Game 36. Devils v. Bruins Game Thread (04/04/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 36. Devils v. Bruins Game Thread (04/04/13)

Kovalchuk not expected to play and, just as devastating (?), neither is Kostopoulos.

Devils fighting for a playoff spot and are tied in points with both NY teams.

Last 10: New Jersey 3-3-4; Boston 5-4-1

Season series: Second of three meetings. Brad Marchand scored in the sixth round of a shootout as Boston won 2-1 at TD Garden on Jan. 29. Nathan Horton's goal with 4:55 left in regulation drew the Bruins even after David Clarkson had connected on a second-period power-play goal for the Devils.

Big story: It's expected that Jaromir Jagr will make his Bruins debut after being acquired from the Stars on Tuesday for Lane MacDermid, Cody Payne and a second-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft. The 41-year-old Jagr is still performing at an elite level, recently recording his 1,000th career assist. He led Dallas with 14 goals and 26 points, and gives Boston another weapon up front after Jarome Iginla spurned them for Pittsburgh.

Team Scope:

Devils: Still without a win since Ilya Kovalchuk went out with a shoulder injury, New Jersey failed to pick up a point Monday against the Islanders following a road trip in which the Devils lost all three games post-regulation. The Devils spotted the Islanders a two-goal lead in the first 7:14 of the first period and spent the rest of the night trying to climb back in. Alexei Ponikarovsky scored midway through the second, but a power-play goal by John Tavares in the third doomed them to a 3-1 defeat.

"We've got to move forward," forward Patrik Elias told reporters on Tuesday. "We have tough games coming up, but they'll be fun to play in. We're going to play the Rangers a couple of times, the Flyers, Boston here twice, Toronto twice. So, it's not going to be easy, but they'll be fun games to play in and it's going to be a playoff mentality."

Bruins: Since a 2-4-1 stretch late in March temporarily derailed Boston's run at the Northeast Division crown, the Bruins have won two in a row. Jagr creates a buzz heading down the stretch, and his arrival could come at a particularly important time after Patrice Bergeron suffered a concussion in Tuesday's 3-2 win over the Senators. Bergeron's head made contact with Colin Greening's forearm or elbow while Greening was trying to shoot from the slot in the second period. The Bruins persevered, however, getting the winning goal from Horton with 9:39 left in the third.

"Obviously, going into the third he wasn’t in the lineup anymore," forward Tyler Seguin said of Bergeron. "I guess you could say we adjusted for that period. Obviously, we got a quick one. We found a way to win and that's what we wanted to do for him."

Who's hot: Horton has a goal in four consecutive games for the Bruins. David Krejci has back-to-back games with a goal and an assist. Anton Khudobin has started the past two games and given up just two goals on 73 shots.

Injury report: New Jersey coach Peter DeBoer said Tuesday that Kovalchuk wasn't close to returning, but is expected back before the regular season ends on April 27. Forward Tom Kostopoulos (head) left Monday's game after being knocked out in a fight with New York's Matt Martin and is day-to-day. … Bergeron is out indefinitely for Boston. Forward Chris Kelly (broken tibia) and defenseman Adam McQuaid (shoulder) are on injured reserve.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Game 36. Devils v. Bruins Game Thread (04/04/13)

GNB's take:

Good morning from TD Garden, where the Bruins will host the Devils tonight.

Patrice Bergeron (concussion) will not play. It is undetermined when Bergeron will be able to return to the lineup. Rich Peverley will most likely center Brad Marchand and Tyler Seguin. Peverley assumed most of Bergeron’s shifts after his departure on Tuesday against Ottawa.

Jaromir Jagr and Kaspars Daugavins are expected to make their Bruins debuts tonight. Wade Redden is scheduled to travel to Boston today. Redden is unlikely to play.

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley, Naoko Funayama),98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Devils 15-12-9, Bruins 23-8-4

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Brad Marchand-Rich Peverley-Tyler Seguin
    Jay Pandolfo-Kaspars Daugavins-Jaromir Jagr
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dougie Hamilton
    Matt Bartkowski-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Johnny Boychuk

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Aaron Johnson, Jordan Caron

Storylines: Adam McQuaid (shoulder) skated on his own this morning. McQuaid is aiming for a return before the end of the regular season… Daugavins should assume some of Bergeron’s penalty-killing shifts. Daugavins was a regular penalty killer in Ottawa… The Devils acquired Steve Sullivan from Phoenix yesterday. New Jersey sent a 2014 seventh-round pick to the Coyotes… Ilya Kovalchuk will not play tonight. Kovalchuk is on injured reserve with a shoulder injury… Kyle Rehman and Brad Watson will be the referees. Scott Driscoll and Brian Murphy will be the linesmen.

