Game 3: Bruins v Leafs (06/05/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 3: Bruins v Leafs (06/05/13)

BRUINS at MAPLE LEAFS

(Best-of-7 series tied 1-1)

TV: CBC, RDS, NHLN-US, NESN

Big story: The last time the Toronto Maple Leafs hosted a game in the Stanley Cup Playoffs no one had heard of iPhones, Barack Obama was an Illinois state senator pondering a run for Congress and Leafs forward Nazem Kadri was just 13 years old. Nine years have passed since Canada's largest city last saw postseason NHL hockey, but that will all change Monday night when the Leafs host the Boston Bruins for Game 3 of their Eastern Conference Quarterfinals series. While the event will be cause for celebration, the stakes will be high as each team looks to take a 2-1 series lead.

Team Scope:

Bruins: After significantly outplaying Toronto in Game 1 of the series, the Bruins faced a more-stout opponent in Game 2, particularly on the physical side. Boston is not a team that has shied away from the physical aspects of the game, but the Maple Leafs, also known for their toughness, outhit Boston while blocking 17 shots. As a result the Bruins have lost their home ice advantage and will need to steal Game 3 or 4 at Air Canada Centre to regain that edge.

In addition to matching Toronto physically, the Bruins are looking for more offensive production, particularly from Jaromir Jagr's line with Rich Peverley and Chris Kelly. Coach Claude Julien implied Sunday that Jagr may still be recovering from a recent flu bug, but if the future Hall of Famer, who is scoreless in the series so far, can start producing, the Bruins might take back the series lead.

Maple Leafs: After being dramatically outworked by the Bruins in Game 1, the Leafs returned the favor in Game 2 Saturday night, earning a 4-2 win and a crucial split of the series' first two games in Boston. Much of that came courtesy of two goals by Joffrey Lupul and a superb 39-save performance by goalie James Reimer, but an emotional lift also came from Phil Kessel scoring an even-strength goal against his former team for the first time in 24 career meetings.

The Leafs likely couldn't have asked for a better sendoff as they come home to host their first home playoff game since Toronto lost to Philadelphia in Game 6 of the 2004 Eastern Conference Semifinals. Monday will be the first playoff game at the Air Canada Centre in nine years and two days, and with the pent up excitement of the crowd, expect Toronto to get a significant boost in energy when the puck drops.

Who's hot: Johnny Boychuk isn't exactly known for his scoring touch, but the Boston defenseman has two goals in the series' first two games. ... Toronto's James van Riemdsdyk made the highlights by scoring in Game 2 while he was falling to the ice for his second goal of the series.

Injury report: Toronto defenseman Mike Kostka (broken finger) is out indefinitely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Game 3: Bruins v Leafs (06/05/13)

As Per Fluto:

TORONTO – Good morning from the Air Canada Centre, where the Bruins will look to take a 2-1 series lead tonight against the Maple Leafs.

Andrew Ference, suspended for Game 2, will return to the lineup tonight. With Ference back in, Dougie Hamilton should be the healthy scratch.

Ference’s return will also put the pairings back to Game 1 normalcy. Zdeno Chara and Dennis Seidenberg will be the shutdown pair. Seidenberg will return to the right side.

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley, Naoko Funayama),98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Bruins 1-1, Leafs 1-1

Projected Leafs lineup:

Joffrey Lupul-Tyler Bozak-Phil Kessel
    James van Riemsdyk-Mikhail Grabovski-Nikolai Kulemin
    Leo Komarov-Nazem Kadri-Matt Frattin
    Ryan Hamilton-Jay McClement-Colton Orr

Carl Gunnarsson-Dion Phaneuf
    Mark Fraser-Cody Franson
    Jake Gardiner-Ryan O’Byrne

James Reimer
    Ben Scrivens

Healthy scratches: Joe Colborne, Frazer McLaren, John-Michael Liles

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Tyler Seguin
    Rich Peverley-Chris Kelly-Jaromir Jagr
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Johnny Boychuk
    Wade Redden-Adam McQuaid

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Dougie Hamilton, Aaron Johnson, Kaspars Daugavins, Carl Soderberg, Jay Pandolfo

Storylines: Rich Peverley will most likely stay in the lineup for the second straight game. Peverley didn’t have much offensive chemistry with Chris Kelly and Jaromir Jagr. But Peverley won eight of 10 faceoffs. Kelly had struggled in Game 1 on the draw… The Bruins had just nine seconds of power-play time in Game 2. They need to draw more penalties by possessing the puck tonight… Drew MacIntyre has been returned to the Marlies. MacIntyre had been promoted because Ben Scrivens had to attend a family funeral on Friday… The Bruins are scheduled to practice at the Air Canada Centre Tuesday … Chris Rooney and Steve Kozari will be the referees. Shane Heyer and Don Henderson will be the linesmen.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Go Bruins.  Let the energy drain outta leaf land.  Nothing will be finer then hearing them boo their own players and leave an empty rink.  Bruins win 5-3.  Kelly big game.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Go Bruins.  Let the energy drain outta leaf land.  Nothing will be finer then hearing them boo their own players and leave an empty rink.  Bruins win 5-3.  Kelly big game.  

