Game 41: Bruins v. Canes (13/04/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 41: Bruins v. Canes (13/04/13)

Last 10: Boston 6-3-1; Carolina 1-9-0

Season series: This is the third and final meeting of the regular season. The Boston Bruins took the previous two matchups, including a 6-2 thrashing at TD Garden on Monday. The Carolina Hurricanes have not beaten the Bruins at home since Jan. 24, 2010 and have lost 16 of 18 contests against Boston since the 2007-08 season.

Big story: Trying to earn favorable seeding in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and their third straight Northeast Division crown, Boston is looking to add to the Hurricanes' recent misery. Carolina has gone 0-7-0 and been outscored 32-11 in April.

Team Scope:

Bruins: After dominating the Hurricanes on Monday, the Bruins raced out to a 4-0 lead in New Jersey on Wednesday before hanging on to top the Devils 5-4. The win, coupled with the Montreal Canadiens' 3-2 loss to the Washington Capitals, gave Boston sole possession of first in the Northeast.

Against the New York Islanders on Thursday night, Boston was looking to add to that division lead against a team also fighting for playoff positioning. Despite outshooting the Islanders 16-9 in the opening period, the Bruins failed to beat Evgeni Nabokov and Josh Bailey opened the scoring with just 21 seconds remaining in the first.

Tyler Seguin tied the game early in the second while on the power play. With Brad Boyes off for delay of game, Seguin took a cross-ice pass from Gregory Campbell and roofed a perfect shot over Nabokov's right shoulder. But less than 10 minutes later, Bailey would earn his second of the night, beating Tuukka Rask from the left faceoff circle and giving the Islanders the lead back.

Nabokov finished with 35 saves as the Bruins fell 2-1 and dropped to second in the Northeast following Montreal's 5-1 win in Buffalo.

Hurricanes: On March 13, Carolina was sitting first in the Southeast Division after winning six of seven games. The Hurricanes have struggled since then, going 1-13-1 and dropping to 14th in the East, just two points ahead of the last-place Florida Panthers. A hard-fought 5-3 loss Tuesday against the Pittsburgh Penguins showed some positive signs.

As they did against Pittsburgh, Carolina got off to a strong start Thursday night in Washington, grabbing a first-period lead on Jeff Skinner's power-play marker. But with Jordan Staal off for slashing, Troy Brouwer took a pass in the slot from Mike Ribeiro before beating Justin Peters to tie the game. Just 2:38 later, Mike Green's perfect wrist shot from the right circle gave the Capitals a lead they wouldn't relinquish. Brouwer scored his second of the night into an empty net to seal a 3-1 Carolina loss in which they outshot the Capitals 44-31.

"We're in a process here with young guys and a nucleus that we want to get better, and I think we're in the right direction," coach Kirk Muller said. "We definitely deserve a different fate over the past 15 games. It's not there, but this is a learning thing for them and they just have to stay the course."

Who's hot: Seguin has scored in consecutive games for the Bruins while Gregory Campbell has five points over his current three-game point streak. Jaromir Jagr has six points in five games since being acquired from the Dallas Stars at the trade deadline. … Carolina's Jordan Staal has two points in his past three games while Eric Staal has three points in his last four games.

Injury report: Bruins forwards Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand are both out with concussions, although Bergeron has resumed skating with the team. … Forwards Patrick Dwyer and Tim Brent are both questionable for Carolina with lower-body injuries. Cam Ward (knee), Drayson Bowman (upper body) and Joni Pitkanen (foot) are out and not expected back this season.

Carolina has lost their last 7 and are 1-9 in their last 10. I wonder if Peters is going to get the nod in goal tonight?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Game 41: Bruins v. Canes (13/04/13)

Fluto's take:

RALEIGH – Good morning from PNC Arena, where the Bruins will play the Hurricanes for the second time this week. The Bruins claimed the first meeting on Monday at TD Garden, 6-2.

Patrice Bergeron (concussion) is with the team and is expected to participate in the morning skate. Bergeron will not play tonight.

The Bruins didn’t have a full practice Friday, so they did not reveal any lineup changes. For now, we’ll go with Thursday’s lineup against the Islanders and update after the skate.

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley, Naoko Funayama),98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Bruins 26-10-4, Hurricanes 16-22-2

Projected Bruins lineup:

Daniel Paille-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Milan Lucic-Gregory Campbell-Jaromir Jagr
    Jordan Caron-Chris Kelly-Tyler Seguin
    Kaspars Daugavins-Rich Peverley-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Johnny Boychuk
    Matt Bartkowski-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Adam McQuaid

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Dougie Hamilton, Aaron Johnson, Jay Pandolfo, Wade Redden

Storylines: Carl Soderberg remains in limbo. The Bruins have signed Soderberg to a three-year contract and bought out his deal with Linkoping, his Swedish club. But the Swedish federation vetoed Soderberg’s transfer earlier this week. It will be up to the NHL to determine whether to stamp Soderberg’s transfer card or comply with the Swedes’ wishes… The Bruins can clinch a playoff spot by recording one point… Carolina has lost its last seven games. It is the franchise’s longest losing streak since relocating from Hartford… Ian Walsh and Dan O’Halloran will be the referees. Jonny Murray and Andy McElman will be the linesmen.

