Game 3 Thread: Bruins v.Habs GDT (Series tied 1-1)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 3 Thread: Bruins v.Habs GDT (Series tied 1-1)

Here we go! Looking forward to plenty of killed penalties and Hab tears by the end of tonight!!

Big story: Despite the Boston Bruins' 5-3 win in Game 2 of this Eastern Conference Second Round series on Saturday, the Montreal Canadiens still got what they wanted: a road split of the first two games.

"We went to play two games where it's tough for any team to play in the NHL and we're out of there with the series tied," Montreal coach Michel Therrien said. "That's the big picture.

Team scope:

Bruins: If the Bruins are going to wrestle home-ice advantage back from the Canadiens, and maybe even eventually win this series, they're going to have to improve their special teams.

Through two games, the Bruins penalty kill has failed four of nine times and the power play has been fruitless in six tries.

While the power play has at least had its chances, the penalty kill has struggled to put up any resistance to point man P.K. Subban and the Canadiens.

"I think the biggest thing, when you look at the goals they have scored, they have come from the point and somehow we haven't been able to get into that shooting lane," coach Claude Julien said. "You have a guy like [forward Thomas] Vanek [Saturday] who has a great stick around the net. Some great tip-ins by Vanek, but there is no doubt that those shots are getting through from the back end and we just have to get better at that and we are going to keep working on fixing that. If we can do that I think it is going to help a lot."

Canadiens: By earning their split in Boston, the Canadiens now have home-ice advantage. They won their two home games in their first-round sweep of the Tampa Bay Lightning and feel most comfortable in front of their fans. But they won't be able to satisfy those fans if they don't get better at protecting leads. The Canadiens lost leads of 2-1 and 3-1 before winning Game 1. And they lost a 3-1 lead in the third period of Game 2.

However, they're confident they can improve their closing powers.

"There's no sense in celebrating too much after a win or beating yourself up after a loss," defenseman Josh Gorges said. "It doesn't do anything for you for the next game. We know where we stand. We know we have to be better."

Who's hot: Bruins defenseman Dougie Hamilton has two goals and four assists during a five-game point streak. Center Patrice Bergeron has two goals and six assists during a six-game point streak. … Vanek bounced back from a shot-less first game to score two power-play goals in Game 2 for Montreal. Subban has two goals and two assists in this series and a five-game point streak.

Injury report: Boston remains without forward Chris Kelly (back) and defensemen Dennis Seidenberg (ACL/MCL) and Adam McQuaid (ankle). Seidenberg has been practicing, though without contact. McQuaid is out of the season after surgery. … Montreal forward Rene Bourque (illness) missed practice Monday. Forward Alex Galchenyuk (lower body) skated prior to practice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Game 3 Thread: Bruins v.Habs GDT (Series tied 1-1)

Anybody have the lineups yet?   A lot depends on who is playing and who is not - Florek, Caron, Mez, Bart.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Not yet but the probable Habs lineup is on a separate thread I created......probably should have just stuck it on this one. Oh well....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I am so ready for this game.  I'd like to see Bartowski back in.  At his best he's better than Mezaros at his best.  A long work day is going to end with me at a sports bar watching this, and I can't wait.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am so ready for this game.  I'd like to see Bartowski back in.  At his best he's better than Mezaros at his best.  A long work day is going to end with me at a sports bar watching this, and I can't wait.

[/QUOTE]
    I was a Physics major in college; I tell you this because despite knowing a little bit about space and time, I have no idea why the clock ticks exponentially slower on Bruins' game day. It should be at least 3:00pm by now, and it's only 10:12... very excited for tonight's game!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If Therrien is tweaking the lines and plans to mix them up in game 2 then he is concerned about the 5v5 play.

Bruins just need to take Bell centre out quick with a big hit or goal.

"Don't rush into Cinco...start with Dos!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Therrien is tweaking the lines and plans to mix them up in game 2 then he is concerned about the 5v5 play.

Bruins just need to take Bell centre out quick with a big hit or goal.

[/QUOTE]

I hope the B's get the 1st goal and the quicker the better,for sure the crowd will quiet right down and if the B's add a 2nd goal,the crowd will start to get restless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Chris Rooney AND Tim Peel are reffing tonight.

Bruins penalties - 10 Canadien penalties - 3

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Me thinks you are being generous....I don't see the Habs taking a penalty tonight, unless they are matching minors to take away a probable B's PP  :)

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Me thinks you are being generous....I don't see the Habs taking a penalty tonight, unless they are matching minors to take away a probable B's PP  :)

lol .. JW, i agree if the habs are up 3 goals look for the bruins to get the next two PP.. I would say with just about three minutes left in the game. Expect to be in the box all night. You people know more about these refs then i do.

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebz. Show deebz's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think this might be the pivotal game . The one who wins tonight I think will take series.    Real hard know whst to expect.  The refs did in my opinio have some bad crucial calls vs Tb@ bell centre hoping this doesn't continue. 

