Game 42: Bruins v. Sens (15/04/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 42: Bruins v. Sens (15/04/13)

Last 10: Ottawa 5-5-0; Boston 5-4-1

Season series: Fifth and final meeting of the regular season between these Northeast Division rivals. The Boston Bruins can complete a sweep of the Ottawa Senators, with all four of their victories coming by a single goal. One was decided in overtime (Patrice Bergeron), another in a shootout (David Krejci).

Big story: Defense and goaltending have reigned when the Bruins and Senators play this season. Ottawa has only come away with a pair of consolation points, but Robin Lehner has a .944 save percentage in four starts against Boston. On the other side, Tuukka Rask has a .952 save percentage in two starts, and Anton Khudobin has a .960 save percentage in two starts.

Team Scope:

Senators: This is the finale of a seven-game road trip that also began in Boston on April 2. A season-high five-game losing streak put what at one point seemed like a surefire berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs in peril, but Ottawa didn't panic and enters Monday with consecutive wins and a four-point lead over ninth-place Winnipeg in the Eastern Conference. The Senators were outshot 33-11 in New Jersey on Friday, but Craig Anderson was flawless in his third start back off an ankle injury and Jean-Gabriel Pageau's first NHL goal proved decisive in a 2-0 victory.

"We got two points and that's all that matters," Anderson said. "I feel 33 shots isn't a lot of work … that's pretty average for us. So I think the guys did a great job of cleaning up rebounds in front. It felt like I was leaving a lot of junk out there, but the battle level in front of the net was outstanding in getting to the loose pucks."

Bruins: This is the start of a four-game homestand for Boston, which once again tries to clinch a postseason berth. The opportunity was there Saturday for the Bruins to also retake the lead in the Northeast Division with Montreal getting routed in Toronto, but they were unable to take advantage. Their uneven play of late continued with a 4-2 loss to the Hurricanes, who snapped a seven-game losing streak. Milan Lucic and Tyler Seguin scored for the Bruins, who were without Bergeron and Brad Marchand due to concussions.

"We're starting to turn that corner," coach Claude Julien said. "I think it will get better. We have another two weeks here and this is where it has to happen. I sense some things coming around. We've just got to push in the areas that we have to improve and we'll be OK."

Who's hot: Milan Michalek scored a goal for the Senators in his return to the lineup Friday. He had assists in three consecutive games prior to getting hurt and missing over a month of action. … Seguin has goals in three consecutive games for the Bruins. Jaromir Jagr has six assists during a four-game points streak.

Injury report: Ottawa is without defensemen Jared Cowen (hip) and Erik Karlsson (Achilles) and forwards Jason Spezza (back) and Mike Hoffman (collarbone). … Bergeron has missed six consecutive games for the Bruins, but has been skating and seems possible for Monday. Marchand has been out the past two games and appears less likely to play.

In short, both teams are fading down the stretch.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Game 42: Bruins v. Sens (15/04/13)

Time for the ex sens dmen to partner up for old times sakes.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

God, I hope so....Redden needs to play at least once before the post-season starts.

Rest Boychuk or Seidenberg...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Time for the ex sens dmen to partner up for old times sakes. 

Yah Redden needs to play a bit. I thought he would have some games in by now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Morning skate tweets from KPD are interesting.  15 F and 9 D skated.  At least one line involved KrejĨi-Jagr.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

God, I hope so....Redden needs to play at least once before the post-season starts.

Rest Boychuk or Seidenberg...

I think Ference is getting the night off. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

KPD's take for tonight:

***spoiler alert: Bergeron is a game time decision***

Hello from TD Bank Garden, where it appears Patrice Bergeron will return to the Boston lineup this evening when the Bruins face the Senators on Causeway Street.

Bergeron was sidelined two weeks ago with his fourth career concussion when hit by Ottawa's Colin Greening in what appeared to be a routine goal-mouth collision.

''The final decision's not mine,'' Bergeron said after skating this morning on a line that he centered with Milan Lucic on his left and Tyler Seguin on his right. ''But I feel I can play tonight.''

Coach Claude Julien said the decision, as always, will be made in concert with Bergeron, club management, coaches, trainers and doctors. In other words: game time decision. The bet here: 90 percent chance he suits up.

''When you have been through what Patrice has been through,'' noted Julien, ''you always make sure you are extra safe with him.''

Andrew Ference gets the night off. Doug Hamilton, given the last two games to rest, moves into Ference's blue line spot.

Brad Marchand, concussed Wednesday night in Newark, skated for a second day in a row and reported that he felt well after the morning skate. He has yet to be cleared for contact.

Look for Tuukka Rask to get tonight's start. Rask took the loss Saturday night in Raleigh and is now 17-8-4.

Puck drop: 7:05 p.m. EST

Record: Bruins, 26-11-4; Senators, 21-14-6.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley and Naoko Funayama; 98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Projected lineup:

Gregoy Campbell-David Krejci-Jaromir Jagr
    Milan Lucic-Patrice Bergeron-Tyler Seguin
    Danny Paille-Chris Kelly-Nathan Horton
    Kaspars Daugavins-Rich Peverley-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Johnny Boychuk
    Dennis Seidenberg-Dougie Hamilton
    Adam McQuaid-Matt Bartkowski

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Aaron Johnson (D); Wade Redden (D); Andrew Ference (D); Jay Pandolfo (F); Carl Soderberg(F), Jordan Caron (F)

Injured: Brad Marchand (concussion).