I really hope scratching Doughie will not become a habit. He is one of the few on the back end with any offensive instincts. Also, Redden is going to have to play a game sooner or later unless he is doomed to be the next MacDermid (the eternal scratch).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

I'd like to see Jagr with Krecji and Hamilton & Redden in the lineup too

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Real tough one tonight. Even though their goaltending has been horrible I can see the Canes clamping down the Bruins offense.  Hopefully Bruisn capitolize on the opportunities.

Also Semin is playing this time around and like we've seen many times when the Bruins play in Carolina they'll be on the PK a lot.  I'm guessing it'll be something lke the Jersey game, that is with the Bruins on the PK a lot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Real tough one tonight. Even though their goaltending has been horrible I can see the Canes clamping down the Bruins offense.  Hopefully Bruisn capitolize on the opportunities.

Also Semin is playing this time around and like we've seen many times when the Bruins play in Carolina they'll be n the PK a lot.  I'm guessing it'll be something lke the Jersey game, that is with the Bruins on the PK a lot.

Im saying 5-2 Bruins.  Im really surprised Redden isnt getting a few gms in to stretch those legs.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

No Brent B's got a chance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Im saying 5-2 Bruins.  Im really surprised Redden isnt getting a few gms in to stretch those legs.  

I would give Seidenberg a rest, he's been awful on give-aways and not being able to get puck out of his own end .  He's looking like Ference did . 

Before anyone jumps on me I know Seids is valueable , he's just having a rough stretch , I just hope he's not nursing a small injury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to 86redsox's comment:

No Brent B's got a chance.

Alright !!!!  LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Fluto's take:

RALEIGH – Good morning from PNC Arena, where the Bruins will play the Hurricanes for the second time this week. The Bruins claimed the first meeting on Monday at TD Garden, 6-2.

Patrice Bergeron (concussion) is with the team and is expected to participate in the morning skate. Bergeron will not play tonight.

The Bruins didn’t have a full practice Friday, so they did not reveal any lineup changes. For now, we’ll go with Thursday’s lineup against the Islanders and update after the skate.

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley, Naoko Funayama),98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Bruins 26-10-4, Hurricanes 16-22-2

Projected Bruins lineup:

Daniel Paille-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Milan Lucic-Gregory Campbell-Jaromir Jagr
    Jordan Caron-Chris Kelly-Tyler Seguin
    Kaspars Daugavins-Rich Peverley-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Johnny Boychuk
    Matt Bartkowski-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Adam McQuaid

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Dougie Hamilton, Aaron Johnson, Jay Pandolfo, Wade Redden

Storylines: Carl Soderberg remains in limbo. The Bruins have signed Soderberg to a three-year contract and bought out his deal with Linkoping, his Swedish club. But the Swedish federation vetoed Soderberg’s transfer earlier this week. It will be up to the NHL to determine whether to stamp Soderberg’s transfer card or comply with the Swedes’ wishes… The Bruins can clinch a playoff spot by recording one point… Carolina has lost its last seven games. It is the franchise’s longest losing streak since relocating from Hartford… Ian Walsh and Dan O’Halloran will be the referees. Jonny Murray and Andy McElman will be the linesmen.

I really hope scratching Doughie will not become a habit. He is one of the few on the back end with any offensive instincts. Also, Redden is going to have to play a game sooner or later unless he is doomed to be the next MacDermid (the eternal scratch).

Yes i agree i hope Hamilton hasn't gotten in Julians dog house,because of some mistakes he has made,if cough the puck up Ferrence is still playing,but then we no Julian only punishes the kids for making mistakes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Also Semin is playing this time around and like we've seen many times when the Bruins play in Carolina they'll be n the PK a lot.  I'm guessing it'll be something lke the Jersey game, that is with the Bruins on the PK a lot.

That's the key.  Much like they did in NJ with the hope being they'll be able to lock down the other team this time and not give them a chance to get back in it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Penguins vs. Panthers tonight, so I'm going to miss this game.  It's okay by me, anyway.  I'm bringing a two sided sign to the game.

While wearing a Bourque jersey, one side will say:

Whatever, Iggy.  Don't Need You.

The other side will say:

Cooke, You Should Be In Jail

Unlike the Nazis in Boston, the BB&T encourages fans to flood the loge during warmups.  We're going to get there plenty early to get a spot on the glass behind the Pitt net.  There is no way these two don't see the sign and recognize the B's jersey.

Can't wait!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Penguins vs. Panthers tonight, so I'm going to miss this game.  It's okay by me, anyway.  I'm bringing a two sided sign to the game.

While wearing a Bourque jersey, one side will say:

Whatever, Iggy.  Don't Need You.

