Game 33: Van v. Bruins (12/14/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Game 33: Van v. Bruins (12/14/13)

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

Yah those call-ups really stunk during the 4 game win streak!

:facepalm

Which one stood out and how?

I don't what your expectations are of a 2nd round picked player and undrafted free agent. Julien is looking at their defensive positioning, one on one battles and turnovers. To look at Spooner and Fraser's offensive stats n think that is what should be looked at - I disagree.

Spooner to me has done nothing wrong defensively to lead me that to think the Bruins need to keep Kelly after the draft this summer or really past the trade deadline this season. Offensively both Spooner and Fraser have work to do in the neutral zone and in the corners a  bit. That doesn't lead me to believe that they failed in any way whatsoever.

Krejci, Lucic and Marchand all went through getting accustomed to the difference in speed between the AHL and NHL. Throw in that Soderberg, as a linemate, is still getting to know the NA game and now he has two new linemates.

Spooner, even at this date, does circles around Kelly offensively. I saw no reason to bench Spooner for any defensive lapses neither did Julien - 16:53 Mins TOI last night.

San, I'll be honest and say I wasn't impressed with Spooner in his first few games, regardless of what his numbers were. That said, I thought he played his best NHL game against Van. He's made me believe that he can be a very solid contributor in this league. His game sort of reminded me of Kadri.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

The Stars success LoL

$4.5M for a player who averages 25 goals a year is too much. Yah I'd dump that said player as well heh

Man I really miss that stellar play of Seguin during the playoffs last season. Awesome!

I think you kind of made my point for me. If Eriksson is such a valuable commodity and at such a bargain basement price, and Seguin is so much less, why on earth would Nill make the trade....and give up a pile of decent prospects to boot? Did PC pull the old Jedi mind trick on him or the Spockian mind meld?  Obviously there were more things going on than we know.

Also, there is no one, and I mean no one, who watched Eriksson last season and did not wonder what was up. Most chalked it up to a bad team and it being just one of those seasons....then he continued on to this season in much the same way. Now, we are making excuses for him even though this really is just a continuation of his underwhelming play from last year.

Look, we all know Seguin was going to put up the points sooner or later and that he is defensively responsible thanks to being groomed in the B's system. So lets not pretend that somehow Eriksson was sacrificing his offense to fit in with the new team and that Seguin is now just a Kessel type player. Both are patently false and we know it. Let's all face facts, both teams got what they wanted and, as of now, Seguin is obviously having the best season (in terms of production) of all the pieces. And, let's also admit to ourselves that Eriksson has been the most disappointing (of course the concussions did not help).

(and the Star's "future success" thing was meant to be sarcastic).

JM, the Stars needed centers and the Bruins needed wingers so it fit. I'm too lazy to go look up the trade day thread but I know I said that both teams were winners in the deal. You have to give up quality to get quality.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I don't what your expectations are of a 2nd round picked player and undrafted free agent. Julien is looking at their defensive positioning, one on one battles and turnovers. To look at Spooner and Fraser's offensive stats n think that is what should be looked at - I disagree.

Spooner to me has done nothing wrong defensively to lead me that to think the Bruins need to keep Kelly after the draft this summer or really past the trade deadline this season. Offensively both Spooner and Fraser have work to do in the neutral zone and in the corners a  bit. That doesn't lead me to believe that they failed in any way whatsoever.

Krejci, Lucic and Marchand all went through getting accustomed to the difference in speed between the AHL and NHL. Throw in that Soderberg, as a linemate, is still getting to know the NA game and now he has two new linemates.

Spooner, even at this date, does circles around Kelly offensively. I saw no reason to bench Spooner for any defensive lapses neither did Julien - 16:53 Mins TOI last night.

• San, I'll be honest and say I wasn't impressed with Spooner in his first few games, regardless of what his numbers were. That said, I thought he played his best NHL game against Van. He's made me believe that he can be a very solid contributor in this league. His game sort of reminded me of Kadri.

I think Spooner is starting to adjust to the speed more. I also think Caron has done much better in his role on the 4th line compared to what he did with his 3rd line minutes. He hasn't been as bad as other posters have remarked. A small market team just might pick Caeon up next year as a 4th liner.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

San, I'll be honest and say I wasn't impressed with Spooner in his first few games, regardless of what his numbers were. That said, I thought he played his best NHL game against Van. He's made me believe that he can be a very solid contributor in this league. His game sort of reminded me of Kadri.

• I think Spooner is starting to adjust to the speed more. I also think Caron has done much better in his role on the 4th line compared to what he did with his 3rd line minutes. He hasn't been as bad as other posters have remarked. A small market team just might pick Caeon up next year as a 4th liner.

I imagine Caron's probably getting dealt before the end of the season but it's hard to say with the way injuries have been piling up. He's been solid in the role he's been given and the PK hasn't missed a beat with him replacing Paille.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

JM, the Stars needed centers and the Bruins needed wingers so it fit. I'm too lazy to go look up the trade day thread but I know I said that both teams were winners in the deal. You have to give up quality to get quality.

I agree Dez. As I have said many, many times before I am fine with the trade. Both teams got what they wanted. No argument form me here.

• Sections
    Shortcuts