Game 28: Habs v. Bruins (12/05/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 28: Habs v. Bruins (12/05/13)

BRUINS (18-7-2) at CANADIENS (17-9-3)

TV: RDS, NESN, TSN-HABS

Last 10: Boston 7-2-1; Montreal 8-1-1

Season series: This is the first of four games between the Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens. They won't play each other again until Jan. 30 at TD Garden.

Big story: One of the best rivalries in sports resumes Thursday at Bell Centre, and the stakes are high. The surging Canadiens picked up another victory Wednesday against the New Jersey Devils and sit one point behind the Bruins for the Atlantic Division lead.

"Their team has really in the last month stabilized themselves," Bruins coach Claude Julien told the team website Wednesday when asked about the Canadiens. "Defensively, they're not giving much. They're right behind us in goals against."

Team Scope:

Bruins: Boston enjoyed four days off after playing eight games in 13 nights, including two sets of back-to-back games. But the heavy workload didn't seem to bother the Bruins much, considering they enter Thursday atop the Atlantic and will be searching for their third straight win.

"We had a couple bumps and bruises and the little extra time – because we've played a lot of games so far in a row – just to have a couple days in between, is kind of nice after last year having no days off and going that far in the playoffs," said defenseman Johnny Boychuk, who helped the Bruins reach the Stanley Cup Final last season before falling to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Canadiens: David Desharnais scored the game-tying goal at 19:23 of the third period and added the shootout winner to lead Montreal to a wild 4-3 victory against the Devils at Prudential Center on Wednesday.

The Canadiens and Devils combined for five goals in the third period, including three in the final four minutes. Montreal has won three straight and is 7-0-1 in its past eight games and 9-1-2 since losing 4-1 to the Ottawa Senators on Nov. 7.

"We've played good hockey," Desharnais said. "Sometimes it's not our best hockey, but we find ways to win. Confidence is up right now. Everybody is playing well. Everybody is doing their job. We're having fun. It's great."

Who's hot: Bruins center David Krejci has a goal and four assists in the past five games. … Canadiens captain Brian Gionta has a goal and four assists in his past four. Desharnais has nine points (three goals, six assists) in his past eight games.

Injury report: Bruins defenseman Torey Krug (undisclosed) practiced Wednesday and is listed as day-to-day. He did accompany the team to Montreal. Adam McQuaid (lower body) is also day-to-day. … Montreal is expected to be without forward Rene Bourque (upper body) and defenseman Davis Drewiske (shoulder).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Game 28: Habs v. Bruins (12/05/13)

Its gonna be a fun game.  let the bodies hit the floor.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Finally something exciting in the snoozefest of efficiency and calm that has carried through the fall.  

I hope Subban stomps a litter of puppies with his skates during intros tonight so we have something freak out.  It's high time for a little drama around here.

Ole %4#*)$#!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

That's the spirit shupe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Montreal is ripe for the taking, they havent lost in what, 8 games?? I think this is their 3rd game in 4 nights. I love the B's in this one.

Should be a good one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Section 106 I will be right there towatch this exciting game......and see the turtle who will not drop the gloves with Parros ....Chara will have to do the dirty job for Mr Sydney Thornton

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

That's the spirit shupe.

Montreal has been playing very tough.  Their 4th line has been prust moan parros.  They also have emelin and murray dishing out hits.  I think its gonna be rough.  Montreal has been pushed around by Boston so much they finally have a team that can play similar style.   The problem is that is their 4 th line.  Our crash comes from all lines and Iggy and Lucic are star players. Wish McQ was back for this one.  

Bring on the stinking habs.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Anyone know where BsL is?   Hope hes doing ok.  I miss his ref complaints during the game.  They normally go full tilt against the habs.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

They will, Shupe. Montreal bodies. Untouched.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

They usually play with a little more courage at home too.  This could easily be a "we're not gonna be pushed around anymore" game for them.

As far as the refs, I doubt there is any data to back claims of bias...but...I just hate watching the calls in the Bell Centre.  There is no stadium in the NHL that is more reactionary and keyed in to perceived infractions then Montreal.  You just hope they're not influenced.

Listen tonight for the gasps and cries from the crowd every time a Hab falls down.  It's crazy.  I sat next to a Hab fan at the Avs-Habs game a few weeks ago.  Lars Eller stepped on a stick and fell at one point.  This guy launches out of his seat, arms raised in the air, a shreaked something that sounded like "Oihhhh!".  I noticed others doing it too, all in toilet seat jerseys.  Seems soccer-ish. 

