Game 33: Van v. Bruins (12/14/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Game 33: Van v. Bruins (12/14/13)

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

Yah those call-ups really stunk during the 4 game win streak!

:facepalm

Which one stood out and how?

I don't what your expectations are of a 2nd round picked player and undrafted free agent. Julien is looking at their defensive positioning, one on one battles and turnovers. To look at Spooner and Fraser's offensive stats n think that is what should be looked at - I disagree.

Spooner to me has done nothing wrong defensively to lead me that to think the Bruins need to keep Kelly after the draft this summer or really past the trade deadline this season. Offensively both Spooner and Fraser have work to do in the neutral zone and in the corners a  bit. That doesn't lead me to believe that they failed in any way whatsoever.

Krejci, Lucic and Marchand all went through getting accustomed to the difference in speed between the AHL and NHL. Throw in that Soderberg, as a linemate, is still getting to know the NA game and now he has two new linemates.

Spooner, even at this date, does circles around Kelly offensively. I saw no reason to bench Spooner for any defensive lapses neither did Julien - 16:53 Mins TOI last night.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:

Pretty hard to win a game when only 2 of the 4 lines are doing anything. With the exception of Kevan Miller (who's game i love) ~ the AHL call ups have been a huge disappointment so far.

Yeah definetly not as good as Stanley has been telling us.Lol

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

Brad Marchand needs new skates, he cant turn without falling, and his showing off 0f the finger once was ok but classless to do it again, hes writing his own ticket out of town soon imo.

Great work with Miller on the D and smith really is the the peice of the seguin deal that will shine. 

Wally, I don't care about Marchand giving it to the crowd.  What I liked about it most was that it's the perfect reminder to that franchise - they love winning meaningless interconference games the middle of December and treat it like it's "revenge" for getting beaten in their own building in game 7 of the Finals.  Hoist that Cup, Brad.

As much as I agree that Smith has been the best player the Bruins received in the Seguin deal, I still think Eriksson's game is going to improve over the year.  It may be that this deal is a bit like the Bourque deal for Colorado.  Ray wasn't Ray when he first arrived in Denver, but that second year, he was rock.  Loui hasn't been playing like the player I remember seeing in Dallas, but I fully expect him to be better.  There's no reason the Bruins can't get two 55-65 point wings out of this deal, right?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

As much as I agree that Smith has been the best player the Bruins received in the Seguin deal, I still think Eriksson's game is going to improve over the year.  It may be that this deal is a bit like the Bourque deal for Colorado.  Ray wasn't Ray when he first arrived in Denver, but that second year, he was rock.  Loui hasn't been playing like the player I remember seeing in Dallas, but I fully expect him to be better.  There's no reason the Bruins can't get two 55-65 point wings out of this deal, right?

All due respect Book, concussions aside, Eriksson is playing like the 2012-13 Eriksson. Reminder too that his NTC kicked in this season as well. Perhaps Nill knew something we didn't? Not saying that this trade is a bust or PC got fleeced (this argument has been done to death anyway) but let's not keep pretending that somehow Eriksson just needs to "figure out the new system" or "get acquainted with new line mates" before he finds himself again. He has been lost for some time, even before coming to Boston.

As for the game, are any of us really surprised that he B's lost? Beating CGY and EDM (barely on each occasion one might add) is one thing but VAN is really rolling along. Just look at the B's roster from last night. That is as much a bandaid group as I have seen from this team in a few years. I'm just expecting Chistov and Satan to be added for next game....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

All due respect Book, concussions aside, Eriksson is playing like the 2012-13 Eriksson. Reminder too that his NTC kicked in this season as well. Perhaps Nill knew something we didn't? Not saying that this trade is a bust or PC got fleeced (this argument has been done to death anyway) but let's not keep pretending that somehow Eriksson just needs to "figure out the new system" or "get acquainted with new line mates" before he finds himself again. He has been lost for some time, even before coming to Boston.

As for the game, are any of us really surprised that he B's lost? Beating CGY and EDM (barely on each occasion one might add) is one thing but VAN is really rolling along. Just look at the B's roster from last night. That is as much a bandaid group as I have seen from this team in a few years. I'm just expecting Chistov and Satan to be added for next game....

Gotta agree with you just hope the Bruins can be healthy come playoff time because this isn't a team that I think can go to far the way it is.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wow agreeing with Null. I guess there are some new refreshing posts that can be seen on BDC. Another knee jerk reaction to the Bruins losing a regular season game and Saint Tyler having a big game against Winnipeg, yes the mighty Jets. 

Eriksson was a PPG player in the Swiss league, the 2013 Mens World Championships and was on his way to staying on course for his usual offensive output based on a 48 game schedule but I'm supposed to believe LouI is in decline. 

Ok

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Wow agreeing with Null. I guess there are some new refreshing posts that can be seen on BDC. Another knee jerk reaction to the Bruins losing a regular season game and Saint Tyler having a big game against Winnipeg, yes the mighty Jets. 

