Game 40: Bruins v. Isles (11/04/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 40: Bruins v. Isles (11/04/13)

ISLANDERS (20-16-4) at BRUINS (26-9-4)

TV: MSG PLUS, NESN+

Last 10: New York 7-2-1; Boston 6-3-1

Season Series: This is the third of three meetings. The Boston Bruins are 2-0-0 against the New York Islanders this season, outscoring them 8-3 along the way.

Big Story: The Isles enter Thursday’s action boasting a 7-1-1 record in their past nine games and could be on the verge of clinching an invitation to the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since the 2006-07 season. New York currently resides in seventh place in the Eastern Conference, but is tied with both the Ottawa Senators and New York Rangers at 44 points each.

Boston, meanwhile, is in a fierce battle with the Montreal Canadiens for the Northeast Division crown. The Bruins regained the division lead with Wednesday’s 5-4 victory against the New Jersey Devils, as they jumped one point ahead of the idle Habs.

Team Scope:

Islanders: After years of rebuilding, it appears general manager Garth Snow’s plan is beginning to come to fruition. After a disastrous start to the season on home ice, the Islanders have been much better of late at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, where they earned back-to-back victories against the Tampa Bay Lightning and Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday and Tuesday, respectively, inching a bit closer towards a playoff spot. New York has won four straight at home to improve to 9-11-2 at the Coliseum. The Islanders are 11-5-2 on the road and are four games over .500 overall for the first time since Feb. 28, 2008.

"I think we've built up a foundation here," defenseman Matt Carkner told Newsday. "You do the right things over and over, you're going to build confidence. Consistency was our biggest problem before, and now we have something to go back to when we're struggling, or when we need to keep a lead."

Bruins: They’re already missing Patrice Bergeron. Will Boston now have to move forward without the services of Brad Marchand, too?

Marchand was injured during Wednesday’s win at New Jersey, when he appeared to be on the receiving end of an elbow to the head from Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov during the second period. Bruins coach Claude Julien did not have an update on Marchand’s condition after the game, but it’s highly unlikely he’ll be in the lineup against the Islanders.

"After the second period, our trainer said he wasn't going to be back," Julien said of Marchand. "Whether that's being cautious or not, I don't know. I'll let our doctors give me the verdict before I say anything, but I haven't talked to anybody about him since the game finished."

Who's hot: Isles center John Tavares has three goals and three assists over the past five games, while winger Josh Bailey is 2-3-5 over the same span. Evgeni Nabokov has allowed two or fewer goals in five straight starts, lowering his goals-against average to 2.59. … Jaromir Jagr (four assists) and Rich Peverley (one goal, three assists) have each tallied four points over the past two contests.

Injury report: New York will be missing defenseman Brian Strait (ankle) and Joe Finley (undisclosed), who are both on injured reserve. … The Bruins are expected to be without Marchand, Bergeron (head), and defenseman Adam McQuaid (shoulder).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Game 40: Bruins v. Isles (11/04/13)

As per GNB:

Good morning from TD Garden, where the Bruins will look to hold on to first place in the Northeast Division tonight against the Islanders. The Bruins are now a point ahead of Montreal after their 5-4 win over New Jersey last night.

Brad Marchand may not be available tonight. Marchand exited in last night’s second period after taking an Anton Volchenkov elbow to the side of the head. According to TSN, Volchenkov will have a phone hearing with league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan today. The call indicates that Volchenkov is subject to possible supplemental discipline. Such punishment usually involves an injury on the other side.

If Marchand can’t play, Daniel Paille could move up to skate with Gregory Campbell and Jaromir Jagr. Jay Pandolfo, a healthy scratch in the last two games, could dress against his former club.

