Game 4: Bruins v. Leafs (08/05/13), 2-1 Bos. Series

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 4: Bruins v. Leafs (08/05/13), 2-1 Bos. Series

Big story: The Boston Bruins regained home ice advantage on Monday with a 5-2 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs at Air Canada Centre before 19,746 fans. Outside the arena, thousands more fans watched the first Stanley Cup Playoff game in Toronto since 2004 on a big screen in Maple Leaf Square.

The recipe for success for Boston was a relentless puck pursuit that forced 24 Toronto turnovers. Boston also outhit the Maple Leafs 51-48. Jaromir Jagr and Rich Peverley each notched their first points of the series -- Peverley's second-period goal was assisted by Jagr. Tuukka Rask made 45 saves, including 17 in the third period, and was named the game's first star. David Krejci, the second star, had a goal and two assists and finished with a plus-3 rating.

Team Scope:

Bruins: The line of Milan Lucic, Krejci and Nathan Horton combined for two goals and eight points in the Game 3 victory on Monday. The line has combined for five goals and 17 points in the series. Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference returned from his one-game suspension, and generated two shots, delivered three hits and blocked two shots in 22:07 of ice time.

"[Krejci] is a good player and maybe he does fly under the radar for a lot of people, but he certainly doesn’t fly under the radar for us," coach Claude Julien said. "He's very creative and, not only that, he doesn't get intimidated by physicality. He'll make plays and go into dirty areas and he's a playmaker. But he goes about his job quietly."

Maple Leafs: The Maple Leafs managed a season-high 47 shots, but only had two goals to show for it as Rask shut the door time and again. The last home playoff win for Toronto came April 30, 2004 -- a 3-1 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers. Defenseman Jake Gardiner scored his first career playoff goal and Phil Kessel scored his second goal of the series, but it wasn't enough.

"If we want to be blatantly honest, we made some mistakes that ended up in our net," coach Randy Carlyle said. "When you do that, usually you end up on the wrong side of the score. In the playoffs, you can't give the opposition (chances). I'm not taking it away from the Bruins, that they didn't earn it, but when you make mistakes with the puck that lead to Grade-A scoring chances and they score, those are tough ones for our group."

Who's hot:Krejci has two goals and seven points to lead all scorers in the postseason. Lucic has a five-game point-scoring streak and six assists in three playoff games. … Toronto's Kessel has scored twice in the past two games.

Injury report: Toronto defenseman Michael Kostka (broken finger) is out indefinitely

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Game 4: Bruins v. Leafs (08/05/13), 2-1 Bos. Series

Lack of quality depth on the Leafs back end is hurting them.

Krecji line has been for the most part up against Fraser-Franson, TO's third pairing in the regular season. No wonder they are putting up the points.

And O'Byrne is just horrible on the third pairing.

Gardiner has looked good and should get some special treatment tonight. B's have been giving him far too much room to skate so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

The Leafs have shown all their cards. If the Bruins want to play, the series will be over quickly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Krecji line has been for the most part up against Fraser-Franson, TO's third pairing in the regular season. No wonder they are putting up the points.

Gardiner has looked good and should get some special treatment tonight. B's have been giving him far too much room to skate so far.

I think the leafs def is pretty solid.   Most lack true mobility.  I find they are all very similar.  I think the leafs play much better tonight.  I still feel the Bruins will win the next two.  Reimer hasnt given them playoff style tending.  

Should be a great tilt.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Wasn't O'Bryne on the habs. I am trying to remember, but he was in on a really bad play. Yup, I checked on youtube and saw he scored on his own net. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afEB1mK_B6Q

What is it with Burkie signing old and or bad schabs? 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

How does clarke macarthur not draw in over anyone on that 4th line especially orr.  If fighting in a must win game is that important they are in trouble bc our clown hasnt figured out who he is.  

shocking.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

Wasn't O'Bryne on the habs. I am trying to remember, but he was in on a really bad play. Yup, I checked on youtube and saw he scored on his own net. 

Yep. His claim to fame was fighting Wheeler in Blake's ill-fated attempt to show some heart.

He is a big guy who is not particularily aggressive and with no offensive capabilities.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Shupe I expect TO will play an extremely physical game tonight.  That's all they have left.  They're just not as good as the B's.  Not to say they can't come back and win the series, they can.  But only if the B's become complacent and think they don't have to work for it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Anyone has seen Colborne played ??  I know he was in the lineup but never heard his name ...

Hope the BRUINS can come back home with a 3-1 lead that would be awesome ..some rest between the next round

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Tonights game will be the hardest to win. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I think the leafs def is pretty solid.   Most lack true mobility.  I find they are all very similar.  I think the leafs play much better tonight.  I still feel the Bruins will win the next two.  Reimer hasnt given them playoff style tending.  