Story lines: The Bruins are trying to reestablish their game after back-to-back losses to the Islanders and Canes, only the second time this season they have lost two straight in regulation....One point tonight will clinch a sixth straight trip to the playoffs for the Bruins...Boston is a measley 3-for-30 on the power play over the last 15 games. The PK unit is 29-for-36 (80.5 percent) over the same 15 games....The Bruins have been outshot in each of the last six games, for a combined 213-168 deficit....Ference is out (coach's decision) for the first time this season. He logged over 20 minutes of time on ice in each of the last five games....Referees: Brad Meier and Chris Rooney; Linesemen: Michael Cormier and Brad Kovachik.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Interesting because I thought Ference was doing well the last couple of games

Oh well....probably why CJ is the coach and not me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Interesting because I thought Ference was doing well the last couple of games

Oh well....probably why CJ is the coach and not me.

Maybe its the rest one d-man at a time thing and nothing more.I thought Ference was doing well too.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Maybe its the rest one d-man at a time thing and nothing more.I thought Ference was doing well too.

Sounds reasonable. Redden really does need to get a game in at some point, however.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Probably tonight's lineup:

Gregoy Campbell-David Krejci-Jaromir Jagr

More changes , wouldn't it been easier like this , Campbell is used to playing on the 4th line.

Rich Peverley-David Krejci-Jaromir Jagr
    Kaspars Daugavins-Gregoy Campbell-Shawn Thornton

or and re-unite Peverely with Kelly , keeping Horton with David and his last chance on the top line ?

Nathan Horton-David Krejci-Jaromir Jagr
    Danny Paille-Chris Kelly-Rich Peverley

Kaspars Daugavins-Gregoy Campbell-Shawn Thornton

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I guess Julien looks at the new lines and they're well balanced with 2 guys that can play center on each line .  Also each line has at least one player that is very defensive minded.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

This is actually pretty encouraging:

Projected lineup:

Gregory Campbell-David Krejci-Jaromir Jagr

It leads me to believe that Campbell is merely a placeholder for Marchand (and a good one at that), and then he'll move down to replace Daug when Marchand comes back. Those Bergeron and Kelly lines are exactly what I want to see. Fingers crossed....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"The Bruins have been outshot in each of the last six games, for a combined 213-168 deficit."

This is why I have not been questioning the golatending this year, that's pathetic puck possesion.

@Legion Peverley on the 1st line or top 9 is a joke for any Bruins lineup. He has done nothing to earn it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Projected lineup:

It leads me to believe that Campbell is merely a placeholder for Marchand (and a good one at that), and then he'll move down to replace Daug when Marchand comes back. Those Bergeron and Kelly lines are exactly what I want to see. Fingers crossed....

Then Soderberg replaces Paille who replaces Thornton.  I would play Kelly at Center and Peverley on the wing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

GOOD LORD ! ! !   I HATE TODO THIS ....

2 o the 3 stooges in the line up ...nowin again for the B's .....

Sens 2  Bruins 1

No mean to brag about it but I had Canes 4-2 last game and the one before I had yhe NYI to win ....as long as we will have 2 or 3 of th stooges in the line up we will not win ...we can manage with 1 but thats about it ....tonight I see Thornton and PEV ...o agaian ...no win

Realy sorry guys ..I am pissed as much as you are...but there is not much u can do when u play with only 4lines....see ou tonight during the game ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to RickyHussle's comment:

In response to asmaha's comment:

Projected lineup:

Then Soderberg replaces Paille who replaces Thornton.  I would play Kelly at Center and Peverley on the wing.

Exactly RH.

Soderberg-Kelly-Horton

Peverly-Campbell-Paille

Those are two great looking 3rd and 4th lines. If Soderberg isn't as advertised, Peverly or Paille can get bumped back up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"The Bruins have been outshot in each of the last six games, for a combined 213-168 deficit."

This is why I have not been questioning the golatending this year, that's pathetic puck possesion.

@Legion Peverley on the 1st line or top 9 is a joke for any Bruins lineup. He has done nothing to earn it.

SanDogBrein....FINALLY another fan that has noticed the poor play of PEV ...is that so diffcult to se that PEV never goes within 25ft of the goalie ..he stays around and skates like a mosquito tht doesnt want to be killed....ime to turn the page on him ....time to try to give him away for a 3rd round pick r buy his contrct ...he hurts our team so badly

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Thank God Soderberg i coing ..that means Thornton or PEV ..OUT

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

When Bergeron and Machand come back ..

Seguin-March-Bergeron

Campbell Krejci-Looch

Horton-Paille-Kelly

Jagr -Soderberg-Caron

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

When Bergeron and Machand come back ..

Seguin-March-Bergeron

Campbell Krejci-Looch

Horton-Paille-Kelly

Jagr -Soderberg-Caron

Soderberg is not going to play center for CJ, not yet at least. And Jagr on the 4th line? Don't like this lineup

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I wonder if the game will be postponed now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from originalcallodthedom. Show originalcallodthedom's posts

On my way to the game. Any update?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

No game don't go into the city