Game 31: Flames v. Bruins (12/10/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 31: Flames v. Bruins (12/10/13)

BRUINS (20-8-2) at FLAMES (11-14-4)

TV: TSN, NESN

Last 10: Boston 7-2-1; Calgary 5-4-1

Season series: This is first of two games this season between the Boston Bruins and Calgary Flames. The Bruins defeated the Flames 9-0 in their most recent game Jan. 5, 2012.

Big story: Jarome Iginla will return to Scotiabank Saddledome for the first time since he was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins on March 27. Iginla spent 16 seasons in Calgary, where he remains the all-time franchise leader in games played (1,219), points (1,095) and goals (525).

Iginla, 36, is still earning his ironman reputation. As the Bruins adjust to a young roster decimated by injuries, Iginla is one of just six players on the team to have played all 30 games. There is little doubt that his veteran leadership has helped Boston thrive, winning six of its past eight despite an often makeshift lineup.

"For me, it feels like coming home," Iginla said Monday. "To see family, friends, familiar faces honestly it's just trying to enjoy it. I want to play, want to play well and win."

"It's great to be back, it felt good, right from coming in. You know, landing, to getting on the ice, it's only been a few hours, but it's been fun."

Calgary is also playing solid hockey of late, with wins in three of four, including an overtime victory Saturday against the Edmonton Oilers. However, the Flames will need more points to gain traction in the crowded Pacific Division.

Team scope:

Bruins: Boston barely skipped a beat Sunday against the Toronto Maple Leafs. In their first trip to Air Canada Centre since the 2013 postseason, Carl Soderberg and Torey Krug each had power-play goals, and defenseman Kevan Miller's first career goal proved to be the game-winner in the Bruins' 5-2 victory.

“Those are big shoes to fill in Thorty [Shawn Thornton] and Loui [Loui Eriksson] and Kells [Chris Kelly],” Matt Fraser told the Bruins website. “And our job is to step in and do what we can and kind of push ourselves. I think the biggest thing about having young guys in the lineup is we bring energy and we can definitely do that."

Miller, who received his call-up after injuries to starting defensemen Adam McQuaid and Johnny Boychuk, may take on an even bigger role after Dougie Hamilton left the game Sunday in the first period with a lower-body injury.

Flames: Against Edmonton on Saturday, Lee Stempniak gave Calgary an early lead that stood until Taylor Hall evened it with 11 seconds left in regulation. The Flames rebounded in overtime when an under-the-weather Jiri Hudler netted the game-winner.

"I was very, very impressed with our team," coach Bob Hartley said. "We battled for 60-plus minutes. Even when they got the tying goal, I could feel the disappointment on the bench, but I told them, 'We played so good, just keep going.'”

Reto Berra, who made 30 saves and came close to his first NHL shutout, will start Tuesday against Boston.

Who’s hot: Bruins backup goaltender Chad Johnson won his fourth straight start Sunday in Toronto. … Hudler has a goal and three assists in a three-game point streak.

Injury report: Hamilton (lower body), Eriksson (concussion) and Johnny Boychuk (sprained back) are out indefinitely. Kelly (fractured right fibula) and McQuaid (lower body) are on injured reserve. … Curtis Glencross (sprained MCL), Sean Monahan (fractured foot), Dennis Wideman (broken hand) and T.J. Galiardi (back spasms) are on injured reserve. Galiardi skated with the Flames Monday for the first time since his injury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Game 31: Flames v. Bruins (12/10/13)

Chara, Miller, Johnson, and Campbell with the flu - which probably means more to follow.  Boychuk sounds like he's still a question mark, yet no D have been called up.  This could be a weird game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=23719

No Carryover for Miller

Miller's absence from practice was due to the flu, not any carryover from the hit from behind by Dion Phaneuf that sent him into the boards late in the third period on Sunday night.

"He’s good," said Julien. "He should be playing tomorrow. He’s fine in regards to that. It was a good hit, I think he had a stiff neck, but symptoms that would cause concerns to us weren’t there."

Bruins Battling the Flu

When the Bruins practiced in Calgary, Zdeno Chara, Gregory Campbell, Chad Johnson and Kevan Miller all were not on the ice, as they are all battling the flu. Instead, they went back to the hotel to rest.

"We’ve been hit with the bit of a flu bug here," said Julien. "Soupy played with it yesterday. One of those 48-hour flu bug things so it’s going around our team as well."

"So we’ve had a lot of challenges this road trip."

"Those are the four guys and, who knows, it started there, it could be more tomorrow. We can’t do anything but try and keep our fingers crossed and hope we’ve got a full lineup tomorrow."

Depth Coming Through

Boychuk has been impressed (but not surprised), as has everyone else, with the less experienced D like Kevan Miller, Matt Bartkowski and Torey Krug stepping up, especially now that they're taking another hit with Hamilton injured.

"The other guys have been stepping in and doing a great job. I've been watching them," said the blueliner. "And after the game, I'll go tell them what I see and just let them know - I mean, there wasn't too much because they've been playing really well."

"It's good to see you have guys you can call upon when it comes to the job, that they step up and play extremely well."