[/QUOTE]

The Bruins need to play within their system and NOT make stupid penalties. Part of killing the penalty is not being short handed. Penalties are inevitable..but play smart please..the Canadiens cannot beat us 5 on 5. The Bruins need to get out to an early lead in this game! Go Bruins!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to deebz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Bruins need to play within their system and NOT make stupid penalties. Part of killing the penalty is not being short handed. Penalties are inevitable..but play smart please..the Canadiens cannot beat us 5 on 5. The Bruins need to get out to an early lead in this game! Go Bruins!!

[/QUOTE]

No offense deeb, but I'm getting a little tired of seeing the overstated concept that the B's "need to play their system" but "not take penalties".  That may be a contradiction of some sort.

The first part is more important.  The Bruins need to play their game/system.  Their system however, does involve playing very physical and wearing the other team down.  That leads to some penalties.  Trying to avoid penalties at all costs is not playing the Bruin system, and a non-checking finesse game isn't much better for the B's than killing penalties.

If Miller, Boychuk, Chara are going to get a few penalties for finishing big checks in the corners, I'm okay with it.  If Lucic gets a call for driving to the net hard and throwing Gorges through Carey Price, I'm okay with it.

I know the Hab powerplay looks good, and the PK hasn't been very effective, but I don't want the B's running around trying to avoid penalties all night as a consequence.  Play Bruins hockey, even if it costs some penalties.  Obviously avoid the dumb penalties.  

If they finish their chances a little better and kill penalties a little better, we can worry a lot less about taking a few more penalties than the Habs.  That's part of wearing them down in a long series.  Stick to the game plan. Play Bruins hockey.  Having to kill some penalties is part of that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

"Play. Your. Game." That's all we need... can't play to avoid "taking dumb penalties" because you can't control the dumb refs or the dumb/diving Habs. Sometimes you take a penalty because it's your only option.

If the B's play "their" game the rest will fall into place. This is not the time to back off because you're afraid of the whistles, that's just what the Habs are hoping for.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope the B's get the 1st goal and the quicker the better,for sure the crowd will quiet right down and if the B's add a 2nd goal,the crowd will start to get restless.

[/QUOTE]

I hope the B's get the first 8 goals, for sure the crowd will commit suicide.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

No lineup changes for the Habs in their morning skate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No lineup changes for the Habs in their morning skate.

[/QUOTE]

So no Douglas Murray? Damn.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:[QUOTE]

No lineup changes for the Habs in their morning skate.  [/QUOTE]

The only lineup announcement so far was Bourque will play in game 3. Nothing on Murray yet as of this morning.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Same lineup for the Canadiens is great.  The Bruins have dominated at least six out of seven periods in this series. The Bruins just need to keep doing what they've been doing.  Some of those shots are going to start going post and in instead of post and out.  Montreal's PP was 19th in the league this season.  Their PP will come back down to Earth and I expect zero PP goals from them tonight.  My "Official Stanley Prediction (tm)"  is 4-1 Bruins.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Projected lineups as per NHL.com:

BRUINS

Milan Lucic – David Krejci – Jarome Iginla

Brad Marchand – Patrice Bergeron – Reilly Smith

Daniel Paille – Carl Soderberg – Loui Eriksson

Shawn Thornton – Gregory Campbell – Jordan Caron

Zdeno Chara – Dougie Hamilton

Johnny Boychuk – Andrej Meszaros

Torey Krug – Kevan Miller

Tuukka Rask

Chad Johnson

Scratched: Justin Florek, Matt Bartkowski

Injured: Chris Kelly (back), Adam McQuaid (quad), Dennis Seidenberg (ACL/MCL), Corey Potter (upper body)

CANADIENS

Max Pacioretty – David Desharnais – Thomas Vanek

Michael Bournival – Tomas Plekanec – Brendan Gallagher

Rene Bourque – Lars Eller – Brian Gionta

Travis Moen – Daniel Briere – Dale Weise

Josh Gorges – P.K. Subban

Andrei Markov – Alexei Emelin

Douglas Murray – Mike Weaver

Carey Price

Peter Budaj

Scratched: Brandon Prust, George Parros, Ryan White, Francis Bouillon, Jarred Tinordi

Injured: Alex Galchenyuk (lower body)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Caron in. Interesting. He hasn't been terrible but boy would Kelly be welcomed back.

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

So it is "Quicksand" Murray in for Frankie "The Broth" Bouillon ?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Caron in. Interesting. He hasn't been terrible but boy would Kelly be welcomed back.

[/QUOTE]

He has simply been more useful up front then Florek in my opinion. I don't see Kelly back for a while...he hasn't even practiced yet...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

lol .. JW, i agree if the habs are up 3 goals look for the bruins to get the next two PP.. I would say with just about three minutes left in the game. Expect to be in the box all night. You people know more about these refs then i do.

[/QUOTE]

Ha! It's a time honored tradition going back generations for the B's to double up on the Habs with regard to penalties in MTL. Goes back as far as I can remember  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And tsn 690 still says no lineup changes, maybe they know murray is in, but don't want to dishearten the masses?

Disregard - I thought someone said Murray was in, my mistake.