Should be a great tilt.  

That may be true but the B's having two #1 lines is giving them fits. With Phaneuf and Gunnerson lined up against the Bergeron line for the most part, their bottom 4 simply can't handle the Krejci line and it is showing on the scoresheet. Now with the third line showing signs of waking up, the Leafs may be in some trouble.

Reimer, on the other hand, would make for an excellent backup with occasional spot-duty but he is simply not starter quality for the long haul. Reminds me of Garon, Leighton and other 1B options that can't carry a team over time.

Should be a good one tonight. I think the Leafs will not go quietly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Tonights game will be the hardest to win. 

Leafs will come out hard no doubt. However, if the B's score first it may take the wind out of their sails.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Fluto's take:

***spoiler alert: B's have better depth***

TORONTO – Good morning from the Air Canada Centre, where the Bruins will look to grab a 3-1 series lead tonight over the Maple Leafs. No lineup changes are expected for either team.

All eyes will be on linesmen Scott Cherrey and Brian Murphy. The Leafs weren’t happy about how the Bruins were cheating on the draw in Game 3. The Bruins won 60 percent of the faceoffs. Randy Carlyle didn’t think the Bruins were placing their sticks down first, as visitors must do.

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley, Naoko Funayama),98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Bruins 2-1, Leafs 1-2

Projected Leafs lineup:

Joffrey Lupul-Tyler Bozak-Phil Kessel
    James van Riemsdyk-Mikhail Grabovski-Nikolai Kulemin
    Ryan Hamilton-Nazem Kadri-Matt Frattin
    Leo Komarov-Jay McClement-Colton Orr

Carl Gunnarsson-Dion Phaneuf
    Mark Fraser-Cody Franson
    Jake Gardiner-Ryan O’Byrne

James Reimer
    Ben Scrivens

Healthy scratches: Clarke MacArthur, Joe Colborne, Frazer McLaren, John-Michael Liles

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Tyler Seguin
    Rich Peverley-Chris Kelly-Jaromir Jagr
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Johnny Boychuk
    Wade Redden-Adam McQuaid

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Dougie Hamilton, Aaron Johnson, Kaspars Daugavins, Carl Soderberg, Jay Pandolfo

Storylines: The Bruins’ depth showed in Game 3. The Bruins had offensive contributions from the third and fourth lines. Rich Peverley and Jaromir Jagr connected for the team’s second goal. Daniel Paille gave the Bruins a three-goal lead when he scored a shorthanded strike after picking Phil Kessel’s pocket. Six of Toronto’s seven goals have come off the sticks of Kessel, Joffrey Lupul, and James van Riemsdyk, who are all top-six forwards. None of the bottom-six Leafs has scored… Nathan Horton will look to extend his goal-scoring streak to four games. Horton, David Krejci, and Milan Lucic have been the Bruins’ best offensive forwards… Eric Furlatt and Francois St. Laurent will be the referees. Scott Cherrey and Brian Murphy will be the linesmen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

It'd be nice for the B' to get a few early ones to take the crowd out, and the 'will' out of the leafs. I really believe the B's are a much better team, but a hot goalie and some will to win goes a long way. 

The Bruins must treat this one as game 7. Win this and it is all but over. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

They picked O'byrne up at the deadline, so this is all on Nonis.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

I've got Purple seats for tonight. Debating whether to wear my B's jersey or hat or both to the game. As long as the B's score first tonight and quiet the crowd, they should be fine!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Go Bruins ... both Boston and Providence.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

I've got Purple seats for tonight. Debating whether to wear my B's jersey or hat or both to the game. As long as the B's score first tonight and quiet the crowd, they should be fine!

Good luck. Stay out of trouble...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

How does clarke macarthur not draw in over anyone on that 4th line especially orr.  If fighting in a must win game is that important they are in trouble bc our clown hasnt figured out who he is.  

shocking.  

Carlye and Julian must be related. Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Should be a great tilt.  

There's the biggest weakness IMO. You have to give your team some momentum with timely (BIG) saves....and limit those big fat juicy rebounds.

Rask has the confidence of his team, not sure Reimer does.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

One thing about the Leafs in this series that has impressed me is their offensive zone entry. They have some nice strategies there and they get in clean. also, they've done a real good job in front of Reimer so far, those rebounds are delicious and it hasnt cost him yet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

Don't tell him what to do!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Don't tell him what to do!

Sorry...that is the parent in me talking....:)

Sections
Shortcuts