Boychuk Feels He Dodged a Bullet

After Boychuk skated with the team for their half hour practice at the Scotiabank Saddledome on Monday, he said he still felt "pretty stiff," but he didn't seem to face any major issues during the skate. "I didn't feel awesome. I haven't skated in what, five days? But at least I got out there and moved around, and got back on the ice," he said.

Boychuk hasn't experienced an issue of this magnitude before with his back. For him right now, it's more about keeping his back from stiffening up than anything else.

"It's been loosening up every day with the treatments and stuff like that, and hopefully, we'll see how it feels [Tuesday]," he said. "I'm not moving mountains, but I mean, it's getting better every day and that's all I could ask for."

For the past two days, Julien has sounded optimistic about Boychuk being available for Tuesday night's game in Calgary against the Flames. He would be the sixth defensemen for the Bruins, who have not yet called anyone up from Providence to fill in on the blueline, with Dougie Hamilton now sidelined by a lower-body injury suffered Sunday night against Toronto.

Hamilton flew back to Boston Monday to be evaluated by team doctors and is estimated to be out for a week. The Bruins also do not have Adam McQuaid available for game action, after he was placed on injured reserve Sunday (lower body injury).

"Yeah, these right D have been a little cursed," Boychuk acknowledged."[Johnny] felt really good the other day; he was ready to go at it," said Julien. "The reason we haven't called a defenseman up is because there’s a real strong anticipation that he’ll be ready to go tomorrow [Tuesday]."

Once any back spasms go away, "he's ready to go," said Julien. "You want to go out there, of course," said Boychuk. "But you also don't want to go out there and get hurt and hurt the team at the same time."

Thought I'd pitch in. No call up yet, Fluto doesn't think there will be one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Interested to see the reaction to Iginla - will it be a reception like Selanne got in the Peg, or like the one Heatley got in Ottawa?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Interested to see the reaction to Iginla - will it be a reception like Selanne got in the Peg, or like the one Heatley got in Ottawa?

Glad to see you back red....I was worried we havent seen any post from you for the last few days.....

prediction for the game BRUINS 3.  Flames 0 ....and guess who will score ...Iginla , Fraser and Fat

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Standing ovation for Iginla in Calgary ....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

@MarkDivver

"Boston has recalled winger Nick Johnson from @AHLBruins ."

Sweet Hands!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Looks like it will be the Prov Bruins playing Calgary tonight.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

Will Sweet Hands play tonight or will he be there as an emergency 13th forward for the western roadtrip? Campbell played with the flu on Sunday, so I'm assuming he's a go tonight.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Dave24's comment:

Will Sweet Hands play tonight or will he be there as an emergency 13th forward for the western roadtrip? Campbell played with the flu on Sunday, so I'm assuming he's a go tonight.

@NHLBruins 

"Campbell, Miller, Chara, Johnson not on the ice for practice ^CS"

Think your right playing it safe with Campbell being sick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

For Fraser to score he'll have to touch the puck, unlike the last game. But i suppose you'll counter that with ~ he'll have to play more than 8 minutes.

agree that Iggy will score

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Holy Schnikies!People talking actual hockey! Nice to see a thread not rooted in the drama or people arguing with each other over said drama. Not that I ever do such things ;)

I think Iginla gets a good reception. Unless Calgary fans are a pack of meatheads which I don't think they are. Iginla will respond with the usual appropriate amount of class.

The Flames seem to have their share of injuries too. Not quite as bad as the B's at the moment, especially when you throw in the group of players who can't keep their lunch down right now.

I always enjoy seeing the west coast teams. A bit different style of play and we don;t play them often so it's a nice to see some players we don't see all too often. Personally I haven't been able to watch too many out of market games this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

@MarkDivver

Sweet Hands!

About f**king time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

Standing ovation for Iginla in Calgary ....

Agreed he is still loved in Cowtown.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

Paille is the forward who will miss tonight (at least)

Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins 12m

Daniel Paille has an upper-body injury (undisclosed) and won't be available for tonight's game. No timetable yet ^CS

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

@MarkDivver

Sweet Hands!

About f**king time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    lol

YEAH! I hope he scores a couple...this board will be unbearable tomorrow. lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

The injury/illness list for Boston is almost comical... such bad luck all at once (I hope this means they will be healthy at the end when it matters!)

Looking forward to seeing "sweet hands" in action and hoping Spooner and Fraser can do a little more tonight.

GO BRUINS!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

I'm not sure what to expect tonight, but I sure am excited for the game! Sweet Hands, Spooner, Fraser, Smith, Soderberg, Bartkowski and Krug...whoda thunk it! Man, almost forgot...Caron.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Providence vs. Calgary

Should be a close one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

Listen Jordan, you're taking Thorty's place so we're gonna need you to go out there and square off with McGrattan right off the face off. You know...set the tone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

OUT : Thornton, Paille, Kelly, McQuaid, Hamilton, Miller, Erickson, ..hope we dont get any more injuries tonight....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

BRUINS should recall Ray Bourque and Bobby Orr

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Paille, Kelly , Hamilton and McQuaid will be missed....Thornton Erickson. Replaced by Spooner and Frasermakes our team stronger ....but on the PK and D we will have problems .....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

But my prediction still holds 3-0 .....Iginla, Fraser and sweet hands will score 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Providence vs. Calgary

Should be a close one.

Heh

Sections
Shortcuts