Eriksson was a PPG player in the Swiss league, the 2013 Mens World Championships and was on his way to staying on course for his usual offensive output based on a 48 game schedule but I'm supposed to believe LouI is in decline. 

Ok

Yes, Eriksson was so awesome sauce and critical to the Stars upcoming success that they dumped him and a gaggle of young up and comers for a pricier option with a possible attitude problem and an aging overpriced vet.

Again, Nill is no idiot.

• This post has been removed.

The Stars success LoL

$4.5M for a player who averages 25 goals a year is too much. Yah I'd dump that said player as well heh

Man I really miss that stellar play of Seguin during the playoffs last season. Awesome!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Did Marchand just lift an imaginary Cup as he skated to the bench?

Yes he did.

That's gonna add to his popularity there.

Classless moves.

I actually thought that and the ring kissing move was funny. Guys like Kesler were talking so Marchand reminded him who has a ring. That's the Marchand I love.

Mr. Potato Head didn't seem similarly impressed.

“I heard,” Julien said. “I did hear, and obviously I don’t watch the game; I coach the game, but I heard. He’s a good player, and he’s an agitator, and there’s some good things to that part of his game, but there’s certain areas where — again, I’ve said it before — you can’t cross the line. Sometimes his emotions get the better of him.

“We’ve worked with him and we’re going to continue to work with him. The perception it gives our organization is not what you want to see with those kind of things. Again, I don’t know what he said to you guys, but it’s certainly something we’re going to deal with.

“He’s too good of a player and we don’t want him to be a different player, but there’s certain things we want him to be different at. From what I hear, what happened, that’s definitely not something we will accept in our organization.”

The Stars success LoL

$4.5M for a player who averages 25 goals a year is too much. Yah I'd dump that said player as well heh

Man I really miss that stellar play of Seguin during the playoffs last season. Awesome!

I think you kind of made my point for me. If Eriksson is such a valuable commodity and at such a bargain basement price, and Seguin is so much less, why on earth would Nill make the trade....and give up a pile of decent prospects to boot? Did PC pull the old Jedi mind trick on him or the Spockian mind meld?  Obviously there were more things going on than we know.

Also, there is no one, and I mean no one, who watched Eriksson last season and did not wonder what was up. Most chalked it up to a bad team and it being just one of those seasons....then he continued on to this season in much the same way. Now, we are making excuses for him even though this really is just a continuation of his underwhelming play from last year.

Look, we all know Seguin was going to put up the points sooner or later and that he is defensively responsible thanks to being groomed in the B's system. So lets not pretend that somehow Eriksson was sacrificing his offense to fit in with the new team and that Seguin is now just a Kessel type player. Both are patently false and we know it. Let's all face facts, both teams got what they wanted and, as of now, Seguin is obviously having the best season (in terms of production) of all the pieces. And, let's also admit to ourselves that Eriksson has been the most disappointing (of course the concussions did not help).

(and the Star's "future success" thing was meant to be sarcastic).

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

Yes he did.

Classless moves.

I actually thought that and the ring kissing move was funny. Guys like Kesler were talking so Marchand reminded him who has a ring. That's the Marchand I love.

“I heard,” Julien said. “I did hear, and obviously I don’t watch the game; I coach the game, but I heard. He’s a good player, and he’s an agitator, and there’s some good things to that part of his game, but there’s certain areas where — again, I’ve said it before — you can’t cross the line. Sometimes his emotions get the better of him.

“We’ve worked with him and we’re going to continue to work with him. The perception it gives our organization is not what you want to see with those kind of things. Again, I don’t know what he said to you guys, but it’s certainly something we’re going to deal with.

“He’s too good of a player and we don’t want him to be a different player, but there’s certain things we want him to be different at. From what I hear, what happened, that’s definitely not something we will accept in our organization.”

Didn't hear much from "Tomato Face" Gillis but then when your team is the favorite in the Cup final and loses there isn't much you can say, is there?

Classy move by Kesler to gouge Marchy's eyes, but then Nuck fans have always thought their team could do no wrong.

Show me examples from the hockey media, comments from fans or video to back up your claims on Eriksson's demise. Why did Sweden pick LouI to represent them in the World Championships ? (Gold Medal team)

You always avoid Seguins numbers in playoffs last season. Yep he was a superstar! Money player. What happened ?

Another point you always ignore is Seguin is getting #1 Center minutes now. Ericksson plays the wing, off wing in Boston. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Yes he did.

Classless moves.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Yes he did.

Classless moves.

The Marchand I love is the one that keeps his focus on the game and not finding ways to act like a tool. How about focusing on not passing to the other team, shooting on goal and backchecking?

Show me examples from the hockey media, comments from fans or video to back up your claims on Eriksson's demise. Why did Sweden pick LouI to represent them in the World Championships ? (Gold Medal team)

You always avoid Seguins numbers in playoffs last season. Yep he was a superstar! Money player. What happened ?