The other side will say:

Cooke, You Should Be In Jail

Unlike the Nazis in Boston, the BB&T encourages fans to flood the loge during warmups.  We're going to get there plenty early to get a spot on the glass behind the Pitt net.  There is no way these two don't see the sign and recognize the B's jersey.

Can't wait!

And I just went to setup my DVR for this game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Thanks jmwalters ...I know my peers (Bruins fans) ...will hate me forbsaying this but with 2 of the 3 stooges on the 4th line ..there is no way the Bruins can win this game I will say Canes 3 Bruins 2.....sad but until March and Bergy come back ...there is NO hope

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

More game notes, as per GNB:

***Spoiler Alert: Caron on the PP-your welcome Dez****

Patrice Bergeron will miss his sixth straight game tonight. But given the pace of Bergeron’s recovery, it’s a good bet the center will be back in uniform next week, perhaps as early as Monday against Ottawa.

Bergeron participated in the morning skate. During power-play drills, Bergeron served as a penalty killer.

“There’s no limitations anymore,” Bergeron said. “I can initiate contact and take contact and practice, obviously. Teammates always take it easy on you. But I feel fine. It’s good news that I’m cleared for that.”

Bergeron suffered his concussion on April 2 when he took an elbow from Ottawa’s Colin Greening. Doctors told Bergeron that Greening’s elbow struck him squarely enough – the impact was behind his left ear – to cause the concussion.

Bergeron had headaches initially. But his symptoms cleared more quickly than when he suffered his previous concussion in the 2010-11 playoffs.

“I felt better quicker,” Bergeron said. “The symptoms went away quicker this time. I had some headaches the first day. The next day, I was fine. It was very encouraging. I’ve been asymptomatic for quite a while now since the injury. It’s really good news – working out, skating, pushing and shoving with guys, I feel fine. I’m feeling good and it’s positive.”

* Dougie Hamilton will be a healthy scratch for the second straight game. Hamilton will be back in the lineup on Monday, Claude Julien said. “Two games in a row almost allows him five days to get some good rest – close to a week,” Julien said. “I think that will make a big difference. We value him. He’s a good player. He’ll be back in our lineup next game. Rest is the only reason he’s been sitting out. It’s certainly not because of his play.”

* Milan Lucic was not part of either unit during power-play drills. Lucic was not on the power play on Thursday against the Islanders. Gregory Campbell and Jordan Caron served as the net-front men this morning.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

According to Fluto "Gregory Campbell and Jordan Caron served as the net-front men" during PP drills.  It could be Dmitri Kvartalnov in there but I hope the Bruins get their behinds in the Canes' goalie's face.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

* Dougie Hamilton will be a healthy scratch for the second straight game. Hamilton will be back in the lineup on Monday, Claude Julien said. “Two games in a row almost allows him five days to get some good rest – close to a week,” Julien said. “I think that will make a big difference. We value him. He’s a good player. He’ll be back in our lineup next game. Rest is the only reason he’s been sitting out. It’s certainly not because of his play.”

[/QUOTE]

So much for the conspiracy theories ( Julien's doghouse ) on why Hamilton is not playing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

More game notes, as per GNB:

***Spoiler Alert: Caron on the PP-your welcome Dez****

* Milan Lucic was not part of either unit during power-play drills. Lucic was not on the power play on Thursday against the Islanders. Gregory Campbell and Jordan Caron served as the net-front men this morning.

Didn't see you already had this up, jm. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The only powerplay strategy should only be, get the puck to Jagr and get ready to put away a sweet pass. If that first shot does not get in be ready to clean up the rebound with a put back. Since the Bruins aquired Jagr the powerplay is at right around 27%.

PS. Oh and also always do as Asmaha suggests "Keep the dry eraser away from Geoff Ward".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

No worries.

Gold star for referencing Kvartalnov, though....excellent!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

So much for the conspiracy theories ( Julien's doghouse ) on why Hamilton is not playing.

Glad to read this....I am sure Doughie is as well. Nothing more affriming thant a coach publically affirming your play when you are a youngster.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

The only powerplay strategy should only be, get the puck to Jagr and get ready to put away a sweet pass. If that first shot does not get in be ready to clean up the rebound with a put back. Since the Bruins aquired Jagr the powerplay is at right around 27%.

PS. Oh and also always do as Asmaha suggests "Keep the dry eraser away from Geoff Ward".

Can't wait to see the look on Jagr's face when Caron whiffs on all his sweet, sweet passes....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

No worries.

Gold star for referencing Kvartalnov, though....excellent!

His azz would do if he planted it in front of goaltenders for the Bruins.  Tomas Holmstrom was a master at it for years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

[/QUOTE]

So the yougest player needs rest,hope he's going to do that with the rest of defence,Chara has looked preatty tired lately,and how about Ferrence he's looked tired or something the entire season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

So the yougest player needs rest,hope he's going to do that with the rest of defence,Chara has looked preatty tired lately,and how about Ferrence he's looked tired or something the entire season.

Not enough protein in his diet?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not enough protein in his diet?

Sean Avery never had this problem.

Sections
Shortcuts