I wonder if they are serving waffles at the ACC tonight?

I think both Jagr and Seguin are due to break out and judging by the Leaf lineup (no changes) it is quite possible if not probable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't know if it's Chris "Duran" Kelly, shupe, but I see signs of the one key thing that's been missing all year - two lines going at the same time.  We saw it in game 1 with the first and fourth lines both playing very solid hockey, and then last game it was just the first line that had anything going.  Lots of "shouldacouldawouldas" for the second line, nothing from the third line but goals against, and not much from the fourth line.  I do think Bergeron and Marchand are still working their way back to 100%, though, and the last step is getting that offensive precision to finish their chances.  The Bergeron goal that was called back in game 1, Seguin finding the range, Marchand getting closer and closer to taking the puck to the net under control....  It's coming.  And I don't know that many teams can hang with the Bruins if both the Bergeron line and the Krejci line are playing their games and making the most of their offensive chances.

Go get it, Bs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I see the 3rd line dominating tonight.  Jagr loves the big stage.  Hes gonna rock the joint tonight. Kelly, peverly and jj are difference makers tonight.  Write that down.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

PS.  ST needs to learn that Orr is taking runs at our players all night and year.  Dont ask him to fight, dont wait fo him to run chara.  Go after him immediately.  its 5 minutes no one will care u r gone.  We realize you think you are a scorer.  You stink.  Now go get the other clown.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I see the 3rd line dominating tonight.  Jagr loves the big stage.  Hes gonna rock the joint tonight. Kelly, peverly and jj are difference makers tonight.  Write that down.  

Can't we be satisfied that you already did?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

PS.  ST needs to learn that Orr is taking runs at our players all night and year.  Dont ask him to fight, dont wait fo him to run chara.  Go after him immediately.  its 5 minutes no one will care u r gone.  We realize you think you are a scorer.  You stink.  Now go get the other clown.  

No reason for ST to stay in the lineup if he isn't scrapping Orr before the 1st period is over.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

It's coming.  And I don't know that many teams can hang with the Bruins if both the Bergeron line and the Krejci line are playing their games and making the most of their offensive chances.

Go get it, Bs.

Me thinks "its here." Tonight will be the night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Wow shupe is all kinds of fired up today.  I hope the B's don't dissapoint.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

No reason for ST to stay in the lineup if he isn't scrapping Orr before the 1st period is over.

preferably before puck drop

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Loaf fans talking a lot of smack:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422526

Let's hope the B's put them in their place tonight!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

It sure would be great to see Jagr and the 3rd line come alive. 1st line are starting to come around and you can see Bergeron's line about ready to pot a few goals.

PS : hats off to the Providence Bruins for coming back and forcing a game 5 at home this Wed. Good luck boys !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Really need to see the complete game from all 4 lines. the Leafs are all puffy, they need to be deflated.

Seguin finds the back of the net tonight for sure. A lot of good chances in the series so far, tonight they start going in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Interesting stat - Bruins lead the playoffs in shots/game with over 40.  Laffs are second to last with just over 26.  No one wins a cup based on having more shots, but you have to think that that reflects overall play.

My only worry is the Bruins are usually playing that "we can't score so just chuck it at the net" no confidence game when they have inflated shot totals.  In this case, though, I think it does reflect offensive zone presence.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

GO BRUINS!   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I have a feeling that the arena is going to be filled with corporate suits tonight and is going to be quieter than a regular season game. I may be wrong but ticket prices might keep the hardcore fans away ala Fenway Park in 03-08.

Hope I'm right. Don't want a Bell Centre redux.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Maybe he should learn FROM Orr.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

I have a feeling that the arena is going to be filled with corporate suits tonight and is going to be quieter than a regular season game. I may be wrong but ticket prices might keep the hardcore fans away ala Fenway Park in 03-08.

Hope I'm right. Don't want a Bell Centre redux.

I think u will be wrong. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Sorry folks, no win tonight. I got Boston in 7 and I think they play better when they are behind.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

Sorry folks, no win tonight. I got Boston in 7 and I think they play better when they are behind.

Thanks, Stanley.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

PS.  ST needs to learn that Orr is taking runs at our players all night and year.  Dont ask him to fight, dont wait fo him to run chara.  Go after him immediately.  its 5 minutes no one will care u r gone.  We realize you think you are a scorer.  You stink.  Now go get the other clown.  

I'm with you re Thornton, shupe.  I don't want him to display any kind of etiquette as we've seen him do on occasion.  I don't want this guy to represent any kind of reformed ruffian Bruin.  Just perform the role you are usually known for.  I want the Bruins to douse the blue 'n white flame that's burning around town since Saturday.  Surely the Bruins can match what the Sens did to the Diving Venuses last night in the hits department. 

In The Toronto Sun today Chris Neil said "We came out ready to play, we came hard, we had great hits.  Everyone finishing checks.  What it takes to win."  Watching last night's game it was as he described.  Tonight I'm hoping for a performance like this.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Blah!

I have to listen to the game on the radio tonight.  At the new girl's place in Ft. Lauderdale and she doesn't have the proper cable package.  Sooooooooooo weak.

Whatever.  Goucher and Beers do a good job.

Sections
Shortcuts