I asked him what 'that' was at one point, but he had no idea what I was talking about.  I even made the gesture (embarassing my wife).  Listen for it tonight...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Got to wonder about the scheduling when the B's have to wait until december to play the habs, and played CBJ twice already.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

Section 106 I will be right there towatch this exciting game......and see the turtle who will not drop the gloves with Parros ....Chara will have to do the dirty job for Mr Sydney Thornton

Enjoy game I'm there TOO.  A dozen rows from the ice

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Montreal is ripe for the taking, they havent lost in what, 8 games?? I think this is their 3rd game in 4 nights. I love the B's in this one.

Should be a good one.

Indeed, the scheduling shapes up well for the Bruins. And talent wise, they're better than Montreal top to bottom.

But with Carey Price playing as well as he is (and he didn't play last night, as I'm sure most of you already knew) and a team with plenty of character and leadership suddenly playing their best hockey of the year, who knows.

Doubt there are too many goals in the game, though. Probably a 3-2 kind of scoreline. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

Enjoy game I'm there TOO.  A dozen rows from the ice

Marco ...you are from Montreal ??   Or just on a visit ??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

My prediction : BRUINS 3.  Scabs 2 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The anticipation for the Bruins-Habs is awesome. Just a different feel of intensity becuase you have hitting, first place and the player boston fans love too hate - PK Subban!

The clock is slow damn it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Looking forward to Prust's annual beating at the hands of Lucic. always puts a smile on my face.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Fluto's take:

MONTREAL – Good morning from the Bell Centre, where the Bruins will kick off the Boston-Montreal rivalry Thursday against the Canadiens.

Montreal is coming off a 4-3 road shootout win over New Jersey. Peter Budaj started against the Devils, which should leave Carey Price in goal tonight against the Bruins.

The Bruins will be without Adam McQuaid, who aggravated his lower-body injury against Columbus last Saturday. McQuaid did not travel to Montreal.

Puck drop: 7:30 p.m.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley, Jamie Erdahl), 98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Bruins 18-7-2, Canadiens 17-9-3

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Jarome Iginla
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Loui Eriksson
    Carl Soderberg-Chris Kelly-Reilly Smith
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dougie Hamilton
    Dennis Seidenberg-Torey Krug
    Matt Bartkowski-Johnny Boychuk

Tuukka Rask
    Chad Johnson

Healthy scratches: Jordan Caron, Kevan Miller

Storylines: Kevan Miller is with the Bruins. Miller was recalled on an emergency basis because of injuries earlier this week to McQuaid and Torey Krug. Assuming Krug plays tonight, Miller should be the healthy scratch. Miller has never played an NHL road game … David Desharnais scored Montreal’s winning goal in the shootout last night. Desharnais also scored the game-tying goal at 19:23 of the third period … As usual, Montreal has been good on the power play. The Canadiens have scored on 23.8 percent of their power plays, fourth-best in the NH L… Possible scrappers include George Parros (37 penalty minutes), Brandon Prust (31), and Ryan White (25). Zdeno Chara and Milan Lucic have fought in consecutive games … Tim Peel and Dave Jackson will be the referees. Brad Kovachik and Matt MacPherson will be the linesmen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Any predictions as to who the first penalty will go to?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Montreal.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

Indeed, the scheduling shapes up well for the Bruins. And talent wise, they're better than Montreal top to bottom.

But with Carey Price playing as well as he is (and he didn't play last night, as I'm sure most of you already knew) and a team with plenty of character and leadership suddenly playing their best hockey of the year, who knows.

Doubt there are too many goals in the game, though. Probably a 3-2 kind of scoreline. 

Price has been great this season from what I've seen. Should be a doozy. B's/Habs are always required viewing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Douglas Murray, 2 minutes for lingering, time 10:42 of the 1st period.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

You know who drives me nuts, is Gallagher.  I'd love him on the Bruins.  I like everything he does and hate that he does it for the Habs.  Seems like he has an extra gear for the Bruins games too, as he should.  Bet I'll be cursing him tonight...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

If Tuukka plays well and there aren't any weird bounces or phantom calls the B's will prevail, 4-1.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

You know who drives me nuts, is Gallagher.  I'd love him on the Bruins.  I like everything he does and hate that he does it for the Habs.  Seems like he has an extra gear for the Bruins games too, as he should.  Bet I'll be cursing him tonight...

Marchand will just have to turn it up a notch to combat Gallagher.

Sections
Shortcuts