Another point you always ignore is Seguin is getting #1 Center minutes now. Ericksson plays the wing, off wing in Boston. 

Who said anything about demise? His goal scoring production has declined every years since 2008, including a dramatic decrease last season which has carried over to the Bruins. Stats can be a pain sometimes I know:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470626

By the way, his playoff stats aren't that much better than Seguin's despite getting premier icetime....go figure.

The point is Erksson's stock is going down and Seguin's is rising. This is not rocket science and I am not sure what you are arguing about.

You honestly expect me to wade through 100's of pages in a google search just to "prove to you" what everyone who has been paying attention remembers? That Eriksson had a shi**y year last year? Perhaps we can just look for ourselves at the statsheet and come to the same conclusion?

Here's a quote from Pez at the beginning of the year that is proving to be quite accurate:

2. Loui Eriksson Does Not Score 25+ Goals This Season

I know this is going to be the prediction where a lot of people tell me how "f**king stupid I am" or how "I'm such a pessimist" but hear me out. I'm not saying that Loui Eriksson is a bad hockey player, I'm saying he won't score 25+ goals this season. I guess if we're going to get our balls dirty, let's get our balls dirty. Last season, Eriksson had 12 goals in 48 games - that's .25 goals per game. If we multiply 82 (a full season) by .25, we can average Eriksson to score 20.5 (so let's round up to 21) goals last season. That would give Eriksson his lowest career goal total. In fact, his goal totals have declined every year since 2008

So every year Eriksson has scored less goals than his previous. 

Am I to believe that with a better center and a better left winger on a better team that he's going to score less than 12 goals? F**k no. Hell, I don't even think he scores less than 20, but you have to remember that Eriksson was also one of the few goal scorers that Dallas actually had. Think of it as the Nathan Horton Syndrome in Florida - a good player will usually have inflated numbers with a shi**ier team.

At any rate, back to the original point: no Eriksson is not a bad player and yes he is a different position than Seguin but it is hard to argue that the one piece of that trade that is thriving the most is Seguin. Close second is Smith. Am I happy with the trade though? Yes because it probably needed to be done and the assets that came back are good enough.

p.s. yes I am aware that Pez's quip about good players having inflated numbers with shi**ier teams can also apply to Seguin....lol.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I've gone through all the reasons I think Eriksson will eventually pick up his pace before - not just a hail mary "the system".  He's a good player, a smart player, who goes to the front of the net and has good, quick hands.  When he gets on a roll, it's entirely possible that the Bruins have two very good assets with Eriksson that "solid vet" and Smith proving the first of the prospects to pay dividends.

Smith proving the first of the prospects to pay dividends.

Yeah, I was kind of expecting (hoping?) that Fraser would actually make a good account of himself with this callup. Unfortunately this has not really been the case. Too soon probably. He and "sweethands" need to be sent back down pronto.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

Pretty hard to win a game when only 2 of the 4 lines are doing anything. With the exception of Kevan Miller (who's game i love) ~ the AHL call ups have been a huge disappointment so far.

Yeah definetly not as good as Stanley has been telling us.Lol

Will u relax ...give them 5 games to adapt, to adjust and you will see some results

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

"Will u relax ...give them 5 games to adapt, to adjust and you will see some results"

Johnson = 3 games /  ZERO,  Fraser = 4 games / ZERO,  Spooner = 6 games THREE PTS.,

SOOOOOOOOOOOO besides Spooner, Johnson/Fraser have almost played 5 games, or are you saying we have to wait a further 5 more additional games for the fireworks to begin. ???

Add in Caron = 15 games ONE PT. AND YOU'VE GOT A GRAND TOTAL OF 28 GAMES PLAYED AND FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF 4 PTS !!!

check mate

Sergi

"Will u relax ...give them 5 games to adapt, to adjust and you will see some results"

Johnson = 3 games /  ZERO,  Fraser = 4 games / ZERO,  Spooner = 6 games THREE PTS.,

SOOOOOOOOOOOO besides Spooner, Johnson/Fraser have almost played 5 games, or are you saying we have to wait a further 5 more additional games for the fireworks to begin. ???

Add in Caron = 15 games ONE PT. AND YOU'VE GOT A GRAND TOTAL OF 28 GAMES PLAYED AND FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF 4 PTS !!!

check mate

Sergi

Man, Thornton looks like Gretzky compared to Jordy.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

"Man, Thornton looks like Gretzky compared to Jordy."

YUP .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yumFPGAEB3w

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey 49 North- welcome back. I personally have truly missed you and your self-righteous drivel.

Yah if i'm looking at 9 minutes average TOI per night for an AHL prospect, I would go straight to just the stats sheet as well. Forget about actually watching what the player does with those massive amounts of TOI. Probably what scouts do too.

• Sections
    Shortcuts