close to him, he's going to get a hold of you and you're ot going anywhere.  You need to use your feet and you need to put the puck in areas and skate into it and make sure you're far away from him."  Let's see if they do that today. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Starting lineups:

Text size + Today's Bruins lineup Link|Comments (0) Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff May 19, 2013 02:46 PM

By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff

Based on pregame warmups:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Jaromir Jagr
    Rich Peverley-Chris Kelly-Tyler Seguin
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dougie Hamilton
    Matt Bartkowski-Johnny Boychuk
    Torey Krug-Adam McQuaid

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Today's Rangers lineup Link|Comments (0) Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff May 19, 2013 02:46 PM

By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff

Based on pregame warmups:

Mats Zuccarello-Derick Brassard-Rick Nash
    Carl Hagelin-Derek Stepan-Ryan Callahan
    Taylor Pyatt-Brian Boyle-Derek Dorsett
    Chris Kreider-Brad Richards-Arron Asham

Ryan McDonagh-Anton Stralman
    Michael Del Zotto-Dan Girardi
    John Moore-Steve Eminger

Sections
Shortcuts