That projected third line is just killer....no really.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Kosto got knocked out by a punch vs the NYI. Looked brutal 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Kosto got knocked out by a punch vs the NYI. Looked brutal 

You knew it was going to happen eventually. The guy takes anyone on but has the pugilistic skills of a young Campbell. I feel bad for him as I am sure he is a good guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

When will the badluck stop ....Flying mosquito will replace Bergeron ...are we in trouble ???

Lets hope that Pandolfo sits ...

Its not going to be an easy one tonight ...

Oh well at least McQuaid and Kelly are recovering slowly ...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Thank goodness:

GlobeFluto Rushes so far: Lucic-Krejci-Horton, Marchand-Seguin-Jagr, Pandolfo-Peverley-Daugavins, Paille-Campbell-Thornton.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Thank goodness:

GlobeFluto Rushes so far: Lucic-Krejci-Horton, Marchand-Seguin-Jagr, Pandolfo-Peverley-Daugavins, Paille-Campbell-Thornton.

If Seguin and Jagr find chemistry watch out!!

Remember Yammy and Mario in the 90's together? Crazy skill.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Fluto also reporting Jagr on both power-play units.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

LOL Jagr on both PP units? That's just mean. Get McQuaid back and we've got a couple mullets running around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Everyone likes to blast fat for his lack of production, but David Clarkson started of strong as well but also struggled in March.

Clarkson had 2 goals 1 assist, 25 hits, -5 in 15 games in  March.

Fat had 1 goal 8 assists, 41 hits,  -2 in 17 games in March.

Is there a power forward that is having an above average year in this shortened season?  I can't thing of any, Clowe, Hartnell way down.  Or is the condensed schedule taking a toll on the bangers moreso than the skilled guys?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or is the condensed schedule taking a toll on the bangers moreso than the skilled guys?

If they were playing baseball, they'd be tired playing this schedule.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

Great posts guys, all I hope is a win and for Bergie to get well soon. Thank God PC got Jagr when he did. When all is healthy look out for these Bruins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Thank goodness:

GlobeFluto Rushes so far:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton,

Marchand-Seguin-Jagr,

Pandolfo Paille-Peverley-Daugavins,

Paille Caron-Campbell-Thornton.

Now that is better. Carry on soldiers

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Darn.  I'm out for the game tonight.  I'll be turning in here for the recap.

Don't none of the knuckleheads start fighting on here and plug up the pages and make me wade thru the gunk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from originalcallodthedom. Show originalcallodthedom's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Darn.  I'm out for the game tonight.  I'll be turning in here for the recap.

Don't none of the knuckleheads start fighting on here and plug up the pages and make me wade thru the gunk.

Challenge accepted

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Who let the Daug out ? Whoof Whoof!!!

Sorry.. my apologies.. couldn't help myself.. Hope it goes to a shoot out :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I wish I could watch the gm tonight and see how Jagr looks but my son has a H.S. baseball gm tonight so that's where I'll be. I'll be following the gm thread tonight looking for reaction as to how Jagr looks. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Bruins win 5-2.  lucic horton dk line has huge night.  ST snaps one home tonight as well.  Im in a good mood.   Lets play some hockey!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Thank goodness:

GlobeFluto Rushes so far:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton,

Marchand-Seguin-Jagr,

Pandolfo Paille-Peverley-Daugavins,

Paille Caron-Campbell-Thornton.

Now that is better. Carry on soldiers

I think you got it right here, but who am I to question... I like Seguin at center with Jagr since I was hearing they might move Pevs up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Tonight's lineup as per Fluto:

Based on pregame warmups:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Brad Marchand-Tyler Seguin-Jaromir Jagr
    Jay Pandolfo-Rich Peverley-Kaspars Daugavins
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dougie Hamilton
    Andrew Ference-Dennis Seidenberg
    Matt Bartkowski-Johnny Boychuk

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

* Martin Brodeur (10-3-6, 2.27 GAA, .905 save percentage) will start in goal for the Devils.

* David Krejci is serving as the second alternate captain, replacing Patrice Bergeron.

Even thinking about Pandolfo still on the 3rd line makes me throw up in my mouth a little..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I just wanted to say I'm gosh darned, excited about tonights game !

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Betcha you never thought you would say that about a Devils game did you?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Me to. Ready to roll.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

FEELIN' A WIN TONIGHT! GO BRUINS!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Betcha you never thought you would say that about a Devils game did you?

Didn't in the 90s or early 2000s that's for sure.

Sections
Shortcuts