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley, Naoko Funayama),98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Bruins 26-9-4, Islanders 20-16-4

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Jaromir Jagr
    Jay Pandolfo-Chris Kelly-Tyler Seguin
    Jordan Caron-Rich Peverley-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dougie Hamilton
    Matt Bartkowski-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Johnny Boychuk

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Aaron Johnson, Kaspars Daugavins, Wade Redden

Storylines: Still no word on Carl Soderberg’s expected arrival date. The Bruins could use a left wing depending on Marchand’s status. Soderberg has agreed to a contract with the Bruins… The Bruins are 8-0-1 in their last nine home games… Tonight will mark the final two-games-in-two-nights set for the Bruins… The Islanders are coming off a pair of wins over Philadelphia and Tampa Bay. They have points in five straight games during their late push for the playoffs… Greg Kimmerly and Paul Devorski will be the referees. Greg Devorski and Tony Sericolo will be the linesmen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Paille-Campbell-Jagr

Those are some pretty big shoes to fill for Jagr.  I wonder if Thornton will share some of his knowledge on how to bounce on the bench and tap his stick on the ice before trying to hit someone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Islanders play hard.  Potential first round matchup.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

Paille-Campbell-Jagr

Those are some pretty big shoes to fill for Jagr.  I wonder if Thornton will share some of his knowledge on how to bounce on the bench and tap his stick on the ice before trying to hit someone.

Funny thing is just a little while ago that was two thirds of the teams 4rth line.....yikes!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Islanders play hard.  Potential first round matchup.  

Plus we get to see Pandolfo again....

BOOYEAH!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

McQuaid likely tonight, and Bergeron skating with team (though not practicing).  Some good news, at least.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

McQuaid likely tonight, and Bergeron skating with team (though not practicing).  Some good news, at least.

great news

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Again no Redden.

What was the point of picking him up?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Again no Redden.

Injury insurance?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I wanna see the new guy from the European farm, where is he ?  Doesn't take that long, even in a frickn boat

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

I wanna see the new guy from the European farm, where is he ?  Doesn't take that long, even in a frickn boat

Sweden still hasn't cleared him - he's not officially a Bruin yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Anyone wonder why Shupe hasn't been around on game thread during the games ?

https://twitter.com/RetroSpidey/status/322378583882465280/photo/1 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Wait a minute....isn't Shupe black spidey?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Projected Islanders lineup:

SLANDERS

Matt MoulsonJohn TavaresBrad Boyes

Frans NielsenJosh BaileyKyle Okposo

Michael GrabnerKeith AucoinColin McDonald

Matt MartinCasey CizikasJesse Joensuu

Andrew MacDonaldTravis Hamonic

Mark StreitMatt Carkner

Thomas HickeyLubomir Visnovsky

Evgeni Nabokov

Kevin Poulin

Injured: Joe Finley, Brian Strait

Scratched: Marty Reasoner, Radek Martinek, Anders Lee, Eric Boulton

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Wait a minute....isn't Shupe black spidey?

It's his retro look

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

It's his retro look

Before he turned into black spidey which was before he turned into regular spidey which was after the creation of Venom who was before Carnage......ugh, my head hurts....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

SLANDERS

I don't know why, but I find this hilarious.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

I don't know why, but I find this hilarious.

The enemy needs to be demeaned at all possible times....I believe that is in Sun Tzu somewhere...Undecided

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

It's his retro look

Before he turned into black spidey which was before he turned into regular spidey which was after the creation of Venom who was before Carnage......ugh, my head hurts....

goes something like that.  Shupe was much thinner then, hence his retro look.  Another reason he's become black spidy is because he looks thinner in black.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

goes something like that.  Shupe was much thinner then, hence his retro look.  Another reason he's become black spidy is because he looks thinner in black.

lol.....the dualin' gloves are off!

Can't wait till Shupe reads that....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

No mean to spoil the fun here guys but with Pandolfo in the line up our chances to win this game are less  than 10%

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Again no Redden.

Those are projected lineups based on morning line rushes. Julien can tap Redden on the shoulder before the game and say "your in" just like that.

Same with Pandawful.

Sections
Shortcuts